Pepperdine c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bchsdebater

New

Re: Pepperdine c/o 2016

Post by bchsdebater » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:19 pm

My application has been in review since 2/1/13. I feel like they must just not know what to do with me lol.

SAlpha

New

Post by SAlpha » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:56 pm

bchsdebater wrote:My application has been in review since 2/1/13. I feel like they must just not know what to do with me lol.

I've been in review since 1/10. May withdraw if I don't hear by 10-12 week. They even give you the 8 week estimate. Pepperdine is the only school I've encountered who has gone over their decision estimation.

150s_or_bust

New

Post by 150s_or_bust » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:06 pm

At least you guys are in REVIEW. I've been on COMPLETE since 2/15 :cry:

cnk

Bronze

Post by cnk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:13 pm

SAlpha wrote:
bchsdebater wrote:My application has been in review since 2/1/13. I feel like they must just not know what to do with me lol.

I've been in review since 1/10. May withdraw if I don't hear by 10-12 week. They even give you the 8 week estimate. Pepperdine is the only school I've encountered who has gone over their decision estimation.
Same, w/drawing as well...

nilzzz90

New

Post by nilzzz90 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:40 pm

cnk wrote:
SAlpha wrote:

Pepperdine is being absolutely ridiculous! I have also been under review since 1/10 :X

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bchsdebater

New

Post by bchsdebater » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:06 pm

nilzzz90 wrote:
cnk wrote:
SAlpha wrote:

Pepperdine is being absolutely ridiculous! I have also been under review since 1/10 :X

What I'm gathering from this forum is they don't waitlist, so I'm assuming they just accept based on who accepts their offers and leave people hanging if they don't want to reject them.

New

Post by 20130414 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:35 pm

Yeah, I've been in review since 1/10, sent a letter reiterating my strong desire to attend, and have heard nothing back via email. Hoping to hear back soon, but I don't know what to think anymore... tomorrow will have been 10 weeks.

billiris321

New

Post by billiris321 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:57 pm

I sent them an email saying I had been accepted to several law schools (made sure to mention the higher ranked ones with $$$)and that Pepperdine was still 'my top choice'. They responded with an email telling me that a decision was 'imminent' on the next day.

My status changed on that same day to 'decision rendered' and I received a letter shortly after with acceptance and $$$.

Try that dudes.

sanjola

Bronze

Post by sanjola » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:30 am

Decision Rendered, 3/20! Now to play the waiting game...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

calicali

New

Post by calicali » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:19 pm

decision rendered, i had been in review since 1/10... FINALLy pep. jeez.

martymoose

New

Post by martymoose » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:47 pm

Good luck to those freshly DR'd.

cnk

Bronze

Post by cnk » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:55 pm

DR'ed as well today 3/21...

lawgirl_16

New

Post by lawgirl_16 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:34 pm

so what does it mean if it says decision rendered... bc it seems from other posts that those who got admitted found out from the status checker...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cnk

Bronze

Post by cnk » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:37 pm

lawgirl_16 wrote:so what does it mean if it says decision rendered... bc it seems from other posts that those who got admitted found out from the status checker...
Yeah this makes me nervous, I'm hoping for a WL

lawgirl_16

New

Post by lawgirl_16 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:50 pm

cnk wrote:
lawgirl_16 wrote:so what does it mean if it says decision rendered... bc it seems from other posts that those who got admitted found out from the status checker...
Altho the poster billiris said that he or she got a dr and then the acceptance so who knows???

martymoose

New

Post by martymoose » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:02 pm

I think mine said "Decision Rendered" first and then either later that day or the next day (I wish I could remember exactly), it said "Admitted."

billiris321

New

Post by billiris321 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:06 am

lawgirl_16 wrote:
cnk wrote:
Altho the poster billiris said that he or she got a dr and then the acceptance so who knows???

The next time I checked the status, maybe a few days after 'Decision Rendered' it said "Admitted'. But that was after I received the letter in the mail. Maybe it does change after a day? Since I didn't check, I cannot say for sure. I'm a he by the way.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:10 am

Good luck to everyone. Still answering questions if anyone has any.

Razorbackfan19247

New

Post by Razorbackfan19247 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Gatriel wrote:Good luck to everyone. Still answering questions if anyone has any.
What advice would you give to a 1L starting at Pepperdine this fall?

Mr. Jones

New

Post by Mr. Jones » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:34 pm

Razorbackfan19247 wrote:
Gatriel wrote:Good luck to everyone. Still answering questions if anyone has any.
I'll give an answer to this in addition to Gatriel's. Please note that Gatriel and I had different course structures than your 1L year. My advice would be to do practice tests before exams. Do all of your professor's available practice tests. If you get practice MC questions, write out the answers to them as if they were essays. Make your own outlines, but use others' outlines to cross check. Try briefing cases, at least for the first semester.

If you get the opportunity, RA w/ a professor, you never know when you need a letter of recommendation, and it will help when it comes time to the moral character application.

Most importantly, enjoy yourself. 1L year is fairly stressful, most because of LRW, but don't let it get in the way of things you like to do. Malibu is not a bad location to hang out, there are lots of outdoor activities to do, I suggest doing them.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:33 am

Razorbackfan19247 wrote:
First and foremost -- don't take yourself and the process too seriously. Law school is more about changing the way you think as opposed to teaching you anything really useful. I'm writing this to you from a Tier 1 law firm -- I don't think I've used anything here from any of my classes -- save LRW.

Speaking of LRW -- This class is worth only 2 credits -- it will take up more of your time, both 1L semesters, than your other classes combined. Take this class and its' assignments super seriously. It is probably the only practical class you will take in the 3 years of law school. As far as LRW goes, take some things with a grain of salt. My 1L year (now 3 years ago) LRW insisted we learn how to use the books to look stuff up, and I think one of our writing assignments first semester required us to use the books as opposed to Lexis/WL. If they are still doing this it is important to realize that anything dealing with print is a MASSIVE waste of time. Every year in every class -- someone will have the courage to raise their hand and ask the LRW teacher or librarian "Why do we need to spend 3 weeks learning how to do this when everything is computerized now?" To which they shall reply "Not all law firms have unlimited access to these sources so you need to learn how to use the books." This is total crap as a flat rate Lexis Subscription is just over $1k per month, and 2, these small law firms don't have a fully staffed library with 60,000 volumes, nor will they have you waste hours of your time to go find something at a local law school when a pay as you go plan from WL or Lexis costs ~ $18 per document -- and then this gets transferred to the client. The other "justification" I heard from a librarian is "What if you need to do legal research without electricity?" Sadly she was serious. So my recommendation to you re; LRW -- When it comes to the library scavenger hunts (which are ungraded) skip those 3 weeks and go out for drinks at Dukes instead.

However, everything else in LRW is of paramount importance. Seriously go every time, put Gchat and Facebook (and TLS) away and pay attention. Your ability to write well in a law firm is the only thing that differentiates you from your competition.

The next piece of advice I'd give you is UNDER ABSOLUTELY NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD YOU LIVE ON CAMPUS. Yes, it is super convenient. However, it is a dumb, and it is outrageously overpriced. Moreover, you are bound to the EXACT SAME RULES that a 17 year old freshman is held to. They enforce them -- trust me. Besides, even if on campus housing looked like the 4 Seasons and was reasonably priced -- I encourage you to live off campus. As the semester progresses people will spend more and more and more time in the library, Cafe, and their dorm. You'll go weeks without leaving campus. Live in Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, or Calabasas. Even if you hate driving, during your 1L year your drive into school will become the highlight of your day, as its the only time you aren't having to think about law school and can just jam out, listen to music, drink a coffee, and relax.

Don't judge people based upon how they act during their first year of law school. 1L is extremely stressful, and it generally brings out the abject worst in people. Wait a year to pass judgment on someone if they are a douche bag/socially awkward/loud/shy, etc., etc., You yourself will see changes in your personality your first year, realize its temporary and it will subside.

Ignore the CDO completely. My 1L experience they tried their best to fit everyone into this little mold of your first summer you have to work for a judge and your second summer you should work at a law firm. If you want a crap job/a really hard time finding a job coming out -- definitely do this. If you want something fulfilling, and/or something you enjoy you need to really reflect on what you enjoy doing -- and find out how the law/attorneys work into that.

Join local legal associations. I recommend the Beverly Hills Bar Association. They have mixers every month -- and its a great way to meet a ton of attorneys in a variety of different fields when they are slightly buzzed/intoxicated. Drunk attorneys like to hand out internships like Halloween Candy. Its how I got my first one.

Don't fall for the flame of "Join a legal fraternity." Seriously, they are a complete waste of time and money save for their outline libraries, but even then just wait for some other sucker to pay the fee ask them to give you the password or just buy them off with alcohol to give you the outlines. This reminds me of something else -- print out your class and professor specific outlines the FIRST WEEK OF SCHOOl, and supplement these outlines with what is discussed in class. Then, every Saturday read over the outlines, all of them. Its a lot of reading, but when it becomes finals crunch time you have a much better grasp on the material, because you've been looking at it all in aggregate since the first week of school, than 99% of the rest of your classmates.

You'll see people in class typing War & Peace and/or Moby Dick into their computers every day during lecture. Don't let these people intimidate you. Take only relevant notes. I always limited myself to 1 page per class per day. Why? Its easier to integrate into your outlines -- and you don't have to spend copious amounts of time sorting it all out after class. Plus, it helps you not look like a huge doucher.

Parking is a nightmare at Pepperdine. Get there early, or expect to get towed/booted/lots of expensive parking tickets.

Eat healthy. Seriously the food at the Caf at Pepperdine is normally really health stuff (grilled chicken or turkey burgers, salad bars, etc., etc.,) and tastes really good. Work out. Pepperdine has a gym for you that is completely free. It is a dump, but, it gets the job done, and nothing is more relaxing than a good workout after a long day at school.

Realize its a forced curve. This isn't like undergrad where its you v the syllabus. Its you vs everyone else. I also realize that everyone comes into law school thinking "oh year, I'll totz be like top 2%" but this just sets yourself up for disappointment. Set a realistic goal -- so if you have top 1/3rd contingent scholarship set your goal to be top 1/3rd, and if you go higher -- awesome -- if not then no big deal. If you get your grades back at Semester and they aren't what you expected .. ask yourself "Did I really do the best that I could have?" If the answer is yes, do it again and realize the grades you received will liekly be the grades you receive all 3 years. Doubling down won't necessarily bring a bottom 10%er into the top 20%, you might move up a slot or two -- but is the additional 20 hours a week worth it? Likely not.

If you think you didn't excel to your full potential -- then work harder the next semester.

Anyways that's all I can think of, looks like we have something else rolling in as Outlook is blowing up. Good luck and keep the questions coming.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nilzzz90

New

Post by nilzzz90 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:33 pm

I have been under review since 1/10 but then I just checked and it still says under review but the date has changed to 3/26! Anyone know what might be going on??

New

Post by 20130414 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:06 pm

nilzzz90 wrote:I have been under review since 1/10 but then I just checked and it still says under review but the date has changed to 3/26! Anyone know what might be going on??
Same thing happened to me! I pray this means good news!

nilzzz90

New

Post by nilzzz90 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:11 pm

dmgoor01 wrote:
nilzzz90 wrote:I have been under review since 1/10 but then I just checked and it still says under review but the date has changed to 3/26! Anyone know what might be going on??
Same thing happened to me! I pray this means good news!
*fingers crossed :)

Razorbackfan19247

New

Post by Razorbackfan19247 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:29 pm

Thanks for your quick response Gatriel. What are your thoughts on commercial outlines and study groups?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”