University of Iowa Class of 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Gold

Re: University of Iowa Class of 2016

Post by chrisbru » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:11 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:How big was their schollys? Trying to gauge what a 167 would get me.
If you're an IA resident and your GPA doesn't suck, likely full. If you're out of state and your GPA is median or above, likely full.

Edit: No stips is freaking huge. I'm super jealous of all y'all. Plus you'll probably have the smallest class to date, meaning less competition for jobs.

eryj

New

Post by eryj » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:45 pm

I was pretty suprised to be offered a full scholly. I was suprised again by this morning's email about the stips. I agree with the person who said this is a game changer. Taking away the 37.5% stip put Iowa at the top of my list.

Obviously the policy on scholarship renewals is new, but what about handing out the full scholarships so freely? With my numbers I wasn't expecting much, if any assistance from Iowa (3.6, 163). Has Iowa always been this generous with the scholarships?

Silver

Post by 2013 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:13 pm

Last edited by 2013 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:41 am

chrisbru wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:How big was their schollys? Trying to gauge what a 167 would get me.
If you're an IA resident and your GPA doesn't suck, likely full. If you're out of state and your GPA is median or above, likely full.

Edit: No stips is freaking huge. I'm super jealous of all y'all. Plus you'll probably have the smallest class to date, meaning less competition for jobs.
What about if your LSAT is above the 75th....but your Gpa is below the 25th?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:49 am

wannabelawstudent wrote: What about if your LSAT is above the 75th....but your Gpa is below the 25th?
IA Resident above LSAT 75th and below GPA 25th. I was given a full scholarship. So, again, depends on residency and the specifics of what they need for this year's class. A full is possible though.
eryj wrote: Obviously the policy on scholarship renewals is new, but what about handing out the full scholarships so freely? With my numbers I wasn't expecting much, if any assistance from Iowa (3.6, 163). Has Iowa always been this generous with the scholarships?
They've always been generous with IA residents due to the 50% IA resident requirement/guideline/whatever-it-is. This year is probably a bit more so, because it seems applications are down across the board.
2013 wrote:If I went into review 2/4 and it was updated to 3/4 without a decision, does that mean I've been dinged?
No. Not necessarily at least. It doesn't mean you aren't dinged either, it just means no decision has been made yet. Likely trying to see who is going to throw that deposit in after the no stips announcement for scholarships.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheDudeliest

New

Post by TheDudeliest » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:01 pm

The scholarship renewal policy has DEFINITELY made this decision pretty easy... Full tuition with no stipends makes me feel happy feelings.

See you guys at ASW. Pretty sure I'm gonna pass up on the Drake Admitted Students Day this saturday.

Pineoneer

New

Post by Pineoneer » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:26 pm

TheDudeliest wrote:The scholarship renewal policy has DEFINITELY made this decision pretty easy... Full tuition with no stipends makes me feel happy feelings.

See you guys at ASW. Pretty sure I'm gonna pass up on the Drake Admitted Students Day this saturday.
Ya at least one person going to ASW. Good to know I won't be alone!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:25 am

Pineoneer wrote:
TheDudeliest wrote:The scholarship renewal policy has DEFINITELY made this decision pretty easy... Full tuition with no stipends makes me feel happy feelings.

Ya at least one person going to ASW. Good to know I won't be alone!
There will be tons of current students there for the free food lol.

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:23 pm

chrisbru wrote:
There will be tons of current students there for the free food lol.
They bust out the good stuff for ASW.

BTW, i'll be there as an Admissions student rep. Feel free to PM me any questions you have...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

michaelm55

Bronze

Post by michaelm55 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:28 pm

Ok guys. I know... wrong forum...

Indiana = almost full tuition ($120,000)

Iowa = Full Tuition

Texas = Full Price

What is better?

DportIA

Bronze

Post by DportIA » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:38 pm

michaelm55 wrote:Ok guys. I know... wrong forum...

Iowa = Full Tuition

Texas = Full Price

What is better?
Indiana: Low cost is great, however, poor job placement due to being second best in their own limited legal market (ND).

Texas: Much stronger placement, however, full cost is a significant disadvantage in an time of legal hiring uncertainty no matter the school.

Iowa: Low cost is great, too, although not as strong of placement as Texas, it is certainly better than Indiana. I chose Iowa over a couple slightly higher-ranked schools (I'm a 1L) and could not be happier with my choice. Iowa at $0 tuition is a great option IF you are fine working in Minneapolis, Omaha, Des Moines, KC, Phoenix, where Iowa places strongest.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:01 pm

DportIA wrote:
michaelm55 wrote:Ok guys. I know... wrong forum...

Iowa = Full Tuition

Texas = Full Price

What is better?
Indiana: Low cost is great, however, poor job placement due to being second best in their own limited legal market (ND).

Texas: Much stronger placement, however, full cost is a significant disadvantage in an time of legal hiring uncertainty no matter the school.

Iowa: Low cost is great, too, although not as strong of placement as Texas, it is certainly better than Indiana. I chose Iowa over a couple slightly higher-ranked schools (I'm a 1L) and could not be happier with my choice. Iowa at $0 tuition is a great option IF you are fine working in Minneapolis, Omaha, Des Moines, KC, Phoenix, where Iowa places strongest.
I agree with this. Iowa would be where I would go in your situation, but it depends on your goals. What is your target market after graduation?

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:16 am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:10 am

Reposting here from a 2L that posted on Facebook - if you are interested let me know and I can put you two in contact:

"My roommates and I are moving out from our house. It's at 521 Melrose, so about a three minute walk to the law school. 3 BR, one bath, $1600/month. About the best tailgating spot there is. Owner managed too, so that's a perk. Driveway parking for five cars. Gameday you can get more in the yard.

If any of you are looking for a place to live and want to see it, let me know.

Note, not a sublease. We are just trying to help the owners find graduate student tenants. Lease is for a year starting Aug. 2013."

This is a cool house that is seriously about a block from the law school (its closer than the student parking lot). I know some people that live close to school like this make some extra cash by renting driveway space to fellow students and renting driveway/yard space for gameday. This is a great house, and hope a law student continues to live there.

Pineoneer

New

Post by Pineoneer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:06 pm

chrisbru wrote:Reposting here from a 2L that posted on Facebook - if you are interested let me know and I can put you two in contact:

"My roommates and I are moving out from our house. It's at 521 Melrose, so about a three minute walk to the law school. 3 BR, one bath, $1600/month. About the best tailgating spot there is. Owner managed too, so that's a perk. Driveway parking for five cars. Gameday you can get more in the yard.

Note, not a sublease. We are just trying to help the owners find graduate student tenants. Lease is for a year starting Aug. 2013."

This is a cool house that is seriously about a block from the law school (its closer than the student parking lot). I know some people that live close to school like this make some extra cash by renting driveway space to fellow students and renting driveway/yard space for gameday. This is a great house, and hope a law
student continues to live there.
I'm interested if else is as well. You should tell them to list it on the housing doc. A little about me: I will be 25 at the start of the school year. I'm female and social although I work really hard. looking to move in early August but would consider July if it was the right place. No gender preference as I have lived with both. ideally I would like to find a situation that would last all 3 years. pm me if you might want to get a place with me. I'm.hoping to look at some places Wednesday night.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:20 pm

Pineoneer wrote: I'm interested if else is as well. You should tell them to list it on the housing doc. A little about me: I will be 25 at the start of the school year. I'm female and social although I work really hard. looking to move in early August but would consider July if it was the right place. No gender preference as I have lived with both. ideally I would like to find a situation that would last all 3 years. pm me if you might want to get a place with me. I'm.hoping to look at some places Wednesday night.
If you find some roommates this would be perfect for y'all and you could stay all 3 years.

I'm not sure what the housing doc is, but I'll mention that to him. I don't think he's super motivated to find anyone for it, just wants to make sure law students know its available.

illiniguy1551

Bronze

Post by illiniguy1551 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:59 pm

How long after going into review did most people hear back? I applied post-Feb LSAT and I'm already under review (75% LSAT, between median and 75% GPA), hoping it doesn't take terribly long...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:07 pm

illiniguy1551 wrote:How long after going into review did most people hear back? I applied post-Feb LSAT and I'm already under review (75% LSAT, between median and 75% GPA), hoping it doesn't take terribly long...
You'll probably hear pretty quick. Above both medians is a pretty solid candidate for admission, so it shouldn't take long for a decision.

TheDudeliest

New

Post by TheDudeliest » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:14 pm

Pineoneer wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Reposting here from a 2L that posted on Facebook - if you are interested let me know and I can put you two in contact:

This is a cool house that is seriously about a block from the law school (its closer than the student parking lot). I know some people that live close to school like this make some extra cash by renting driveway space to fellow students and renting driveway/yard space for gameday. This is a great house, and hope a law
student continues to live there.
I'm interested if else is as well. You should tell them to list it on the housing doc. A little about me: I will be 25 at the start of the school year. I'm female and social although I work really hard. looking to move in early August but would consider July if it was the right place. No gender preference as I have lived with both. ideally I would like to find a situation that would last all 3 years. pm me if you might want to get a place with me. I'm.hoping to look at some places Wednesday night.
I might be interested in this as well. Are you going to be in Iowa City on thursday then? Has anyone else expressed interest in the house that any of you know of?

michaelm55

Bronze

Post by michaelm55 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:35 pm

I got a full ride, but it depends upon receiving in state tuition my last two years via an assistantship. Am I guarenteed the assistantship or not? Does anybody know?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:46 pm

michaelm55 wrote:I got a full ride, but it depends upon receiving in state tuition my last two years via an assistantship. Am I guarenteed the assistantship or not? Does anybody know?
It isn't guaranteed, but everyone who wanted one got one as far as I know. There are plenty of options.
TheDudeliest wrote:
I might be interested in this as well. Are you going to be in Iowa City on thursday then? Has anyone else expressed interest in the house that any of you know of?
No other interest that I know of yet, but I'm not positive. Not sure if you're talking to me or the other poster, but I'll be around at the ASW reception and will be inviting you all to law night afterwards once we decide on a venue.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:52 pm

Pineoneer

New

Post by Pineoneer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:17 pm

TheDudeliest wrote:
Pineoneer wrote:
Ya I will be in Iowa city Wednesday evening which would be the best time for me to look at a place as I have to work out in Vinton during the day Thursday.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:30 pm

Unofficial 2013 rankings are out - Iowa jumped three spots to #26 :)

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+2#

DportIA

Bronze

Post by DportIA » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:39 pm

chrisbru wrote:Unofficial 2013 rankings are out - Iowa jumped three spots to #26 :)

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... ngs/page+2#
Always welcome news. I think that with Iowa taking off its scholarship stipulations (which will bring in those higher LSAT/GPA scores who now won't fear losing their scholarship), and the new importance of hiring in US News Rankings, the ranking game will play favorably for Iowa in the next few years. Iowa's ability to decrease its class size has been solid.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”