American University Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
2012Lsatscore

Re: American University Class of 2016

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:09 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

badnewsbears

Postby badnewsbears » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:36 pm

admitted 1/4/12 by email and status checker =)

meepmeep17

Postby meepmeep17 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:47 pm

My status just changed the date of complete to today after having no movement since 11/14... It had said, "complete" before hand....So I am hoping it changes again to accepted! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted thus far!

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:49 pm

165/3.27. Submitted on 9/19, last movement on status check was "Application Complete" on 12/7. I definitely feel like they are sitting on me.

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:55 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

doglover0702

Postby doglover0702 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:55 pm

my status went complete a while ago, but the status date changed today. I hope there's some more movement on it today as well! but i'm expecting a waitlist, so we'll see!

cnk

Postby cnk » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:37 pm

I'm still at a 2nd complete from 12/14 (originally complete from 11/17). Unfortunately there seems to be no precise method to this waiting game. I've heard back from some schools I've applied to in December w/in 2 weeks of applying, and still sitting at complete at others for months now even though I went complete in October/early November. :shock:

sergiokun16

Postby sergiokun16 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:03 pm

For those admitted and waiting for a letter in the mail, I spoke with admissions today and they said sometimes things get delayed during the holiday season so keep checking the mailbox and contact them if it isn't there in a week.

cgw

Postby cgw » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:58 pm

meepmeep17 wrote:My status just changed the date of complete to today after having no movement since 11/14... It had said, "complete" before hand....So I am hoping it changes again to accepted! Congrats to everyone who has been accepted thus far!

Same with me. I was so excited when I saw the change in date. :(

njpark

Postby njpark » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Applied last night :D

lovelydarkanddeep

Postby lovelydarkanddeep » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:03 am

In an entirely unwise move, I decided to look at the c/o 2015 American thread last night. People with numbers right at their averages and A LOT of people above their averages were getting WL and denied. I guess they are notorious for YPing (which is evident if you look at their LSN graph.) Perhaps this sheds some light (very dark light) on why some of us who applied in September or October still haven't heard. Or maybe I sent them the wrong PS? Gonna go check that....

Oh and one final nugget of sadness, it looks like they historically haven't given merit aid to anyone who wasn't above their 75% for BOTH GPA and LSAT. Joy.

joshuajsmith

Postby joshuajsmith » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:08 am

lovelydarkanddeep wrote:In an entirely unwise move, I decided to look at the c/o 2015 American thread last night. People with numbers right at their averages and A LOT of people above their averages were getting WL and denied. I guess they are notorious for YPing (which is evident if you look at their LSN graph.) Perhaps this sheds some light (very dark light) on why some of us who applied in September or October still haven't heard. Or maybe I sent them the wrong PS? Gonna go check that....

Oh and one final nugget of sadness, it looks like they historically haven't given merit aid to anyone who wasn't above their 75% for BOTH GPA and LSAT. Joy.

Stop trying to read the tea leaves of last cycle. Apps are down. Money is better. The word is out about law school (i.e. it's only smart if you REALLY want to be a lawyer). It's a buyer's market. This is the best time in years to be an applicant.

This isn't to say that you (or anyone else in your situation) are a slam dunk or that American (or other notoriously "tight" schools with $$) is going to suddenly start making it rain. But this year IS different. Apply broadly, see where you get in, and negotiate.

ajax

Postby ajax » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:12 am

lovelydarkanddeep wrote:In an entirely unwise move, I decided to look at the c/o 2015 American thread last night. People with numbers right at their averages and A LOT of people above their averages were getting WL and denied. I guess they are notorious for YPing (which is evident if you look at their LSN graph.) Perhaps this sheds some light (very dark light) on why some of us who applied in September or October still haven't heard. Or maybe I sent them the wrong PS? Gonna go check that....

Besides looking at last year's admit numbers, there are other numbers that you may want to take a glance at:

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... n&show=ABA

Take from these what you will. My commentary remains neutral.

lovelydarkanddeep

Postby lovelydarkanddeep » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:23 am

joshuajsmith wrote:

Stop trying to read the tea leaves of last cycle. Apps are down. Money is better. The word is out about law school (i.e. it's only smart if you REALLY want to be a lawyer). It's a buyer's market. This is the best time in years to be an applicant.

This isn't to say that you (or anyone else in your situation) are a slam dunk or that American (or other notoriously "tight" schools with $$) is going to suddenly start making it rain. But this year IS different. Apply broadly, see where you get in, and negotiate.

Hey, thanks for the lecture. I prefer to be informed about the past trends and have realistic expectations. I thought perhaps some of the other applicants would feel that way as well. Good luck with your optimism though. I really hope that works out for you.

joshuajsmith

Postby joshuajsmith » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:27 am

lovelydarkanddeep wrote:
joshuajsmith wrote:

Hey, thanks for the lecture. I prefer to be informed about the past trends and have realistic expectations. I thought perhaps some of the other applicants would feel that way as well. Good luck with your optimism though. I really hope that works out for you.

Wasn't a lecture, it was encouragement. Also seems like you missed the second graph re: realistic expectations. But thanks for pointing out my optimism. Enjoy your half empty glass.

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:25 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

doglover0702

Postby doglover0702 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:43 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:It looks like I'm not going to make the PIPS deadline. I can't find three professional references that are familiar with my work and give them ample time to get back in touch and familiarize themselves with me and my work. C'est la vie. Since their merit awards are laughable, It looks like I'm withdrawing. No one should pay that much tuition outside of the T-14.

Plus, a glance at LST suggests that American is an unwise investment whether you get a big scholarship or not. EVERYONE considering going should take a look at this. Seriously, I am kind of amazed that they are still filling their seats.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=american

And don't just take it from me:

"If someone were to re-rank the top 100 USNWR law schools according to something resembling the relative value of each degree, American would perhaps have the lowest spot"

"For the love of God don't go to American."

"Traditionally, people have told those who're considering American to be hesitant about attending considering the high tuition cost in tandem with how the graduates are forced to compete for jobs in a saturated market with many other higher ranked schools."

"I know people who recently graduated from American. Unless you are top 5-10%, you will be lucky to get any job that requires a JD - let alone international law. There are very, very few genuine "international law" jobs, and they go to the top graduates from HYS.

The American grad I know best is now working retail, after desperately trying to land any JD-required job that would pay her. I believe she was around median. Some of her friends did a little better, but all had to struggle for any paying JD-required job, and only some succeeded.

American and GWU have especially bad employment prospects, because many of the best t14 grads want to work in DC, and they generally take the best jobs."

I'm only raising this red flag because I didn't see it posted in the previous pages and I think it is important that someone post it in this thread. Someone a few posts up supplied the link, but I think the bleakness needs emphasizing. All applicants should be aware of what they are getting into.

I thought these sort of comments were to be posted in "choosing a school" forums? People are talking about admissions, not choosing.

Kaytei

Postby Kaytei » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:18 pm

doglover0702 wrote:
2012Lsatscore wrote:It looks like I'm not going to make the PIPS deadline. I can't find three professional references that are familiar with my work and give them ample time to get back in touch and familiarize themselves with me and my work. C'est la vie. Since their merit awards are laughable, It looks like I'm withdrawing. No one should pay that much tuition outside of the T-14.

Plus, a glance at LST suggests that American is an unwise investment whether you get a big scholarship or not. EVERYONE considering going should take a look at this. Seriously, I am kind of amazed that they are still filling their seats.

"If someone were to re-rank the top 100 USNWR law schools according to something resembling the relative value of each degree, American would perhaps have the lowest spot"

"Traditionally, people have told those who're considering American to be hesitant about attending considering the high tuition cost in tandem with how the graduates are forced to compete for jobs in a saturated market with many other higher ranked schools."

"I know people who recently graduated from American. Unless you are top 5-10%, you will be lucky to get any job that requires a JD - let alone international law. There are very, very few genuine "international law" jobs, and they go to the top graduates from HYS.

The American grad I know best is now working retail, after desperately trying to land any JD-required job that would pay her. I believe she was around median. Some of her friends did a little better, but all had to struggle for any paying JD-required job, and only some succeeded.

American and GWU have especially bad employment prospects, because many of the best t14 grads want to work in DC, and they generally take the best jobs."

I'm only raising this red flag because I didn't see it posted in the previous pages and I think it is important that someone post it in this thread. Someone a few posts up supplied the link, but I think the bleakness needs emphasizing. All applicants should be aware of what they are getting into.

I thought these sort of comments were to be posted in "choosing a school" forums? People are talking about admissions, not choosing.

Yep, that is a bannable offense by the mods. And for good reason. They don't want people who feel jaded to post their "enlightened" opinions of the school in question where people are only discussing admission info. Save that for discussions about which school to attend.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:39 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=146613

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=146613

CMC88

Postby CMC88 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:26 pm

Rejected today--I'll assume it was for YP reasons.

Best of luck to all of you. A friend of mine graduated American Law this past year and enjoyed his experience.

cnk

Postby cnk » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:59 pm

CMC88 wrote:Rejected today--I'll assume it was for YP reasons.

Best of luck to all of you. A friend of mine graduated American Law this past year and enjoyed his experience.

sorry to hear but from your profile it looks like you already have great offers :D when did you go complete btw?

danitt

Postby danitt » Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:02 pm

CMC88 wrote:Rejected today--I'll assume it was for YP reasons.

Ok, I totally creeped on your profile and I have to ask why you're not applying to more T-14 schools. You're a shoo-in with those numbers!

aqbi

Postby aqbi » Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:38 pm

Anyone know if American reimburses travel costs for ASW? If they do, how much?

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:22 pm

I was accepted crazy quick here! I won't fully believe it until I receive the hard copy in the mail. I am wary about the cost, but I'm highly considering attending given the location. Also, I have a relative that just graduated from American, loved it, and secured a job in DC shortly after graduating. I think it depends on what you're looking for. I'm not about to discredit an institution based off an amalgamation of the worst things anyone can say about a law school. I intend on visiting and waiting to hear back from other schools, which are admittedly higher ranked for the most part. I'm quite pleased with this acceptance but I'm not placing any eggs in this basket quite yet.

JayJones78

Postby JayJones78 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:15 pm

gatorgirl2012 wrote:I was accepted crazy quick here! I won't fully believe it until I receive the hard copy in the mail. I am wary about the cost, but I'm highly considering attending given the location. Also, I have a relative that just graduated from American, loved it, and secured a job in DC shortly after graduating. I think it depends on what you're looking for. I'm not about to discredit an institution based off an amalgamation of the worst things anyone can say about a law school. I intend on visiting and waiting to hear back from other schools, which are admittedly higher ranked for the most part. I'm quite pleased with this acceptance but I'm not placing any eggs in this basket quite yet.

+1. In the same boat exactly.

Admitted Friday.

12-26-12/01-02-13/01-11-13

unsure if I'll attend. Lots to consider. Still nice to get accepted considering my numbers.

My LSN is in my profile if it interests anyone.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”