University of Alabama c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
harge008

New

Re: University of Alabama c/o 2016

Post by harge008 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:48 pm

I'll be at the open house on Friday. My wife is coming with me to the dinner Thursday. We're locals so if any of you have any questions about Tuscaloosa or need help getting around PM me and I'll give you my contact info.

Prayerful1

New

Post by Prayerful1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:53 am

Lol @ that YouTube video!! I'm so feeling it though!

ALgooner

Bronze

Post by ALgooner » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:57 pm

cynthia rose wrote:Well I guess I should say hello! I went complete on 12/10 and was accepted on 1/18 by phone call. (Well actually I was accepted a few days earlier than that but missed the call and returned it on the 18th). Got my shirt this weekend, which is too small :roll: but whatever. I'm still waiting on G'town but let's face it, I'm a 167/2.4. It's a miracle that they bothered to regular WL me last year (and with such a late app) and even if they did accept me I don't think there is any scenario where I could justify the cost compared to Bama in-state. So I probably won't bother with the LOCI for them.

I went to ASD on 2/1 and I have to say UA's staff are one hell of a sales team. I went in feeling ambivalent b/c I'm not too keen to be stuck in AL for the rest of my life, but they reminded me of why I enjoyed undergrad there so much.
ALgooner wrote:Hey guys, if any of you have questions about living in Tuscaloosa, let me know! I went to undergrad at UA and have lived in T-town all my life.
It's been several years since I've lived in T-town myself and now I'm kind of overwhelmed by the prospect of having to relearn it, esp. the campus and surrounding areas. My sister was looking at an apartment in the Pink House downtown a while ago and though she didn't take it, I fell in love with it. I'm preemptively sad because there probably won't be anything available there when I am ready to move. I really, really loved the old-house charm to it. Do you know of anything else that is kind of similar to that? I really don't think I'm going to be interested in the typical apartment.
Sorry, I must have missed this. I get what you mean about having to re-learn everything, UA has been building/remodeling like crazy these last few years. I really love UA's campus. It's enormous and just beautiful (the law school is a little less impressive).

I actually have never heard of the Pink House..so I may not be able to help where that's concerned. But from what you are describing I would look for a house to rent around Queen City Avenue. Or back in some of the tucked away neighborhoods off of University, like Caplewood Drive. Lots of really pretty old houses. I have some friends who lived back there, and with roommates rent wasn't that bad.

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:22 am

When is the first seat deposit deadline?

cynthia rose

Bronze

Post by cynthia rose » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:10 am

First seat deposit is April 1.
ALgooner wrote:
cynthia rose wrote:Well I guess I should say hello! I went complete on 12/10 and was accepted on 1/18 by phone call. (Well actually I was accepted a few days earlier than that but missed the call and returned it on the 18th). Got my shirt this weekend, which is too small :roll: but whatever. I'm still waiting on G'town but let's face it, I'm a 167/2.4. It's a miracle that they bothered to regular WL me last year (and with such a late app) and even if they did accept me I don't think there is any scenario where I could justify the cost compared to Bama in-state. So I probably won't bother with the LOCI for them.

I went to ASD on 2/1 and I have to say UA's staff are one hell of a sales team. I went in feeling ambivalent b/c I'm not too keen to be stuck in AL for the rest of my life, but they reminded me of why I enjoyed undergrad there so much.
ALgooner wrote:Hey guys, if any of you have questions about living in Tuscaloosa, let me know! I went to undergrad at UA and have lived in T-town all my life.
It's been several years since I've lived in T-town myself and now I'm kind of overwhelmed by the prospect of having to relearn it, esp. the campus and surrounding areas. My sister was looking at an apartment in the Pink House downtown a while ago and though she didn't take it, I fell in love with it. I'm preemptively sad because there probably won't be anything available there when I am ready to move. I really, really loved the old-house charm to it. Do you know of anything else that is kind of similar to that? I really don't think I'm going to be interested in the typical apartment.
Sorry, I must have missed this. I get what you mean about having to re-learn everything, UA has been building/remodeling like crazy these last few years. I really love UA's campus. It's enormous and just beautiful (the law school is a little less impressive).

I actually have never heard of the Pink House..so I may not be able to help where that's concerned. But from what you are describing I would look for a house to rent around Queen City Avenue. Or back in some of the tucked away neighborhoods off of University, like Caplewood Drive. Lots of really pretty old houses. I have some friends who lived back there, and with roommates rent wasn't that bad.
The Pink House is just a block off Queen City (on 9th St.); it's a two story Victorian that was converted into four separate apartments, so it has the charm of an old house without having to take on the whole size of it (or the big rental price). It's a pretty picky thing to look for but I guess I'll just have to pick a day to walk around looking for any 'for rent' signs. There are some inexpensive one-bedroom houses but I have a feeling those get snapped up pretty quickly.

I don't believe I can stomach even one more roommate. I've had 27 of them. I think that's enough for one lifetime.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

zackw618

New

Post by zackw618 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:32 pm

Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to gain residency status?

harge008

New

Post by harge008 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:49 pm

zackw618 wrote:Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to gain residency status?
My understanding is that residency is fairly easy to establish. I would suggest moving in a few weeks before orientation. Give yourself an opportunity to get a new driver's license and whatever else you need before classes begin.

TEXAS91

New

Post by TEXAS91 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:51 pm

harge008 wrote:
zackw618 wrote:Does anyone know how easy/difficult it is to gain residency status?
My understanding is that residency is fairly easy to establish. I would suggest moving in a few weeks before orientation. Give yourself an opportunity to get a new driver's license and whatever else you need before classes begin.
I got the impression this weekend at ASD that it isn't easy to obtain. They told me a lot of people don't get it.

sabanist

Silver

Post by sabanist » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:56 pm

Didn't feel like rephrasing it, so here's some residency info I found from earlier in the thread:
sabanist wrote:
lookingin wrote:Ahhh. I feel like I've been under review for weeks now. I went complete around 11/2.

Out of curiosity, do any of you know how easy/difficult it is to get in-state residency in Alabama? The in-state tuition really isn't bad -- comparatively speaking.
It's actually really difficult to get in-state.

http://registrar.ua.edu/policies/reside ... y-tuition/
A "resident student" is one who, at the time of admission to the university:

-Is not a "minor" and is a resident of the state of Alabama and has been a resident of the state for at least one year immediately preceding the date of registration; or

-Is a "minor" and whose "supporting person(s)" is a resident of the state of Alabama and has been a resident of the state for at least one year immediately preceding the date of registration; or

One who, at the time of registration, is not a "minor" and:

-Is a full-time employee (not temporary) of the University of Alabama or is the spouse of such an employee;
-Is able to verify full-time permanent employment within the state of Alabama and shall commence said employment not more than ninety (90) days after registration (first day of classes) with the institution, or is the spouse of such an employee;
-Is a member or the spouse of a member of the United States military on full-time active duty stationed in Alabama under orders for duties other than attending school; (Members of the National Guard or Reserves are not included in this provision)
-Is a resident of any county within fifty (50) miles of the University of Alabama and has been a resident of that county for at least one year immediately preceding the date of registration. "Resident" shall have the same meaning, as to the relevant county, which it has as to the State of Alabama in the definitions section of this policy statement (Lowndes and Noxubee counties in Mississippi are eligible);
-Has been a member of the Alabama National Guard for a period of at least two years immediately preceding the student qualifying for resident tuition and continues to be a member of the Alabama National Guard while enrolled at the public institution of higher education;

(removed stuff for minors since it's irrelevant)

A non-resident student is one who does not meet the criteria for a "resident student" as specified in the preceding section.

Though certification of an address and intent to remain in the state indefinitely are prerequisites to establishing status as a resident, ultimate determination of that status shall be made by the university by its evaluation of the presence or absence of connections with the state of Alabama.
Basically, even if you live in the state for a year before enrolling, your spouse gets a job at UA, etc., they can still deny you.
:/

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

kay2016

Silver

Post by kay2016 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:18 pm

Okay,

So basically everything I read before going to the open house indicated to me that it was impossible to get..

But then I went and talked to students who had gotten it.

Apparently, when applying you get the chance to write a statement and plead your case as to why you should be in state.. Applying for the Alabama Bar also helps this..

cortland55

New

Post by cortland55 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:33 pm

My application went complete 1/11...went in to review 1/22 and then date changed again to 2/18....still in review though? is this bad news for me?

zackw618

New

Post by zackw618 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:36 pm

kayleighcheyenne wrote:Okay,

So basically everything I read before going to the open house indicated to me that it was impossible to get..

But then I went and talked to students who had gotten it.

Apparently, when applying you get the chance to write a statement and plead your case as to why you should be in state.. Applying for the Alabama Bar also helps this..
I felt the same way. I thought it was a done deal that I couldn't get it, but some students said they were able to become classified as in-state for their 2L year.

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:27 am

Here is a link to the webpage describing UA's reclassification policy:

http://registrar.ua.edu/policies/reside ... y-tuition/

Hope this helps

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kjb

New

Post by kjb » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:57 pm

under review since 2/5

cortland55

New

Post by cortland55 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:34 pm

They're taking a long time, and I'm not sure if its good or bad. Went under review 1/22 then again 2/18....any one else have this happen to them? Also, did they deny or waitlist anyone yet?

New

Post by 1984 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:41 pm

cortland55 wrote:They're taking a long time, and I'm not sure if its good or bad. Went under review 1/22 then again 2/18....any one else have this happen to them? Also, did they deny or waitlist anyone yet?
No one on LSN has reported a WL or rejection.

UMich11

Bronze

Post by UMich11 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:44 pm

1984 wrote:
cortland55 wrote:They're taking a long time, and I'm not sure if its good or bad. Went under review 1/22 then again 2/18....any one else have this happen to them? Also, did they deny or waitlist anyone yet?
No one on LSN has reported a WL or rejection.
I see the PFCD as a defacto WL

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

deuceindc

Bronze

Post by deuceindc » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:21 pm

I had similar dates and just got my acceptance phone call today.

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:50 am

Rejections will start coming out in April most likely, continue till June along with a few more acceptances, and then a waitlist will come out in June-ish. (I think that's right.)

http://www.mylsn.info/whenwilliknow.php

Ramble On

New

Post by Ramble On » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:22 pm

Yeah, I've been UR since 1/4. I like to think they look at my file everyday and then say, "nah, maybe tomorrow" lol

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:55 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:37 pm

New rankings have been leaked. Bama is now ranked #21. This is truly a wonderful accomplishment for them. They set out to become a nationally recognized school and it looks like that is happening. I imagine people are going to be flocking in droves. I would attribute it purely to their T-14 level employment numbers.

I don't know what this is going to mean for applicants like me, but I imagine its not good. Personally, I think they are alittle out of my league now. I bet they raise the LSAT median this year to 167.

I think I am officially giving up on this one though. Good luck to those still waiting and those who are attending!

ROLL TIDE! :D

zackw618

New

Post by zackw618 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:56 pm

The Dean of the law school called me this afternoon to thank me for visiting on ASD, and mentioned that new rankings would be released tonight or in the morning. I figured based on that call, Alabama was going to see a huge jump.

turn left

New

Post by turn left » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:35 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:New rankings have been leaked. Bama is now ranked #21. This is truly a wonderful accomplishment for them. They set out to become a nationally recognized school and it looks like that is happening. I imagine people are going to be flocking in droves. I would attribute it purely to their T-14 level employment numbers.

I don't know what this is going to mean for applicants like me, but I imagine its not good. Personally, I think they are alittle out of my league now. I bet they raise the LSAT median this year to 167.

I think I am officially giving up on this one though. Good luck to those still waiting and those who are attending!

ROLL TIDE! :D
Let's not get carried away here...

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:52 pm

The medians will NOT be 167... 167s are getting 120k to go to USC. I would venture to guess maintaining a 165 would be unlikely. This drop isn't just at Alabama, it's every school outside of HYS

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”