Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
atlgirl51

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby atlgirl51 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Did anyone receive the financial aid email and then get denied?

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:53 pm

In via email today!!!!!!

Perhaps in light of all of the mail issues, and the fact that they've been getting phone calls and emails from us, they'll start doing more email acceptances.

$54k scholarship with "good standing" stipulation. This is a little less than I was hoping for, but hot damn, I'm overjoyed!

(I'm a reverse splitter - LSAT in 25% bracket but GPA is well above their 75% bracket. Non-URM... )

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:53 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:In via email today!!!!!!

Perhaps in light of all of the mail issues, and the fact that they've been getting phone calls and emails from us, they'll start doing more email acceptances.

$54k scholarship with "good standing" stipulation. This is a little less than I was hoping for, but hot damn, I'm overjoyed!

(I'm a reverse splitter - LSAT in 25% bracket but GPA is well above their 75% bracket. Non-URM... )

FINALLY! Congrats!

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:58 pm

cusenation wrote:

FINALLY! Congrats!

Thanks so much!!!

And I got a new car last weekend - a nice, used (but clean) sturdy Volvo, which is built like a tank. Things are definitely looking up!

ramsdancer1

Postby ramsdancer1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Congrats! When did you submit? Also, did you get that email everyone was talking about? I'm the same stats as you but I am a URM. God this wait is killing me.

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:05 pm

ramsdancer1 wrote:

Congrats! When did you submit? Also, did you get that email everyone was talking about? I'm the same stats as you but I am a URM. God this wait is killing me.

I went complete the end of November because I was waiting on an LOR. No, I did not get the financial aid email that others had been referring to - and it was eating me alive. I know it's hard to be patient, but I believe good things will be in store for you as well :)

ramsdancer1

Postby ramsdancer1 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:06 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:
ramsdancer1 wrote:

I went complete the end of November because I was waiting on an LOR. No, I did not get the financial aid email that others had been referring to - and it was eating me alive. I know it's hard to be patient, but I believe good things will be in store for you as well :)

Thanks! I went complete in the beginning of Dec so hopefully it won't be too much longer. Congrats again! Do you think you are going to attend Emory?

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:09 pm

ramsdancer1 wrote:
LittleBlueBird wrote:
ramsdancer1 wrote:

Thanks! I went complete in the beginning of Dec so hopefully it won't be too much longer. Congrats again! Do you think you are going to attend Emory?

I'm leaning towards it, super hard. It's my top choice and my dream school. I have to do more thinking about the post-grad overload of debt, but I want to be happy with the degree I get. Would I rather have $100k in debt from a school that I'm 'meh' about, or $150k in debt from a school I love?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:51 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:
I'm leaning towards it, super hard. It's my top choice and my dream school. I have to do more thinking about the post-grad overload of debt, but I want to be happy with the degree I get. Would I rather have $100k in debt from a school that I'm 'meh' about, or $150k in debt from a school I love?

How much better are the job prospects at this "meh" school?

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:35 pm

cusenation wrote:
LittleBlueBird wrote:

They aren't better. At all. They're 2nd tier as well. I really want to teach in the future, as well, and the clout of your last alma mater weighs heavy in that career path.

For what I'm doing now, it's all about networking. In my field, the only better places for me to be would be LA or Nashville, and I want to attend school in neither of those places.
Last edited by LittleBlueBird on Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:43 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:
cusenation wrote:
LittleBlueBird wrote:

They aren't better. At all. They're 2nd tier as well. I really want to teach in the future, as well, and the clout of your last alma matter ways heavy in that career path.

For what I'm doing, it's all about networking. In my field, the only better places for me to be would be LA or Nashville, and I want to attend school in neither of those places.

If the prospects are that much worse...than saving 50K isn't worth it. 100k and 150k are both large amounts. Yes 50k is no small number...but i would rather be 150k in debt with a job versus 100k without one. Obviously the threshold of tolerable debt will depend on the person and etc...but since you love Emory that much more..and it has better job placement..i think an extra 50k would be worth it in this situation. Just my two cents =)

Full disclosure: I usually advocate that people take the money and minimize debt as much as they can, I try and follow that as well. But that's usually in the context of T30 vs. T14, where both groups give you acceptable job placement. If it's between a T30 and T2...then I think you need to consider the big drop-off in job opportunities

Tommycopeland

Postby Tommycopeland » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:03 am

It's really great to see so many applicants receiving acceptances! I've heard through the TLS grapevine that Emory admissions counselors weight considerably their decisions on the "balance" of the applicant; whereas other school's may only claim to be holistic in their approach, Emory actually is. I'm applying with a frustratingly low GPA and slightly above average LSAT, neither of which I believe truly reflect my abilities, and I know a lot of others on these boards can relate (I worked full-time through undergrad and while studying/applying for LSAT and law schools.)

So, here's to hoping Emory is a school that can see the applicant for who they are and who they can be beyond standarized numbers!!

All the best to everyone who is still waiting and congrats to those matriculating in the fall!

JXander

Postby JXander » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:05 am

Tommycopeland wrote:It's really great to see so many applicants receiving acceptances! I've heard through the TLS grapevine that Emory admissions counselors weight considerably their decisions on the "balance" of the applicant; whereas other school's may only claim to be holistic in their approach, Emory actually is. I'm applying with a frustratingly low GPA and slightly above average LSAT, neither of which I believe truly reflect my abilities, and I know a lot of others on these boards can relate (I worked full-time through undergrad and while studying/applying for LSAT and law schools.)

So, here's to hoping Emory is a school that can see the applicant for who they are and who they can be beyond standarized numbers!!

All the best to everyone who is still waiting and congrats to those matriculating in the fall!

They also gave a lot of preference to URMs and those who applied particularly early. Do you fit these, maybe?

Tommycopeland

Postby Tommycopeland » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:10 am

JXander wrote:
Tommycopeland wrote:It's really great to see so many applicants receiving acceptances! I've heard through the TLS grapevine that Emory admissions counselors weight considerably their decisions on the "balance" of the applicant; whereas other school's may only claim to be holistic in their approach, Emory actually is. I'm applying with a frustratingly low GPA and slightly above average LSAT, neither of which I believe truly reflect my abilities, and I know a lot of others on these boards can relate (I worked full-time through undergrad and while studying/applying for LSAT and law schools.)

They also gave a lot of preference to URMs and those who applied particularly early. Do you fit these, maybe?

I heard that as well. I do not fit either, but I do believe I'm a strong applicant in many other ways. Fingers crossed!

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:26 am

Good luck to you! +1 to the frustratingly low GPA part..i can definitely sympathize! I'm assuming you wrote some kind of addendum to address why you think the metrics underestimate your potential, so I hope that helps. I'm not sure how "holistic" Emory is vs other schools..and i'm sure everyone will have a different take on the issue depending on how cynical they are...but FWIW Emory did take several months to evaluate the entire applicant pool before making decisions..as opposed to accepting the candidates with higher numbers as they come in (as is typical at other schools).

Hope there's some good news coming your way 8)

JXander

Postby JXander » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:34 am

Has Emory sent any dings or WLs out yet?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am

JXander wrote:Has Emory sent any dings or WLs out yet?

I don't think so. I'm expecting mine in the next few weeks. In the past, it looks like they only sent out acceptances, and then a huge round of dings/wl's in March along with some more acceptances.

gonnaknow

Postby gonnaknow » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:43 am

in with 81K. is emory open to negotiate?

anonstudent

Postby anonstudent » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:14 am

gonnaknow wrote:in with 81K. is emory open to negotiate?

NO!
NO!
NO!

JXander

Postby JXander » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:54 am

anonstudent wrote:

NO!
NO!
NO!

For real???

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:57 am

JXander wrote:
anonstudent wrote:

NO!
NO!
NO!

For real???

Any school will be open to negotiate if it comes to it. I love Emory but any school outside of HYS is gonna have to negotiate at some point

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:17 am

http://www.law.umich.edu/financialaid/debtwizard/Pages/default.aspx

Fairly useful debt calculator tool released by UMichigan. Breaks down your likely scenarios based on debt, employment outcome, and metro

pinkyandthebrain

Postby pinkyandthebrain » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:41 am

cusenation wrote:
JXander wrote:
anonstudent wrote:

NO!
NO!
NO!

For real???

Any school will be open to negotiate if it comes to it. I love Emory but any school outside of HYS is gonna have to negotiate at some point

You can think this is true, but there are some schools that have a policy of not negotiating. Emory (like Notre Dame, and maybe W&L) is one of these schools.

Everyone should still give it a try (you never know if the policy will be put aside because of the changing landscape in law school admissions).

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:14 pm

Interesting update... just received the Financial Aid email. It says that they received my FAFSA. Funny.... I haven't submitted one for this year yet (of my own lazy folly).

A little premature, I'd say.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:31 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:Interesting update... just received the Financial Aid email. It says that they received my FAFSA. Funny.... I haven't submitted one for this year yet (of my own lazy folly).

A little premature, I'd say.

I got the same thing a few weeks ago...i had assumed it was cuz my sister listed me on her FAFSA to Emory's undergrad...but none of her other schools contacted me like that, so I was confused

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”