Pepperdine c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RAWR

Bronze

Re: Pepperdine c/o 2016

Post by RAWR » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:05 pm

Does Pepperdine negotiate scholly up to match COA at peer schools?

martymoose

New

Post by martymoose » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:38 am

Gatriel wrote:Have they already done ASD?
April 12.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:19 am

Ok, so I just received a PM asking some questions about Pepperdine. Because I think many people have the same or similar questions, I'm going to post the questions, and redact the person's username to protect their privacy. This is a great idea -- I wish I had through of it. So if anyone has questions that they don't want displayed here, feel free to PM me and I'll answer them this way;
1. do the majority of first year students live on campus? I'm looking to potentially live off campus and maybe even save a little bit of money, but I want to make sure I won't be missing out on many of the on-campus activities. I've lived the past two years off campus at my UG and am not really wanting to go back to that...
I think it depends on the year. My 1L year (so 2010/2011) I could say pretty objectively about half the 1L class lived on campus. Then next year (2011/2012) it was 1/3rd at the most. There aren't "on-campus activities" that people from on campus do together per se but its a good (and worse) way to make friends. Here is the deal about on Campus Housing -- it is not administered by the law school. Its administered by Pepperdine's Housing Department (they have some fancy name for it but whatever) and the law school has no control or administration over it. The Law school doesn't even have the ability to choose the RA for the complex -- "Lower Campus" (a term you will become accustomed to describing everything undergrad and administration related) does.

So for those of you who are coming the Pepperdine for the Religious experience -- you can ignore this next paragraph -- for those of you who are agnostic/atheist/other religion and are thinking about living on campus -- stick around and read this. So as you all know Pepperdine is a religious school -- based off the Church of Christ Christian denomination. Like any denomination -- it does have its nut jobs -- and some of those nut jobs do decide to come to law school. Many times these people elect to live on campus -- why? The Rules. Because Pepperdine Law is unable to control/administer George Page (on campus housing) it is administered by lower campus -- which is overrun with religious zealots. You as a 23+ year old will be subject to the exact same rules if you live on campus -- as a 17 year old Freshman undergraduate. An example of them 1) No alcohol. You could be 21 or 91 it doesn't matter. There is absolutely no booze on campus. Oh ... you need wine for that recipe ... change the recipe. 2) No different sex sleep overs, so you have a S/O who lives out of town and naturally they want to visit you (and Malibu) you either have to get them a hotel so y'all can sleep next to one another, or find some friends of the opposite sex so they can sleep on their couch. 3) Filtered TV non-high def tv channels. You want to watch Breaking Bad, or Game of Thrones ... not on campus. These stations are blocked ... for your innocence, of course. As I discussed above (re; Nut Jobs) if you decide to live on campus, and are just banking on finding cool room mates -- while it is entirely possible -- don't count on it. It is possible you'll get stuck with one of these nut jobs that will call the RA/RD if you enjoy a beer or two with a football game. This happened to me -- save it wasn't a roommate who ratted me out -- but another guy in the complex who took the time to tell everyone there week 1 of school he would have no problem calling the RA is he saw us breaking the rules. So as far as living on campus for those of you who don't associate with Christianity -- think LOOOOOOONG and hard about if this is really the best of ideas. For those of us who are Christians and read this paragraph anyway (come on -- law students) if these rules seem ok to you and you could abide by them -- awesome -- don't be the insufferable douche-bag that ruins everyone else's fun -- if you think the rules are as patently egregious as I do -- then this paragraph probably applies to you as well.

The facilities are decrepit and old. We were using appliances that were older than us, drawers without bottoms, and were welcomed to the place without a single working light bulb, clean air filter, and move not notices stuck to the door from 1999. The carpet is Soviet era and would have made Gorbachev proud. There is no glamorous ocean view as one might expect (per the Hitler parody on Youtube somewhere) -- the views consist of parking lots and retaining walls. It is offensively expensive coming it at $1700 per month -- it makes 4 people staying a GP pay way MORE than staying HERE in their 3 bedroom with loft -- without the oppressive rules.

The plus side to living on campus is it is really convenient. You can wake up 10 minutes before class and just walk there, picking up your coffee on the way. Its pretty legit.

2. Can you speak to the success of Palmer center fellows as far as in-house, analyst/consulting/etc. goes? What are the careers that graduates of the program are attaining straight out of law school? I'm a finance undergrad and want to study securities law, and the Palmer center was a major draw to me!
This I'm not super based/fluent in -- I came from a Masters & Bachelors in accounting -- I joined the Palmer Center -- but my study abroad made me remove myself from its ranks. However, being part of the Palmer Center is more or less a thing for other Palmer Alumns -- most potential employers have no idea what it is or what it entails. So if this is the career path you want to take then I suggest doing the Palmer Center -- and then catering each resume (So lets say you're applying to Goldman Sachs, include on the resume "Took Real Estate Finance, Securities Law, and Secured Transactions" as these are concepts the potential employer could wrap its head around. Saying you're a fellow at the Palmer Center gains about as much traction with employers as "Fellow with the Gatriel Center for Business and Entrepreneurship."

However, if you come with this background, take the right classes and can speak either German, Russian, Chinese or Japanese you should probably PM me and getting into BigLaw could be a lot easier than you think.
3. What is the best way to get professor/class specific study guides? I saw you posting about that in the thread, and it sounds like the way to go.
Yeah outline depot is pretty credited. Read them once a week until the last few weeks of the semester then start reading them daily. Should help out substantially.

Hope that helps all.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:25 am

RAWR wrote:Does Pepperdine negotiate scholly up to match COA at peer schools?
They might -- I'm not sure. I'd email Shanon Phillips in the administration. She is probably the nicest lady you'll ever meet or get to talk to -- and can answer specific questions like this way better than someone like me can.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:49 am

I won't be able to attend ASW next weekend, and I definitely see the merit in your argument for living off campus. What would be the best way to find roommates, preferably other 0L's, besides here on TLS? Is there a facebook page that is created for 0L's?
So if you cannot attend ASW then you should probably start an unofficial Pepperdine Class of 2016 Facebook group until the school gets around to making the official one (hint hint those at the top of the hill). I have seen many people find roommates this way.

The other thing you can do is Craigslist it like the week before you arrive. Just a couple thoughts.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gitguy

Bronze

Post by gitguy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:39 pm

RAWR wrote:Does Pepperdine negotiate scholly up to match COA at peer schools?
They said they use a matrix based on GPA and LSAT to give the initial offers, but that they may be able to offer more after the first seat deposit.

nilzzz90

New

Post by nilzzz90 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Just checked my status and was admitted today! yayy :) Been waiting since December to hear back!

JP16

New

Post by JP16 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:55 pm

Does anyone know how selection works for Pepperdine's London program? Is admission for the program competitive, or do basically all that apply get to go? Thanks!

LinajaMD

New

Post by LinajaMD » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:59 am

Admitted today! Waiting for scholly info!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nwlawschool2013

New

Post by nwlawschool2013 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:50 pm

LinajaMD wrote:Admitted today! Waiting for scholly info!!
My status checker says decision rendered as of yesterday and that's it. Does that mean reject?

Razorbackfan19247

New

Post by Razorbackfan19247 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:06 am

So did everyone who went to ASD enjoy themselves?

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:17 am

Congrats! But I hope they were more generous with you than I. We have virtually identical numbers and have practically the same offers from USD and LLS. Pepperdine gave me a congratulations, at sticker price. :/

nilzzz90

New

Post by nilzzz90 » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:59 pm

Razorbackfan19247 wrote:So did everyone who went to ASD enjoy themselves?
I certainly did! and sent in my deposit when I got home :) Never met so many nice people in one day!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

akasabian

Bronze

Post by akasabian » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:02 pm

Just sent in my deposit. 164, 3.7x GPA, Dean's Scholarship.

JP16

New

Post by JP16 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:38 pm

Sent in deposit!

LinajaMD

New

Post by LinajaMD » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:30 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
Congrats! But I hope they were more generous with you than I. We have virtually identical numbers and have practically the same offers from USD and LLS. Pepperdine gave me a congratulations, at sticker price. :/
Ha, they were not generous. Full ride at LLS. Sticker Price at Pepperdine... but it's my dream school and my (amazing) husband is willing to pay. We will see... LLS admit day is the 19th!

LinajaMD

New

Post by LinajaMD » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:32 pm

If you are attending, will anyone be living on campus? I think I'm probably going to commute from a rental in Calabasas. Never lived on campus in UG, no intention of starting now.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Razorbackfan19247

New

Post by Razorbackfan19247 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:05 pm

I will be living off-campus this fall. I found a studio apartment in Malibu that was the perfect fit for me. For those who are looking to live off-campus I would recommend checking Craigslist and places4students.com daily. New places are being posted on those sites on a regular basis, and that's how I found my place.

akasabian

Bronze

Post by akasabian » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:35 pm

Razorbackfan19247 wrote:I will be living off-campus this fall. I found a studio apartment in Malibu that was the perfect fit for me. For those who are looking to live off-campus I would recommend checking Craigslist and places4students.com daily. New places are being posted on those sites on a regular basis, and that's how I found my place.
How much a month?

akasabian

Bronze

Post by akasabian » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:36 pm

Do they have a c/o 2016 FB group?

Razorbackfan19247

New

Post by Razorbackfan19247 » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:26 pm

akasabian wrote:
Razorbackfan19247 wrote:I will be living off-campus this fall. I found a studio apartment in Malibu that was the perfect fit for me. For those who are looking to live off-campus I would recommend checking Craigslist and places4students.com daily. New places are being posted on those sites on a regular basis, and that's how I found my place.
How much a month?
I was lucky enough to find a place that was only $1000 a month, which is probably the cheapest you can expect to find something like that, and to answer your other question, no I don't think there is a FB group for the class of 2016 yet.
Last edited by Razorbackfan19247 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:31 pm

Just withdrew with 20k! Wish I could send it directly to someone :?

maxiguess

Bronze

Post by maxiguess » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:39 pm

Just withdrew 96k. It was a really tough decision. Best of luck to all attendees!

RAWR

Bronze

Post by RAWR » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:23 pm

Withdrew with 60k. LIke everyone else said,wish I could drop it directly into someone's lap!

vrmsoccer

New

Post by vrmsoccer » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:15 pm

maxiguess wrote:Just withdrew 96k. It was a really tough decision. Best of luck to all attendees!
Ditto. Good luck to everyone else.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”