Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
brewcrew7000
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby brewcrew7000 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:34 am

magp90 wrote:
brewcrew7000 wrote:Just paid my deposit! Looks like I'll be at Temple in the fall.

On another note, does anyone know where most of the law students live?


A lot of students live in Northern Liberties, which is to the west of Temple. Then a lot in Center City (east) and then some in Fairmount (west, near the Art Museum). Everything is relatively close with public transport, so it's really kind of up to what you want to pay and what kind of personality you like in your neighborhood. The areas can be pretty distinct.



Thank you all for the help! Looking forward to heading down to Philly and checking out the campus for a second time.

BlueBerryBus
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:08 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby BlueBerryBus » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:14 pm

Any one out there still waiting for a decision? Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the PT class is close to full?

User avatar
banana$$stand
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby banana$$stand » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:51 pm

Does anyone know if Temple acknowledges a withdrawal? Sent one in about a week ago...

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby magp90 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:24 pm

banana$$stand wrote:Does anyone know if Temple acknowledges a withdrawal? Sent one in about a week ago...


I withdrew from two other local schools and they responded a few days later. I wouldn't worry about it? But if you really want to be sure, you can contact them again... though I'd imagine that would be awkward.

Minnywild7
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:49 am

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby Minnywild7 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:43 am

Would it be a smart decision to bring my car to Philly? I heard that a car is not neccessary, but I was thinking about bringing it just in case of emergency. Does anyone know what the status is regarding parking fees and whether it is feasible to park it anywhere in the city?

Lumieres
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby Lumieres » Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:59 am

Minnywild7 wrote:Would it be a smart decision to bring my car to Philly? I heard that a car is not neccessary, but I was thinking about bringing it just in case of emergency. Does anyone know what the status is regarding parking fees and whether it is feasible to park it anywhere in the city?


Where will you be living?

It's always nice to have for emergencies. If you're living in center city, what you can do is get a parking permit through the city for only $30/year, and you can park for free on the streets in your zone. Just need a copy of your lease and I believe the car also needs to be registered in PA, with PA tags.

Depending on the neighborhood though, you can find free street parking without registering in PA.

Keasbey
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby Keasbey » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:04 am

Minnywild7 wrote:Would it be a smart decision to bring my car to Philly? I heard that a car is not neccessary, but I was thinking about bringing it just in case of emergency. Does anyone know what the status is regarding parking fees and whether it is feasible to park it anywhere in the city?


This wholly depends on where you live in the city. Some buildings have parking lots of their own, sometimes there are parking lots nearby. Outside of center city you can find street parking sometimes. It also depends on how close you are to things like a grocery store or a laundromat (if you need one). If you're something like 10 blocks from a grocery store I'd say you need a car. Most importantly, if you don't live near the broad street line you'll probably have to depend on regional rail or busses, which isn't a problem for some people, but a big problem for others.

Minnywild7
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:49 am

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby Minnywild7 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:21 pm

I haven't decided where I will be living next year. I was thinking about living on campus and I read that on campus housing is available, but I am also open to living off campus. I was just curious about the parking situation as a whole in the city of Philadelphia since I dont know if I can park at Temple.

Also, since we are on the subject of housing, where do most students live? I know that there was a previous post about this but do a lot of law students live on campus? I would think that living on campus would be more convenient since it is right next to the school, but I havent read any posts about this possiblity. Are any entering students thinking about living on campus next year?

User avatar
moneyball026
Posts: 208
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:07 am

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby moneyball026 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:30 pm

Minnywild7 wrote:I haven't decided where I will be living next year. I was thinking about living on campus and I read that on campus housing is available, but I am also open to living off campus. I was just curious about the parking situation as a whole in the city of Philadelphia since I dont know if I can park at Temple.

Also, since we are on the subject of housing, where do most students live? I know that there was a previous post about this but do a lot of law students live on campus? I would think that living on campus would be more convenient since it is right next to the school, but I havent read any posts about this possiblity. Are any entering students thinking about living on campus next year?


DO NOT LIVE ON CAMPUS. I repeat, do not live on campus. I would recommend living in Northern Liberties and biking or taking the subway. Manayunk + train commute also works. as a former temple undergraduate student, just trust me that you do not want to live on campus. Threat of violence, only undergrad students, awful living conditions.

Keasbey
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby Keasbey » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:45 pm

Minnywild7 wrote:I haven't decided where I will be living next year. I was thinking about living on campus and I read that on campus housing is available, but I am also open to living off campus. I was just curious about the parking situation as a whole in the city of Philadelphia since I dont know if I can park at Temple.

Also, since we are on the subject of housing, where do most students live? I know that there was a previous post about this but do a lot of law students live on campus? I would think that living on campus would be more convenient since it is right next to the school, but I havent read any posts about this possiblity. Are any entering students thinking about living on campus next year?



The neighborhood around temple is horrendous and I wouldn't want to live there, much less have a car there. I went to an area school and I've known of temple students living anywhere from south Philly to manayunk/east falls to northern liberties/fishtown to center city. I know the schools website has some links to realtors that are decent. The only thing with Philly is that neighborhoods go from safe to unsafe pretty fast so if you're unfamiliar I would suggest asking about the safety of that street.

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby magp90 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Minnywild7 wrote:Would it be a smart decision to bring my car to Philly? I heard that a car is not neccessary, but I was thinking about bringing it just in case of emergency. Does anyone know what the status is regarding parking fees and whether it is feasible to park it anywhere in the city?


I grew up in CA where a car was pretty much a necessity, and I never really believed people when they said that Philly was walkable... but it really is.

Unless you're planning on venturing into a suburbs not connected to the city by SEPTA, chances are you really won't need it. Not to mention that it may not be completely safe parking it at school... If you aren't planning on registering the car in PA, it could wind up being more hassle than it's worth, but I know several people here to have them and (aside from having to park a ways away from home sometimes) have few complaints.

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby magp90 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:43 pm

Minnywild7 wrote:I haven't decided where I will be living next year. I was thinking about living on campus and I read that on campus housing is available, but I am also open to living off campus. I was just curious about the parking situation as a whole in the city of Philadelphia since I dont know if I can park at Temple.

Also, since we are on the subject of housing, where do most students live? I know that there was a previous post about this but do a lot of law students live on campus? I would think that living on campus would be more convenient since it is right next to the school, but I havent read any posts about this possiblity. Are any entering students thinking about living on campus next year?


Echoing other responses, DO NOT LIVE ON CAMPUS. The convenience of Philadelphia doesn't even make it that much more of a convenience, and it certainly isn't worth whatever pros there may be. Living in Center City can be a ten minute ride on the Broad Street Line and places like Northern Liberties and Fairmount have a bunch of students... Definitely research the precise location of any apartment you may be looking at, though, because there aren't that many neighborhoods that are unilaterally reliable when it comes to safety... but it's probably better than living in North Philly.

carebearstare
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:46 am

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby carebearstare » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:07 am

From what I'm hearing and what I've read, Center City is the area a lot of student choose to live. My biggest concern, however, is that I REALLY want to keep my dog with me and I want to find a place that I can keep him but not pay an arm and a leg in rent. Does anybody know how that's going to work? Or if it would work at all in Center City? Or have any suggestions for other neighborhoods that would? Also, I'm looking for a roommate or two if anybody is interested.

Lumieres
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby Lumieres » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:29 pm

carebearstare wrote:From what I'm hearing and what I've read, Center City is the area a lot of student choose to live. My biggest concern, however, is that I REALLY want to keep my dog with me and I want to find a place that I can keep him but not pay an arm and a leg in rent. Does anybody know how that's going to work? Or if it would work at all in Center City? Or have any suggestions for other neighborhoods that would? Also, I'm looking for a roommate or two if anybody is interested.


What's your budget? You won't have any problems finding a place that is dog friendly.

1 BRs will go around 1100-1300, while you can find studios for under 1000.

carebearstare
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:46 am

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby carebearstare » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:17 pm

Lumieres wrote:
carebearstare wrote:From what I'm hearing and what I've read, Center City is the area a lot of student choose to live. My biggest concern, however, is that I REALLY want to keep my dog with me and I want to find a place that I can keep him but not pay an arm and a leg in rent. Does anybody know how that's going to work? Or if it would work at all in Center City? Or have any suggestions for other neighborhoods that would? Also, I'm looking for a roommate or two if anybody is interested.


What's your budget? You won't have any problems finding a place that is dog friendly.

1 BRs will go around 1100-1300, while you can find studios for under 1000.

Ideally I'd like to stay under 1k/m and I wouldn't mind a studio, but I think it might be a good idea to have a roommate to help with costs. Plus I don't know Philly at all so I'd rather not live by myself.

Lumieres
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby Lumieres » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:08 pm

Gotcha. You can find a nice spot with a roommate.

This management co. has a lot of rentals available, and most are dog friendly.

http://www.pmcpropertygroup.com/

brewcrew7000
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:24 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby brewcrew7000 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:38 pm

When are people planning on signing leases? I'm going to visit in early June and am not sure whether I'm going to try to find a roommate or not...

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby magp90 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:56 pm

brewcrew7000 wrote:When are people planning on signing leases? I'm going to visit in early June and am not sure whether I'm going to try to find a roommate or not...


The lease for my apartments starts at the beginning of July.

It doesn't take long to find an apartment if have an idea of what you want in mind before you get to Philly. If you take a look at Craigslist or padmapper.com a month or two before you visit (or talk to a realtor), it could be pretty painless. I know people in our class are definitely looking for roommates, so you would probably have a good shot.

cc6148
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:09 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby cc6148 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:37 pm

Has anyone seen any movement from the waitlist yet?

csexton182
Posts: 85
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:39 am

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby csexton182 » Thu May 16, 2013 11:10 am

cc6148 wrote:Has anyone seen any movement from the waitlist yet?



curious about this too... no movement for me

nick417
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby nick417 » Thu May 16, 2013 12:57 pm

csexton182 wrote:
cc6148 wrote:Has anyone seen any movement from the waitlist yet?



curious about this too... no movement for me



I get the feeling Temple might not accept anyone off the waitlist.

Other schools where I have been waitlisted at have at least been up front regarding the process and what the school is doing.

If you email Temple, they give you nothing. They won't even say whether they are OR are not looking at the waitlist.

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby magp90 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:39 pm

nick417 wrote:
csexton182 wrote:
cc6148 wrote:Has anyone seen any movement from the waitlist yet?



curious about this too... no movement for me



I get the feeling Temple might not accept anyone off the waitlist.

Other schools where I have been waitlisted at have at least been up front regarding the process and what the school is doing.

If you email Temple, they give you nothing. They won't even say whether they are OR are not looking at the waitlist.


I received an email about them regarding my scholarship last week, and they said that they had "officially assembled [their] fall entering class." I think the true test will come in June when the second deposit is due? Some students put initial deposits down at multiple schools while they're still deciding.

cc6148
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:09 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby cc6148 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:45 pm

magp90 wrote:
nick417 wrote:
csexton182 wrote:
cc6148 wrote:Has anyone seen any movement from the waitlist yet?



curious about this too... no movement for me



I get the feeling Temple might not accept anyone off the waitlist.

Other schools where I have been waitlisted at have at least been up front regarding the process and what the school is doing.

If you email Temple, they give you nothing. They won't even say whether they are OR are not looking at the waitlist.


I received an email about them regarding my scholarship last week, and they said that they had "officially assembled [their] fall entering class." I think the true test will come in June when the second deposit is due? Some students put initial deposits down at multiple schools while they're still deciding.



Yikes. Doesn't sound too good for those of us that are waitlisted. I'm guessing even if some spots do open up in June there won't be many.

Lumieres
Posts: 208
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:57 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby Lumieres » Thu May 16, 2013 2:24 pm

Yeah. +1 to magp's post.

I know a few people who sent in multiple deposits who are still undecided. I'm totally against it, but it is what it is and they want more time to decide. Must stink for the waitlisted people, but hopefully they don't send in multiple 2nd deposits come June...

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby magp90 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Lumieres wrote:Yeah. +1 to magp's post.

I know a few people who sent in multiple deposits who are still undecided. I'm totally against it, but it is what it is and they want more time to decide. Must stink for the waitlisted people, but hopefully they don't send in multiple 2nd deposits come June...


Yeah, the costs ultimately add up for them if they continue to put down multiple deposits... we can only hope that's a disincentive... Best of luck, you guys!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”