Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CMJdoeslawschool

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby CMJdoeslawschool » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:41 am

pinkyandthebrain wrote:
cusenation wrote:
teiswei wrote:
cusenation wrote:I miss this thread

Come back. It's a refundable deposit at WUSTL

LOL

I'm told by our "double eagles" that WUSTL is our biggest sports rival. So, Emory = D3 women swimming and diving NCCA champs. Suck it WUSTL!

As a would-be Double Eagle I can definitely say those of us who return for any kind of grad school love us some Emory :D

We will ever sing thy praises,
Sons and daughters true.
Hail we now our Alma Mater,
Hail the Gold and Blue!

ramsdancer1

Postby ramsdancer1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:29 am

Anyone get a decision today? Also, since Friday is Good Friday and some places get the day off as a holiday do you think they will be sending out decisions on Friday or just today and Thursday if they plan to meet the April 1st deadline?

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:32 am

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

nba101790

Postby nba101790 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:33 am

ramsdancer1 wrote:Anyone get a decision today? Also, since Friday is Good Friday and some places get the day off as a holiday do you think they will be sending out decisions on Friday or just today and Thursday if they plan to meet the April 1st deadline?

I'm very surprised to not have anything by now. The wording of the email I got two weeks ago implied that all decisions would be out and received by Friday.

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:35 am

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JXander

Postby JXander » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:37 am

2012Lsatscore wrote:I think I might call and ask. (Also hit them up for a status check :wink: )

Yeah, Emory has friendly people at their phones and they're typically very helpful.

nba101790

Postby nba101790 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:38 am

2012Lsatscore wrote:I think I might call and ask. (Also hit them up for a status check :wink: )

(Doitdoitdoitdoit).

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:41 am

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecollege

Postby thecollege » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:44 am

2012Lsatscore wrote:Open Friday.

Bah. Did they say anything else??

doyouevenlift

Postby doyouevenlift » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:46 am

thecollege wrote:
2012Lsatscore wrote:Open Friday.

Bah. Did they say anything else??

I called as well and they said that it is their goal to have everything out by Friday

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:47 am

ramsdancer1

Postby ramsdancer1 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:07 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:
ramsdancer1 wrote:Anyone get a decision today? Also, since Friday is Good Friday and some places get the day off as a holiday do you think they will be sending out decisions on Friday or just today and Thursday if they plan to meet the April 1st deadline?

Man, good question. I know Wake will be closed Friday. Universal maybe? Are WLs also e-mailed with dings?

Answer to my own question: "Admit and denial notifications are sent via mail. Waitlist notifications are sent via email."

Thanks for calling! Some people on here have said they received admit and denial notifications via email so hopefully they will email more decisions. If I haven't heard by Friday...I'm calling. I'll let you guys know if they will tell you decisions over the phone if I do have to call them.

eas09d

Postby eas09d » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:56 pm

ramsdancer1 wrote:
2012Lsatscore wrote:

Man, good question. I know Wake will be closed Friday. Universal maybe? Are WLs also e-mailed with dings?

Answer to my own question: "Admit and denial notifications are sent via mail. Waitlist notifications are sent via email."

Thanks for calling! Some people on here have said they received admit and denial notifications via email so hopefully they will email more decisions. If I haven't heard by Friday...I'm calling. I'll let you guys know if they will tell you decisions over the phone if I do have to call them.

I've been watching this thread for a while.. thanks for all the info! Also I wanted to let everyone know that my boyfriend got denied by email last night. It was timestamped around 6:30; so denials for sure come by email too! I can provide proof if you need...

EmoryAdmissionDean

Postby EmoryAdmissionDean » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:06 pm

Hi – this is Ethan Rosenzweig, the dean of Admission and Financial Aid, at Emory Law. Just a quick update from our office:

Decision Notifications: We are in the final rounds of decision notification this week. We will be sending emails to folks with their notification (admit, deny, or waitlist).

Waitlist: We will be sending some waitlist notifications this week. I thought it may be helpful to provide some background on the waitlist because I am well aware that questions arise. We use historical data to determine how many offers to make; however, in the past years, we have seen variations, and this data does not prove perfect. As such, we manage a waitlist to ensure that we have the appropriate size class with the strongest students possible.

We will admit people from the waitlist this year (and many with scholarship), and I encourage folks who are offered a space to accept a position on the list. This is also a great chance to submit a little more information about you to us through a letter of continuing interest. I read each submission, and I have to confess, some of my favorite students come from the waitlist.

Now, I know what many people think. “I do not want any additional uncertainty right now.” Here is what I always advise: If there is something about our community that is of interest, allow us the chance to admit you so you have all your options available.

If you are invited to the waitlist, I want to have the opportunity to admit you. I hope you provide us that chance.

As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to email me personally at admission(a)law.emory.edu.

nba101790

Postby nba101790 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:10 pm

EmoryAdmissionDean wrote:Hi – this is Ethan Rosenzweig, the dean of Admission and Financial Aid, at Emory Law. Just a quick update from our office:

Decision Notifications: We are in the final rounds of decision notification this week. We will be sending emails to folks with their notification (admit, deny, or waitlist).

Waitlist: We will be sending some waitlist notifications this week. I thought it may be helpful to provide some background on the waitlist because I am well aware that questions arise. We use historical data to determine how many offers to make; however, in the past years, we have seen variations, and this data does not prove perfect. As such, we manage a waitlist to ensure that we have the appropriate size class with the strongest students possible.

We will admit people from the waitlist this year (and many with scholarship), and I encourage folks who are offered a space to accept a position on the list. This is also a great chance to submit a little more information about you to us through a letter of continuing interest. I read each submission, and I have to confess, some of my favorite students come from the waitlist.

Now, I know what many people think. “I do not want any additional uncertainty right now.” Here is what I always advise: If there is something about our community that is of interest, allow us the chance to admit you so you have all your options available.

If you are invited to the waitlist, I want to have the opportunity to admit you. I hope you provide us that chance.

As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to email me personally at admission(a)law.emory.edu.

Ethan,

Thanks for the update!

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:27 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TBZ28

Postby TBZ28 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:44 pm

So from what I've heard when the decisions are mailed so is scholarship information. Does that mean the emailed decisions will have scholarship information as well?

deuceindc

Postby deuceindc » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:19 pm

TBZ28 wrote:So from what I've heard when the decisions are mailed so is scholarship information. Does that mean the emailed decisions will have scholarship information as well?

I got my scholarship info in the same emailed letter as my acceptance, so it's at least known to happen.

mehh

Postby mehh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:42 pm

EmoryAdmissionDean wrote:Hi – this is Ethan Rosenzweig, the dean of Admission and Financial Aid, at Emory Law. Just a quick update from our office:

Thank you for the update! It is much appreciated.

mehh

Postby mehh » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:43 pm

eas09d wrote:
ramsdancer1 wrote:
2012Lsatscore wrote:

I've been watching this thread for a while.. thanks for all the info! Also I wanted to let everyone know that my boyfriend got denied by email last night. It was timestamped around 6:30; so denials for sure come by email too! I can provide proof if you need...

What time zone do you live in? Thanks!!

sk8boarder

Postby sk8boarder » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:59 pm

I called in today regarding my application status and they said it's still under review... Considering decisions that all decisions should be out by Friday, what do you guys think this means??? I applied early Jan, LSAT no is within that 161-165 range

rrghwb

Postby rrghwb » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:12 pm

sk8boarder wrote:I called in today regarding my application status and they said it's still under review... Considering decisions that all decisions should be out by Friday, what do you guys think this means??? I applied early Jan, LSAT no is within that 161-165 range

That's probably true for almost everyone in that range. The reality is Emory will need to accept lots of 161-164 to make a class, and the school simply hasn't done that yet. What's more, Emory isn't going to get many of the 166+/3.6+ applicants, so that will free up spots for 161-164/3.7+.

What I can't figure out is how Emory benefits by waiting so long to notify the 161-164, who make up around 50% of their class. I understand that 165+ deserve priority, but to wait until the end of March to notify people doesn't seem that helpful. It's not as though the high priority 165+ are accepting Emory offers in mid-March. At best Emory gets a sense of who is interested in the WL and perhaps a few 166+ apps trickle in at the end of March, but I don't see how that benefit off sets the disadvantage of making a huge percentage of their class wait so long.

racmyers23

Postby racmyers23 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:48 pm

rrghwb wrote:
sk8boarder wrote:I called in today regarding my application status and they said it's still under review... Considering decisions that all decisions should be out by Friday, what do you guys think this means??? I applied early Jan, LSAT no is within that 161-165 range

That's probably true for almost everyone in that range. The reality is Emory will need to accept lots of 161-164 to make a class, and the school simply hasn't done that yet. What's more, Emory isn't going to get many of the 166+/3.6+ applicants, so that will free up spots for 161-164/3.7+.

What I can't figure out is how Emory benefits by waiting so long to notify the 161-164, who make up around 50% of their class. I understand that 165+ deserve priority, but to wait until the end of March to notify people doesn't seem that helpful. It's not as though the high priority 165+ are accepting Emory offers in mid-March. At best Emory gets a sense of who is interested in the WL and perhaps a few 166+ apps trickle in at the end of March, but I don't see how that benefit off sets the disadvantage of making a huge percentage of their class wait so long.

I would think it is actually quite helpful for them because they are able to better gauge how many of the people with higher numbers have withdrawn their offers or expressed interest in the school since being accepted... since we are coming up on the time when people are starting to send in statements of intents, etc. they can hold out on sending acceptances to people more likely to accept the offer (161-164 LSATers) until the last minute so as to ensure they have the strongest class possible.

rrghwb

Postby rrghwb » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:06 pm

racmyers23 wrote:
rrghwb wrote:

I would think it is actually quite helpful for them because they are able to better gauge how many of the people with higher numbers have withdrawn their offers or expressed interest in the school since being accepted... since we are coming up on the time when people are starting to send in statements of intents, etc. they can hold out on sending acceptances to people more likely to accept the offer (161-164 LSATers) until the last minute so as to ensure they have the strongest class possible.

I would agree if it were likely that in the past month the 166+ have been actively confirming or denying interest in offers and WL. There are no deadlines or requirements (other than some WL, but I can't imagine Emory is WLing a significant number of 165+ at this point) to confirm or deny interest before the deposit deadline, so Emory isn't yet getting the kind of actionable feedback needed to predict their class composition.

What's more, almost all of Emory's peer schools are able to offer acceptances and rejections and WLs to below median students months before the typical deposit deadlines in April. It's not as though Emory needs to wait this long. It's odd that they choose to.

P.S. In fact, the most responsive feedback loop would actually be from below-median applicants. These applicants, who if admitted early in the cycle, are the most likely to put down an early deposit. It might make more sense to accept and WL the 161-164 in small doses throughout the cycle to gauge interest, rather than focusing on the 165+, who I can only imagine are less responsive because 1) they don't have to commit either way until deposit deadline and 2) many of them have their sights set on higher ranked schools, and are low probability matriculants anyways.

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:01 pm

Waitlisted

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”