Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jym_dawg
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby jym_dawg » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:06 pm

TheThriller wrote:
jym_dawg wrote:
TheThriller wrote:if you look on lst, Emory places ~10% more of it's graduates into firms 100+ than both UGA or Bama...


I'm looking at LST. The ABA data for c/o 2011 shows UGA placed 12 and change percent of its grads in firms with 100 or more lawyers. Emory placed 20 percent in 100+ firms. Emory at sticker costs 270k. UGA at sticker costs 150k. The question is whether that additional 8 percent chance is worth 120k. In my mind the answer is a pretty clear no. I didn't look up the numbers for Bama but I suspect the outcome would be similar.


my lst is showing 8.8% for UGA and Emory is showing 18.7%


Weird. Can't explain that discrepancy but my point still stands. 10% better shot at BigLaw ain't worth 120k.

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby TheThriller » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:08 pm

jym_dawg wrote:
TheThriller wrote:
jym_dawg wrote:
TheThriller wrote:if you look on lst, Emory places ~10% more of it's graduates into firms 100+ than both UGA or Bama...


I'm looking at LST. The ABA data for c/o 2011 shows UGA placed 12 and change percent of its grads in firms with 100 or more lawyers. Emory placed 20 percent in 100+ firms. Emory at sticker costs 270k. UGA at sticker costs 150k. The question is whether that additional 8 percent chance is worth 120k. In my mind the answer is a pretty clear no. I didn't look up the numbers for Bama but I suspect the outcome would be similar.


my lst is showing 8.8% for UGA and Emory is showing 18.7%


Weird. Can't explain that discrepancy but my point still stands. 10% better shot at BigLaw ain't worth 120k.


No I agree with you, I was just talking employment alone

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:14 pm

rrghwb wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Oh, I wasn't getting at anything other than I have an LSAT score above a 165 and applied before Halloween and haven't heard anything.


Not sure about the hostility here. No one said every 165+ has received a decision in a matter of days. The observation is that Emory has been almost exclusively responsive to 165+ and extremely unresponsive to 161-164. If you're 165+ and your GPA is reasonably high from a decent school, you should be fine.


You have a strange definition of hostile.

abc987
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:16 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby abc987 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:19 pm

rrghwb wrote:
abc987 wrote:There have been a few posts suggesting that Emory only sends decisions by snail mail.

I received acceptance with scholarship by email earlier today. In addition to the email body itself, they included a scan of the mailed letter. The nice thing about this approach is that it meant I also saw the scholarship offer at the same time, as opposed to other schools that send decisions by email but only send scholarship information by snail mail.

I know we're all eager and the waits can be stressful. Take a deep breath, relax, and know that you've done everything that can be done to show your accomplishments in the most positive light.


Agreed. One question for you though. Do you have better than a 165 lsat? Emory is very responsive with the 165+ crowd, who make up about 50% of their class. The frustration is that Emory takes its sweet time with the other half, the 161 to 164. I understand schools have to prioritize, but even BU, W&M and schools with similar stats were able to admit lower half LSATs back in January and February.


To answer your question, here is some detail about my numbers and dates for my Emory application:

Applied - March 1st.
Complete - March 4th.
Decision, Admitted - March 25th by email.
Scholarship - March 25th by email ($28,000/year).

LSAT: 166
GPA: N/A (Attended a college that did written evaluations instead of grades.)
Nontraditional (graduated 2004, working since then)
Out of state.

LSN Profile: lawschoolnumbers.com/ABC987

--------------------------

I meant to address just the part about whether Emory sends decisions by email or snail mail, so that is why I hadn't included any numbers or dates.

I understand being diligent in their decision making. I've only heard back from half the schools I applied to, and I am hanging on the edge of my seat for the others. But I know in my heart that constantly logging into the status checker and refreshing TLS is just making me think about it more, not relieving the experience of the wait. So, if you're able to, just focus on all the awesome stuff you wrote about in your applications and know that some of it might strike a cord.

hopingtogetin
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:59 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby hopingtogetin » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:32 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Oh, I wasn't getting at anything other than I have an LSAT score above a 165 and applied before Halloween and haven't heard anything.


Weird. Just to give you some idea, I have a 167/3.65 and I kept calling them like every week in February until they gave me a response and I sent them a LOCI. They responded in late February with an acceptance and a fair amount of scholarship money. I know you might not want to come off as irritating by calling admissions, but it worked for me haha

User avatar
sublime
Posts: 15419
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby sublime » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:43 pm

..

abc987
Posts: 61
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:16 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby abc987 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:11 pm

sublime wrote:Also, I found out through snail mail. Take it for what it is worth.


I think I'd have preferred to find out through snail mail if it meant I got your scholarship amount, the couple of thousand extra dollars would have been worth a few days of extra waiting. :-)

I just figured that including a scan of the letter by email was standard practice for them. I guess I should count myself lucky.

sirilu91
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby sirilu91 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:01 pm

Anyone hear anything today?

MrLawManRyan
Posts: 15
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:50 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby MrLawManRyan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:27 pm

sirilu91 wrote:Anyone hear anything today?


Nope. They are really going to drag it out until the last moment, aren't they? :-(

rrghwb
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby rrghwb » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:13 pm

MrLawManRyan wrote:
sirilu91 wrote:Anyone hear anything today?


Nope. They are really going to drag it out until the last moment, aren't they? :-(


Unless you're in the top 40% of their class--166+. Then you get premium treatment. The other 60% just have to wait it out.

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby teiswei » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:16 pm

rrghwb wrote:
MrLawManRyan wrote:
sirilu91 wrote:Anyone hear anything today?


Nope. They are really going to drag it out until the last moment, aren't they? :-(


Unless you're in the top 40% of their class--166+. Then you get premium treatment. The other 60% just have to wait it out.

I'm 165/3.3 and heard within a reasonable time and received a reasonable scholarship so this isn't necessarily true.

rrghwb
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:42 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby rrghwb » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:18 pm

teiswei wrote:
rrghwb wrote:
MrLawManRyan wrote:
sirilu91 wrote:Anyone hear anything today?


Nope. They are really going to drag it out until the last moment, aren't they? :-(


Unless you're in the top 40% of their class--166+. Then you get premium treatment. The other 60% just have to wait it out.

I'm 165/3.3 and heard within a reasonable time and received a reasonable scholarship so this isn't necessarily true.



Agreed, 165s have gotten pretty quick responses, too. the 161-164 crowd has had to learn patience

User avatar
boomlawyered
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:18 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby boomlawyered » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:28 pm

teiswei wrote:
rrghwb wrote:
MrLawManRyan wrote:
sirilu91 wrote:Anyone hear anything today?


Nope. They are really going to drag it out until the last moment, aren't they? :-(


Unless you're in the top 40% of their class--166+. Then you get premium treatment. The other 60% just have to wait it out.

I'm 165/3.3 and heard within a reasonable time and received a reasonable scholarship so this isn't necessarily true.


I'm 165+ and am still waiting-- can I ask about your scholarship? trying to weigh options (that might not exist)... before April 5.

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby teiswei » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:32 pm

boomlawyered wrote:I'm 165+ and am still waiting-- can I ask about your scholarship? trying to weigh options (that might not exist)... before April 5.

$69,000 with a "good standing" stip spread across 3 years. What are your numbers?

Full disclosure: I have above average softs including a grad degree from Northwestern.

meylanl
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby meylanl » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:47 pm

Anddddd I just got my ding. I didn't really want to move to ATL anyway :/

thecollege
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:44 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby thecollege » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:55 pm

Meylanl was that ding via snail mail or email? I'm tired of waiting on them for whatever they decide for me!

patricksouthern
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:12 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby patricksouthern » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:59 pm

rrghwb wrote:
MrLawManRyan wrote:
sirilu91 wrote:Anyone hear anything today?


Nope. They are really going to drag it out until the last moment, aren't they? :-(


Unless you're in the top 40% of their class--166+. Then you get premium treatment. The other 60% just have to wait it out.


Yeah, I've got a 168 and don't have a decision yet, so this theory isn't exactly credited.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:01 pm

meylanl wrote:Anddddd I just got my ding. I didn't really want to move to ATL anyway :/

I guess they're starting on these before WLs, then?

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:03 pm

I miss this thread

meylanl
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby meylanl » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:14 pm

Via e-mail. Was hoping that I'd been wait listed since my app went complete in December. Def frustrated that it took 3 months to get a ding.

Anyway, good luck to everyone!

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby teiswei » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:16 pm

cusenation wrote:I miss this thread

Come back. It's a refundable deposit at WUSTL

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:16 pm

teiswei wrote:
cusenation wrote:I miss this thread

Come back. It's a refundable deposit at WUSTL

LOL

pinkyandthebrain
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:25 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby pinkyandthebrain » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:18 pm

cusenation wrote:
teiswei wrote:
cusenation wrote:I miss this thread

Come back. It's a refundable deposit at WUSTL

LOL


I'm told by our "double eagles" that WUSTL is our biggest sports rival. So, Emory = D3 women swimming and diving NCCA champs. Suck it WUSTL!

pinkyandthebrain
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:25 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby pinkyandthebrain » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:34 pm

shaynislegend wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
rrghwb wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:It is hard to imagine a more annoying/agonizing admissions process then Emory. I am only using you for leverage, so please. Hurry up.


They've focused all of the attention so far on 166s and 167s. Emory is completely dependent on these people to keep their median LSAT up. More than most every other equivalent private school, Emory has a greater difference between 25%L and 50%L, and their GPAs are clearly lower. Emory is a bottom feeder, waiting to snap up the 166s and 167s that drift past other schools as February, March and April roll by. If a 167 applied to Emory today, he'd surely be accepted before noon tomorrow.

The result is that 50%+ of their incoming class is pissed off and exhausted by the time Emory starts paying attention to them, esp since there will be no scholarship money for mere 161s, 162s, 163s.

I don't know how I feel about this analysis.


I work at a firm in ATL as a paralegal, Emory is not held in a high regard for many of those reasons.


want to elaborate on this? I don't want to attend a law school that isn't held in high regard in its own market.[/quote]


My knowledge is limited, but from what has been said to me by the partners who did not attend Emory is that it is overpriced if your planning on staying and working in ATL. From the associate who just graduated from Emory, I was told "it is a nightmare, and I would suggest going somewhere else." These are their experiences and what I have been told. Everyone has different experiences and Emory obviously has a track record of success. If I got into Emory (unlikely) I would consider it because of its national reach, not for the ATL market.[/quote]


All I can say is look at the stats, stories of attorneys at one firm saying bad things about a law school is not something you should take into account (though, it is a fact that Emory is expensive when compared to UGA/GSU). As for the recent graduates, you have to remember that when these people applied to law school the extent of the market falling apart was not known. So a lot of people went thinking they were ordained for big law, and then it didn't happen, and there were people who were unhappy. The school has other issues as well, but for the most part I think the administration, particularly Dean Schapiro (he is a bit...quricky but a great professor who I do think wants to improve things for students), are moving things in the right direction.

gameface
Posts: 48
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:05 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby gameface » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:17 am

meylanl wrote:Via e-mail. Was hoping that I'd been wait listed since my app went complete in December. Def frustrated that it took 3 months to get a ding.

Anyway, good luck to everyone!


This sucks! On the brighter side, at least you aren't in purgatory anymore like the rest of us.

Best of luck.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 5 guests