American University Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
z0rk
Posts: 328
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:11 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby z0rk » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:18 pm

joshuajsmith wrote:
lovelydarkanddeep wrote:In an entirely unwise move, I decided to look at the c/o 2015 American thread last night. People with numbers right at their averages and A LOT of people above their averages were getting WL and denied. I guess they are notorious for YPing (which is evident if you look at their LSN graph.) Perhaps this sheds some light (very dark light) on why some of us who applied in September or October still haven't heard. Or maybe I sent them the wrong PS? Gonna go check that....

Oh and one final nugget of sadness, it looks like they historically haven't given merit aid to anyone who wasn't above their 75% for BOTH GPA and LSAT. Joy.


Stop trying to read the tea leaves of last cycle. Apps are down. Money is better. The word is out about law school (i.e. it's only smart if you REALLY want to be a lawyer). It's a buyer's market. This is the best time in years to be an applicant.

This isn't to say that you (or anyone else in your situation) are a slam dunk or that American (or other notoriously "tight" schools with $$) is going to suddenly start making it rain. But this year IS different. Apply broadly, see where you get in, and negotiate.


1L at WCL here. I will say that they are very tight on giving out aid and I doubt that trend will change. I got offered a huge scholly from a lower ranked school and tried to use it to lure even just a tiny amount and they wouldn't budge. The official response I got was -- above the median for both GPA and LSAT or you are not qualified. That said, it could mean that people below 75th for both could get scholly money.

They also do a strong job on yield protecting, and in a buyers market they might target harder to ensure that the school does not drop rank or drop significantly.

User avatar
gatorgirl2012
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:57 am

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:36 pm

z0rk wrote:
joshuajsmith wrote:
lovelydarkanddeep wrote:In an entirely unwise move, I decided to look at the c/o 2015 American thread last night. People with numbers right at their averages and A LOT of people above their averages were getting WL and denied. I guess they are notorious for YPing (which is evident if you look at their LSN graph.) Perhaps this sheds some light (very dark light) on why some of us who applied in September or October still haven't heard. Or maybe I sent them the wrong PS? Gonna go check that....

Oh and one final nugget of sadness, it looks like they historically haven't given merit aid to anyone who wasn't above their 75% for BOTH GPA and LSAT. Joy.


Stop trying to read the tea leaves of last cycle. Apps are down. Money is better. The word is out about law school (i.e. it's only smart if you REALLY want to be a lawyer). It's a buyer's market. This is the best time in years to be an applicant.

This isn't to say that you (or anyone else in your situation) are a slam dunk or that American (or other notoriously "tight" schools with $$) is going to suddenly start making it rain. But this year IS different. Apply broadly, see where you get in, and negotiate.


1L at WCL here. I will say that they are very tight on giving out aid and I doubt that trend will change. I got offered a huge scholly from a lower ranked school and tried to use it to lure even just a tiny amount and they wouldn't budge. The official response I got was -- above the median for both GPA and LSAT or you are not qualified. That said, it could mean that people below 75th for both could get scholly money.

They also do a strong job on yield protecting, and in a buyers market they might target harder to ensure that the school does not drop rank or drop significantly.


Do you feel your education is worth it so far? Are you hopeful for jobs/internships? What I've heard is that even though it's not the top school in DC, you're still in a good position to get great internships or jobs during the spring or fall when competition isnt as cut throat as it is during the summer. This is a huge factor in American's favor in my book...

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:46 pm

gatorgirl2012 wrote:
z0rk wrote:
joshuajsmith wrote:
lovelydarkanddeep wrote:In an entirely unwise move, I decided to look at the c/o 2015 American thread last night. People with numbers right at their averages and A LOT of people above their averages were getting WL and denied. I guess they are notorious for YPing (which is evident if you look at their LSN graph.) Perhaps this sheds some light (very dark light) on why some of us who applied in September or October still haven't heard. Or maybe I sent them the wrong PS? Gonna go check that....

Oh and one final nugget of sadness, it looks like they historically haven't given merit aid to anyone who wasn't above their 75% for BOTH GPA and LSAT. Joy.


Stop trying to read the tea leaves of last cycle. Apps are down. Money is better. The word is out about law school (i.e. it's only smart if you REALLY want to be a lawyer). It's a buyer's market. This is the best time in years to be an applicant.

This isn't to say that you (or anyone else in your situation) are a slam dunk or that American (or other notoriously "tight" schools with $$) is going to suddenly start making it rain. But this year IS different. Apply broadly, see where you get in, and negotiate.


1L at WCL here. I will say that they are very tight on giving out aid and I doubt that trend will change. I got offered a huge scholly from a lower ranked school and tried to use it to lure even just a tiny amount and they wouldn't budge. The official response I got was -- above the median for both GPA and LSAT or you are not qualified. That said, it could mean that people below 75th for both could get scholly money.

They also do a strong job on yield protecting, and in a buyers market they might target harder to ensure that the school does not drop rank or drop significantly.


Do you feel your education is worth it so far? Are you hopeful for jobs/internships? What I've heard is that even though it's not the top school in DC, you're still in a good position to get great internships or jobs during the spring or fall when competition isnt as cut throat as it is during the summer. This is a huge factor in American's favor in my book...


Tag. Would love to know more as the general thinking on TLS about AU is no no no (run run run)

User avatar
gatorgirl2012
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:57 am

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:54 pm

bump! we want answers! haha

User avatar
romanticegotist
Posts: 1755
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:57 pm

I mean you're probably just gonna get a *shrug* "It depends on who you are/who you know/etc"

User avatar
Sadieche2464
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:47 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby Sadieche2464 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:00 pm

How long before you guys went complete? It's been a week and I'm still at app rec'd?

cnk
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:44 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby cnk » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:05 pm

I went complete 2 days after submitting my app

ssmith29
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:00 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby ssmith29 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:04 pm

cnk wrote:I'm still at a 2nd complete from 12/14 (originally complete from 11/17). Unfortunately there seems to be no precise method to this waiting game. I've heard back from some schools I've applied to in December w/in 2 weeks of applying, and still sitting at complete at others for months now even though I went complete in October/early November. :shock:


I'm at the same status, almost identical dates. I applied mid-Nov, and have heard from every other law school I applied to. 167/3.53, I don't know why American is taking so long.

User avatar
gjk07fsu
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby gjk07fsu » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:22 pm

Accepted today. Considering going for broke and swallowing the high tuition cost and attending a great law school here. Also going to come down to Chicago-Kent's decision FT.
Last edited by gjk07fsu on Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gatorgirl2012
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:57 am

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:09 pm

I received my official letter today.... no swag, just a magnet.... lol not even a viewbook, in an effort to be environmentally friendly it claims, whatever

has anyone had issues logging on with their AU ID? I was way more excited to receive my official letter until I actually received it lol

zoomzoom88
Posts: 644
Joined: Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 am

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby zoomzoom88 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:13 pm

i want scholly info.

User avatar
gatorgirl2012
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:57 am

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:18 pm

zoomzoom88 wrote:i want scholly info.



haha me too, from what i understand that doesn't come until march :/

User avatar
Sadieche2464
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:47 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby Sadieche2464 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:07 pm

cnk wrote:I went complete 2 days after submitting my app



I wonder if I should contact admissions. All of my other apps went complete within two days.

njpark
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby njpark » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:20 pm

Sadieche2464 wrote:How long before you guys went complete? It's been a week and I'm still at app rec'd?


I've been at "Application Received" since 1/7

User avatar
Sadieche2464
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:47 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby Sadieche2464 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:33 pm

njpark wrote:
Sadieche2464 wrote:How long before you guys went complete? It's been a week and I'm still at app rec'd?


I've been at "Application Received" since 1/7



Same date for me.

User avatar
gjk07fsu
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby gjk07fsu » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:49 pm

gatorgirl2012 wrote:I received my official letter today.... no swag, just a magnet.... lol not even a viewbook, in an effort to be environmentally friendly it claims, whatever

has anyone had issues logging on with their AU ID? I was way more excited to receive my official letter until I actually received it lol

I received my letter yesterday, and have been unable to log in with the AU ID. Haven't contacted tech support yet, though.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:55 pm

gjk07fsu wrote:
gatorgirl2012 wrote:I received my official letter today.... no swag, just a magnet.... lol not even a viewbook, in an effort to be environmentally friendly it claims, whatever

has anyone had issues logging on with their AU ID? I was way more excited to receive my official letter until I actually received it lol

I received my letter yesterday, and have been unable to log in with the AU ID. Haven't contacted tech support yet, though.


I wouldn't bother. I logged into mine it has no FA info and nothing too interesting. It does set up an AU email but that is pretty premature for me :shock:

User avatar
ariadne328
Posts: 140
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:38 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby ariadne328 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:28 pm

JayJones78 wrote:
gjk07fsu wrote:
gatorgirl2012 wrote:I received my official letter today.... no swag, just a magnet.... lol not even a viewbook, in an effort to be environmentally friendly it claims, whatever

has anyone had issues logging on with their AU ID? I was way more excited to receive my official letter until I actually received it lol

I received my letter yesterday, and have been unable to log in with the AU ID. Haven't contacted tech support yet, though.


I wouldn't bother. I logged into mine it has no FA info and nothing too interesting. It does set up an AU email but that is pretty premature for me :shock:

This. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Thinking back, when I went through the registration process, I remember having to wait before this information actually allowed me to log into their system. I obviously don't know how long you waited to try logging in, but if it was right away just give it some time and try again.

User avatar
gjk07fsu
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby gjk07fsu » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:49 pm

ariadne328 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
gjk07fsu wrote:
gatorgirl2012 wrote:I received my official letter today.... no swag, just a magnet.... lol not even a viewbook, in an effort to be environmentally friendly it claims, whatever

has anyone had issues logging on with their AU ID? I was way more excited to receive my official letter until I actually received it lol

I received my letter yesterday, and have been unable to log in with the AU ID. Haven't contacted tech support yet, though.


I wouldn't bother. I logged into mine it has no FA info and nothing too interesting. It does set up an AU email but that is pretty premature for me :shock:

This. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Thinking back, when I went through the registration process, I remember having to wait before this information actually allowed me to log into their system. I obviously don't know how long you waited to try logging in, but if it was right away just give it some time and try again.

Makes sense. I assumed FA information would be available now. If it isn't, I have no reason to care about logging in.

Thank you both

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:59 pm

ariadne328 wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:
gjk07fsu wrote:
gatorgirl2012 wrote:I received my official letter today.... no swag, just a magnet.... lol not even a viewbook, in an effort to be environmentally friendly it claims, whatever


I wouldn't bother. I logged into mine it has no FA info and nothing too interesting. It does set up an AU email but that is pretty premature for me :shock:

This. I wouldn't worry about it yet.

Thinking back, when I went through the registration process, I remember having to wait before this information actually allowed me to log into their system. I obviously don't know how long you waited to try logging in, but if it was right away just give it some time and try again.

Makes sense. I assumed FA information would be available now. If it isn't, I have no reason to care about logging in.

Thank you both


Sure. Do you think you'll accept? AU is one of the school that I'm very very cautious about..

njpark
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby njpark » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:03 pm

Sadieche2464 wrote:
njpark wrote:
Sadieche2464 wrote:How long before you guys went complete? It's been a week and I'm still at app rec'd?


I've been at "Application Received" since 1/7



Same date for me.




Finally went complete today!

User avatar
gjk07fsu
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby gjk07fsu » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:28 am

JayJones78 wrote:Sure. Do you think you'll accept? AU is one of the school that I'm very very cautious about..

For me, it comes down to Chicago-Kent's decision. I've wanted to move to Chicago (I'm a South Florida guy all my life) for the past two years, and just sent an AU application out to have another option in a city like DC. I wasn't expecting to get accepted. C-K is close enough in ranking and prestige that I would probably choose it over AU, because I'd prefer to be in Chicago.

Why so cautious about AU? Is it the high price tag? Competition in the legal market against better schools like Georgetown and GW? AU is still a great school, in a great city.

User avatar
JayJones78
Posts: 2025
Joined: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:50 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby JayJones78 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:19 am

gjk07fsu wrote:
JayJones78 wrote:Sure. Do you think you'll accept? AU is one of the school that I'm very very cautious about..

For me, it comes down to Chicago-Kent's decision. I've wanted to move to Chicago (I'm a South Florida guy all my life) for the past two years, and just sent an AU application out to have another option in a city like DC. I wasn't expecting to get accepted. C-K is close enough in ranking and prestige that I would probably choose it over AU, because I'd prefer to be in Chicago.

Why so cautious about AU? Is it the high price tag? Competition in the legal market against better schools like Georgetown and GW? AU is still a great school, in a great city.


All of the above and a probalameric job prospects. My cycle is not even close to be over but if it'll come down to the two acceptance I have (AU and W&L) I may choose W&L because the low to extremely low COL there (and its a much much higher ranked school)

sergiokun16
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 4:52 pm

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby sergiokun16 » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:44 pm

Ladies and Gents, I give you Professor Steve Vladeck of WCL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_mBh3jf2z8

Jdawgie
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:40 am

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby Jdawgie » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:25 am

I'm in.

165 3.27 URM

All's quiet on the scholarship front. I simply won't go for sticker price.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: a.sch, bigv, cyclawps, elcamino4, jer0689, lsa16, pantsuitchic, patrickkpaul and 30 guests