Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
magp90

Bronze

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Post by magp90 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:06 pm

jvsj wrote:When do you guys need to have your seat deposits in by?
April 15th

phillyfun

New

Post by phillyfun » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:49 pm

magp90 wrote:For other admitted students who were told that their scholarships would go under reconsideration, what does "mid-February" mean? I know today is a holiday, so who the hell knows what would happen today, but if we don't hear this week would it be okay to ask for a status update? Or would that just piss them off?
I was told in my e-mail for scholly reconsideration last week (I believe it was Thursday), that they would let me know within a week. So might be better to just wait? Who knows. :-/

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:49 pm

phillyfun wrote:
magp90 wrote:For other admitted students who were told that their scholarships would go under reconsideration, what does "mid-February" mean? I know today is a holiday, so who the hell knows what would happen today, but if we don't hear this week would it be okay to ask for a status update? Or would that just piss them off?
I was told in my e-mail for scholly reconsideration last week (I believe it was Thursday), that they would let me know within a week. So might be better to just wait? Who knows. :-/
Yeah my first instinct would be not to harass them. The only reason I'm a little bit nervous is because my email was forward from one dean to the committee, so it would be mostly to confirm that they received my request. If other people start hearing back and I still haven't heard anything, then maybe I'll get in touch.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:46 pm

Got my renegotiated scholarship! Upped from the Law Faculty Scholarship ($3,750/year) to the Beasley Scholarship ($10,000/year), which they say is the most prestigious so I'm assuming it can't go much higher than that for me.

Definitely better than before, and I'm excited!

cc6148

New

Post by cc6148 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:51 pm

magp90 wrote:Got my renegotiated scholarship! Upped from the Law Faculty Scholarship ($3,750/year) to the Beasley Scholarship ($10,000/year), which they say is the most prestigious so I'm assuming it can't go much higher than that for me.

Nice, congrats!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

superhopefulwoo

Bronze

Post by superhopefulwoo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:52 pm

magp90 wrote:Got my renegotiated scholarship! Upped from the Law Faculty Scholarship ($3,750/year) to the Beasley Scholarship ($10,000/year), which they say is the most prestigious so I'm assuming it can't go much higher than that for me.

Are you instate?

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:53 pm

superhopefulwoo wrote:

Are you instate?
Yes, I'm in-state.

phillyfun

New

Post by phillyfun » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Good for you! Congrats!

When did you hear back? I haven't heard a peep yet, haha.

Keasbey

New

Post by Keasbey » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:03 pm

I emailed then today with another scholarship offer today and got dinged from a merit scholarship. Still, the instate is pretty cheap.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

superhopefulwoo

Bronze

Post by superhopefulwoo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:19 pm

Keasbey wrote:I emailed then today with another scholarship offer today and got dinged from a merit scholarship. Still, the instate is pretty cheap.
What do you mean you were dinged from another merit scholarship?!

Keasbey

New

Post by Keasbey » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:26 pm

superhopefulwoo wrote:
Keasbey wrote:I emailed then today with another scholarship offer today and got dinged from a merit scholarship. Still, the instate is pretty cheap.
What do you mean you were dinged from another merit scholarship?!
I originally did not receive a scholarship so I emailed them two other offers in hopes to negotiate. I then emailed them a third offer today and they told me they didn't have the funds to give me a scholarship.

phillyfun

New

Post by phillyfun » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Any indication that they might have the funds once they got their class/attendance more "figured out"? Do you mind posting your stats?

Keasbey

New

Post by Keasbey » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:56 pm

No indication. But 3.15/160 with strong softs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:04 pm

phillyfun wrote:Good for you! Congrats!

When did you hear back? I haven't heard a peep yet, haha.
I heard back this afternoon around 5.45 pm Eastern time via email. I had emailed them originally asking for more merit aid very early in February, so maybe they're reviewing them in order?

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:54 pm

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm a little uninformed when it comes to the FAFSA and federal loans.

If we fill out the Temple Financial Aid application with the FAFSA, are we committing to accept the loans that they grant us, or does it simply afford us the option should they be made available?

In other words, if I were to somehow decide after submitting the financial aid requests that I didn't want and/or need them anymore, could I turn them down?

phillyfun

New

Post by phillyfun » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:18 pm

magp90 wrote:I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm a little uninformed when it comes to the FAFSA and federal loans.

If we fill out the Temple Financial Aid application with the FAFSA, are we committing to accept the loans that they grant us, or does it simply afford us the option should they be made available?

In other words, if I were to somehow decide after submitting the financial aid requests that I didn't want and/or need them anymore, could I turn them down?

I was worried I might "over borrow" as well. I was told (by Temple Financial Aid Office) that we have the first few weeks of school to return any unused/extra financial aid $ we don't need; without having to incur any interest on that portion.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:32 pm

phillyfun wrote:
magp90 wrote:I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm a little uninformed when it comes to the FAFSA and federal loans.

I was worried I might "over borrow" as well. I was told (by Temple Financial Aid Office) that we have the first few weeks of school to return any unused/extra financial aid $ we don't need; without having to incur any interest on that portion.
So essentially we are initially committing to the loans, but we have the option to return them with no risk at a later date?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

phillyfun

New

Post by phillyfun » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:36 pm

magp90 wrote:
phillyfun wrote:

So essentially we are initially committing to the loans, but we have the option to return them with no risk at a later date?
That was my understanding. I asked for about 2-3k more than I anticipated needing, just to be safe and not cut it too close. But, to be safe, you can always shoot the financial aid people an email to confirm. They were really great about getting back to me within about 24 hrs on weekdays.

Since you are filling out the Temple Fin Aid form, are you officially attending Temple?

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:39 pm

phillyfun wrote:
magp90 wrote:
phillyfun wrote:

That was my understanding. I asked for about 2-3k more than I anticipated needing, just to be safe and not cut it too close. But, to be safe, you can always shoot the financial aid people an email to confirm. They were really great about getting back to me within about 24 hrs on weekdays.

Since you are filling out the Temple Fin Aid form, are you officially attending Temple?
I haven't officially committed, but I do intend on attending Temple. The other schools I applied to gave me full rides, but I'd rather pay ($9000/year) for Temple than accept those offers, frankly... but I'm doing my family the favor of tossing all options around. Are you?

phillyfun

New

Post by phillyfun » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:46 pm

Yeah it's where I will be attending. I am doing the part-time evening. Just trying to get money out of them at this point for the same reason as you -- the family thing.

The Lucky One

New

Post by The Lucky One » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Keasbey wrote:No indication. But 3.15/160 with strong softs.
If it makes you feel any better, I was 3.2 undergrad / 163, plus a 3.83 business school GPA, and I didn't get any money either.

I'm definitely going anyway. Would like to do well enough to earn one for next year, though. Here's hoping.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tony2167

Bronze

Post by tony2167 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:51 pm

$10k/year is their most prestigious scholarship? :-/

I love the idea of going to Temple but being OOS I'd need a lot more than that. It's starting to look like I need to abandon the thought of attending Temple.

phlmar

New

Post by phlmar » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:25 pm

tony2167 wrote: I love the idea of going to Temple but being OOS I'd need a lot more than that. It's starting to look like I need to abandon the thought of attending Temple.

This. Sad because I am from the Phila area and really want to stay, but also can not justify the OOS tuition. Its not like my numbers are weak, either... :/

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:46 pm

^^ according to LSN, Temple has awarded $20k/yr to applicants that they really want.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:06 am

tony2167 wrote:

$10k/year is their most prestigious scholarship? :-/

I love the idea of going to Temple but being OOS I'd need a lot more than that. It's starting to look like I need to abandon the thought of attending Temple.
I'm in-state so it means they're covering just over half of my tuition. The numbers are different for out of state applicants, obviously. But I have absolutely no doubt that they give out more. I'm just relaying what was in my award letter and what the dean told me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”