University of Iowa Class of 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Paraflam

Bronze

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Post by Paraflam » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:51 pm

In via e-mail just now. No mention of a scholarship, though, and I am well above both medians. I'm guessing scholarships are awarded later?

michaelm55

Bronze

Post by michaelm55 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:11 pm

In via Email as well. No mention of scholarship. Does that mean I don't have one, or do I have to wait until after the FAFSA is filled out?

glaciate

New

Post by glaciate » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:15 pm

My In Review date updated from 11/8 to 12/7 today, but no email or decision.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:38 pm

Paraflam wrote:In via e-mail just now. No mention of a scholarship, though, and I am well above both medians. I'm guessing scholarships are awarded later?
Yup, scholarships will be given out later. I think they offer scholarships on a rolling basis, with the committee meeting in early January to give out the first batch, but don't quote me on that. As people definitively turn down their offer of admission, the scholarships offered to those candidates will be re-distributed to other candidates. Like a wait list for scholarships, kind of.

michaelm55

Bronze

Post by michaelm55 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:31 pm

Thanks for the info Chrisbru. I appreciate it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:14 pm

I would think that scholarships could be different this year since the class size has been reduced by nearly 100 students in 5-6 years.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:57 pm

typ3 wrote:I would think that scholarships could be different this year since the class size has been reduced by nearly 100 students in 5-6 years.
I doubt it... Less students = less money coming into the law school = a similar proportion of scholarships for the class and similar procedures.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:38 am

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:I would think that scholarships could be different this year since the class size has been reduced by nearly 100 students in 5-6 years.
I doubt it... Less students = less money coming into the law school = a similar proportion of scholarships for the class and similar procedures.
I'm just thinking that since they have a budget shortfall between 20-30m that they are going to cut back on a few scholarships. I could be wrong though.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:52 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
I'm just thinking that since they have a budget shortfall between 20-30m that they are going to cut back on a few scholarships. I could be wrong though.
I guess I'm assuming they'll keep the proportion the same though. They need those scholarships to keep their medians up, which they need to keep their rank up, which they need to keep endowments up, etc. etc. That's the cycle.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:43 pm

Who knows, I would assume that they will have to drop their medians this year like a lot of schools. Not really sure.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:50 pm

typ3 wrote:Who knows, I would assume that they will have to drop their medians this year like a lot of schools. Not really sure.
If they managed to do it last year, I assume they'd manage to do it again this year. Keep in mind that the decrease in class sizes across the board will offset some of the decrease in applicants. Plus, I'd assume that it's the lesser-qualified applicants that are applying less, but I could be wrong.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:38 pm

The more qualified applicants have falled off of a cliff. Take a look at t-14 applicants. Those who score 169+ aren't applying and those in the 164-168 range are down considerably as well. The silver lining is that applications for people scoring 145-156 are way up.

mwhitley

New

Post by mwhitley » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:36 pm

in via e-mail yesterday.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pineoneer

New

Post by Pineoneer » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:10 pm

In review as of today!!! Submitted 11/26 Complete 11/29. I think I am going to visit in a week. Pretty nervous and excited. Congrats to all who have gotten in already.

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:25 pm

chrisbru wrote:
JakeAsch wrote:My most recent application status date says 11/2 and they received the application on 10/29. For those admitted (or any others), did the status ever change from "complete" to "in review?"

154; 3.84; URM; male; TX resident.
Relatively sure that it changes from complete to in review when they start looking at your application. You should be fine though, my guess. URM and over the GPA median but under LSAT. Usually Iowa seems to take URMs who are over one of the medians without much problem. There are tons of people on the opposite side (high LSAT, low gpa) to offset, and Iowa is dying for URMs.
I sure hope you are right. My Current Status Date is now 12/11. Super nervous!

0808millerd

New

Post by 0808millerd » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:33 pm

JakeAsch wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
JakeAsch wrote:My most recent application status date says 11/2 and they received the application on 10/29. For those admitted (or any others), did the status ever change from "complete" to "in review?"

154; 3.84; URM; male; TX resident.
Relatively sure that it changes from complete to in review when they start looking at your application. You should be fine though, my guess. URM and over the GPA median but under LSAT. Usually Iowa seems to take URMs who are over one of the medians without much problem. There are tons of people on the opposite side (high LSAT, low gpa) to offset, and Iowa is dying for URMs.
I sure hope you are right. My Current Status Date is now 12/11. Super nervous!
My status date changed on 11/30 to In Review and I have been checking and re-checking multiple times everyday since. Really hoping I can get lucky and that my WE boosts me into an acceptance with my LSAT being right at the median and my GPA being lower.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:55 pm

0808millerd wrote: My status date changed on 11/30 to In Review and I have been checking and re-checking multiple times everyday since. Really hoping I can get lucky and that my WE boosts me into an acceptance with my LSAT being right at the median and my GPA being lower.
I'm pretty sure that you'll know via email before status checker, but don't quote me on that.

As for your numbers... What WE, and are you an Iowa resident?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

0808millerd

New

Post by 0808millerd » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:01 pm

chrisbru wrote:
0808millerd wrote: My status date changed on 11/30 to In Review and I have been checking and re-checking multiple times everyday since. Really hoping I can get lucky and that my WE boosts me into an acceptance with my LSAT being right at the median and my GPA being lower.
I'm pretty sure that you'll know via email before status checker, but don't quote me on that.

I have been a paralegal for 2+ years at a top firm in Chicago (top 3 in Chicago, top 10 nationally) with strong connections and opportunities to come back and I am not an Iowa resident.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:16 pm

0808millerd wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I have been a paralegal for 2+ years at a top firm in Chicago (top 3 in Chicago, top 10 nationally) with strong connections and opportunities to come back and I am not an Iowa resident.
Why not keep working there and do a night program in Chicago?

0808millerd

New

Post by 0808millerd » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:21 pm

chrisbru wrote:
0808millerd wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

Not possible. I am working too many hours to try and fit a school schedule and studying into it. Its either full time school or nothing. I have already gotten into other schools with scholarships and I am expecting acceptances to others, just hoping for Iowa since it is one of the higher ranked schools I applied to.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:35 pm

0808millerd wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Not possible. I am working too many hours to try and fit a school schedule and studying into it. Its either full time school or nothing. I have already gotten into other schools with scholarships and I am expecting acceptances to others, just hoping for Iowa since it is one of the higher ranked schools I applied to.
You're working more than 50 hours a week? If so, you're probably making more than you'll make after graduating from Iowa. If you think you can go back to that firm or another firm in Chicago, you'll probably still be better off going to Chicago-Kent or Loyola Chicago. There are VERY few Iowa grads that make it to Chicago, like less than 5 a year. I know you think you can be top 10% of your class, but that may not happen... Going to a lower ranked school in the city you want to live in is probably a better choice, especially if it will be cheaper for you.

That being said, I'm not sure how much work experience is a factor (especially only two years). However, Iowa is one of the schools that looks at the "whole package" rather than just numbers, so you never know.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

0808millerd

New

Post by 0808millerd » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:46 pm

chrisbru wrote:
0808millerd wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
You're working more than 50 hours a week? If so, you're probably making more than you'll make after graduating from Iowa. If you think you can go back to that firm or another firm in Chicago, you'll probably still be better off going to Chicago-Kent or Loyola Chicago. There are VERY few Iowa grads that make it to Chicago, like less than 5 a year. I know you think you can be top 10% of your class, but that may not happen... Going to a lower ranked school in the city you want to live in is probably a better choice, especially if it will be cheaper for you.

That being said, I'm not sure how much work experience is a factor (especially only two years). However, Iowa is one of the schools that looks at the "whole package" rather than just numbers, so you never know.
I am pulling in anywhere between 50 and 60 a week with some weeks being more and the compensation isn't as luxurious as you may think. I would probably take Loyola-Chicago over Iowa for the reasons you stated, but having an acceptance to Iowa would A) be a great option and B) potential help in pulling scholarship money from other lower ranked schools (i.e.- Loyola).

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:09 pm

0808millerd wrote: I am pulling in anywhere between 50 and 60 a week with some weeks being more and the compensation isn't as luxurious as you may think. I would probably take Loyola-Chicago over Iowa for the reasons you stated, but having an acceptance to Iowa would A) be a great option and B) potential help in pulling scholarship money from other lower ranked schools (i.e.- Loyola).
How much do you expect to be making as an attorney? $25/hour is considered high at this point (for internships), and anyone making over $60k a year after graduation is pretty excited as far as I've seen.

Not trying to be negative here, just making sure people know what they are getting into. I left a $50k a year job for the very real possibility of making that same amount with $80k in student loans and 3 years of wages lost.

feralinfant

Silver

Post by feralinfant » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:13 pm

chrisbru wrote:
0808millerd wrote: I am pulling in anywhere between 50 and 60 a week with some weeks being more and the compensation isn't as luxurious as you may think. I would probably take Loyola-Chicago over Iowa for the reasons you stated, but having an acceptance to Iowa would A) be a great option and B) potential help in pulling scholarship money from other lower ranked schools (i.e.- Loyola).
How much do you expect to be making as an attorney? $25/hour is considered high at this point (for internships), and anyone making over $60k a year after graduation is pretty excited as far as I've seen.

Not trying to be negative here, just making sure people know what they are getting into. I left a $50k a year job for the very real possibility of making that same amount with $80k in student loans and 3 years of wages lost.
these are fair warnings but poster mentioned he works at a nice law firm and has the opportunity to go back which possibly makes this a reasonable investment. also just a heads up that this isn't the thread for warnings about law school in general. you might make a mod cranky if you're not careful.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:40 pm

feralinfant wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

these are fair warnings but poster mentioned he works at a nice law firm and has the opportunity to go back which possibly makes this a reasonable investment. also just a heads up that this isn't the thread for warnings about law school in general. you might make a mod cranky if you're not careful.
Yeah, I was referring to Iowa specifically and the ability to get back to Chicago with an Iowa law degree.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”