Page 8 of 15

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:54 am
by typ3
rofl. no one is going to give you a stippend unless their enrollment is down to near zero this year.

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:10 pm
by chrisbru
typ3 wrote:rofl. no one is going to give you a stippend unless their enrollment is down to near zero this year.


At least not a school you'd actually want to go to.

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:52 pm
by enf10582
Does Anyone have any advice to negotiating Scholarship Stipulations? I was offered a full ride at both Iowa and Minnesota. The stipulation for Minnesota is a 2.5 while the stipulation for Iowa is the traditional top 37.5%. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:28 pm
by chrisbru
enf10582 wrote:Does Anyone have any advice to negotiating Scholarship Stipulations? I was offered a full ride at both Iowa and Minnesota. The stipulation for Minnesota is a 2.5 while the stipulation for Iowa is the traditional top 37.5%. Any help would be appreciated.


It is almost impossible to get a stip-free scholarship at Iowa.

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:12 pm
by willio
Offered a $104,150 scholarship with RA position via mail today. It has a top 37.5% stip. Blah.

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:32 pm
by JXander
Sent in my withdrawal email tonight. Hope one of y'all gets the spot soon! Good luck!

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:15 pm
by Pineoneer
Just was accepted via email from the dean! I'm so excited. I wil also be in town for the asw thing so I am excited for that! Also 3.5x and 162.

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:31 pm
by chrisbru
Pineoneer wrote:Just was accepted via email from the dean! I'm so excited. I wil also be in town for the asw thing so I am excited for that! Also 3.5x and 162.


ASW is a blast. I plan on making everyone have a great time.

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:36 am
by crossingfingers
Preliminary waitlist today (2.5.13) via status check. I had high hopes, but given my atrocious GPA, this isn't too unexpected. I'm in it for the long haul and will be submitting a (first) LoCI soon! Good luck all others waiting!

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:49 am
by The-Specs
Just got my scholly info today:

$90,048 with an RA position stip of top 37.5%

This makes it very competitive.

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:05 am
by Pineoneer
chrisbru wrote:
Pineoneer wrote:Just was accepted via email from the dean! I'm so excited. I wil also be in town for the asw thing so I am excited for that! Also 3.5x and 162.


ASW is a blast. I plan on making everyone have a great time.


Yay I am definitely excited for it. I was accepted yesterday to the other school I applied to as well. It's TTT and I was considering it with the right offer but even the full scholarship isn't enough for me to chose it over Iowa. The only thing I am stressed about is the possibility that they won't consider me a resident.

I have a friend who goes to the business school who I am trying to live with. If that doesn't work out I will be looking for a roommate! Eek! This is getting SO exciting!

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:13 am
by chrisbru
Pineoneer wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
Pineoneer wrote:Just was accepted via email from the dean! I'm so excited. I wil also be in town for the asw thing so I am excited for that! Also 3.5x and 162.


ASW is a blast. I plan on making everyone have a great time.


Yay I am definitely excited for it. I was accepted yesterday to the other school I applied to as well. It's TTT and I was considering it with the right offer but even the full scholarship isn't enough for me to chose it over Iowa. The only thing I am stressed about is the possibility that they won't consider me a resident.

I have a friend who goes to the business school who I am trying to live with. If that doesn't work out I will be looking for a roommate! Eek! This is getting SO exciting!



Remember that EVERYONE can get in-state tuition their 2L and 3L year if they are an RA or (for 3L year) hold a board position with a journal or moot court, so most people only pay one year's worth of out-of-state tuition.

Has anyone made a Facebook group yet for the incoming class? I did one for my class (and this year's 1L class made one about the same time) and it worked wonders for connecting with people for ASW plans like splitting hotel rooms, finding roommates and housing, and getting to know your classmates a bit before you show up in Iowa City. I was able to meet somewhere between 50-60 people in my class before the first day of orientation by setting up social events the week before orientation, which really helped ease the nervousness of starting school again with people you don't know.

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:13 am
by The-Specs
Just a quick correction.

In the letter UI says that it offers $90,048 in tuition support but if you count in the RA stipulation (that is actually getting and RA position) it waives out of state tuition for the 2L and 3L years and the total scholarship is $136,354 over three years. That is over 45k a year. On top of that, if with this scholarship you remain in the top 37.5% you will only have paid $9,752 total in tuition cost.

If you really believe that you can get in to the top 37.5% of the class I don't know how you can pass this up.

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:26 am
by Trips_93
Iowa offered me a Law Opportunity Fellowship with full in-state tuition (Im an IA resident) and an RA position for 2L and 3L. And the best part is there was nothing in the letter about stipulations!

Looks like I'll be seeing you folks at ASW!

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:40 am
by chrisbru
The-Specs wrote:Just a quick correction.

In the letter UI says that it offers $90,048 in tuition support but if you count in the RA stipulation (that is actually getting and RA position) it waives out of state tuition for the 2L and 3L years and the total scholarship is $136,354 over three years. That is over 45k a year. On top of that, if with this scholarship you remain in the top 37.5% you will only have paid $9,752 total in tuition cost.

If you really believe that you can get in to the top 37.5% of the class I don't know how you can pass this up.


I'm confused what you mean. The scholarship is $90,048, which is full tuition for three years assuming out-of-state tuition 1L and in-state tuition 2L and 3L because an RAship is a requirement (giving you instate tuition).

It's just a full-tuition scholarship with a top 37.5% stipulation, but worded weird.

Trips_93 wrote:Iowa offered me a Law Opportunity Fellowship with full in-state tuition (Im an IA resident) and an RA position for 2L and 3L. And the best part is there was nothing in the letter about stipulations!

Looks like I'll be seeing you folks at ASW!


Fellowship scholly's don't have stipulations. I think those are the only ones, but don't quote me on that. Congrats!

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:05 pm
by MKC
In off the waitlist today! Does Iowa give scholarships to people they take off the waitlist, or am I pretty well looking at sticker here?

3.25/166

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:45 pm
by The-Specs
chrisbru wrote:
The-Specs wrote:Just a quick correction.

In the letter UI says that it offers $90,048 in tuition support but if you count in the RA stipulation (that is actually getting and RA position) it waives out of state tuition for the 2L and 3L years and the total scholarship is $136,354 over three years. That is over 45k a year. On top of that, if with this scholarship you remain in the top 37.5% you will only have paid $9,752 total in tuition cost.

If you really believe that you can get in to the top 37.5% of the class I don't know how you can pass this up.


I'm confused what you mean. The scholarship is $90,048, which is full tuition for three years assuming out-of-state tuition 1L and in-state tuition 2L and 3L because an RAship is a requirement (giving you instate tuition).

It's just a full-tuition scholarship with a top 37.5% stipulation, but worded weird.


Not quite. The 1L offer is $37,500 out of $47,252 (I would pay $9,752 for that year). Then if you stay in the top 37.5% of the class you get full tuition at resident status ($26,274) but you only get residency status if you get an RA position for which they also pay you $2,100. So the actual gain for getting the RA position is about $23,000 for an out-of-stater like me.

Does anyone know if everyone in the top 37.5% is guaranteed an RA position?

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:13 pm
by chrisbru
The-Specs wrote:
Not quite. The 1L offer is $37,500 out of $47,252 (I would pay $9,752 for that year). Then if you stay in the top 37.5% of the class you get full tuition at resident status ($26,274) but you only get residency status if you get an RA position for which they also pay you $2,100. So the actual gain for getting the RA position is about $23,000 for an out-of-stater like me.

Does anyone know if everyone in the top 37.5% is guaranteed an RA position?


Ah weird. Everyone that I know that wanted one got one. You can also TA an undergrad class I'm pretty sure... A guy in our class is teaching ultimate frisbee for instate tuition plus whatever he gets paid.

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:21 pm
by JXander
MarkinKansasCity wrote:In off the waitlist today! Does Iowa give scholarships to people they take off the waitlist, or am I pretty well looking at sticker here?

3.25/166

Well, I just withdrew and was offered a scholly. You may get mine. :)

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:27 pm
by MKC
JXander wrote:
MarkinKansasCity wrote:In off the waitlist today! Does Iowa give scholarships to people they take off the waitlist, or am I pretty well looking at sticker here?

3.25/166

Well, I just withdrew and was offered a scholly. You may get mine. :)


That would be awesome! I appreciate the spot man. Best of luck with the rest of your cycle.

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:29 pm
by Pineoneer
Do they give any money that is not virtually a full ride? It seems like people get all or nothing.

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:31 pm
by chrisbru
Pineoneer wrote:Do they give any money that is not virtually a full ride? It seems like people get all or nothing.


I think half scholarships come later in the cycle, but don't quote me on that.

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:39 pm
by typ3
RA positions can either be awesome or a living hell. I recommend not gunning for them and going with some sort of slacker part of the University that doesn't give a shit. Some professors make you bill time down to every six minutes like a law firm and ride your ass all semester. Other professors don't give a shit what you do and will sign off on whatever you turn in for time.

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:18 am
by The-Specs
chrisbru wrote:Ah weird. Everyone that I know that wanted one got one. You can also TA an undergrad class I'm pretty sure... A guy in our class is teaching ultimate frisbee for instate tuition plus whatever he gets paid.


That would be great. Getting an RA position, living hell or not, would still be great as it means in-state tuition. Here's to hoping.

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:59 pm
by Pineoneer
So I have been looking for housing already and I can't find much. I heard you should look early but am I looking too early? Anyone care to share advice?