University of Iowa Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby typ3 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:20 pm

chrisbru wrote:
feralinfant wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
0808millerd wrote:I am pulling in anywhere between 50 and 60 a week with some weeks being more and the compensation isn't as luxurious as you may think. I would probably take Loyola-Chicago over Iowa for the reasons you stated, but having an acceptance to Iowa would A) be a great option and B) potential help in pulling scholarship money from other lower ranked schools (i.e.- Loyola).


How much do you expect to be making as an attorney? $25/hour is considered high at this point (for internships), and anyone making over $60k a year after graduation is pretty excited as far as I've seen.

Not trying to be negative here, just making sure people know what they are getting into. I left a $50k a year job for the very real possibility of making that same amount with $80k in student loans and 3 years of wages lost.


these are fair warnings but poster mentioned he works at a nice law firm and has the opportunity to go back which possibly makes this a reasonable investment. also just a heads up that this isn't the thread for warnings about law school in general. you might make a mod cranky if you're not careful.


Yeah, I was referring to Iowa specifically and the ability to get back to Chicago with an Iowa law degree.


Chris is absolutely right about law and Chicago. You are better off staying a paralegal and not taking on the debt and just working overtime than you are going to law school. In fact, I know a lot of people who would gladly take $25 an hour as a paralegal who are now graduating from law school. If you have a law degree people will not hire you to be a paralegal. Although it is anecdotal, I have plenty of T-14 friends who are now unemployed or are working for less than $25 in Chicago / Major Metro markets. Avoid the debt.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby chrisbru » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:22 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Yeah, I was referring to Iowa specifically and the ability to get back to Chicago with an Iowa law degree.


Chris is absolutely right about law and Chicago. You are better off staying a paralegal and not taking on the debt and just working overtime than you are going to law school. In fact, I know a lot of people who would gladly take $25 an hour as a paralegal who are now graduating from law school. If you have a law degree people will not hire you to be a paralegal. Although it is anecdotal, I have plenty of T-14 friends who are now unemployed or are working for less than $25 in Chicago / Major Metro markets. Avoid the debt.


Again, not trying to discourage Iowa or law school in general... I just see how many classmates WANT to go to Chicago vs. how many can actually get jobs there, and it's pretty eye opening.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby typ3 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:15 pm

The thing too is that there are openings for 50-60k legal jobs in the western rural parts of the state, but it is hard to get people to take these jobs when they are sitting on such high debt loads.

I just don't know why someone would give up $25 an hour plus OT pay to take out a ton of debt with less employability to make roughly the same amount of money but way more hours with no overtime.

User avatar
nygrrrl
Posts: 4948
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:01 am

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby nygrrrl » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:53 am

typ3 wrote:The thing too is that there are openings for 50-60k legal jobs in the western rural parts of the state, but it is hard to get people to take these jobs when they are sitting on such high debt loads.

I just don't know why someone would give up $25 an hour plus OT pay to take out a ton of debt with less employability to make roughly the same amount of money but way more hours with no overtime.

Dude, this is an on-topic thread for people who have already decided that they want to go to law school. You have made your point, move on. No trolling on-topic threads. (Yeah, that's a warning.)

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby chrisbru » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:45 am

nygrrrl wrote:
typ3 wrote:The thing too is that there are openings for 50-60k legal jobs in the western rural parts of the state, but it is hard to get people to take these jobs when they are sitting on such high debt loads.

I just don't know why someone would give up $25 an hour plus OT pay to take out a ton of debt with less employability to make roughly the same amount of money but way more hours with no overtime.

Dude, this is an on-topic thread for people who have already decided that they want to go to law school. You have made your point, move on. No trolling on-topic threads. (Yeah, that's a warning.)


Maybe the second half was straying towards off-topic, but the first half is spot on... If you go to Iowa, have a backup plan in case you aren't top 10% and can't make your preferred city. This means considering whether small-town Iowa or small secondary markets near where you grew up/your undergrad/any other place you have ties is something you are willing to do if it comes down to it.

If we want to get away from employment prospects (which would be nice, because in reality who knows what the job market will be like in 3 years), does anyone have other questions/concerns/banter they'd like to know about?

For me, my favorite thing about Iowa City is the energy. There's always stuff going on, people out and about, etc. Football Saturdays are an absolute blast, and weekends in the ped mall (where all the college bars are) are never boring. There's also plenty of other things to do, though... Live music, plays, musicals, etc.

User avatar
Presidentjlh
Posts: 868
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:07 am

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby Presidentjlh » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:46 pm

Wow, that was fast. Just got an e-mail from the dean informing me I've been accepted.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby chrisbru » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:47 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:Wow, that was fast. Just got an e-mail from the dean informing me I've been accepted.


Congrats!

priyank90
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:46 pm

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby priyank90 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:26 pm

Just got an email today saying I was accepted to Iowa. Applied Nov. 28, so seemed to go pretty quick. Just for reference I had a 164 and 3.6.

Does Iowa usually offer a decent amount in scholarship money?

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby typ3 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:42 pm

priyank90 wrote:Just got an email today saying I was accepted to Iowa. Applied Nov. 28, so seemed to go pretty quick. Just for reference I had a 164 and 3.6.

Does Iowa usually offer a decent amount in scholarship money?



If instate that is likely a full. Out of state you will likely receive a 18k a year / difference between instate / out of state.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby chrisbru » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:52 pm

typ3 wrote:
priyank90 wrote:Just got an email today saying I was accepted to Iowa. Applied Nov. 28, so seemed to go pretty quick. Just for reference I had a 164 and 3.6.

Does Iowa usually offer a decent amount in scholarship money?



If instate that is likely a full. Out of state you will likely receive a 18k a year / difference between instate / out of state.


Did you do your numbers analysis? The numbers (no offense) seem low to me for that kind of scholarship, but I never dove into the numbers like you did.

Pineoneer
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby Pineoneer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Man I am so jealous you all already heard back! I really want to hear by Christmas so hopefully I will hear sometime soon. Maybe they are waiting to tell me in person. I scheduled my tour for next Thursday, unfortunately it would be a long time before I made it there if I don't go next week. My numbers are just slightly lower then someone who was accepted today according to LSN so I am hoping for good news by the end of the week!

For those who have been accepted how sure are you that you will go? I am pretty much positive I will go if I can get residency.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby typ3 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:09 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:
priyank90 wrote:Just got an email today saying I was accepted to Iowa. Applied Nov. 28, so seemed to go pretty quick. Just for reference I had a 164 and 3.6.

Does Iowa usually offer a decent amount in scholarship money?



If instate that is likely a full. Out of state you will likely receive a 18k a year / difference between instate / out of state.


Did you do your numbers analysis? The numbers (no offense) seem low to me for that kind of scholarship, but I never dove into the numbers like you did.



Yea I did a full numbers analysis 2 years ago for the class of 2013. It is posted under the class of 2014/2015 threads.

User avatar
Paraflam
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:09 pm

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby Paraflam » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:44 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:
priyank90 wrote:Just got an email today saying I was accepted to Iowa. Applied Nov. 28, so seemed to go pretty quick. Just for reference I had a 164 and 3.6.

Does Iowa usually offer a decent amount in scholarship money?



If instate that is likely a full. Out of state you will likely receive a 18k a year / difference between instate / out of state.


Did you do your numbers analysis? The numbers (no offense) seem low to me for that kind of scholarship, but I never dove into the numbers like you did.



Yea I did a full numbers analysis 2 years ago for the class of 2013. It is posted under the class of 2014/2015 threads.

What would 166/3.7 out of state get?

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby typ3 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:50 pm

This is on the fence. I would guess you would get a full tuition scholarship.

Pineoneer
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby Pineoneer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:11 am

typ3 wrote:Yea I did a full numbers analysis 2 years ago for the class of 2013. It is posted under the class of 2014/2015 threads.


Oh ya I remember reading that thread, it was mostly just you and Chrisbru talking... just like last years... and this one :lol:

User avatar
annet
Posts: 218
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby annet » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:17 pm

Received a decision, accepted, today (by email about 5 minutes ago), had applied on 11/26/12.

Non-resident, 2 points above LSAT median and at GPA median.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby typ3 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:20 pm

Paraflam wrote:Revisiting this,

I'm going to say that you'll likely receive a full. Was browsing and saw that applications are down 20% from where they were last year. Thus, it is highly likely that you'll receive $ as the school tries to maintain medians.
Last edited by typ3 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
clyde13
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby clyde13 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:20 pm

In via email this morning!

User avatar
michaelm55
Posts: 235
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby michaelm55 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Congrats!

DportIA
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby DportIA » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:56 am

typ3 wrote:
Paraflam wrote:Revisiting this,

I'm going to say that you'll likely receive a full. Was browsing and saw that applications are down 20% from where they were last year. Thus, it is highly likely that you'll receive $ as the school tries to maintain medians.


Are you serious? The bottom is falling out for law apps

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby typ3 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:24 pm

DportIA wrote:
typ3 wrote:
Paraflam wrote:Revisiting this,

I'm going to say that you'll likely receive a full. Was browsing and saw that applications are down 20% from where they were last year. Thus, it is highly likely that you'll receive $ as the school tries to maintain medians.


Are you serious? The bottom is falling out for law apps


Nick, IIRC your class's size is 155 (The smallest class size since WWII), a couple years in front of my class (180 to start now it is down to 165) the size was 246.

This is why the school is attempting to raise $50,000,000 over the next 3 years to pay for the budget shortfall with the Iowa Inspired Campaign. Next year's class will be even smaller than your class. Which means that all of you in this thread that are over the 75% should be sitting pretty for some $$ money from Iowa as they attempt to maintain their medians.

--LinkRemoved--

DportIA
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby DportIA » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:03 pm

typ3 wrote:
DportIA wrote:
typ3 wrote:
Paraflam wrote:Revisiting this,

I'm going to say that you'll likely receive a full. Was browsing and saw that applications are down 20% from where they were last year. Thus, it is highly likely that you'll receive $ as the school tries to maintain medians.


Are you serious? The bottom is falling out for law apps


Nick, IIRC your class's size is 155 (The smallest class size since WWII), a couple years in front of my class (180 to start now it is down to 165) the size was 246.

This is why the school is attempting to raise $50,000,000 over the next 3 years to pay for the budget shortfall with the Iowa Inspired Campaign. Next year's class will be even smaller than your class. Which means that all of you in this thread that are over the 75% should be sitting pretty for some $$ money from Iowa as they attempt to maintain their medians.

--LinkRemoved--


You are correct--155. I know one of our professors was talking about the shortfall the smaller class sizes means. I think the rankings in March will treat Iowa well, however, for increasing their GPA/LSAT medians with fewer apps across the country. Is this your take?

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby typ3 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:54 pm

The group that has fallen off the most are the test takers 169+ the second largest group that has fallen off are 164+. The numbers applying in the 150's has increased. This means it is harder for Iowa and T-14 schools to keep their medians. Medians across the board should drop this year. Iowa cannot cut its numbers forever and still keep medians. Eventually they are going to have to start letting off faculty, issuing pay cuts, or lowering their admission standards. Given human nature, they will choose letting in less qualified applicants before they take even greater pay cuts.

Bright news for those in this threads is that the foundation will be offering scholarships to applicants with numbers that would've gone without scholarships in earlier years. 164-167 was on the fence years earlier, but those should be good for $ this year.

User avatar
chrisbru
Posts: 4252
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby chrisbru » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:28 pm

DportIA wrote:
You are correct--155. I know one of our professors was talking about the shortfall the smaller class sizes means. I think the rankings in March will treat Iowa well, however, for increasing their GPA/LSAT medians with fewer apps across the country. Is this your take?


I'd say Iowa will at least hold steady, if not climb back up a spot or two, based on all things considered. We know that medians went up, and class size went down, which are both positive things in the ranking (generally speaking at least). The thing we don't know is bar passage rate and employment statistics. If those are both improving, we could maybe even be back in the top 25 again.


Nick, do you care to share your experience of finals with the prospects since you just finished your first semester exams?

User avatar
kingsfield69
Posts: 344
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:52 pm

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby kingsfield69 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:57 pm

Accepted in November, withdrew today. Hope this opens the door for someone else! Good luck to all!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests