Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
shaynislegend

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby shaynislegend » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:59 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
rrghwb wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:It is hard to imagine a more annoying/agonizing admissions process then Emory. I am only using you for leverage, so please. Hurry up.

They've focused all of the attention so far on 166s and 167s. Emory is completely dependent on these people to keep their median LSAT up. More than most every other equivalent private school, Emory has a greater difference between 25%L and 50%L, and their GPAs are clearly lower. Emory is a bottom feeder, waiting to snap up the 166s and 167s that drift past other schools as February, March and April roll by. If a 167 applied to Emory today, he'd surely be accepted before noon tomorrow.

The result is that 50%+ of their incoming class is pissed off and exhausted by the time Emory starts paying attention to them, esp since there will be no scholarship money for mere 161s, 162s, 163s.

I don't know how I feel about this analysis.

I work at a firm in ATL as a paralegal, Emory is not held in a high regard for many of those reasons.

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:01 pm

shaynislegend wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
rrghwb wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:It is hard to imagine a more annoying/agonizing admissions process then Emory. I am only using you for leverage, so please. Hurry up.

They've focused all of the attention so far on 166s and 167s. Emory is completely dependent on these people to keep their median LSAT up. More than most every other equivalent private school, Emory has a greater difference between 25%L and 50%L, and their GPAs are clearly lower. Emory is a bottom feeder, waiting to snap up the 166s and 167s that drift past other schools as February, March and April roll by. If a 167 applied to Emory today, he'd surely be accepted before noon tomorrow.

The result is that 50%+ of their incoming class is pissed off and exhausted by the time Emory starts paying attention to them, esp since there will be no scholarship money for mere 161s, 162s, 163s.

I work at a firm in ATL as a paralegal, Emory is not held in a high regard for many of those reasons.

want to elaborate on this? I don't want to attend a law school that isn't held in high regard in its own market.

JXander

Postby JXander » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:04 pm

TheThriller wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
rrghwb wrote:

want to elaborate on this? I don't want to attend a law school that isn't held in high regard in its own market.

+1...

shaynislegend

Postby shaynislegend » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:07 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
rrghwb wrote:

I work at a firm in ATL as a paralegal, Emory is not held in a high regard for many of those reasons.[/quote]

want to elaborate on this? I don't want to attend a law school that isn't held in high regard in its own market.[/quote]

My knowledge is limited, but from what has been said to me by the partners who did not attend Emory is that it is overpriced if your planning on staying and working in ATL. From the associate who just graduated from Emory, I was told "it is a nightmare, and I would suggest going somewhere else." These are their experiences and what I have been told. Everyone has different experiences and Emory obviously has a track record of success. If I got into Emory (unlikely) I would consider it because of its national reach, not for the ATL market.

gatorgirl2012

Postby gatorgirl2012 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:08 pm

honestly, any conjectures at this point--regardless of how rational and well-thought-out they may be--are useless. we are so far off the grid with this cycle, particularly with the t30 schools.

rrghwb

Postby rrghwb » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:08 pm

shaynislegend wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
rrghwb wrote:

want to elaborate on this? I don't want to attend a law school that isn't held in high regard in its own market.[/quote]

My knowledge is limited, but from what has been said to me by the partners who did not attend Emory is that it is overpriced if your planning on staying and working in ATL. From the associate who just graduated from Emory, I was told "it is a nightmare, and I would suggest going somewhere else." These are their experiences and what I have been told. Everyone has different experiences and Emory obviously has a track record of success. If I got into Emory (unlikely) I would consider it because of its national reach, not for the ATL market.[/quote]

It's pretty clear that Emory's job placement stats aren't great, and that there's a steep drop off from UCLA/USC/Vandy to Emory, but it seems Emory would at least be pretty competitive in Atlanta.

shaynislegend

Postby shaynislegend » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:13 pm

I am not trying to damper anyone who has been accepted and choosing to study at Emory. My vendetta is with the snail mailers who make admissions miserable, not with Emory in particular.

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:18 pm

shaynislegend wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
rrghwb wrote:

My knowledge is limited, but from what has been said to me by the partners who did not attend Emory is that it is overpriced if your planning on staying and working in ATL. From the associate who just graduated from Emory, I was told "it is a nightmare, and I would suggest going somewhere else." These are their experiences and what I have been told. Everyone has different experiences and Emory obviously has a track record of success. If I got into Emory (unlikely) I would consider it because of its national reach, not for the ATL market.

Spoiler: Emory doesn't have a national reach. It doesn't even place that well in Atl biglaw.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:20 pm

its employment is better than most of its peers, I will say that.

these comments are making me second guess Emory though..

shaynislegend

Postby shaynislegend » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:25 pm

TheThriller wrote:its employment is better than most of its peers, I will say that.

Not my intent. If you like the big city, enjoy the south and you are getting your education at a reasonable price then consider Emory. Law school isn't going to be fun, chances are the only way we will survive is if we go somewhere we actually like.

rrghwb

Postby rrghwb » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:26 pm

TheThriller wrote:its employment is better than most of its peers, I will say that.

Depends on how you define "peer". And of course so much of job placement has to do with class ranking. I haven't thought about this comparison that much, so don't hold me to it, but I think I'd rather be in the top 20% at BU than top 20% at Emory. With that said, however, I'd rather be bottom third at Emory than bottom third at BU.

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:27 pm

I think a lot of people would disagree that its employment prospects are better than its peers, but in any case, it also costs far more than its peers. Compare the cost to Bama or UGA, for example. And if you can get a scholarship from Emory, I'd bet you could get just as good a deal from the other two. And then there's also the question of who its peers are.

rrghwb

Postby rrghwb » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:30 pm

jym_dawg wrote:

I think a lot of people would disagree that its employment prospects are better than its peers, but in any case, it also costs far more than its peers. Compare the cost to Bama or UGA, for example. And if you can get a scholarship from Emory, I'd bet you could get just as good a deal from the other two. And then there's also the question of who its peers are.

exactly what I'm thinking

shaynislegend

Postby shaynislegend » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:31 pm

jym_dawg wrote:

Emory, Vandy, Wake.

Ya gotta kill one, screw one, and marry one. Go!

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:33 pm

if you look on lst, Emory places ~10% more of it's graduates into firms 100+ than both UGA or Bama...

abc987

Postby abc987 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:39 pm

There have been a few posts suggesting that Emory only sends decisions by snail mail.

I received acceptance with scholarship by email earlier today. In addition to the email body itself, they included a scan of the mailed letter. The nice thing about this approach is that it meant I also saw the scholarship offer at the same time, as opposed to other schools that send decisions by email but only send scholarship information by snail mail.

I know we're all eager and the waits can be stressful. Take a deep breath, relax, and know that you've done everything that can be done to show your accomplishments in the most positive light.

rrghwb

Postby rrghwb » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:47 pm

abc987 wrote:There have been a few posts suggesting that Emory only sends decisions by snail mail.

I received acceptance with scholarship by email earlier today. In addition to the email body itself, they included a scan of the mailed letter. The nice thing about this approach is that it meant I also saw the scholarship offer at the same time, as opposed to other schools that send decisions by email but only send scholarship information by snail mail.

I know we're all eager and the waits can be stressful. Take a deep breath, relax, and know that you've done everything that can be done to show your accomplishments in the most positive light.

Agreed. One question for you though. Do you have better than a 165 lsat? Emory is very responsive with the 165+ crowd, who make up about 50% of their class. The frustration is that Emory takes its sweet time with the other half, the 161 to 164. I understand schools have to prioritize, but even BU, W&M and schools with similar stats were able to admit lower half LSATs back in January and February.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:49 pm

rrghwb wrote:
abc987 wrote:There have been a few posts suggesting that Emory only sends decisions by snail mail.

Agreed. One question for you though. Do you have better than a 165 lsat? Emory is very responsive with the 165+ crowd, who make up about 50% of their class. The frustration is that Emory takes its sweet time with the other half, the 161 to 164. I understand schools have to prioritize, but even BU, W&M and schools with similar stats were able to admit lower half LSATs back in January and February.

NOT TRUE

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:50 pm

are all the people negging Emory's rep and employment ITT people still waiting on acceptances?

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:53 pm

TheThriller wrote:if you look on lst, Emory places ~10% more of it's graduates into firms 100+ than both UGA or Bama...

I'm looking at LST. The ABA data for c/o 2011 shows UGA placed 12 and change percent of its grads in firms with 100 or more lawyers. Emory placed 20 percent in 100+ firms. Emory at sticker costs 270k. UGA at sticker costs 150k. The question is whether that additional 8 percent chance is worth 120k. In my mind the answer is a pretty clear no. I didn't look up the numbers for Bama but I suspect the outcome would be similar.

rrghwb

Postby rrghwb » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:56 pm

TheThriller wrote:are all the people negging Emory's rep and employment ITT people still waiting on acceptances?

No, I didn't apply this cycle. I've been working in consulting for a few years, thinking about law school and maybe moving south. This is all homework for me. And I'm not that negative about Emory. If decide to go for law school and my numbers are where I think they'll be, Emory will be high on my list.

TheThriller

Postby TheThriller » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:58 pm

jym_dawg wrote:
TheThriller wrote:if you look on lst, Emory places ~10% more of it's graduates into firms 100+ than both UGA or Bama...

I'm looking at LST. The ABA data for c/o 2011 shows UGA placed 12 and change percent of its grads in firms with 100 or more lawyers. Emory placed 20 percent in 100+ firms. Emory at sticker costs 270k. UGA at sticker costs 150k. The question is whether that additional 8 percent chance is worth 120k. In my mind the answer is a pretty clear no. I didn't look up the numbers for Bama but I suspect the outcome would be similar.

my lst is showing 8.8% for UGA and Emory is showing 18.7%

rrghwb

Postby rrghwb » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:01 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
rrghwb wrote:

NOT TRUE

I'm not sure what you're getting at here. If LSN is at all reflective of Emory's activity so far, then the school has issued responses almost exclusively to people who, if enrolled, would make up the top 40% to 50% of the class by LSAT. Most other T30 schools have been much more responsive to applicants who, if enrolled, would rank from top to bottom by LSAT.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:03 pm

Oh, I wasn't getting at anything other than I have an LSAT score above a 165 and applied before Halloween and haven't heard anything.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”