Pepperdine c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lawgirl_16

Re: Pepperdine c/o 2016

Postby lawgirl_16 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:03 pm

In review since 1/10. And this was the week we are technically supposed to hear back..meh :/

sfare1

Postby sfare1 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:34 pm

HELPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Status checker just changed to "Decision Rendered"- considering how a few have posted that they got in via status checker, is it safe to assume that mine is a rejection?:( Hence, "decision Rendered"?

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:57 pm

sfare1 wrote:HELPPPPPPPPPPPP!

Status checker just changed to "Decision Rendered"- considering how a few have posted that they got in via status checker, is it safe to assume that mine is a rejection?:( Hence, "decision Rendered"?

Pepperdine doesn't update an acceptance on status checker right after sending the Decision rendered. I wasn't notified of my acceptance through email until a couple days after they rendered my decision. The packet then arrived a few days after. What are your numbers? That may help people determine your outcome.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:07 pm

I am reluctant to give you any info that might be discouraging or could potentially lead you to a false assumption you've been denied. However, I did check my status checker multiple times a day and it went promptly from "in review" to "decision rendered" with a specific line saying that I had been accepted.

To be sure, I have no idea what "decision rendered" in the absence of any other info means. It could be that you've been waitlisted. It could also mean you've been accepted or denied, but if it is an acceptance I'm surprised that the status updates are not more consistent from person to person. This, in some ways, is the disadvantage of info sharing on boards like this; it alleviates a degree of curiosity but intensifies the suspense.

Good Luck!

sfare1

Postby sfare1 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:20 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:

I am reluctant to give you any info that might be discouraging or could potentially lead you to a false assumption you've been denied. However, I did check my status checker multiple times a day and it went promptly from "in review" to "decision rendered" with a specific line saying that I had been accepted.

To be sure, I have no idea what "decision rendered" in the absence of any other info means. It could be that you've been waitlisted. It could also mean you've been accepted or denied, but if it is an acceptance I'm surprised that the status updates are not more consistent from person to person. This, in some ways, is the disadvantage of info sharing on boards like this; it alleviates a degree of curiosity but intensifies the suspense.

Good Luck!

Thanks.... Ima keep my fingers crossed and check my mail like on a an hourly basis lol

coffeecat

Postby coffeecat » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:27 pm

Based on what I read for previous years, DR doesn't seem to predict a decision one way or another.
Mine must have gone from In Review to Admitted within a few hours, because I never saw Decision Rendered (and I checked it obsessively....). I didn't get an email specifically about the decision, but the packet came in the mail about 4 days later.

Good luck to everyone waiting! I'm thinking some of you might be my future classmates. :)

martymoose

Postby martymoose » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:48 pm

If you scroll through this thread (not the whole thing, acceptances began after the new year) everyone (those who indicate a process) who has been accepted first found out on the status checker. Mine was the same way. I checked status, it said "Admitted," and a few days later I got the packet. Of course past results are no guarantee of future performance, your mileage may vary, yadda yadda yadda (I think that's the correct legal phrasing). Good luck!

sfare1

Postby sfare1 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:50 pm

martymoose wrote:

If you scroll through this thread (not the whole thing, acceptances began after the new year) everyone (those who indicate a process) who has been accepted first found out on the status checker. Mine was the same way. I checked status, it said "Admitted," and a few days later I got the packet. Of course past results are no guarantee of future performance, your mileage may vary, yadda yadda yadda (I think that's the correct legal phrasing). Good luck!

Agreed! I just took a couple shots and am ready to face the rejection letter with a smiley face hehe

DML13

Postby DML13 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:38 am

Decision rendered 3/8 - no indication on my status checker whether admitted/denied.
Been in review since 1/10
Denied for Faculty Scholar Award a few weeks ago.

Any guesses whether I am admitted or not? Would status checker say admitted or an e-mail be sent?
I can't imagine a rejection but it seems like they really took their time.

Thanks

kdog1147

Postby kdog1147 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:15 am

Accepted back in Jan with a 20Kyr scholarship
LSAT 166
GPA: 3.19

Pepperdine is one of my top choices and my most likely choice. I had a chance to visit the campus and take a tour and I have to say I loved what I saw. At first I had some misgivings about attending a Christian University (no problem with Christianity but as an agnostic from the south I have learned to be careful sometimes) however after doing some research into the school I found my initial worries are likely unfounded.

I was wondering what people's plans are for housing. I'm thinking of living on campus for my first year which will save me gas and having to find parking however I am worried about roommates and on campus housing rules. I rent a house now and I love the freedom to do what I like in my home.

Also anyone know how they are with negotiating scholarships? I'm waiting to hear on scholarship info from UC Davis and University of Florida before I start

coffeecat

Postby coffeecat » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:06 pm

I will likely be attending as well... For anyone interested, here are the ideal arrangements I'm shooting for:

1 roommate to share a 2 bd/2 bath with parking (willing to pitch in a little more for use of a parking space)
Malibu, pacific palisades, or Santa Monica (near PCH, don't want to drive over the canyon roads...)
I have 2 friendly, non-destructive, indoor-only cats. I'm allergic (Lol) so I try to be conscientious about furballs floating around :p

I am fairly local, so if you are out of the area I may be able to help find a place. I also have some nice living room furnishings to contribute if you don't plan to bring much.

Me: I'm a 27 year old female, southern CA native who grew up about 40 minutes away. I have a significant other who will sometimes visit on weekends (I will be gone sometimes too.) I'm not religious but very respectful of people's lifestyles and beliefs. I like to cook, have friends over, enjoy the nightlife, and do outdoor activities.

Ok I feel like I just wrote a personal ad... Haha. Anyway, get in touch if you're interested, it would be cool to meet up during the admitted students day if you'll be there. :)

Needajob1

Postby Needajob1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:20 pm

kdog1147 wrote:Accepted back in Jan with a 20Kyr scholarship
LSAT 166
GPA: 3.19

Pepperdine is one of my top choices and my most likely choice. I had a chance to visit the campus and take a tour and I have to say I loved what I saw. At first I had some misgivings about attending a Christian University (no problem with Christianity but as an agnostic from the south I have learned to be careful sometimes) however after doing some research into the school I found my initial worries are likely unfounded.

I was wondering what people's plans are for housing. I'm thinking of living on campus for my first year which will save me gas and having to find parking however I am worried about roommates and on campus housing rules. I rent a house now and I love the freedom to do what I like in my home.

Also anyone know how they are with negotiating scholarships? I'm waiting to hear on scholarship info from UC Davis and University of Florida before I start

There is a Pepperdine 3l taking questions thread that talks about housing. He advised against on campus. Check it out. I'm waiting to hear if I'm in. It's between Pepp & San Diego. If I go with Pepp, I'll be looking also. Good Luck!

martymoose

Postby martymoose » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:49 pm

FYI, I started a Pepperdine thread in the Class of 2016 forums. :!:

Needajob1

Postby Needajob1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:59 pm

martymoose wrote:FYI, I started a Pepperdine thread in the Class of 2016 forums. :!:

How is that thread different than this one?

Needajob1

Postby Needajob1 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:01 pm

DML13 wrote:Decision rendered 3/8 - no indication on my status checker whether admitted/denied.
Been in review since 1/10
Denied for Faculty Scholar Award a few weeks ago.

Any guesses whether I am admitted or not? Would status checker say admitted or an e-mail be sent?
I can't imagine a rejection but it seems like they really took their time.

Thanks

I would guess admitted! Good luck

coffeecat

Postby coffeecat » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:15 pm

Needajob1 wrote:
martymoose wrote:FYI, I started a Pepperdine thread in the Class of 2016 forums. :!:

How is that thread different than this one?

This is the applicant forum whereas that is more like an attending students forum.

maxiguess

Postby maxiguess » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:00 am

God, Pepperdine dropped 12 spots.

JP16

Postby JP16 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:55 am

maxiguess wrote:God, Pepperdine dropped 12 spots.

Yeah.....major blow. Loyola took an even bigger one though. Hoping this will allow for some scholarship negotiation.

Hyee

Postby Hyee » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:40 am

All Cali schools did, so it's not as bad as it sounds. Essentially the numbers now better reflect our dirt economy and the fact that we pump out way too many lawyers. May help with money, doubt too much.

martymoose

Postby martymoose » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:54 pm

Hyee wrote:All Cali schools did, so it's not as bad as it sounds. Essentially the numbers now better reflect our dirt economy and the fact that we pump out way too many lawyers. May help with money, doubt too much.

This is just a small sample of why the rankings are stupid. What does the larger economy have to do with the quality of the school? (hint: nothing) It's not as if the school suddenly became a much lower quality institution, nor did other schools suddenly become way better.

I'm going to Pepperdine because it's the best school for me in my situation, not because of where it's ranked. If Yale gave me a full ride, I wouldn't go. I'm not moving to freaking Connecticut! I'm not trying to get a job with some 1000 attorney firm. I want to live in Ventura county and practice law.

I seriously hope that most people are making their decisions about law school on a host of factors specific to them and not stressing over where US News ranked their school.

And if it really bothers you, just remember the ranking is going to change three more times before you graduate.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:09 pm

martymoose wrote:
Hyee wrote:All Cali schools did, so it's not as bad as it sounds. Essentially the numbers now better reflect our dirt economy and the fact that we pump out way too many lawyers. May help with money, doubt too much.

This is just a small sample of why the rankings are stupid. What does the larger economy have to do with the quality of the school? (hint: nothing) It's not as if the school suddenly became a much lower quality institution, nor did other schools suddenly become way better.

I'm going to Pepperdine because it's the best school for me in my situation, not because of where it's ranked. If Yale gave me a full ride, I wouldn't go. I'm not moving to freaking Connecticut! I'm not trying to get a job with some 1000 attorney firm. I want to live in Ventura county and practice law.

I seriously hope that most people are making their decisions about law school on a host of factors specific to them and not stressing over where US News ranked their school.

And if it really bothers you, just remember the ranking is going to change three more times before you graduate.

Sound reasoning. Aside from passing up a full ride at Yale lol. :)

maxiguess

Postby maxiguess » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:18 pm

martymoose wrote:

Yeah, still time to break 100 :p

martymoose

Postby martymoose » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:46 pm

maxiguess wrote:
martymoose wrote:

Yeah, still time to break 100 :p
I LOL'd. Thank you.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:49 pm

I'll do a Q&A as well (3L here) if anyone is interested.

The other guy on here's advice is very credited as far as not living on campus.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:45 pm

Gatriel wrote:I'll do a Q&A as well (3L here) if anyone is interested.

The other guy on here's advice is very credited as far as not living on campus.

Hi.

Nice to see a 3L taking questions, as you'll have the most accurate pulse on the job market.

-Are you glad you went to Pepperdine (or law school at all)?

-If you had to do it again, would you do the same?

-Are job prospects as horrible as reported on the new USNW ranks?

-Has there been any buzz around campus about Pepperdine's drop?

I'm in at Pepperdine and Loyola, although I've got more money from Loyola. I'm thinking both schools will fare out about equally as far as grad placement goes. I'm very skeptical about this proposition at this point.

Thanks so much!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”