Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Lumieres

Bronze

Re: Temple University c/o 2016 Applicants

Post by Lumieres » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:59 pm

What types of events will they have?

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:26 am

Lumieres wrote:What types of events will they have?
The email invite says that there will be: "a discussion with the Dean, a sample law class, presentations by the faculty, and a variety of mini-workshops designed to acquaint you with some of Temple Law's exciting programs. The financial aid office staff will be available to meet with you on an individual basis."

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:31 pm

Thanks magp. You should officially be recognized as the spokesperson for the incoming Temple Law class :)

mikeam

New

Post by mikeam » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:44 pm

magp90 wrote:
Lumieres wrote:What types of events will they have?
The email invite says that there will be: "a discussion with the Dean, a sample law class, presentations by the faculty, and a variety of mini-workshops designed to acquaint you with some of Temple Law's exciting programs. The financial aid office staff will be available to meet with you on an individual basis."
Wish I could go. This sounds really helpful!

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:50 pm

Lumieres wrote:Thanks magp. You should officially be recognized as the spokesperson for the incoming Temple Law class :)
Hahahaha thanks, I'm just super excited and about to put down my seat deposits, so I'm all revved up!
mikeam wrote:Wish I could go. This sounds really helpful!
Yeah, it seems pretty comprehensive. I'm pretty curious to see how they're going to do a sample class? But I still think I'm going to aim to actually attend a real one during the week at some point. But if you have any questions about anything that happened on the 23rd, I'm sure a bunch of people here will have opinions to share.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mikeam

New

Post by mikeam » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:43 pm

magp90 wrote:
Lumieres wrote:Thanks magp. You should officially be recognized as the spokesperson for the incoming Temple Law class :)
Hahahaha thanks, I'm just super excited and about to put down my seat deposits, so I'm all revved up!
mikeam wrote:Wish I could go. This sounds really helpful!
Yeah, it seems pretty comprehensive. I'm pretty curious to see how they're going to do a sample class? But I still think I'm going to aim to actually attend a real one during the week at some point. But if you have any questions about anything that happened on the 23rd, I'm sure a bunch of people here will have opinions to share.
I think I will make it down to one of the campus tours/class sit in on April 1st but for those of you who go on the 23rd try to snap some pictures!

Greyhound42

New

Post by Greyhound42 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:55 am

I was offered $$ today via email, about a month after I received my acceptance in the mail and about a week after I sent an email asking them to reconsider me for merit aid.
... hope that gives some others hope after not receiving anything on the first try!

phlmar

New

Post by phlmar » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:32 pm

I really enjoyed the preview day. Everyone was really candid and realistic about the legal market & employment statistics and the professors seemed very approachable. Really enjoyed sitting in on a class too. I have a great feeling about Temple overall, now if they'd offer me a little $ I'd happily send in my deposit :)

tony2167

Bronze

Post by tony2167 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:38 am

Greyhound42 wrote:I was offered $$ today via email, about a month after I received my acceptance in the mail and about a week after I sent an email asking them to reconsider me for merit aid.
... hope that gives some others hope after not receiving anything on the first try!
Who'd you send your email to?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

banana$$stand

New

Post by banana$$stand » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:41 am

Has anyone successfully negotiated their scholarships twice?
Mine was upped, but I wanna try to squeeze out a little more greenery before I send in a deposit.

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:23 am

banana$$stand wrote:Has anyone successfully negotiated their scholarships twice?
Mine was upped, but I wanna try to squeeze out a little more greenery before I send in a deposit.
I didn't try because they told me in their letter that the Beasley was as high as they went.

Unless you have new (much better) offer from another school, you might not have much luck? As always, though, it doesn't hurt to try

Keasbey

New

Post by Keasbey » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:29 am

I got flat out rejected for scholarship and decided to send in my deposits than received a sizable offer from Rutgers Camden- think its worth trying again?

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:33 am

Keasbey wrote:I got flat out rejected for scholarship and decided to send in my deposits than received a sizable offer from Rutgers Camden- think its worth trying again?
Are you in-state for rutgers? And also, how long did it take to receive scholarship info after your acceptance?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Keasbey

New

Post by Keasbey » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:43 am

Lumieres wrote:
Keasbey wrote:I got flat out rejected for scholarship and decided to send in my deposits than received a sizable offer from Rutgers Camden- think its worth trying again?
Are you in-state for rutgers? And also, how long did it take to receive scholarship info after your acceptance?
Out of state for Rutgers, and I heard with my Rutgers acceptance email. For temple the scholarship info comes with the acceptance package.

banana$$stand

New

Post by banana$$stand » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:59 am

magp90 wrote:
banana$$stand wrote:Has anyone successfully negotiated their scholarships twice?
I didn't try because they told me in their letter that the Beasley was as high as they went.

Unless you have new (much better) offer from another school, you might not have much luck? As always, though, it doesn't hurt to try

Does section stacking happen at Temple? I'm thinking they might throw me in the scholly gauntlet if $ is increased.
/paranoid

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:18 pm

banana$$stand wrote:
magp90 wrote:

Does section stacking happen at Temple? I'm thinking they might throw me in the scholly gauntlet if $ is increased.
/paranoid
In the past I've tried to do some research about this at Temple specifically, but I couldn't find anything. The most I can see is that re: students who matriculated in the Fall of 2011, 99 students were given scholarships with stipulations and 23 lost theirs... which means that ~23% of students given merit scholarships were probably in the bottom 30% of their class after the first year...

So it's hard to say... There are other schools that are specifically targeted for section stacking, but Temple doesn't appear to be one of them. But there's just no way to prove it.

EDIT: I just wanted to note that I said that they were in the bottom 30% because that is the stipulation on my scholarship. Off the top of my head, I can't remember if others had different class rank requirements, so this is all just a rough estimation.

banana$$stand

New

Post by banana$$stand » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:47 pm

^^^
yeah, I saw those same numbers too. I don't think one can make any assumptions off them though...well, besides the fact that stiputlations suck in general.

Is there any history of getting the stips removed?

--too lazy to browse previous Temple threads

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:58 pm

banana$$stand wrote:^^^
yeah, I saw those same numbers too. I don't think one can make any assumptions off them though...well, besides the fact that stiputlations suck in general.

Is there any history of getting the stips removed?

--too lazy to browse previous Temple threads
I found this from a few weeks ago:
kaf5250 wrote:I already had some luck negotiating this cycle. I got my stipulation for my scholarship at Temple lowered from top 50% to top 75%, got my offer from William and Mary upped by a few thousand a year, and am currently speaking with both BU and Fordham. My logic was to ask early to everyone and then wait until way later in the cycle to either ask for reconsideration if they say no or ask for even more if they up it once. I want to give myself adequate time to negotiate as many times as I can with each school until they say no before seat deposits are due. I will keep everyone posted on my success/failure
Maybe you could negotiate down to top 75%, but I can't find anything to remove stips completely. A lot of people argue (including myself) that if you're in the bottom 25%-30% anyways, it could be worth reconsidering law school generally given the employment situation. But I definitely understand the concern.

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:35 pm

Are two complete dates always a good sign?

If not, does anyone know what it really means? For example, second set of eyes to review the application?

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:14 pm

I just received an email from Drexel that essentially removes the stips from their full-ride. Villanova gave me the same deal, and while I am not expecting a full-ride from Temple (especially since I already leveraged my previous offers to get just over 50% in-state tuition)... do you think that there is ANY chance of negotiating away the stip?

I do believe that if I were in the bottom third of my class, I would drop out, so it's not really about finding a way to be lazy in school... I'm just trying to figure out if I would be stupidly passing up a better deal with Temple or not.

WisemanAEKDB

Bronze

Post by WisemanAEKDB » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:19 pm

magp90 wrote:I just received an email from Drexel that essentially removes the stips from their full-ride. Villanova gave me the same deal, and while I am not expecting a full-ride from Temple (especially since I already leveraged my previous offers to get just over 50% in-state tuition)... do you think that there is ANY chance of negotiating away the stip?

I do believe that if I were in the bottom third of my class, I would drop out, so it's not really about finding a way to be lazy in school... I'm just trying to figure out if I would be stupidly passing up a better deal with Temple or not.
You should really just go to Temple, man. You're making an investment that will last you the rest of your life. Should be a no brainer, in my opinion.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

magp90

Bronze

Post by magp90 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:21 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:
magp90 wrote:I just received an email from Drexel that essentially removes the stips from their full-ride. Villanova gave me the same deal, and while I am not expecting a full-ride from Temple (especially since I already leveraged my previous offers to get just over 50% in-state tuition)... do you think that there is ANY chance of negotiating away the stip?

You should really just go to Temple, man. You're making an investment that will last you the rest of your life. Should be a no brainer, in my opinion.
Hahaha ohhhhh don't get me wrong, I'm going to Temple. I"m just casually trying to figure out if I should try to get a no-stip offer from them or if I should just take what I have and run.

claudenm

New

Post by claudenm » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:40 am

banana$$stand wrote:
magp90 wrote:

/paranoid

I had a Beasley when I enrolled in 2009 (class of 2012). Sections seemed pretty evenly balanced to me.

banana$$stand

New

Post by banana$$stand » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:02 pm

Good to know that Temple doesn't section stack.
Gracias Claudenm

Lumieres

Bronze

Post by Lumieres » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:46 pm

Any TLSers still waiting on a decision?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”