University of Iowa Class of 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
owlie

New

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Post by owlie » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:35 pm

My status checker finally changed... to "Preliminary Waitlist." Is this just what they call waitlisting, or is it indicative of some kind of ranking/preference?

Thanks for any help, TLS.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:48 pm

owlie wrote:My status checker finally changed... to "Preliminary Waitlist." Is this just what they call waitlisting, or is it indicative of some kind of ranking/preference?

Thanks for any help, TLS.
Preliminary waitlist means that you aren't accepted in this wave, but that they'll revisit your application at a later date (probably February) before deciding whether you should flip to accepted, or placed on the "actual" waitlist. From what I understand, Iowa doesn't do an "actual" waitlist until February or March.

Pineoneer

New

Post by Pineoneer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:05 pm

My status changed the in review date to today's date 1/4/12 but is still "in review" the top banner changed and no longer says the bit about it taking about 4 weeks or so for a decision. This coming off being broken up with today is frustrating but at least it isn't bad news.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Pineoneer wrote:My status changed the in review date to today's date 1/4/12 but is still "in review" the top banner changed and no longer says the bit about it taking about 4 weeks or so for a decision. This coming off being broken up with today is frustrating but at least it isn't bad news.
FA <3

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:18 am

Bru, you must be super bored or something...

Wanna do my IP Ad edits for me?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:52 pm

Slimpee wrote:Bru, you must be super bored or something...

Wanna do my IP Ad edits for me?
Yeah, sure... Oh wait...

I was working over break, which was a lot of time on a computer with not as much to do. Now I'm putting off JCL work that I REALLY should do before intersession starts on Monday... But it's wildcard Saturday, so that probably won't happen.

JXander

Silver

Post by JXander » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:05 pm

Admitted as of today! Wow, I can't believe it! This is so exciting!

(Check my profile to see numbers)

michaelm55

Bronze

Post by michaelm55 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:02 pm

I got an email idicating that "if" I recieve a scholarship, then they will reimburse me for up to $300 of travel expenses to visit the school. I am not sure it is relevant, but it is an update.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:41 am

michaelm55 wrote:I got an email idicating that "if" I recieve a scholarship, then they will reimburse me for up to $300 of travel expenses to visit the school. I am not sure it is relevant, but it is an update.
I think that means you're getting a scholarship. Don't quote me on it, but everyone that got one of those last year got their scholarship within a few weeks.

When I got that letter, I called the office to ask them about it and they were like "uh... we'll just tell you now. You got a scholarship, the details will be there in a couple weeks via mail." So you could call.

That being said... definitely come to ASW if you're thinking about coming. They'll reimburse you for up to $300 of it... But only if you matriculate in the fall. If you go somewhere else, no reimbursement.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

michaelm55

Bronze

Post by michaelm55 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:20 pm

That is helpful. I was a little scared that I may not receive a scholarship at all. I noticed some applicants had already recieved their scholarship packages (law school numbers). I am glad it is not a sign that all the scholarships have been distributed already.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:37 pm

michaelm55 wrote:That is helpful. I was a little scared that I may not receive a scholarship at all. I noticed some applicants had already recieved their scholarship packages (law school numbers). I am glad it is not a sign that all the scholarships have been distributed already.
Nope - Mine didn't come until mid February, and I know some others in my class that got theirs as late as April and May.

Unoriginalist

Bronze

Post by Unoriginalist » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:22 pm

Just got scholly info in the mail today - Full ride with same stips as mentioned above.

Good luck, all!
Last edited by Unoriginalist on Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:36 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:Just got scholly info in the mail today - Full ride with same stips as mentioned above.

3.74/166

Good luck, all!
Congrats... Guess they must be moving to top 50% rankings. This pisses me off immensely, because I'd likely still have a half scholarship now :/

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

michaelm55

Bronze

Post by michaelm55 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:09 pm

$104,150 scholarship via post mail. This offer includes a research assistant opportunity that makes my last two academic years in-state for tuition purposes, rendering the offer a "full tuition" scholarship. To renew the scholarship in full, I must remain in the top 37.5% of the class. I receive half tuition if I fall to between the 37.5% and 50% of the class. I lose the scholarship entirely if I fall to the bottom half of the class.

clyde13

New

Post by clyde13 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:51 am

michaelm55 wrote:$104,150 scholarship via post mail. This offer includes a research assistant opportunity that makes my last two academic years in-state for tuition purposes, rendering the offer a "full tuition" scholarship. To renew the scholarship in full, I must remain in the top 37.5% of the class. I receive half tuition if I fall to between the 37.5% and 50% of the class. I lose the scholarship entirely if I fall to the bottom half of the class.
Same here! I got it via email though and it somehow ended up in my spam folder. So check your spam folders, people, there might be good news inside!

michaelm55

Bronze

Post by michaelm55 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:17 pm

I found my scholly in the spam pile as well..

Pineoneer

New

Post by Pineoneer » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:21 pm

Just got done with my tour/visit. Wish I could have sat in on a class but still really glad I went. If accepted I could definitely see myself there and would likely attend.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Princess Consuela

Bronze

Post by Princess Consuela » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:18 pm

I got an email on the 4th from a professor congratulating me on acceptance with no mention of pending scholarship information. I was accepted probably a month ago. Should I assume that means no scholarship money?

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:01 pm

Unoriginalist wrote:Just got scholly info in the mail today - Full ride with same stips as mentioned above.

3.74/166

Good luck, all!
Hm...those are my numbers...maybe I should spend the $20 to apply. Why must Iowa City be in the middle of absolute nowhere?!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:09 pm

alle0415 wrote:I got an email on the 4th from a professor congratulating me on acceptance with no mention of pending scholarship information. I was accepted probably a month ago. Should I assume that means no scholarship money?
No, you shouldn't. Scholarships for people with good but not top-notch numbers won't hear until February or March about money.
romanticegotist wrote: Hm...those are my numbers...maybe I should spend the $20 to apply. Why must Iowa City be in the middle of absolute nowhere?!
Your definition of "middle of absolute nowhere" must be pretty skewed. The Iowa City/Cedar Rapids corridor is the second most populated area in Iowa, and IC is 1.5 hours from Des Moines, 3.5 hours from Chicago and Madison, and 4.5 hours from St. Louis, Minneapolis, and Kansas City. Not to mention Iowa City offers absolutely everything that a college town should offer... Big Ten sports, energetic population, booming nightlife, live music, and other arts. Sure, we don't have megaclubs or pro sports, but we also pay only than $3-$4 dollars a drink, balk at a $5 cover unless there is a band, and know how to tailgate 100x better than any of the city-based collegiate football programs.

Oh, and we don't have snobs and elitists* like most law schools.

*Well, ok, there are a few, but a MUCH lower percentage than most, cosigned by dozens of friends and friends-of-friends that attend other law schools.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:14 pm

chrisbru wrote:
alle0415 wrote:I got an email on the 4th from a professor congratulating me on acceptance with no mention of pending scholarship information. I was accepted probably a month ago. Should I assume that means no scholarship money?
No, you shouldn't. Scholarships for people with good but not top-notch numbers won't hear until February or March about money.
romanticegotist wrote: Hm...those are my numbers...maybe I should spend the $20 to apply. Why must Iowa City be in the middle of absolute nowhere?!
Your definition of "middle of absolute nowhere" must be pretty skewed. The Iowa City/Cedar Rapids corridor is the second most populated area in Iowa, and IC is 1.5 hours from Des Moines, 3.5 hours from Chicago and Madison, and 4.5 hours from St. Louis, Minneapolis, and Kansas City. Not to mention Iowa City offers absolutely everything that a college town should offer... Big Ten sports, energetic population, booming nightlife, live music, and other arts. Sure, we don't have megaclubs or pro sports, but we also pay only than $3-$4 dollars a drink, balk at a $5 cover unless there is a band, and know how to tailgate 100x better than any of the city-based collegiate football programs.

*Well, ok, there are a few, but a MUCH lower percentage than most, cosigned by dozens of friends and friends-of-friends that attend other law schools.
+1

I don't understand why people are elitist with the middle of no-where type mentality, my guess is that these people aren't really important. Plus, if they were somebody they wouldn't care because they could fly out every weekend to wherever in the country they wanted to go. It's not like there aren't grad students and undergrads at U.Iowa who fly out every weekend on their family planes to Vegas, Hamptons, and La Jolla- they don't seem to mind the central location.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:47 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:

+1

I don't understand why people are elitist with the middle of no-where type mentality, my guess is that these people aren't really important. Plus, if they were somebody they wouldn't care because they could fly out every weekend to wherever in the country they wanted to go. It's not like there aren't grad students and undergrads at U.Iowa who fly out every weekend on their family planes to Vegas, Hamptons, and La Jolla- they don't seem to mind the central location.
I'm not knocking Iowa City in the slightest (have only been once but thought it was cool/have heard good things). I think I'm a bit spoiled as I did undergrad and now live in big, vibrant cities. I don't factor in things like '4 hours from Chicago' because that is quite a ways away. So yeah, totally not elitist; I'm from Omaha so I'm not allowed to be snooty about anywhere.

Let's reword it: What major markets does Iowa get good access to, since it is kind of an island unto itself?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:10 pm

romanticegotist wrote:
I'm not knocking Iowa City in the slightest (have only been once but thought it was cool/have heard good things). I think I'm a bit spoiled as I did undergrad and now live in big, vibrant cities. I don't factor in things like '4 hours from Chicago' because that is quite a ways away. So yeah, totally not elitist; I'm from Omaha so I'm not allowed to be snooty about anywhere.

Let's reword it: What major markets does Iowa get good access to, since it is kind of an island unto itself?
4 hours is quite a ways away? Interesting. You can catch a bus to Chicago, Des Moines, or Minneapolis for super cheap, and study the whole time (on-bus wifi).

Good access in what sense? Hiring? We're sending 2L's to Chicago, New York, D.C., Boston, Minneapolis, San Francisco, L.A., Kansas City, St. Louis, Des Moines, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Omaha, and Kansas City (plus many more) for summer jobs this coming summer. It all depends on your grades and your connections (as it will anywhere).

That being said - if you want to work in any of those cities, I'd go to school in that city... Because it makes it much easier.

romanticegotist

Gold

Post by romanticegotist » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:52 pm

chrisbru wrote:
romanticegotist wrote:

4 hours is quite a ways away? Interesting. You can catch a bus to Chicago, Des Moines, or Minneapolis for super cheap, and study the whole time (on-bus wifi).

Good access in what sense? Hiring? We're sending 2L's to Chicago, New York, D.C., Boston, Minneapolis, San Francisco, L.A., Kansas City, St. Louis, Des Moines, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Omaha, and Kansas City (plus many more) for summer jobs this coming summer. It all depends on your grades and your connections (as it will anywhere).

That being said - if you want to work in any of those cities, I'd go to school in that city... Because it makes it much easier.
I totally forgot about the buses! Been too long since I had cause to check the Megabus website. I think I'd like to end up in Chicago or Minneapolis so plopping myself down in the middle can't be that bad of an idea haha.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:00 pm

romanticegotist wrote: I totally forgot about the buses! Been too long since I had cause to check the Megabus website. I think I'd like to end up in Chicago or Minneapolis so plopping myself down in the middle can't be that bad of an idea haha.
If you can decide before you pick your school, you have a significantly easier time getting a job in Minneapolis going to the U of M, and I'm pretty sure UIUC students have an easier in to Chicago than Iowa students, and DEFINITELY Northwestern .

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”