Pepperdine c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
martymoose

New

Re: Pepperdine c/o 2016

Post by martymoose » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:47 pm

Gatriel wrote:I'll do a Q&A as well (3L here) if anyone is interested.

The other guy on here's advice is very credited as far as not living on campus.
You might not be in the thread you mean to be.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:10 am

martymoose wrote:

You might not be in the thread you mean to be.
I am. I never quite understood the necessity to have a tqs thread in a completely different sub forum when the people with a vested interest are right here. Ill answer here unless/until admin tells me otherwise.

To the dude on the last page - ill answer that question when I get backs from work today. ~ 12 hours from now.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:25 am

martymoose wrote:
Hyee wrote:All Cali schools did, so it's not as bad as it sounds. Essentially the numbers now better reflect our dirt economy and the fact that we pump out way too many lawyers. May help with money, doubt too much.
This is just a small sample of why the rankings are stupid. What does the larger economy have to do with the quality of the school? (hint: nothing) It's not as if the school suddenly became a much lower quality institution, nor did other schools suddenly become way better.

I'm going to Pepperdine because it's the best school for me in my situation, not because of where it's ranked. If Yale gave me a full ride, I wouldn't go. I'm not moving to freaking Connecticut! I'm not trying to get a job with some 1000 attorney firm. I want to live in Ventura county and practice law.

I seriously hope that most people are making their decisions about law school on a host of factors specific to them and not stressing over where US News ranked their school.

And if it really bothers you, just remember the ranking is going to change three more times before you graduate.
I'm sorry man, but YEAH RIGHT.

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:37 am

Yale at full ride trumphs all. Even if you're one of those people who goes to Pepperdine to take their degree and deport themselves to 3rd world countries, you'd better still go to yls. It'll open way more doors.

That being said I love pepperdine and the experience I've had there.

Mr. Jones

New

Post by Mr. Jones » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:17 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:

Hi.

Nice to see a 3L taking questions, as you'll have the most accurate pulse on the job market.

-Are you glad you went to Pepperdine (or law school at all)?

-If you had to do it again, would you do the same?

-Are job prospects as horrible as reported on the new USNW ranks?

-Has there been any buzz around campus about Pepperdine's drop?

I'm in at Pepperdine and Loyola, although I've got more money from Loyola. I'm thinking both schools will fare out about equally as far as grad placement goes. I'm very skeptical about this proposition at this point.

Thanks so much!
I throw an answer out to the aforementioned questions as a 3L as well.

1) Yes and No. I am not particularly glad that I went to law school; however there are two caveats: (a) I don't really know what else I'd be doing, probably an "analyst" at some downtown LA investment bank, or an accountant and (b) I don't really know if being a lawyer is for me simply because I have not been a lawyer yet, I can answer this better in a few years. Notwithstanding my potential misgivings about law school, I am very glad I went to Pepperdine. I found my classmates to be cool and have generally enjoyed my time.

2) If I had to go to law school again, I would choose Pepperdine. I passed up other local schools (USC/UCLA) at sticker to attend Pepperdine. Seeing how many of my of peers who go to those schools are worried about debt, the choice seems clear to me because I simply am not. I also have no pressure to find a biglaw job to pay it off.

3) Job prospects for lawyers are inherently skewed for the following reasons. Jobs at graduation, in my opinion, are not a good measure of a school because many 3L's won't start looking until afterwards anyways. Not to mention we graduate 6 months before we get bar results, so put yourself in an employer's perspective: it's hard to guage employment needs 6 months or 9 months out. I think the 9 month out employment numbers are a better representative of a school's placement rate. Otherwise, yeah it doesn't seem that the 2011 grads did so hot. Of those who are looking for jobs already, I think my class is doing okay, but again most haven't started looking in earnest.

4) It's spring break, so there is no buzz on campus about anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:46 pm

Thanks so much for the response, Mr. Jones!

martymoose

New

Post by martymoose » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:15 pm

Gatriel wrote:Yale at full ride trumphs all. Even if you're one of those people who goes to Pepperdine to take their degree and deport themselves to 3rd world countries, you'd better still go to yls. It'll open way more doors.

I own my own home. I'm married and have my kids in schools I like. For me, all of that trumps any doors Yale would open. Each person is in a different situation. What makes sense for you does not necessarily work for all others.

Mr. Jones

New

Post by Mr. Jones » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:36 pm

martymoose wrote:
Gatriel wrote:Yale at full ride trumphs all. Even if you're one of those people who goes to Pepperdine to take their degree and deport themselves to 3rd world countries, you'd better still go to yls. It'll open way more doors.

I own my own home. I'm married and have my kids in schools I like. For me, all of that trumps any doors Yale would open. Each person is in a different situation. What makes sense for you does not necessarily work for all others.
That's a pretty good reason.

Mr. Jones

New

Post by Mr. Jones » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:38 pm

Mr. Jones wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:

Hi.

Nice to see a 3L taking questions, as you'll have the most accurate pulse on the job market.

-Are you glad you went to Pepperdine (or law school at all)?

-If you had to do it again, would you do the same?

-Are job prospects as horrible as reported on the new USNW ranks?

-Has there been any buzz around campus about Pepperdine's drop?

I'm in at Pepperdine and Loyola, although I've got more money from Loyola. I'm thinking both schools will fare out about equally as far as grad placement goes. I'm very skeptical about this proposition at this point.

Thanks so much!
I throw an answer out to the aforementioned questions as a 3L as well.

1) Yes and No. I am not particularly glad that I went to law school; however there are two caveats: (a) I don't really know what else I'd be doing, probably an "analyst" at some downtown LA investment bank, or an accountant and (b) I don't really know if being a lawyer is for me simply because I have not been a lawyer yet, I can answer this better in a few years. Notwithstanding my potential misgivings about law school, I am very glad I went to Pepperdine. I found my classmates to be cool and have generally enjoyed my time.

2) If I had to go to law school again, I would choose Pepperdine. I passed up other local schools (USC/UCLA) at sticker to attend Pepperdine. Seeing how many of my of peers who go to those schools are worried about debt, the choice seems clear to me because I simply am not. I also have no pressure to find a biglaw job to pay it off.

3) Job prospects for lawyers are inherently skewed for the following reasons. Jobs at graduation, in my opinion, are not a good measure of a school because many 3L's won't start looking until afterwards anyways. Not to mention we graduate 6 months before we get bar results, so put yourself in an employer's perspective: it's hard to guage employment needs 6 months or 9 months out. I think the 9 month out employment numbers are a better representative of a school's placement rate. Otherwise, yeah it doesn't seem that the 2011 grads did so hot. Of those who are looking for jobs already, I think my class is doing okay, but again most haven't started looking in earnest.

4) It's spring break, so there is no buzz on campus about anything.
To follow up from earlier, after writing this post I looked through linkedin to see how my friends from last year did, or are doing. It seems that many are now getting good jobs, albeit that's 6 months after they have passed the bar.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Good to know! Thanks!

Gatriel

Gold

Post by Gatriel » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:58 pm

Sorry for the delay;

1) I am both glad I went to Pepperdine as well as to law school, while Pepperdine isn’t the highest ranked school out there (obviously) and the law field is getting hammered from all sides -- in hindsight it (both Pepperdine and law school in general) was an excellent decision. However, I am only speaking with what I know at this point in time, I think if you were to ask me in a few years I could give you a more objective answer. This question however, while easy to answer will differ from person to person. I think Pepperdine was a good decision by example, I wanted to build my own study abroad program in a country and with a University that wasn’t part of the school’s curriculum. Last year I worked actively and extensively with both the academic dean, and the registrar, as well as with a couple professors to make this happen. It took lots of time and paperwork on their part, but they bent over backwards to accommodate me. Many other schools in a similar situation would have just told me to take a year off instead of working my study abroad into my JD. That being said -- the age-old schtick “herp derp we really care about you here” is not schtick, nor is it derp. The faculty from top to bottom really care about you -- not just about you not falling asleep in class, but about you getting a job and fulfilling your goals, whether it be selling your soul to the man to make rich company A richer by suing rich company B, or if you want to deport yourself to some 3rd world country to help indigenous orphan homeless baby whales, they’ll do everything they can for you.

As to your second question - no. If I had it to do all over again, I would have retaken the LSAT and tried to get more money from Pepperdine -- but I still would have gone. While I am convinced the quality of education one receives is fairly consistent in the top 100 schools, what you are paying for more than anything is the name. While Pepperdine has its areas of prestige, it is not universally prestigious as say the t14 are. Right now the employment data being fed out of Pepperdine isn’t very good -- however -- most schools in this USNWR zone have roughly the same employment statistics, so yeah, if your LSAT is in the area that will get you into a school between 40-60 then Pepperdine isn’t a bad choice if you want to practice in the South, Texas or Socal.

Jobs -- finally something I can opine pretty accurately about. If you are expecting a t14 career placement experience at Pepperdine you will be disappointed. There aren’t many (if any) big 250 law firms just waiting to hire you. In fact, I’d venture to say that unless your top 5%, or have something really working for you on your resume, or your dad is a share partner somewhere -- I don’t think big law will work out. That being said -- I know of quite a few people (including myself) who have summered at BigLaw firms, and they were always pleased with our work product.

Jobs are hard to find right now, especially in the LA market, which is already oversaturated with Ivy League kids who are sick of measuring snow in feet every winter and want some sun shine. That being said -- I’m a 3L (who graduates in December) and I am not worried about finding a good job that fits me when I’m done. However, don’t expect the CDO to throw 160k jobs at you all day long. I know many people who work for small law firms making less than $80k a year starting. Not great, but not Cooley bad either. That being said, you better be prepared to do a lot of your own legwork. I recommend signing up for the Beverly Hills Bar Association (irrespective of whether you go to Loyola or Pepperdine) and attend their monthly mixers -- always. Great for networking, and you can really easily scoop summer internships that way, especially in S&E, RealEstate or Tax.

I haven’t had anything to do with the CDO for almost 18 months now. My first year they tried very hard to steer everyone down the same path that every other CDO in the country does -- Summer 1: Judicial Externship Summer 2: Law Firm internship. If you didn’t want to fit into this little mold they didn’t know what to do with you, or much less have anything to offer you. To the school’s credit they cleaned out the CDO last Spring and brought in a ton of new people, I cannot comment on their effectiveness, as I haven’t done anything with them -- however I’m sure someone else here could do that quite easily.

I’m about as far away from campus right now as possible, so no idea there. Good luck with your decision, and let us know what you decide.

I hope this helps!

lawgirl_16

New

Post by lawgirl_16 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:11 pm

Is anyone still in review?

cnk

Bronze

Post by cnk » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:17 pm

lawgirl_16 wrote:Is anyone still in review?
i am

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:20 pm

Gatriel wrote:Sorry for the delay;

1) I am both glad I went to Pepperdine as well as to law school, while Pepperdine isn’t the highest ranked school out there (obviously) and the law field is getting hammered from all sides -- in hindsight it (both Pepperdine and law school in general) was an excellent decision. However, I am only speaking with what I know at this point in time, I think if you were to ask me in a few years I could give you a more objective answer. This question however, while easy to answer will differ from person to person. I think Pepperdine was a good decision by example, I wanted to build my own study abroad program in a country and with a University that wasn’t part of the school’s curriculum. Last year I worked actively and extensively with both the academic dean, and the registrar, as well as with a couple professors to make this happen. It took lots of time and paperwork on their part, but they bent over backwards to accommodate me. Many other schools in a similar situation would have just told me to take a year off instead of working my study abroad into my JD. That being said -- the age-old schtick “herp derp we really care about you here” is not schtick, nor is it derp. The faculty from top to bottom really care about you -- not just about you not falling asleep in class, but about you getting a job and fulfilling your goals, whether it be selling your soul to the man to make rich company A richer by suing rich company B, or if you want to deport yourself to some 3rd world country to help indigenous orphan homeless baby whales, they’ll do everything they can for you.

As to your second question - no. If I had it to do all over again, I would have retaken the LSAT and tried to get more money from Pepperdine -- but I still would have gone. While I am convinced the quality of education one receives is fairly consistent in the top 100 schools, what you are paying for more than anything is the name. While Pepperdine has its areas of prestige, it is not universally prestigious as say the t14 are. Right now the employment data being fed out of Pepperdine isn’t very good -- however -- most schools in this USNWR zone have roughly the same employment statistics, so yeah, if your LSAT is in the area that will get you into a school between 40-60 then Pepperdine isn’t a bad choice if you want to practice in the South, Texas or Socal.

Jobs -- finally something I can opine pretty accurately about. If you are expecting a t14 career placement experience at Pepperdine you will be disappointed. There aren’t many (if any) big 250 law firms just waiting to hire you. In fact, I’d venture to say that unless your top 5%, or have something really working for you on your resume, or your dad is a share partner somewhere -- I don’t think big law will work out. That being said -- I know of quite a few people (including myself) who have summered at BigLaw firms, and they were always pleased with our work product.

Jobs are hard to find right now, especially in the LA market, which is already oversaturated with Ivy League kids who are sick of measuring snow in feet every winter and want some sun shine. That being said -- I’m a 3L (who graduates in December) and I am not worried about finding a good job that fits me when I’m done. However, don’t expect the CDO to throw 160k jobs at you all day long. I know many people who work for small law firms making less than $80k a year starting. Not great, but not Cooley bad either. That being said, you better be prepared to do a lot of your own legwork. I recommend signing up for the Beverly Hills Bar Association (irrespective of whether you go to Loyola or Pepperdine) and attend their monthly mixers -- always. Great for networking, and you can really easily scoop summer internships that way, especially in S&E, RealEstate or Tax.

I haven’t had anything to do with the CDO for almost 18 months now. My first year they tried very hard to steer everyone down the same path that every other CDO in the country does -- Summer 1: Judicial Externship Summer 2: Law Firm internship. If you didn’t want to fit into this little mold they didn’t know what to do with you, or much less have anything to offer you. To the school’s credit they cleaned out the CDO last Spring and brought in a ton of new people, I cannot comment on their effectiveness, as I haven’t done anything with them -- however I’m sure someone else here could do that quite easily.

I’m about as far away from campus right now as possible, so no idea there. Good luck with your decision, and let us know what you decide.

I hope this helps!
Awesome answers! Thanks!

PS. Love the part about indigenous homeless baby orphan wales. Lol

New

Post by 20130414 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:24 am

Last edited by 20130414 on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawgirl_16

New

Post by lawgirl_16 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:29 pm

dmgoor01 wrote:
cnk wrote:
i am
Yeah, still in review too... don't know what that means since we were supposed to hear back last Thursday.
I really really am hoping for an acceptance here as I was just WL'ed at USD. Pepperdine is where I'll be for the next 3 years if I'm admitted.
Yea I called and was told "unfortunately its a waiting game" ...I see they like to play games haha :/ hopefully we will find out soon for the sake of our sanity.

Mr. Jones

New

Post by Mr. Jones » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:32 pm

lawgirl_16 wrote:
dmgoor01 wrote:
cnk wrote:
i am
Yeah, still in review too... don't know what that means since we were supposed to hear back last Thursday.
I really really am hoping for an acceptance here as I was just WL'ed at USD. Pepperdine is where I'll be for the next 3 years if I'm admitted.
Yea I called and was told "unfortunately its a waiting game" ...I see they like to play games haha :/ hopefully we will find out soon for the sake of our sanity.
They're waiting to see how many of those already accepted matriculate. Your chances of admission are based on that at this point. Good luck, Pepperdine is a nice place to be for three years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cnk

Bronze

Post by cnk » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:19 pm

so does that mean we're not hearing back until the deposits have been put down?

150s_or_bust

New

Post by 150s_or_bust » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Better yet, does that mean there is no WAIT LIST for Pepperdine?

EmilyMennel

New

Post by EmilyMennel » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:42 pm

For whatever reason, Pepperdine's online application status 'checker' continues to tell me that they're waiting on a paper copy of my application. Emails to the university haven't been answered regarding whether or not there is something I can do to speed up this process. Did this happen to anyone else for what felt like an excruciating amount of time?

thatgirl

New

Post by thatgirl » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:46 pm

Last edited by thatgirl on Mon May 09, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

nilzzz90

New

Post by nilzzz90 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:20 pm

thatgirl wrote:Accepted today via status checker. The status checker says the official acceptance letter will come in the mail with $$ info...
When did you go under review?

thatgirl

New

Post by thatgirl » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:24 pm

Last edited by thatgirl on Mon May 09, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jcg

New

Post by jcg » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:49 am

EmilyMennel wrote:For whatever reason, Pepperdine's online application status 'checker' continues to tell me that they're waiting on a paper copy of my application. Emails to the university haven't been answered regarding whether or not there is something I can do to speed up this process. Did this happen to anyone else for what felt like an excruciating amount of time?
Mine said that for a while. I called and they checked and updated. Try calling.

kdog1147

New

Post by kdog1147 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:30 am

thatgirl wrote:Accepted today via status checker. The status checker says the official acceptance letter will come in the mail with $$ info...
Happened to me too man don't worry for w/e reason that part just seems to take a while

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”