Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
DoveBodyWash

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby DoveBodyWash » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:56 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:Nothing yet. Got ino a car accident yesterday on my way to work. Looks like my car is totalled. Previous to that, waiting for Emory was the biggest stress in my life. I really wish I would now because I could use some cheering up. Sorry to be a downer. I'm so happy for all of the recent admits!

:shock: I'm so sorry about your car!

Are you waiting for a decision or for scholly? Because your TLS box says "waitlisted then accepted" for Emory. Good luck!

JXander

Postby JXander » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:57 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:Nothing yet. Got ino a car accident yesterday on my way to work. Looks like my car is totalled. Previous to that, waiting for Emory was the biggest stress in my life. I really wish I would now because I could use some cheering up. Sorry to be a downer. I'm so happy for all of the recent admits!

Whoa.

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:06 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:18 pm

cusenation wrote: :shock: I'm so sorry about your car!

Are you waiting for a decision or for scholly? Because your TLS box says "waitlisted then accepted" for Emory. Good luck!

I was accepted last year during the "summer melting period". When you're accepted off the waitlist, you don't have the luxury of deferring. I had to decline because of money, my job and also because I had a bad case of pnemonia at the time.

All in all, staying at my job for an extra year has been EXCELLENT for my career (there's a great chance my company will hire me after I get my JD, and if they don't, I've made excellent connections elsewhere). However, saying no to Emory was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. It was my dream school for years, like yourself. Come March if I haven't heard anything, I'm definitely deploying an early LOCI.

rabbitrun

Postby rabbitrun » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:16 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:
cusenation wrote: :shock: I'm so sorry about your car!

I was accepted last year during the "summer melting period". When you're accepted off the waitlist, you don't have the luxury of deferring. I had to decline because of money, my job and also because I had a bad case of pnemonia at the time.

All in all, staying at my job for an extra year has been EXCELLENT for my career (there's a great chance my company will hire me after I get my JD, and if they don't, I've made excellent connections elsewhere). However, saying no to Emory was one of the hardest things I have ever had to do. It was my dream school for years, like yourself. Come March if I haven't heard anything, I'm definitely deploying an early LOCI.

I hope your luck turns around and you get a nice big envelope from Emory to cheer you up!

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:53 am

rabbitrun wrote:I hope your luck turns around and you get a nice big envelope from Emory to cheer you up!

+10

I was under the impression that one could safely assume that they'll get into a school if they've already gotten in once

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:59 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:

Are you going to get a new car out of it? In my experience, its better to have it be a total lose. My father lost his in an April 27th tornado and insurance basically bought him a newer car for the same price. I got rear-ended by a cellphone driver on the way to my UA visit and lost most of my repair money in deductibles.(He falsely claimed to have insurance.)

I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks for that. A new car sounds nice, but my current one is quite old and even though it ran and looked perfect, I'd be lucky if insurance gives me $3k for it. To buy something at least halfway dependable would take a huge chunk out of my law school nest egg, which is small to begin with. It really makes me miffed because I was so happy that I had a paid off car that was going to make it with me through 2016.

I hope something good comes out of this, somehow.

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:04 pm

cusenation wrote:
rabbitrun wrote:I hope your luck turns around and you get a nice big envelope from Emory to cheer you up!

+10

I was under the impression that one could safely assume that they'll get into a school if they've already gotten in once

Thanks, guys.

I though the same, too. UGA also pulled me off of their waiting list last summer. I reapplied to them as well, and they accepted me during their first round this past November. I took that as a very good sign that Emory might follow suit. I love UGA for their strong culture and presence in the south, but I know deep down that Emory is where I want to be.

Ruthie

Postby Ruthie » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:59 pm

Just got in with a $90,000 scholarship. Still in complete shock over that - def didn't see it coming. I hope this is a sign of many other positive responses :)

Anyone planning on the admitted student day in April? I see hotel accommodations are paid for, so I am planning on it.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:05 pm

Ruthie wrote:Just got in with a $90,000 scholarship. Still in complete shock over that - def didn't see it coming. I hope this is a sign of many other positive responses :)

Anyone planning on the admitted student day in April? I see hotel accommodations are paid for, so I am planning on it.

Congrats =)! I'm still debating on the April ASD...it's after deposits are due at WUSTL, so I'm gonna wait and see what WUST's scholarship offer is before I decide

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Checking in (albeit late). I've been stalking the thread for a while and am still waiting to hear. Submitted my application in November. I love love ATL and am missing it right now (I'm in the NE). Congrats to all the new admits!

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:18 pm

bluecouch wrote:Checking in (albeit late). I've been stalking the thread for a while and am still waiting to hear. Submitted my application in November. I love love ATL and am missing it right now (I'm in the NE). Congrats to all the new admits!

Could you elaborate and what makes you love ATL so much? I've never been to Atlanta and I've spent all my life in the Northeast :(

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:35 pm

cusenation wrote:
bluecouch wrote:Checking in (albeit late). I've been stalking the thread for a while and am still waiting to hear. Submitted my application in November. I love love ATL and am missing it right now (I'm in the NE). Congrats to all the new admits!

Could you elaborate and what makes you love ATL so much? I've never been to Atlanta and I've spent all my life in the Northeast :(

Also interested in this question. Ive visited Atlanta few times and had fun but Im curious to hear from people with more experience than me.

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:42 pm

cusenation wrote:

It's a great town. The summer's hot, but the weather is otherwise great. Lots of time to be outdoors, and there are some good bike trails and great parks close to the city. When I lived there (at least most of the time I lived there), I was in Decatur, which is about a mile from campus. It's a great little town - lots of good restaurants and bars - and very walkable if you live close to downtown Decatur (which we did). People bitch about the traffic, but that's only really a problem if you live outside the Perimeter (I-285, which encircles the city) and try to commute in (which I did for 8 months, and it was truly awful).

ATL itself has everything you'd expect from a big city -- fun places to go out in Midtown, Buckhead, and Virginia-Highland (among other neighborhoods), cultural offerings at the High Museum and Woodruff Arts Center (as well as at Emory), good music venues (small and large ranging from Fox Theater to Star Bar), and Piedmont Park is really great -- esp for music festivals. I went to Music Midtown there last year, and it was awesome. I also personally love the Botanical Garden. Finally, I'm a big Braves fan and loved going to games. I've also been to see the Hawks and Falcons, and both Phillips Arena and the Georgia Dome have pretty great atmospheres.

In general, my favorite thing to do in ATL was eat. Atlanta is a pretty diverse place and has the food to vouch for it. There are good Ethiopian and Indian places close to campus, as well as authentic Korean places. If you are into barbecue, you also can't go wrong in Atlanta. Fat Matt's, in particular, is good, although Fox Bros. is closer to campus.

You can take a shuttle from downtown Decatur to school, and Emory runs a free shuttle service to school from most of the places where students tend to live. However, it's a lot more comfortable to live in ATL with a car, even though I know folks who lived in Decatur and Midtown Atlanta without one. MARTA (the subway) and the buses are generally less reliable than you'll see in the NE, but they can be useful if you are trying to get downtown for concerts or pro games.

In total, I lived in Atlanta/Decatur for about 6 years. If you have any questions about ATL or living around Emory, feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have about the area!

Eta: Edited to reflect the awesomeness of Virginia-Highland.

timeandspace11

Postby timeandspace11 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:32 pm

bluecouch wrote:
cusenation wrote:

It's a great town. The summer's hot, but the weather is otherwise great. Lots of time to be outdoors, and there are some good bike trails and great parks close to the city. When I lived there (at least most of the time I lived there), I was in Decatur, which is about a mile from campus. It's a great little town - lots of good restaurants and bars - and very walkable if you live close to downtown Decatur (which we did). People bitch about the traffic, but that's only really a problem if you live outside the Perimeter (I-285, which encircles the city) and try to commute in (which I did for 8 months, and it was truly awful).

ATL itself has everything you'd expect from a big city -- fun places to go out in Midtown, Buckhead, and Virginia-Highland (among other neighborhoods), cultural offerings at the High Museum and Woodruff Arts Center (as well as at Emory), good music venues (small and large ranging from Fox Theater to Star Bar), and Piedmont Park is really great -- esp for music festivals. I went to Music Midtown there last year, and it was awesome. I also personally love the Botanical Garden. Finally, I'm a big Braves fan and loved going to games. I've also been to see the Hawks and Falcons, and both Phillips Arena and the Georgia Dome have pretty great atmospheres.

In general, my favorite thing to do in ATL was eat. Atlanta is a pretty diverse place and has the food to vouch for it. There are good Ethiopian and Indian places close to campus, as well as authentic Korean places. If you are into barbecue, you also can't go wrong in Atlanta. Fat Matt's, in particular, is good, although Fox Bros. is closer to campus.

You can take a shuttle from downtown Decatur to school, and Emory runs a free shuttle service to school from most of the places where students tend to live. However, it's a lot more comfortable to live in ATL with a car, even though I know folks who lived in Decatur and Midtown Atlanta without one. MARTA (the subway) and the buses are generally less reliable than you'll see in the NE, but they can be useful if you are trying to get downtown for concerts or pro games.

In total, I lived in Atlanta/Decatur for about 6 years. If you have any questions about ATL or living around Emory, feel free to PM me. I'd be happy to answer any specific questions you have about the area!

This was great. I see you mentioned several areas including Virginia-Highland. Are these the areas where tthe law students tend to live. I most likely wont have a car during my 1L year, or if I do it will be a piece of junk that I wont try to drive much. I know ATL is not like NYC or Boston in terms of public transit, but what would be some good areas for students without cars. Id preferably like to live in a studio

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:42 pm

timeandspace11 wrote:
bluecouch wrote:

This was great. I see you mentioned several areas including Virginia-Highland. Are these the areas where tthe law students tend to live. I most likely wont have a car during my 1L year, or if I do it will be a piece of junk that I wont try to drive much. I know ATL is not like NYC or Boston in terms of public transit, but what would be some good areas for students without cars. Id preferably like to live in a studio

I went to graduate school there, so I can only speak to where folks in my program lived. With that being said, I lived in Decatur (near Decatur Square, which is the downtown area), and you can take a shuttle from Decatur Square (and another place near there) to school.

A few other folks lived in Virginia-Highland, which is pretty close to campus, has great restaurants and bars and things to do. It's a pretty sought after place to live, but there isn't much in the way of large complexes. You'd have to sublet from someone, I think. I don't think any shuttles run from Virginia-Highland to campus, but it's definitely not a far drive.

One woman in my program lives in Midtown, which is not very close to campus (Emory is on the very eastern edge of the city), but she loves it. She can walk to Piedmont Park and is near a MARTA stop. I think she takes MARTA somewhere and then takes the 6 bus to campus, but I can't really remember. She doesn't own a car, but it works for her.

Finally, anywhere along Briarcliff Road or LaVista Road is pretty close. There are a bunch of large complexes (Post Briarcliff being possibly the most popular) that have varying levels of undergraduates. Shuttles run up and down those roads all the time, and it's super easy to get to campus. I wouldn't recommend Park at Briarcliff, though, even though it's cheap. There's a reason for that: it's totally gross. There are also some brand new places along Clifton Road (that's where the law school is located). They are just north of the law school and across from the CDC; you could walk to class from there. I think they might be kind of expensive, though, and I can't remember what they are called... Emory Pointe, maybe?

Feel free to PM me if you want more info! I'm happy to help!

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:21 pm

bluecouch wrote:
timeandspace11 wrote:This was great. I see you mentioned several areas including Virginia-Highland. Are these the areas where tthe law students tend to live. I most likely wont have a car during my 1L year, or if I do it will be a piece of junk that I wont try to drive much. I know ATL is not like NYC or Boston in terms of public transit, but what would be some good areas for students without cars. Id preferably like to live in a studio

I went to graduate school there, so I can only speak to where folks in my program lived. With that being said, I lived in Decatur (near Decatur Square, which is the downtown area), and you can take a shuttle from Decatur Square (and another place near there) to school.

A few other folks lived in Virginia-Highland, which is pretty close to campus, has great restaurants and bars and things to do. It's a pretty sought after place to live, but there isn't much in the way of large complexes. You'd have to sublet from someone, I think. I don't think any shuttles run from Virginia-Highland to campus, but it's definitely not a far drive.

One woman in my program lives in Midtown, which is not very close to campus (Emory is on the very eastern edge of the city), but she loves it. She can walk to Piedmont Park and is near a MARTA stop. I think she takes MARTA somewhere and then takes the 6 bus to campus, but I can't really remember. She doesn't own a car, but it works for her.

Finally, anywhere along Briarcliff Road or LaVista Road is pretty close. There are a bunch of large complexes (Post Briarcliff being possibly the most popular) that have varying levels of undergraduates. Shuttles run up and down those roads all the time, and it's super easy to get to campus. I wouldn't recommend Park at Briarcliff, though, even though it's cheap. There's a reason for that: it's totally gross. There are also some brand new places along Clifton Road (that's where the law school is located). They are just north of the law school and across from the CDC; you could walk to class from there. I think they might be kind of expensive, though, and I can't remember what they are called... Emory Pointe, maybe?

Feel free to PM me if you want more info! I'm happy to help!

Emory 3L here

I'd honestly recommend having a car because it's kind of hard to get around the city without one. However, Emory shuttles do stop at a lot of the apartment complexes nearby. I lived in Post Briarcliff 1L, and there's a shuttle to school and a ton of law students live there. The complex also doesn't lease to undergrads, and that's a big selling point to a lot of people. Campus Crossings is another option, they have the shuttle, and it's also walking distance to a grocery store and a few restaurants. I think that one might just be grad students, but I'm not totally sure. A few of my friends live there, and it seems pretty nice. It's a little more expensive, but it comes furnished. Some of my friends also rent out basement apartments and things like that near the law school and walk to school. I personally love Decatur, the Virginia Highlands, and Inman Park. They all have great restaurants and bars, but you'd need a car to live in any of those places.

I also love Atlanta and am very happy with my choice to go to Emory. It's really a great place. Congrats to everyone who got in and good luck to those still waiting!

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about the area or school!

shinesui

Postby shinesui » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:48 pm

applied 11/03, but haven't received any response yet...

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:53 am

shinesui wrote:applied 11/03, but haven't received any response yet...

Your numbers are solid, no reason to be worried yet. Especially because there are plenty of waves left. Good luck!

MacB

Postby MacB » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:11 am

Just checking in as a "northeasterner" who lived in Midtown ATL for about a year to verify everything that bluecouch has already said and shamelessly plug how enjoyable life down south is. I've been all in and around Emory/Midtown/Virginia Highlands, etc. Atlanta is a fantastic and very livable town. Great public transport (although having a car really does make life easier... it is the south after all), great weather, great food culture, friendly people, etc. It's very different than what I'm used to in Boston, but I don't think anyone would really regret experiencing the lifestyle for a few years, whether or not they ultimately decided to stay. I recommend visiting to get a feel, Atlanta is really a great city.

JXander

Postby JXander » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:28 pm

Does Emory have strong employment ties with the Texas region?

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:28 pm

JXander wrote:Does Emory have strong employment ties with the Texas region?

If you can get into Emory you can get into a UH/SMU with $$$ most likely and I think that would be a far superior option.

nmcdgt

Postby nmcdgt » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:32 pm

I haven't really seen any indication that it does. Emory sends approximately 2/3 of its students to GA/NY/DC (http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... b=location). I also have very rarely seen TX job postings (I've seen a couple if I remember correctly, but not many), and I don't remember seeing any TX firms at OCI.

I do know some individuals who have TX ties and have been able to at least get some interviews with TX firms, but that's through their own efforts of mass mailing and networking. Emory won't preclude you from working in TX though, you'll just have to work a little harder to make connections.
Last edited by nmcdgt on Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:27 am

BigZuck wrote:

If you can get into Emory you can get into a UH/SMU with $$$ most likely and I think that would be a far superior option.

+1

But Texas could be viable at Emory since you have ties..but I imagine it would require a fair amount of individual initiative and legwork

boris78

Postby boris78 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:56 am

cusenation wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

+1

But Texas could be viable at Emory since you have ties..but I imagine it would require a fair amount of individual initiative and legwork

I think there are really two issues here: 1. does the school have national reach? (I believe Emory does). and 2. do they help you with recruiting out of state? (this you can do on your own if they don't).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”