University of San Diego c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Dmini7

Re: University of San Diego c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby Dmini7 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:51 am

onionskin wrote:Unfortunately I don't really have anything to bargain with.

"I'm getting $31k from another school! But it's barely ranked..."
"I'm waitlisted at a T20! Oh wait that was last year's ranking..."
"I'm waitlisted at the oldest public law school in the state!"
"I applied to Stanford!"

=[

I think most schools will realize money is a big issue, its still worth telling them how much you were offered elsewhere and explain that financial worries are a big issue for you. The worst thing they can say is no.

unclepete

Postby unclepete » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:38 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
onionskin wrote:Unfortunately I don't really have anything to bargain with.

"I'm getting $31k from another school! But it's barely ranked..."
"I'm waitlisted at a T20! Oh wait that was last year's ranking..."
"I'm waitlisted at the oldest public law school in the state!"
"I applied to Stanford!"

=[

I think most schools will realize money is a big issue, its still worth telling them how much you were offered elsewhere and explain that financial worries are a big issue for you. The worst thing they can say is no.

USD responded to my negotiation email by telling me to send another email and attach all of my other acceptances and offers

whsy

Postby whsy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:46 pm

USD was really open to negotiation, also very responsive.

lakers7

Postby lakers7 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:50 pm

I'm waitlisted here. Just curious - when is the first deposit deadline?

Jeebs

Postby Jeebs » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:23 pm

lakers7 wrote:I'm waitlisted here. Just curious - when is the first deposit deadline?

The scholarship deadline is on Monday, April 1. I believe the next deadline (the first seat deposit) is April 30th.

laforzagop

Postby laforzagop » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:36 pm

So I never filed a FAFSA and didn't know it was a requirement in order to be granted even a merit based scholarship. I just realized this unfortunately. Money isn't really a deciding factor but it certainly will help make the decision easier. Do you think it's possible they can still offer me a scholarship if I filll out the FAFSA tomorrow? I will call admissions tomorrow but am kind of bummed out about this. USD is probably my first choice but other schools are throwing money around to make it really tempting to jump ship.

nba101790

Postby nba101790 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:36 pm

laforzagop wrote:So I never filed a FAFSA and didn't know it was a requirement in order to be granted even a merit based scholarship. I just realized this unfortunately. Money isn't really a deciding factor but it certainly will help make the decision easier. Do you think it's possible they can still offer me a scholarship if I filll out the FAFSA tomorrow? I will call admissions tomorrow but am kind of bummed out about this. USD is probably my first choice but other schools are throwing money around to make it really tempting to jump ship.

Are you sure about this? I did not file a FAFSA and received a scholarship from USD at the same time as acceptance.

laforzagop

Postby laforzagop » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:40 pm

nba101790 wrote:
laforzagop wrote:So I never filed a FAFSA and didn't know it was a requirement in order to be granted even a merit based scholarship. I just realized this unfortunately. Money isn't really a deciding factor but it certainly will help make the decision easier. Do you think it's possible they can still offer me a scholarship if I filll out the FAFSA tomorrow? I will call admissions tomorrow but am kind of bummed out about this. USD is probably my first choice but other schools are throwing money around to make it really tempting to jump ship.

Are you sure about this? I did not file a FAFSA and received a scholarship from USD at the same time as acceptance.

No I'm not sure at all about this. From their website 'All students must file a FAFSA to be considered for scholarships.'

Any other input? I will call tomorrow morning as I guess no one works past 5 any more.

AKsnow

Postby AKsnow » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:26 am

nba101790 wrote:

I filed a FAFSA but received scholarship information before it was filed.

Also, withdrawing with 120k tomorrow. Hope someone in here gets some of it!

unclepete

Postby unclepete » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:18 pm

They denied my request for more aid, so I`ll be withdrawing w/ 60k. Hope it goes to someone here!

onionskin

Postby onionskin » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:55 pm

Dang you guys. I'm gonna pay my deposit as insurance, and hopefully they'll up my scholly. Got to be better than USF regardless of the money right?

unclepete

Postby unclepete » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:01 pm

onionskin wrote:Dang you guys. I'm gonna pay my deposit as insurance, and hopefully they'll up my scholly. Got to be better than USF regardless of the money right?

Doesn't look like they're playin ball with scholarship raises, at least not for most. But is it worth losing the $300? Yeah, probably.

rheannabanana

Postby rheannabanana » Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:09 pm

Got my acceptance letter on Saturday but was disappointed by the aid package -- even this late in the cycle almost every other school has given me more. :( I only got a grant from USD and no scholarship money. GPA is median-ish and LSAT is above 75th.

I am considering asking for more assistance because it is really my #1 choice because I have family here and I loved USD when I visited. I haven't done this before and I'm a bit nervous, though. Does anyone know whether they'll consider offers from schools outside of the so cal area? I'm still waiting to hear from the other local schools; my current scholarship offers are from schools in totally different states (rankings higher, lower, comparable). Do you think I'd be better off paying the seat deposit and waiting for my other offers to come in before contacting USD to try and negotiate (beg)?

I'm really kind of bummed about this one...

whsy

Postby whsy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:05 am

rheannabanana wrote:Got my acceptance letter on Saturday but was disappointed by the aid package -- even this late in the cycle almost every other school has given me more. :( I only got a grant from USD and no scholarship money. GPA is median-ish and LSAT is above 75th.

I am considering asking for more assistance because it is really my #1 choice because I have family here and I loved USD when I visited. I haven't done this before and I'm a bit nervous, though. Does anyone know whether they'll consider offers from schools outside of the so cal area? I'm still waiting to hear from the other local schools; my current scholarship offers are from schools in totally different states (rankings higher, lower, comparable). Do you think I'd be better off paying the seat deposit and waiting for my other offers to come in before contacting USD to try and negotiate (beg)?

Negotiate, don't be nervous, in this economy, a lot of schools probably expect it. The worst they can say is no... i tried with usd, and they came back with money..

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:30 am

Hey guys is anyone else going to the April 12th student open house thingy? And whats with having the tour april 12th but the deposit april 1st?

mewalke1

Postby mewalke1 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:31 am

whsy wrote:
rheannabanana wrote:Got my acceptance letter on Saturday but was disappointed by the aid package -- even this late in the cycle almost every other school has given me more. :( I only got a grant from USD and no scholarship money. GPA is median-ish and LSAT is above 75th.

Negotiate, don't be nervous, in this economy, a lot of schools probably expect it. The worst they can say is no... i tried with usd, and they came back with money..

Hi guys Im am trying to ask for more money from a few schools including SD but I don't know the best way to go about it...email, phone call...how many other offers should I compare to ? Any help would be great!!

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 am

mewalke1 wrote:
whsy wrote:

Hi guys Im am trying to ask for more money from a few schools including SD but I don't know the best way to go about it...email, phone call...how many other offers should I compare to ? Any help would be great!!

I emailed the general financial aid email (I don't have it handy, but it is in the packet) and basically just said I have other competitive offers and asked if they would reconsider my scholarship offer. I received an email back indicating I could forward copies of my other offers and my file would be forwarded for reconsideration. I shortly thereafter received another slightly better offer.

Given that it is April 1, I would go ahead and call the financial aid office and ask them if there is anyone you should forward this information to. They might just tell you to email the general financial aid email address with copies of your offers. If it were earlier in the game I would suggest simply writing the general email with your offers attached and requesting reconsideration. However, since today is the deadline for deposits I think a phone call is warranted.

Good luck!

whsy

Postby whsy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:06 am

Withdrew my application, hope my $35k goes to someone on TLS!

Jeebs

Postby Jeebs » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:37 am

mewalke1 wrote:Hey guys is anyone else going to the April 12th student open house thingy? And whats with having the tour april 12th but the deposit april 1st?

The April 1 deadline is just for scholarship deposits. The first seat deposit isn't due until April 30. The alumni/admitted student event on the 12th has nothing to do with scholarships

boredatwork24

Postby boredatwork24 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:10 pm

Anybody know how long it took for USD to mail the decisions? My decision was made on 3-15, but I still haven't received anything in the mail.

rgfuller12

Postby rgfuller12 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:20 pm

boredatwork24 wrote:Anybody know how long it took for USD to mail the decisions? My decision was made on 3-15, but I still haven't received anything in the mail.

I got an email a few hours after it changed to decision made but the email was in my junk mail.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:00 pm

Have any of you with schollies submitted your seat deposits?

whsy

Postby whsy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:06 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:Have any of you with schollies submitted your seat deposits?

I didn't, withdrew instead...

nba101790

Postby nba101790 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:07 pm

whsy wrote:

Same.

unclepete

Postby unclepete » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:08 pm

nba101790 wrote:
whsy wrote:

Same.

About to do the same. What'd you guys write in your withdrawal notice?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”