Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hopingtogetin
Posts: 78
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:59 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby hopingtogetin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:39 am

So, I called Emory the other day to check my application status and they sounded shocked and said "wait? you don't know? We sent you a letter weeks ago!" My university is notorious for losing mail, and Emory wouldn't tell me my decision over the phone or by e-mail. What do I do here?

User avatar
2012Lsatscore
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:03 am

.
Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:13 am

hopingtogetin wrote:So, I called Emory the other day to check my application status and they sounded shocked and said "wait? you don't know? We sent you a letter weeks ago!" My university is notorious for losing mail, and Emory wouldn't tell me my decision over the phone or by e-mail. What do I do here?

Wow, that's crazy. If they want to stick to their hard-copy-acceptance-notification policy, they might consider sending emails out two weeks after they mail the official letter.

I wonder when/if they'll do a Facebook group...

pinkyandthebrain
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:25 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby pinkyandthebrain » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:29 am

JXander wrote:
hopingtogetin wrote:So, I called Emory the other day to check my application status and they sounded shocked and said "wait? you don't know? We sent you a letter weeks ago!" My university is notorious for losing mail, and Emory wouldn't tell me my decision over the phone or by e-mail. What do I do here?

Wow, that's crazy. If they want to stick to their hard-copy-acceptance-notification policy, they might consider sending emails out two weeks after they mail the official letter.

I wonder when/if they'll do a Facebook group...


FB group only came for students who deposited last year.

Also,for anyone interested- the number of applications to Emory law are down about 3% from last year.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:30 am

pinkyandthebrain wrote:
JXander wrote:
hopingtogetin wrote:So, I called Emory the other day to check my application status and they sounded shocked and said "wait? you don't know? We sent you a letter weeks ago!" My university is notorious for losing mail, and Emory wouldn't tell me my decision over the phone or by e-mail. What do I do here?

Wow, that's crazy. If they want to stick to their hard-copy-acceptance-notification policy, they might consider sending emails out two weeks after they mail the official letter.

I wonder when/if they'll do a Facebook group...


FB group only came for students who deposited last year.

Also,for anyone interested- the number of applications to Emory law are down about 3% from last year.


The school makes its own official FB group? That's kinda cool. Is 3% a lot? I have no idea..but it sounds pretty negligible compared to the double-digit decrease for law schools in general.

jym_dawg
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby jym_dawg » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:43 am

There's probably a larger decline in the number of qualified applicants.

User avatar
Dream Weave
Posts: 268
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:31 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Dream Weave » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:45 am

jym_dawg wrote:There's probably a larger decline in the number of qualified applicants.


+ 1

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:54 am

Dream Weave wrote:
jym_dawg wrote:There's probably a larger decline in the number of qualified applicants.


+ 1


Do you guys think that Emory's yield rate for higher-number candidates will be worse or better? I feel like debt averse applicants between 166-171 might prefer a lower debt burden at Emory versus sticker at a T14 since their numbers probably won't yield very generous schollies from those schools, especially for splitters.

patricksouthern
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:12 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby patricksouthern » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:59 am

cusenation wrote:
Dream Weave wrote:
jym_dawg wrote:There's probably a larger decline in the number of qualified applicants.


+ 1


Do you guys think that Emory's yield rate for higher-number candidates will be worse or better? I feel like debt averse applicants between 166-171 might prefer a lower debt burden at Emory versus sticker at a T14 since their numbers probably won't yield very generous schollies from those schools, especially for splitters.


I'm a splitter in that range and haven't even gotten an admissions decision yet, let alone a scholarship.

pinkyandthebrain
Posts: 26
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:25 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby pinkyandthebrain » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:01 am

jym_dawg wrote:There's probably a larger decline in the number of qualified applicants.


I'm sure the has been a change. Here is what was included in an email from Dean Schapiro sent out yesterday:

Law School Recruitment Trends
While media reports indicate that law school application volumes are trending downward by more than 20%, Emory Law has remained largely unaffected by this national trend. At present, our application volume is down only about 3%, and the quality of our applicants remains strong. The fact that we are able to sustain these numbers in a challenging climate is a testament to the quality of the community that you have helped us to build here at the law school.


Obviously, like all things said by law school administrators, it must be taken with a grain of salt.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:06 am

pinkyandthebrain wrote:
jym_dawg wrote:There's probably a larger decline in the number of qualified applicants.


I'm sure the has been a change. Here is what was included in an email from Dean Schapiro sent out yesterday:

Law School Recruitment Trends
While media reports indicate that law school application volumes are trending downward by more than 20%, Emory Law has remained largely unaffected by this national trend. At present, our application volume is down only about 3%, and the quality of our applicants remains strong. The fact that we are able to sustain these numbers in a challenging climate is a testament to the quality of the community that you have helped us to build here at the law school.

Obviously, like all things said by law school administrators, it must be taken with a grain of salt.


I actually sort of believe him....the biggest drop in LSAT scores were those in the 168+ range...those candidates are largely out of Emory's reach anyway, whether or not they're there or not. I know there was a drop in 162-167 as well..but the decrease wasn't as drastic.

emalkoun
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby emalkoun » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:47 pm

Hey,

So I'm in the same position as many of you. I was hoping to hear back from Emory a week or so ago. Still no response. Would they have notified me of a rejection already or what?

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:48 pm

emalkoun wrote:Hey,

So I'm in the same position as many of you. I was hoping to hear back from Emory a week or so ago. Still no response. Would they have notified me of a rejection already or what?

What? Most people haven't heard back yet.

emalkoun
Posts: 6
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:40 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby emalkoun » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:49 pm

Really? Emory states that they would notify applicants around mid-February of decisions. Am I correct?

User avatar
teiswei
Posts: 695
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby teiswei » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:50 pm

emalkoun wrote:Really? Emory states that they would notify applicants around mid-February of decisions. Am I correct?

No:

1) What happens next?

Now that your application is complete, our Admission Committee will review your file. You will be notified of a decision beginning in mid-February through April.

User avatar
DoveBodyWash
Posts: 3087
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:12 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:00 pm

emalkoun wrote:Really? Emory states that they would notify applicants around mid-February of decisions. Am I correct?


Just assume all law schools are lying this cycle as far as timing for decisions and scholarships

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:02 pm

cusenation wrote:
emalkoun wrote:Really? Emory states that they would notify applicants around mid-February of decisions. Am I correct?


Just assume all law schools are lying this cycle as far as timing for decisions and scholarships

:lol:

"So, where did you decide to go!?" is my least favorite question ever right now.

User avatar
JadeWest
Posts: 270
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:42 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JadeWest » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:05 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
cusenation wrote:
emalkoun wrote:Really? Emory states that they would notify applicants around mid-February of decisions. Am I correct?


Just assume all law schools are lying this cycle as far as timing for decisions and scholarships

:lol:

"So, where did you decide to go!?" is my least favorite question ever right now.


my fave: "what's like your dream law school?"
my answer: "harvard, but I didn't apply so I wonder when they're sending my acceptance letter"

User avatar
danitt
Posts: 1984
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:40 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby danitt » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:05 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
cusenation wrote:
emalkoun wrote:Really? Emory states that they would notify applicants around mid-February of decisions. Am I correct?


Just assume all law schools are lying this cycle as far as timing for decisions and scholarships

:lol:

"So, where did you decide to go!?" is my least favorite question ever right now.

+1.

My cycle's not over yet!!! I could get in to Columbia! You don't know my life! Leave me alone!!!

And then I start crying and people back away slowly.

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:07 pm

danitt wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote: :lol:

"So, where did you decide to go!?" is my least favorite question ever right now.

+1.

My cycle's not over yet!!! I could get in to Columbia! You don't know my life! Leave me alone!!!

And then I start crying and people back away slowly.

My favorite are the people who give me a lecture about following your heart when I say "I'm waiting on scholarships."

User avatar
JXander
Posts: 960
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:23 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby JXander » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:11 pm

Aaaand because they're mailing them out this year, it's taking a lot longer than usual for each wave to receive notification of admission.

User avatar
kuttlefish
Posts: 132
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby kuttlefish » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:35 pm

patricksouthern wrote:I'm a splitter in that range and haven't even gotten an admissions decision yet, let alone a scholarship.


Word.

User avatar
StLNE
Posts: 84
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:02 am

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby StLNE » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:12 pm

Just received an email from Emory about financial aid, etc but I haven't received a decision from them yet. Is this typical or does it mean they have made a decision and I should watch the mail?

User avatar
Pierrot
Posts: 24
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:56 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby Pierrot » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:24 pm

StLNE wrote:Just received an email from Emory about financial aid, etc but I haven't received a decision from them yet. Is this typical or does it mean they have made a decision and I should watch the mail?


I came here to ask about this as well.

lsatownsme
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby lsatownsme » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:30 pm

Just received it as well. It did have some specific info that seems to be directed toward admitted students, but is at the same time general enough to be considered a confirmation email for my FAFSA. What a tease...

That being said, is there anyone who submitted FAFSA but did not receive this email?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot] and 5 guests