Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
goprincess
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:27 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby goprincess » Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:06 am

In via snail mail yesterday with 75K!

:D :D :D

User avatar
gatorlaw55
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:14 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby gatorlaw55 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:46 pm

still haven't heard anything.. out of curiosity, is it too soon to start sending an LOCI? or do you have to wait to be on the official waitlist to send this?

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby nba101790 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:50 pm

gatorlaw55 wrote:still haven't heard anything.. out of curiosity, is it too soon to start sending an LOCI? or do you have to wait to be on the official waitlist to send this?



I sent one this week...submitted mid-Jan.

WaltWhite
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby WaltWhite » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:41 am

So I'm really debating applying to Emory. I'm just not interested in making $101+ disappear.
GPA: 3.72 (2 B.A.'s)
LSAT: 158 (yeah... I know)

I think I have above average softs/background: Worked 3 jobs through senior year to pay my way through college while pulling in a 4.0, Outstanding Undergraduate Woman award from my university, internship with U.S. Senator, study abroad in Russia, HUGE campus involvement including Student Government (Judicial Board) and an organization I founded myself.

If I do apply, I'm going to write a statement about how Emory's JD/REES (Russia Eastern European Studies) really makes me hot and bothered, as I want to potentially study international business (mergers and acquisitions) with an emphasis on American-Russian business.

Basically, I'm worried my LSAT score will make the admissions committee laugh/yell WOMP WOMP.
And I've looked at the TLS data--still on the fence.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:11 am

WaltWhite wrote:So I'm really debating applying to Emory. I'm just not interested in making $101+ disappear.
GPA: 3.72 (2 B.A.'s)
LSAT: 158 (yeah... I know)

I think I have above average softs/background: Worked 3 jobs through senior year to pay my way through college while pulling in a 4.0, Outstanding Undergraduate Woman award from my university, internship with U.S. Senator, study abroad in Russia, HUGE campus involvement including Student Government (Judicial Board) and an organization I founded myself.

If I do apply, I'm going to write a statement about how Emory's JD/REES (Russia Eastern European Studies) really makes me hot and bothered, as I want to potentially study international business (mergers and acquisitions) with an emphasis on American-Russian business.

Basically, I'm worried my LSAT score will make the admissions committee laugh/yell WOMP WOMP.
And I've looked at the TLS data--still on the fence.


I agree that the LSAT is a little low, but your GPA and softs are pretty strong. If you're going to apply, I would strongly recommend doing it soon since it's already March

WaltWhite
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:17 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby WaltWhite » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:35 am

cusenation wrote:
WaltWhite wrote:So I'm really debating applying to Emory. I'm just not interested in making $101+ disappear.
GPA: 3.72 (2 B.A.'s)
LSAT: 158 (yeah... I know)

I think I have above average softs/background: Worked 3 jobs through senior year to pay my way through college while pulling in a 4.0, Outstanding Undergraduate Woman award from my university, internship with U.S. Senator, study abroad in Russia, HUGE campus involvement including Student Government (Judicial Board) and an organization I founded myself.

If I do apply, I'm going to write a statement about how Emory's JD/REES (Russia Eastern European Studies) really makes me hot and bothered, as I want to potentially study international business (mergers and acquisitions) with an emphasis on American-Russian business.

Basically, I'm worried my LSAT score will make the admissions committee laugh/yell WOMP WOMP.
And I've looked at the TLS data--still on the fence.


I agree that the LSAT is a little low, but your GPA and softs are pretty strong. If you're going to apply, I would strongly recommend doing it soon since it's already March



I looked into the Law School Transparency profile, and apparently Emory has experienced an above-average drop in applicants and class size; thus, their median LSAT scores have somewhat softened. Their 2011 cycle 25th percentile LSAT was a 159, if I read the site's data correctly. Dim hope?

However, they have a "f*&^ you" attitude towards LSAT Score addendums, so the anxiety is restored.
I'm pretty sure I can write a bangin' "Why Emory" addendum though. Perhaps my ending salutation shall be something like: I don't normally write love letters to law schools, but when I do, they're to Emory. Followed by "desperate" written in seductive script.

ramsdancer1
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:56 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby ramsdancer1 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:19 am

WaltWhite wrote:So I'm really debating applying to Emory. I'm just not interested in making $101+ disappear.
GPA: 3.72 (2 B.A.'s)
LSAT: 158 (yeah... I know)

I think I have above average softs/background: Worked 3 jobs through senior year to pay my way through college while pulling in a 4.0, Outstanding Undergraduate Woman award from my university, internship with U.S. Senator, study abroad in Russia, HUGE campus involvement including Student Government (Judicial Board) and an organization I founded myself.

If I do apply, I'm going to write a statement about how Emory's JD/REES (Russia Eastern European Studies) really makes me hot and bothered, as I want to potentially study international business (mergers and acquisitions) with an emphasis on American-Russian business.

Basically, I'm worried my LSAT score will make the admissions committee laugh/yell WOMP WOMP.
And I've looked at the TLS data--still on the fence.

Are you a URM? URM's on here with a LSAT score lower than you and a little higher GPA said they got in. That being said, even if you aren't a URM, that still shows you have a chance and that you might not be rejected just b/c of numbers. Best of luck! But if you apply, I'd do it ASAP.

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby nba101790 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:20 am

Interesting that looking at Law School Numbers, Emory hasn't accepted anyone below a 165 and below a 3.7 this year or last. This can't be tenable as these are basically their median numbers, right? Asking as someone a point below on both ends...

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:22 am

nba101790 wrote:Interesting that looking at Law School Numbers, Emory hasn't accepted anyone below a 165 and below a 3.7 this year or last. This can't be tenable as these are basically their median numbers, right? Asking as someone a point below on both ends...



Do you mean below 165 OR below 3.7? Because I have a below a 3.7 and i was admitted...But then again, I don't post my stats on LSN

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:24 am

nba101790 wrote:Interesting that looking at Law School Numbers, Emory hasn't accepted anyone below a 165 and below a 3.7 this year or last. This can't be tenable as these are basically their median numbers, right? Asking as someone a point below on both ends...

Do you mean they have not selected anyone with a score below either the GPA or LSAT?

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby nba101790 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:24 am

Both, from the graphs I saw. I have a 164/3.6 and figured I should have an offhand shot at Emory, but I don't see one single person who's gotten in with below both medians. But, that doesn't seem possible given the definition of median numbers.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:25 am

nba101790 wrote:Both, from the graphs I saw. I have a 164/3.6 and figured I should have an offhand shot at Emory, but I don't see one single person who's gotten in with below both medians. But, that doesn't seem possible given the definition of median numbers.


Well i wouldn't worry. Plenty of ppl, including me, don't post their stats on LSN. I'm below 3.7 and I got in. And you're right, it's not feasible for Emory to draw the line there anyway

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby nba101790 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:26 am

cusenation wrote:
nba101790 wrote:Both, from the graphs I saw. I have a 164/3.6 and figured I should have an offhand shot at Emory, but I don't see one single person who's gotten in with below both medians. But, that doesn't seem possible given the definition of median numbers.


Well i wouldn't worry. Plenty of ppl, including me, don't post their stats on LSN. I'm below 3.7 and I got in. And you're right, it's not feasible for Emory to draw the line there anyway



You're likely right, thanks. The numbers are just surprising. I'm taking a trip down there next week and Dean Rosenzweig has been very nice in correspondence, so I'm hoping for a straight acceptance over a WL.

BigZuck
Posts: 10872
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:53 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby BigZuck » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:35 pm

WaltWhite wrote:So I'm really debating applying to Emory. I'm just not interested in making $101+ disappear.
GPA: 3.72 (2 B.A.'s)
LSAT: 158 (yeah... I know)

I think I have above average softs/background: Worked 3 jobs through senior year to pay my way through college while pulling in a 4.0, Outstanding Undergraduate Woman award from my university, internship with U.S. Senator, study abroad in Russia, HUGE campus involvement including Student Government (Judicial Board) and an organization I founded myself.

If I do apply, I'm going to write a statement about how Emory's JD/REES (Russia Eastern European Studies) really makes me hot and bothered, as I want to potentially study international business (mergers and acquisitions) with an emphasis on American-Russian business.


Basically, I'm worried my LSAT score will make the admissions committee laugh/yell WOMP WOMP.
And I've looked at the TLS data--still on the fence.


If you really want international law then I don't think a school that primarily places grads into the American south is going to do the trick. You need to retake and go to HYS if you want to have a shot at that kind of work.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:22 pm

BigZuck wrote:
WaltWhite wrote:So I'm really debating applying to Emory. I'm just not interested in making $101+ disappear.
GPA: 3.72 (2 B.A.'s)
LSAT: 158 (yeah... I know)

I think I have above average softs/background: Worked 3 jobs through senior year to pay my way through college while pulling in a 4.0, Outstanding Undergraduate Woman award from my university, internship with U.S. Senator, study abroad in Russia, HUGE campus involvement including Student Government (Judicial Board) and an organization I founded myself.

If I do apply, I'm going to write a statement about how Emory's JD/REES (Russia Eastern European Studies) really makes me hot and bothered, as I want to potentially study international business (mergers and acquisitions) with an emphasis on American-Russian business.


Basically, I'm worried my LSAT score will make the admissions committee laugh/yell WOMP WOMP.
And I've looked at the TLS data--still on the fence.


If you really want international law then I don't think a school that primarily places grads into the American south is going to do the trick. You need to retake and go to HYS if you want to have a shot at that kind of work.


I agree to a certain extent...but I think fluency in Russian will ultimately mitigate any concerns about school prestige for Russian-American business. There are very few law grads who are culturally/linguistically fluent with other cultures..I think language fluency/grades would take precedence over pedigree. That said, going to a more prestigious school might expose you to more firms that even deal with that kind of work. I doubt there are many Southern firms that deal with Russia..

User avatar
lawhopeful10
Posts: 984
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:29 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby lawhopeful10 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:36 pm

cusenation wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
WaltWhite wrote:So I'm really debating applying to Emory. I'm just not interested in making $101+ disappear.
GPA: 3.72 (2 B.A.'s)
LSAT: 158 (yeah... I know)

I think I have above average softs/background: Worked 3 jobs through senior year to pay my way through college while pulling in a 4.0, Outstanding Undergraduate Woman award from my university, internship with U.S. Senator, study abroad in Russia, HUGE campus involvement including Student Government (Judicial Board) and an organization I founded myself.

If I do apply, I'm going to write a statement about how Emory's JD/REES (Russia Eastern European Studies) really makes me hot and bothered, as I want to potentially study international business (mergers and acquisitions) with an emphasis on American-Russian business.


Basically, I'm worried my LSAT score will make the admissions committee laugh/yell WOMP WOMP.
And I've looked at the TLS data--still on the fence.


If you really want international law then I don't think a school that primarily places grads into the American south is going to do the trick. You need to retake and go to HYS if you want to have a shot at that kind of work.


This, if you want to do m&a you need to attend a school that places more than 20ish% of people in biglaw. Retake for the t14 and then search for firms that have offices in Russia although from what I have seen in other situations you need to be comfortable living there for that to be a realistic possibility anyway.

muhami
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby muhami » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:38 pm

Checking in with 54k scholly
Last edited by muhami on Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
gatorlaw55
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:14 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby gatorlaw55 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:39 pm

In with a $45k scholly! :) :)

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby nba101790 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:40 pm

gatorlaw55 wrote:In with a $45k scholly! :) :)


Congrats!

Numbers/mail already?

sirilu91
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:35 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby sirilu91 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Congrats! By snail mail or email?!

pinkyandthebrain
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:25 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby pinkyandthebrain » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:41 pm

WaltWhite wrote:I looked into the Law School Transparency profile, and apparently Emory has experienced an above-average drop in applicants and class size; thus, their median LSAT scores have somewhat softened. Their 2011 cycle 25th percentile LSAT was a 159, if I read the site's data correctly. Dim hope?

However, they have a "f*&^ you" attitude towards LSAT Score addendums, so the anxiety is restored.
I'm pretty sure I can write a bangin' "Why Emory" addendum though. Perhaps my ending salutation shall be something like: I don't normally write love letters to law schools, but when I do, they're to Emory. Followed by "desperate" written in seductive script.


Huh? I have no idea where you are getting your information from. Emory increased its class size from 246 to 253 last year while improving the 25% lsat to a 162? (or something like that too lazy to look up). There applications were down less than 1% last year and are down about 3% this year.

nba101790
Posts: 475
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby nba101790 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:42 pm

pinkyandthebrain wrote:
WaltWhite wrote:I looked into the Law School Transparency profile, and apparently Emory has experienced an above-average drop in applicants and class size; thus, their median LSAT scores have somewhat softened. Their 2011 cycle 25th percentile LSAT was a 159, if I read the site's data correctly. Dim hope?

However, they have a "f*&^ you" attitude towards LSAT Score addendums, so the anxiety is restored.
I'm pretty sure I can write a bangin' "Why Emory" addendum though. Perhaps my ending salutation shall be something like: I don't normally write love letters to law schools, but when I do, they're to Emory. Followed by "desperate" written in seductive script.


Huh? I have no idea where you are getting your information from. Emory increased its class size from 246 to 253 last year while improving the 25% lsat to a 162? (or something like that too lazy to look up). There applications were down less than 1% last year and are down about 3% this year.


Oh yeah?

User avatar
gatorlaw55
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:14 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby gatorlaw55 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:10 pm

.
Last edited by gatorlaw55 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:15 pm

gatorlaw55 wrote:
sirilu91 wrote:sirilu91

Post subject: Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle) Reply with quote
Congrats! By snail mail or email?!


I actually called today to find out where I can send an LOCI to and the admissions person decided to check my status to see if I even needed to send one. She said they had already mailed me their decision but would re-mail it and send me another copy via email right away. I was worried it would be a ding when I opened it but was so surprised by it.

The letter they emailed me was dated 2/28 so it was just sent late last week. 3.9 GPA, 158 LSAT with strong softs


+1
Congrats!

There you go Walt White, there's some hope!

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:15 pm

Emory is loving the splitters this cycle...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”