Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
a2blifeUIUC

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Postby a2blifeUIUC » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks.

Best of luck to everyone. Hope to hear some good news in January.

Psib337

Postby Psib337 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:59 pm

moneyball026 wrote:
a2blifeUIUC wrote:I've been complete since 10-3. No change since then.

Also, I'm from Illinois, but drove around Philly last week while seeing family. I need some advice from locals. I literally just drove by, but I'm used to being able to bike to class and have a lot to do right on campus. Is this an option at temple, or do most law students live in another part of Philly and commute to class? It seemed like decent housing was going to be scarce.

The program is good for me, but I'd have to live there too. Maybe such a metro campus isn't for me...

Hello there. As a temple grad also applying to Beasley I can provide some insight.

Do not get off campus housing. It is not too dangerous around there but the housing won't cut it for anyone over 21 who is used to living relatively nicely. You're gonna want to find a place in northern liberties or center city, both of which are very young and bikeable. I live in center city now and bike to temple to see friends very often. The city is great for biking with lanes stretching all the way to temple. And it's only a 10 min ride. Check out the piazza at schmidts on google maps. Very young safe and close to temple, a good option. Hope this helps!

+1

I didn't go to Temple but I live in the area. Personally if I wind up at Temple I'm looking at the Dobson Mills apartments in East Falls (I'm not a biker but it's about a 10 minute drive from campus, the draw for me is that it's right near the river and I love running by the river), I've been in love with them for awhile now but currently can't afford to live there. Mt. Airy is also a pretty nice area with some nice apartments but definitely not very young but it's a good option if anyone is coming with a family. The Fairmount/Art Museum area is also really nice and close to campus but you would definitely want to visit it first, some parts are really nice, others not so much.

magp90

Postby magp90 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:15 pm

Hi all! I sent my application in on Dec. 1, and I got my status checker email a few days ago. No movement yet, but hopefully soon!

I went to college in the Philly suburbs and currently work/live in city, so feel free to ask and and all questions!

Best of luck

[EDIT: 12/6- Status complete!]
Last edited by magp90 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

jlphilly

Postby jlphilly » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:40 pm

Hey all, just checking in. Have been complete since 11/13.

Anyone else planning on going part time?

FinancialLaw

Postby FinancialLaw » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi all, I've been complete since 11/14, anxious to hear back.

In response to the question about campus, for what it's worth, I went to undergraduate school in Philly and have been working/living in center city for 2 years now. I really love the CC area, as there's a lot to do around here. Young crowd, great restaurants and bars, fun nightlife and residential on some streets.

Best of luck to everyone! Hope we hear some good news soon.

The_Dark_Knight

Postby The_Dark_Knight » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:31 pm

moneyball026 wrote:Are you all from Philly area considering local schools or from other areas as well? I received an email from them about 3 days after I sent my application, but I was a bit on the early side so maybe the timetable shifts a bit now that it's busy season.

I'm from Tennessee. Temple is a wild card for me. They sent me a waiver, and I thought, "What the heck!" I've never even been to Philadelphia, so I dunno. I hear it's nice. If they admit me and give a substantial scholarship, I'll go. Rutgers is the only other school in that region I applied to, though.

magp90

Postby magp90 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:44 pm

moneyball026 wrote:Are you all from Philly area considering local schools or from other areas as well? I received an email from them about 3 days after I sent my application, but I was a bit on the early side so maybe the timetable shifts a bit now that it's busy season.

I'm only really seriously considering Philadelphia schools because it's the market I want to work in. I might apply out of state here and there, but I'm not planning on accepting any of those offers unless there's some compelling reason.

Keasbey

Postby Keasbey » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:05 pm

magp90 wrote:

I'm only really seriously considering Philadelphia schools because it's the market I want to work in. I might apply out of state here and there, but I'm not planning on accepting any of those offers unless there's some compelling reason.

I'm from the Philly area and currently work in the Philadelphia law market (paralegal). The unique thing about the market is that you kind of have to go to school here to get a job. The furthest is probably Rutgers Newark. That being said, it's not impossible to get a job if you go to school somewhere else (I actually came across a Cooley grad) but alumni hire their own.

magp90

Postby magp90 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:53 am

Keasbey wrote:
magp90 wrote:

I'm from the Philly area and currently work in the Philadelphia law market (paralegal). The unique thing about the market is that you kind of have to go to school here to get a job. The furthest is probably Rutgers Newark. That being said, it's not impossible to get a job if you go to school somewhere else (I actually came across a Cooley grad) but alumni hire their own.

Shout-out from one Philly paralegal to another! But I agree, figuring out the job-market here is somewhat counter-intuitive compared to other areas. It's very regionally oriented, which is nice in some ways for sure.

Granfalloon12

Postby Granfalloon12 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:20 pm

I had an update and went "Complete" today (I thought I might have been before, too), first update since I submitted in early November I believe. Anyone else?

Chief Littlebighead

Postby Chief Littlebighead » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:42 pm

I updated to "complete" yesterday, 12-10, after having submitted on 11-15.

tony2167

Postby tony2167 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:40 pm

The_Dark_Knight wrote:I'm from Tennessee. Temple is a wild card for me. They sent me a waiver, and I thought, "What the heck!" I've never even been to Philadelphia, so I dunno. I hear it's nice. If they admit me and give a substantial scholarship, I'll go. Rutgers is the only other school in that region I applied to, though.

Same for me. I never even thought about Temple until they sent me a fee waiver, but the more I think about it, the more appealing the idea of breaking into the Philly market gets. My LSAT is above their 75th percentile, so if they throw some significant money my way it may be a no-brainer. I've already been accepted and told by University of Richmond (tied with Temple in the rankings) to expect a significant scholarship, hopefully I can leverage that.

Can anyone speak to the need for ties in Philly? I've read another topic about it in the employment forum, and it seemed the consensus was that going to a Philly school is good enough. Would employers care that I'd never been to Philly before attending Temple? If I end up at Temple I genuinely plan to start my career in the city.

csexton182

Postby csexton182 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:50 pm

It truly is a great place. You may experience some culture shock going form Tennessee to Philly, but it really is a great city to live in. I grew up there my whole life, and am hoping to go to Temple (as well as many other Philly schools) as well. Apparently, Temple Law grads have an advantage over most in terms of the legal market. However, I think Villanova, Drexel, and Rutgers Camden are pretty well in the hunt too. UPenn is an amazing school but most of those grads go to the DC or NYC area for the really high paying jobs. According to a lawyer I have talked to who is very high up in a firm in Philly said that most people hire associates who have attended the same school as them. He also said If you land a significant scholarship to a school, then take it because in if you attend a Philly school and plan to work in Philly, a law degree is a law degree unless you've graduated in the top 10% of your class. Obviously, I don't know how true this is, but hearing it from him definitely made me feel much better. Good luck to you!

csexton182

Postby csexton182 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:03 am

Just went "Complete" yesterday. I think I was complete before. I submitted my application 11/9.. So hopefully they're beginning to make decisions.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:27 pm

csexton182 wrote:Just went "Complete" yesterday. I think I was complete before. I submitted my application 11/9.. So hopefully they're beginning to make decisions.

I submitted 11/9 too and have been complete since 11/13.

csexton182

Postby csexton182 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:49 pm

Good luck to all you guys! Hopefully Temple will send us an early x-mas/hannukah/whatever you celebrate present

cooldude87

Postby cooldude87 » Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:59 am

Recently applied. I'm from a mid-sized (100,000) midwestern city. Only been to Philly once but I liked it and for some reason the idea of going to Temple has always been very appealing. In terms of ties would going to Temple be good enough? Also I see most people are saying City Centre is a good place to live. How far is this from the law school and what are the costs, what are other good places for law students to live?

Keasbey

Postby Keasbey » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:18 am

cooldude87 wrote:Recently applied. I'm from a mid-sized (100,000) midwestern city. Only been to Philly once but I liked it and for some reason the idea of going to Temple has always been very appealing. In terms of ties would going to Temple be good enough? Also I see most people are saying City Centre is a good place to live. How far is this from the law school and what are the costs, what are other good places for law students to live?

Center city is really nice, but will run you close to a grand a month in rent. Northern liberties/fishtown is nice and cheaper. It's the arts area. Manayunk and roxborough are good and about ten minutes away, that's almost suburban but still in city limits with lots of bars. Just be ready for ridiculous hills and parallel parking. South Philly is near the stadiums and is the notorious Italian section that is neighborhood-y, affordable, and ten minutes away from temple and center city. Philly is a small big city made of neighborhoods. It's easy to get around. Just don't live directly around temple, you'll get mugged.

banana$$stand

Postby banana$$stand » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:30 pm

Are we expecting the first batch of decisions to come out this week?
:D

jlphilly

Postby jlphilly » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:33 pm

banana$$stand wrote:Are we expecting the first batch of decisions to come out this week?
:D

Gah, I hope so. I've been refreshing my e-mail every 5 minutes.

banana$$stand

Postby banana$$stand » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:37 pm

Yeah, me too. The "complete" status has been there far too long. I checked last year's thread, and it seems we should be getting them really soon.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:11 pm

My Complete date changed from "11/13" to "12/17". :shock:

magp90

Postby magp90 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:14 pm

sanjola wrote:My Complete date changed from "11/13" to "12/17". :shock:

hahaha it's amazing how the slightest change gets us so excited. SO EXCRUCIATING.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:17 pm

magp90 wrote:

hahaha it's amazing how the slightest change gets us so excited. SO EXCRUCIATING.

:lol: Right? Then someone told me there are 3 date changes before a decision.

magp90

Postby magp90 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:21 pm

sanjola wrote:
magp90 wrote:

:lol: Right? Then someone told me there are 3 date changes before a decision.

Hahaha I feel like this is the part where someone says that we have to do a rain dance or something to make it work.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”