Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby magp90 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:06 pm

jvsj wrote:When do you guys need to have your seat deposits in by?


April 15th

User avatar
phillyfun
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby phillyfun » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:49 pm

magp90 wrote:For other admitted students who were told that their scholarships would go under reconsideration, what does "mid-February" mean? I know today is a holiday, so who the hell knows what would happen today, but if we don't hear this week would it be okay to ask for a status update? Or would that just piss them off?


I was told in my e-mail for scholly reconsideration last week (I believe it was Thursday), that they would let me know within a week. So might be better to just wait? Who knows. :-/

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby magp90 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:49 pm

phillyfun wrote:
magp90 wrote:For other admitted students who were told that their scholarships would go under reconsideration, what does "mid-February" mean? I know today is a holiday, so who the hell knows what would happen today, but if we don't hear this week would it be okay to ask for a status update? Or would that just piss them off?


I was told in my e-mail for scholly reconsideration last week (I believe it was Thursday), that they would let me know within a week. So might be better to just wait? Who knows. :-/


Yeah my first instinct would be not to harass them. The only reason I'm a little bit nervous is because my email was forward from one dean to the committee, so it would be mostly to confirm that they received my request. If other people start hearing back and I still haven't heard anything, then maybe I'll get in touch.

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby magp90 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:46 pm

Got my renegotiated scholarship! Upped from the Law Faculty Scholarship ($3,750/year) to the Beasley Scholarship ($10,000/year), which they say is the most prestigious so I'm assuming it can't go much higher than that for me.

Definitely better than before, and I'm excited!

cc6148
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:09 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby cc6148 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:51 pm

magp90 wrote:Got my renegotiated scholarship! Upped from the Law Faculty Scholarship ($3,750/year) to the Beasley Scholarship ($10,000/year), which they say is the most prestigious so I'm assuming it can't go much higher than that for me.

Definitely better than before, and I'm excited!



Nice, congrats!

superhopefulwoo
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby superhopefulwoo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:52 pm

magp90 wrote:Got my renegotiated scholarship! Upped from the Law Faculty Scholarship ($3,750/year) to the Beasley Scholarship ($10,000/year), which they say is the most prestigious so I'm assuming it can't go much higher than that for me.

Definitely better than before, and I'm excited!


Are you instate?

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby magp90 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:53 pm

superhopefulwoo wrote:
magp90 wrote:Got my renegotiated scholarship! Upped from the Law Faculty Scholarship ($3,750/year) to the Beasley Scholarship ($10,000/year), which they say is the most prestigious so I'm assuming it can't go much higher than that for me.

Definitely better than before, and I'm excited!


Are you instate?


Yes, I'm in-state.

User avatar
phillyfun
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby phillyfun » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:44 pm

Good for you! Congrats!

When did you hear back? I haven't heard a peep yet, haha.

Keasbey
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby Keasbey » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:03 pm

I emailed then today with another scholarship offer today and got dinged from a merit scholarship. Still, the instate is pretty cheap.

superhopefulwoo
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby superhopefulwoo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:19 pm

Keasbey wrote:I emailed then today with another scholarship offer today and got dinged from a merit scholarship. Still, the instate is pretty cheap.

What do you mean you were dinged from another merit scholarship?!

Keasbey
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby Keasbey » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:26 pm

superhopefulwoo wrote:
Keasbey wrote:I emailed then today with another scholarship offer today and got dinged from a merit scholarship. Still, the instate is pretty cheap.

What do you mean you were dinged from another merit scholarship?!


I originally did not receive a scholarship so I emailed them two other offers in hopes to negotiate. I then emailed them a third offer today and they told me they didn't have the funds to give me a scholarship.

User avatar
phillyfun
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby phillyfun » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:32 pm

Any indication that they might have the funds once they got their class/attendance more "figured out"? Do you mind posting your stats?

Keasbey
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby Keasbey » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:56 pm

No indication. But 3.15/160 with strong softs.

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby magp90 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:04 pm

phillyfun wrote:Good for you! Congrats!

When did you hear back? I haven't heard a peep yet, haha.


I heard back this afternoon around 5.45 pm Eastern time via email. I had emailed them originally asking for more merit aid very early in February, so maybe they're reviewing them in order?

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby magp90 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:54 pm

I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm a little uninformed when it comes to the FAFSA and federal loans.

If we fill out the Temple Financial Aid application with the FAFSA, are we committing to accept the loans that they grant us, or does it simply afford us the option should they be made available?

In other words, if I were to somehow decide after submitting the financial aid requests that I didn't want and/or need them anymore, could I turn them down?

User avatar
phillyfun
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby phillyfun » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:18 pm

magp90 wrote:I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm a little uninformed when it comes to the FAFSA and federal loans.

If we fill out the Temple Financial Aid application with the FAFSA, are we committing to accept the loans that they grant us, or does it simply afford us the option should they be made available?

In other words, if I were to somehow decide after submitting the financial aid requests that I didn't want and/or need them anymore, could I turn them down?



I was worried I might "over borrow" as well. I was told (by Temple Financial Aid Office) that we have the first few weeks of school to return any unused/extra financial aid $ we don't need; without having to incur any interest on that portion.

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby magp90 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:32 pm

phillyfun wrote:
magp90 wrote:I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm a little uninformed when it comes to the FAFSA and federal loans.

If we fill out the Temple Financial Aid application with the FAFSA, are we committing to accept the loans that they grant us, or does it simply afford us the option should they be made available?

In other words, if I were to somehow decide after submitting the financial aid requests that I didn't want and/or need them anymore, could I turn them down?



I was worried I might "over borrow" as well. I was told (by Temple Financial Aid Office) that we have the first few weeks of school to return any unused/extra financial aid $ we don't need; without having to incur any interest on that portion.


So essentially we are initially committing to the loans, but we have the option to return them with no risk at a later date?

User avatar
phillyfun
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby phillyfun » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:36 pm

magp90 wrote:
phillyfun wrote:
magp90 wrote:I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm a little uninformed when it comes to the FAFSA and federal loans.

If we fill out the Temple Financial Aid application with the FAFSA, are we committing to accept the loans that they grant us, or does it simply afford us the option should they be made available?

In other words, if I were to somehow decide after submitting the financial aid requests that I didn't want and/or need them anymore, could I turn them down?



I was worried I might "over borrow" as well. I was told (by Temple Financial Aid Office) that we have the first few weeks of school to return any unused/extra financial aid $ we don't need; without having to incur any interest on that portion.


So essentially we are initially committing to the loans, but we have the option to return them with no risk at a later date?


That was my understanding. I asked for about 2-3k more than I anticipated needing, just to be safe and not cut it too close. But, to be safe, you can always shoot the financial aid people an email to confirm. They were really great about getting back to me within about 24 hrs on weekdays.

Since you are filling out the Temple Fin Aid form, are you officially attending Temple?

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby magp90 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:39 pm

phillyfun wrote:
magp90 wrote:
phillyfun wrote:
magp90 wrote:I know this is probably a stupid question, but I'm a little uninformed when it comes to the FAFSA and federal loans.

If we fill out the Temple Financial Aid application with the FAFSA, are we committing to accept the loans that they grant us, or does it simply afford us the option should they be made available?

In other words, if I were to somehow decide after submitting the financial aid requests that I didn't want and/or need them anymore, could I turn them down?



I was worried I might "over borrow" as well. I was told (by Temple Financial Aid Office) that we have the first few weeks of school to return any unused/extra financial aid $ we don't need; without having to incur any interest on that portion.


So essentially we are initially committing to the loans, but we have the option to return them with no risk at a later date?


That was my understanding. I asked for about 2-3k more than I anticipated needing, just to be safe and not cut it too close. But, to be safe, you can always shoot the financial aid people an email to confirm. They were really great about getting back to me within about 24 hrs on weekdays.

Since you are filling out the Temple Fin Aid form, are you officially attending Temple?


I haven't officially committed, but I do intend on attending Temple. The other schools I applied to gave me full rides, but I'd rather pay ($9000/year) for Temple than accept those offers, frankly... but I'm doing my family the favor of tossing all options around. Are you?

User avatar
phillyfun
Posts: 27
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:22 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby phillyfun » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:46 pm

Yeah it's where I will be attending. I am doing the part-time evening. Just trying to get money out of them at this point for the same reason as you -- the family thing.

The Lucky One
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby The Lucky One » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:41 pm

Keasbey wrote:No indication. But 3.15/160 with strong softs.


If it makes you feel any better, I was 3.2 undergrad / 163, plus a 3.83 business school GPA, and I didn't get any money either.

I'm definitely going anyway. Would like to do well enough to earn one for next year, though. Here's hoping.

User avatar
tony2167
Posts: 138
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:04 am

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby tony2167 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:51 pm

magp90 wrote:Got my renegotiated scholarship! Upped from the Law Faculty Scholarship ($3,750/year) to the Beasley Scholarship ($10,000/year), which they say is the most prestigious so I'm assuming it can't go much higher than that for me.

Definitely better than before, and I'm excited!


$10k/year is their most prestigious scholarship? :-/

I love the idea of going to Temple but being OOS I'd need a lot more than that. It's starting to look like I need to abandon the thought of attending Temple.

phlmar
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:51 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby phlmar » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:25 pm

tony2167 wrote:I love the idea of going to Temple but being OOS I'd need a lot more than that. It's starting to look like I need to abandon the thought of attending Temple.



This. Sad because I am from the Phila area and really want to stay, but also can not justify the OOS tuition. Its not like my numbers are weak, either... :/

Big Dog
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:34 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby Big Dog » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:46 pm

^^ according to LSN, Temple has awarded $20k/yr to applicants that they really want.

User avatar
magp90
Posts: 271
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:59 pm

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby magp90 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:06 am

tony2167 wrote:
magp90 wrote:Got my renegotiated scholarship! Upped from the Law Faculty Scholarship ($3,750/year) to the Beasley Scholarship ($10,000/year), which they say is the most prestigious so I'm assuming it can't go much higher than that for me.

Definitely better than before, and I'm excited!


$10k/year is their most prestigious scholarship? :-/

I love the idea of going to Temple but being OOS I'd need a lot more than that. It's starting to look like I need to abandon the thought of attending Temple.


I'm in-state so it means they're covering just over half of my tuition. The numbers are different for out of state applicants, obviously. But I have absolutely no doubt that they give out more. I'm just relaying what was in my award letter and what the dean told me.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Google Adsense [Bot], nslaw123 and 17 guests