University of Iowa Class of 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
typ3

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Postby typ3 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:54 pm

chrisbru wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:I totally forgot about the buses! Been too long since I had cause to check the Megabus website. I think I'd like to end up in Chicago or Minneapolis so plopping myself down in the middle can't be that bad of an idea haha.

If you can decide before you pick your school, you have a significantly easier time getting a job in Minneapolis going to the U of M, and I'm pretty sure UIUC students have an easier in to Chicago than Iowa students, and DEFINITELY Northwestern .

This +1. Go to UofM, or UChi or NWestern if you want to end up in those markets. Just be aware that a lot of grads in those cities have had a lot of difficulty getting jobs lately. Coincidentally Omaha is a hot market right now. You should really reconsider going back to Omaha (just my 2 cents).

romanticegotist

Postby romanticegotist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:40 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:I totally forgot about the buses! Been too long since I had cause to check the Megabus website. I think I'd like to end up in Chicago or Minneapolis so plopping myself down in the middle can't be that bad of an idea haha.

If you can decide before you pick your school, you have a significantly easier time getting a job in Minneapolis going to the U of M, and I'm pretty sure UIUC students have an easier in to Chicago than Iowa students, and DEFINITELY Northwestern .

This +1. Go to UofM, or UChi or NWestern if you want to end up in those markets. Just be aware that a lot of grads in those cities have had a lot of difficulty getting jobs lately. Coincidentally Omaha is a hot market right now. You should really reconsider going back to Omaha (just my 2 cents).

I do have a full ride at Creighton....

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:33 pm

romanticegotist wrote:

Not as bad of a choice as you'd think, but only if you are sure you want to be in Nebraska after graduation.

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:40 pm

chrisbru wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:

Not as bad of a choice as you'd think, but only if you are sure you want to be in Nebraska after graduation.

Friend of mine went to creighton, worked for the US justic dept. for about 4 years. Got a job at a firm in omaha and now is a partner...he is damm smart. He told me you donthave to go to harvard to be sucessful...nothing wrong with Creighton

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:02 pm

uconjak wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:

Friend of mine went to creighton, worked for the US justic dept. for about 4 years. Got a job at a firm in omaha and now is a partner...he is damm smart. He told me you donthave to go to harvard to be sucessful...nothing wrong with Creighton

Completely agree with this. You just have to know your limitations if you go to a regional school.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:49 pm

Just in case y'all didn't know, Midwest is best.

mkemmitt

Postby mkemmitt » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:11 pm

Admitted a week after applying- early December.

I really hope to hear about a scholarship in the next few weeks or I probably can't attend. Any mediocre-numbered applicants with success stories?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:24 pm

mkemmitt wrote:Admitted a week after applying- early December.

I really hope to hear about a scholarship in the next few weeks or I probably can't attend. Any mediocre-numbered applicants with success stories?

I'd say you are a long shot with your numbers and not being an IA resident, sorry. Typ3 can tell you more accurately though.

mkemmitt

Postby mkemmitt » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:16 pm

No need for an apology, Chrisbru.

I have received a scholarship offer of 1/4 tuition at UIUC. Should I try to negotiate for aid at Iowa using that offer as leverage?

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:25 pm

mkemmitt wrote:No need for an apology, Chrisbru.

I have received a scholarship offer of 1/4 tuition at UIUC. Should I try to negotiate for aid at Iowa using that offer as leverage?

Absolutely.

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:25 pm

Got my merit scholarship offer sat. 78k grand for three years. I was hoping or a little more.

Trips_93

Postby Trips_93 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:10 pm

Can anyone give give me some insight to my scholarship chances?

I got admitted mid december, about a month after I sent my application.

157 LSAT
IA Resident
URM

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Trips_93 wrote:Can anyone give give me some insight to my scholarship chances?

I got admitted mid december, about a month after I sent my application.

157 LSAT
IA Resident
URM

I was 162, 3.55 IA res URM and I got a scholarship. It all depends on the applicant pool this year. If there are very few minorities, you will become more valuable to the ad comm. If there are many minorities, especially with higher #s, you will become less valuable.

I think the economy has had an outsized effect on reducing minority applicants, though. You fill 2 tough niches for Iowa law to fill with their incoming class: the residents and the URMs.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:22 am

uconjak wrote:Got my merit scholarship offer sat. 78k grand for three years. I was hoping or a little more.

I'm really surprised by this offer. It could just be that they have a bunch of money already spoken for in the incoming class. It will probably be feb or march before your scholarship is bumped up.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:23 am

romanticegotist wrote:
typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

I would minimize your debt.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:32 pm

typ3 wrote:
uconjak wrote:Got my merit scholarship offer sat. 78k grand for three years. I was hoping or a little more.

I'm really surprised by this offer. It could just be that they have a bunch of money already spoken for in the incoming class. It will probably be feb or march before your scholarship is bumped up.

Isn't that 3 years in-state?

Trips_93

Postby Trips_93 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:22 pm

I just an email from then saying they'll reimburse me for $300 to visit the school, if they offer me a scholarship.

I would hope that would mean I'll be getting some type of money right? Kind of cold hearted to get someones hopes up like that.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Trips_93 wrote:I just an email from then saying they'll reimburse me for $300 to visit the school, if they offer me a scholarship.

I would hope that would mean I'll be getting some type of money right? Kind of cold hearted to get someones hopes up like that.

Pretty sure that means you're getting a scholarship. Don't quote me on it.

Princess Consuela

Postby Princess Consuela » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:07 pm

Withdrawing.. I hope one of you waiting on here gets my spot. Good luck, everyone!

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:03 am

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Yes, in state, over three years

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:05 am

uconjak wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

I have duel residence ( colorado, iowa)

zbenson

Postby zbenson » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:29 am

I will say one thing for Iowa, they move quickly. Sent 1/19, Received and Complete 1/22. Preliminary Waitlist 1/25 (this morning)

EDIT: Changed Received/Complete date, It was the 22nd not 23rd

mittz

Postby mittz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:29 pm

In today via email!

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:19 pm

uconjak wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

So you were hoping for more than full tuition? That's a silly thing to hope for since Iowa doesn't do more than full tuition. I can't think of any top 50 schools that do, in fact.

uconjak

Postby uconjak » Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:09 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Yes it is for 3years, wanted a stipend also.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”