Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Sadieche2464

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby Sadieche2464 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:16 pm

Lumieres wrote:Any TLSers still waiting on a decision?

Me! But I submitted late February and applied PT so I'm not sure when I should expect to hear back.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:35 pm

Sadieche2464 wrote:

Me! But I submitted late February and applied PT so I'm not sure when I should expect to hear back.

I went complete in early March, so it looks like you'll hear back earlier than me at least. When were your complete dates (multiple?)?

Sadieche2464

Postby Sadieche2464 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:58 pm

Lumieres wrote:
Sadieche2464 wrote:

I went complete in early March, so it looks like you'll hear back earlier than me at least. When were your complete dates (multiple?)?

Same. Complete 3/7. No updates.

crazyducky924

Postby crazyducky924 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:47 am

Sadieche2464 wrote:
Lumieres wrote:
Sadieche2464 wrote:

Same. Complete 3/7. No updates.

I applied FT back in January. Went complete 1/25. No updates. I emailed them and they said most decisions take between 8-10 wks.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:56 am

I applied FT back in January. Went complete 1/25. No updates. I emailed them and they said most decisions take between 8-10 wks.

You're hitting the 9-week mark tomorrow, so I'm sure a decision is nearing for you.

Did you have multiple complete dates?
Last edited by Lumieres on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

moneyball026

Postby moneyball026 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:10 am

Withdrew today, was offered a beasley scholarship. Hoping this frees a spot and some money for you deserving folks out there.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:24 am

moneyball026 wrote:Withdrew today, was offered a beasley scholarship. Hoping this frees a spot and some money for you deserving folks out there.

Thanks moneyball and congrats on your acceptances.

Are you going to take that nice scholly offer from northwestern?

crazyducky924

Postby crazyducky924 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:30 am

Lumieres wrote:

You're hitting the 9-week mark tomorrow, so I'm sure a decision is nearing for you.

Did you have multiple complete dates?

Nope, just the one complete date.

elc414

Postby elc414 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:53 am

Can anyone weigh in on the open house for those of us that couldn't make it?

The Lucky One

Postby The Lucky One » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:10 am

elc414 wrote:Can anyone weigh in on the open house for those of us that couldn't make it?

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Mind you, I'm already committed, so for me it was more about learning what to expect than making a decision. I found getting to talk to existing evening students very helpful, career services seems very committed to helping you find employment, and they really tout their experiential learning, getting real-world training rather than just academic theory. I haven't attended any other open houses, so can't say how it compares to other schools.

Multiple people I talked to indicated they were deciding between Temple and Penn, with them not having heard back from Penn yet.

Keasbey

Postby Keasbey » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:17 am

The Lucky One wrote:
elc414 wrote:Can anyone weigh in on the open house for those of us that couldn't make it?

I enjoyed it quite a bit. Mind you, I'm already committed, so for me it was more about learning what to expect than making a decision. I found getting to talk to existing evening students very helpful, career services seems very committed to helping you find employment, and they really tout their experiential learning, getting real-world training rather than just academic theory. I haven't attended any other open houses, so can't say how it compares to other schools.

Multiple people I talked to indicated they were deciding between Temple and Penn, with them not having heard back from Penn yet.

I agree with and it was much more informative than drexel's open house. It also turns out that the full time/short term employment is almost all "conwell community corp" fellowships which are six month school funded stints doing actual lawyer work for public interest entities. Doesn't sound like the most amazing option, but at least those school funded jobs seem somewhat useful.

brewcrew7000

Postby brewcrew7000 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:50 pm

Hey everyone, I could use a little advice/input:

I visited Temple a few weeks ago and loved the school. The faculty seemed great and the career center actually seems to work well with their students in terms of jobs after college. Plus I've talked to a few alums and others in Philly who say Temple is very well respected and grads have legitimate shots at working at big firms in the philly/baltimore/dc area. Obviously they're competing with Penn kids, but many of which go to NY/CHI/etc.

Unfortunately, I did not receive any scholly aid. However, I did get 21,000 a year at Loyola Chicago, although I liked Temple better and the job prospects seem better considering there are 6 law schools in chicago. That isn't to say I didn't like LUC, but I just enjoyed the atmosphere at Temple much better.

I withdrew acceptances at Pitt (15,000 a year), Marquette, Lewis and Clark.

I'm in at American but I didn't feel great about it (didn't like class size or ridiculous tuition cost).

And obviously I have my waitlist schools that I'm reaching for.

Anyway, the advice I need is whether I should be taking the money at Loyola or going at sticker to Temple? Realistically (cause LUC is 40 a year and Temple is 32 for me) I'd be saving 13,000 a year in tuition, setting aside COL.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:36 pm

brewcrew7000 wrote:Anyway, the advice I need is whether I should be taking the money at Loyola or going at sticker to Temple? Realistically (cause LUC is 40 a year and Temple is 32 for me) I'd be saving 13,000 a year in tuition, setting aside COL.

I think you answered your question here. 13k/year is big, and LUC and Temple are pretty much in the same tier (obviously feeds into two different markets though). Now, it's a different story if you want to practice in the mid Atlantic region and see yourself there in the long term. If I were you though, I would stick with Loyola.

brewcrew7000

Postby brewcrew7000 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:09 pm

Lumieres wrote:
brewcrew7000 wrote:Anyway, the advice I need is whether I should be taking the money at Loyola or going at sticker to Temple? Realistically (cause LUC is 40 a year and Temple is 32 for me) I'd be saving 13,000 a year in tuition, setting aside COL.

I think you answered your question here. 13k/year is big, and LUC and Temple are pretty much in the same tier (obviously feeds into two different markets though). Now, it's a different story if you want to practice in the mid Atlantic region and see yourself there in the long term. If I were you though, I would stick with Loyola.

Thanks for the input. 13 a year is definitely big, I'm just very worried about the Chicago market with Loyola being the disputed 3rd best there (Chicago, Illinois, and then you have Kent and LUC). And Depaul competes too.

Keasbey

Postby Keasbey » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:16 pm

brewcrew7000 wrote:
Lumieres wrote:

Thanks for the input. 13 a year is definitely big, I'm just very worried about the Chicago market with Loyola being the disputed 3rd best there (Chicago, Illinois, and then you have Kent and LUC). And Depaul competes too.

If you want to work in Philly, Temple is the second best school to go to (after penn, of course), and as you said, most of the Penn students leave. If you liked the school better and you think the job prospects are better, then I think you have your answer.

But, there are also six law schools in Philadelphia, as there are in Chicago (Penn, Temple, Rutgers Camden, Nova, Drexel, and Widener).

Finally - http://www.lstscorereports.com/?r=pa

acapella

Postby acapella » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:17 am

I sent my application on February 28, but I had an issue with one of my transcripts, so basically it went complete on March 28. They changed it again only one day later, on March 29. Good sign? Bad sign? People with my scores seem to get waitlisted, but I applied for evenings and I think I have some other strength in my application (Non-native English speaker, non-traditional, Temple undergrad, working as a paralegal for Temple Alumni who recommended me..).

brewcrew7000

Postby brewcrew7000 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:50 am

What are your scores?

banana$$stand

Postby banana$$stand » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:00 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/temple-law-school.html

TLS school profile. Not very flattering..but nothing we didn't know.

komebackkid6

Postby komebackkid6 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:03 pm

Longtime lurker, accepted to the Full time day division sometime in January I will not be going. Good luck to all.

Lumieres

Postby Lumieres » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:28 am

acapella wrote:I sent my application on February 28, but I had an issue with one of my transcripts, so basically it went complete on March 28. They changed it again only one day later, on March 29. Good sign? Bad sign? People with my scores seem to get waitlisted, but I applied for evenings and I think I have some other strength in my application (Non-native English speaker, non-traditional, Temple undergrad, working as a paralegal for Temple Alumni who recommended me..).

No clue, regarding the multiple complete dates. You might have to wait some time for a decision though. Seems like people even with early March complete dates are still waiting.

bowie.alan

Postby bowie.alan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:57 am

Accepted 04/04 via email

BlueBerryBus

Postby BlueBerryBus » Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:30 pm

Anybody still waiting for a decision?

brewcrew7000

Postby brewcrew7000 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:38 pm

Just paid my deposit! Looks like I'll be at Temple in the fall.

On another note, does anyone know where most of the law students live?

magp90

Postby magp90 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:55 pm

brewcrew7000 wrote:Just paid my deposit! Looks like I'll be at Temple in the fall.

A lot of students live in Northern Liberties, which is to the west of Temple. Then a lot in Center City (east) and then some in Fairmount (west, near the Art Museum). Everything is relatively close with public transport, so it's really kind of up to what you want to pay and what kind of personality you like in your neighborhood. The areas can be pretty distinct.

cartejul

Postby cartejul » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:37 pm

brewcrew7000 wrote:Just paid my deposit! Looks like I'll be at Temple in the fall.

I found this really helpful. See you in the Fall!
http://www.law.temple.edu/Documents/Pru ... 0Guide.pdf

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”