Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
KingsCup

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby KingsCup » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:42 pm

Anyone else ever forget sometimes that Emory is in the mix of the top schools we applied to? Because there's never any movement it seems, I've basically forgotten about it

teiswei

Postby teiswei » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:48 pm

bgoodrick wrote:Anyone else ever forget sometimes that Emory is in the mix of the top schools we applied to? Because there's never any movement it seems, I've basically forgotten about it

There is not a status checker, correct?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:07 pm

bgoodrick wrote:Anyone else ever forget sometimes that Emory is in the mix of the top schools we applied to? Because there's never any movement it seems, I've basically forgotten about it

+1

No status checker...release all decisions at once...I always forget that I'm still waiting on Emory

danitt

Postby danitt » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:09 pm

teiswei wrote:

Nope and that's why people forget it.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:18 pm

cusenation wrote:

+1

No status checker...release all decisions at once...I always forget that I'm still waiting on Emory

I can't tell if their strategy is genius (all the kids who are applying to a million schools might just withdraw before decisions) or behind the times. Either way, at least it's different.

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:20 pm

In with a 96k (over 3 years) scholarship!

Even hit me with a nice handwritten note at the bottom of the letter.

Slightly amused they used FedEx for two 8.5x11 sheets of paper, but I'm not complaining

LittleBlueBird

Postby LittleBlueBird » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:23 pm

HankBashir wrote:In with a 96k (over 3 years) scholarship!

Slightly amused they used FedEx for two 8.5x11 sheets of paper, but I'm not complaining

Another URM. Congrats!!!

All of this sudden movement is making me anxious. I need to be held. *sob*

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:25 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:

Another URM. Congrats!!!

All of this sudden movement is making me anxious. I need to be held. *sob*

I wonder why URM decisions have been coming out first. Anyone have a guess? I can't think of any situation where it would be necessary to stagger the decisions like that ...especially since Emory already waits so long to release compared to peers

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:37 pm

I too would like to know the rationale behind notifying URMs before anyone else. But the answer is probably, "because we're Emory."

Just withdrew so I hope my (presumptive) spot goes to someone who really wants Emory. Good luck all with your cycles.

JXander

Postby JXander » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:41 pm

teiswei wrote:

Right, I was admitted with no status check email/link.

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:52 pm

jym_dawg wrote:I too would like to know the rationale behind notifying URMs before anyone else. But the answer is probably, "because we're Emory."

Just withdrew so I hope my (presumptive) spot goes to someone who really wants Emory. Good luck all with your cycles.

I have a feeling we went to the same school for undergrad, jym_dawg.

I have no idea either. Looking at the numbers reported on TLS, it seems it's all URMs with GPA or LSAT higher than the 75th percentile as well. I see one exception, but that person went to an Ivy.

It seems a weird strategy to do and not include people like you, who are well over both 75 percentiles

NoChainz

Postby NoChainz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:42 pm

Same!

b123

Postby b123 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:25 pm

This x 10000

kay2016

Postby kay2016 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:29 pm

NoChainz wrote:

Same!

URm?

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:51 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

rabbitrun

Postby rabbitrun » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:06 pm

jym_dawg wrote:I too would like to know the rationale behind notifying URMs before anyone else. But the answer is probably, "because we're Emory."

I think that this is why Emory waits so long: YP. A few of the overqualified ppl might w/draw but there is probably still enough of them, bc they probably forgot about Emory due to not having a status checker, to help w/ medians.

I actually like not having a status checker and waiting for it to come all at once. It reduces obsessive checking tendencies. Besides the times when I got decisions w/in a month, rolling admissions has been annoying and stressful.

NoChainz

Postby NoChainz » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:11 pm

kayleighcheyenne wrote:
NoChainz wrote:

Same!

URm?

Yes

nmcdgt

Postby nmcdgt » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:57 am

During my cycle they released an enormous batch of decisions late Feb / early March. Just hang in there a little longer.

ETA: No status checker but I got an e-mail from them when decisions came out, so assuming they are still doing that you likely won't be relying solely on snail mail.

AMilfordMan

Postby AMilfordMan » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:41 am

I really think the system works. Yes, I may have pushed Emory to the back of my mind in November and December. But now, it's one of the decisions I'm most excited to hear about after having already heard from so many schools.

If it is a school you'd really, honestly consider attending, then their decisions come out right when you're starting to make important decisions.

Needless to say, I'm becoming increasingly eager to hear back!

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:46 am

AMilfordMan wrote:I really think the system works. Yes, I may have pushed Emory to the back of my mind in November and December. But now, it's one of the decisions I'm most excited to hear about after having already heard from so many schools.

If it is a school you'd really, honestly consider attending, then their decisions come out right when you're starting to make important decisions.

I agree to an extent, but I think there's a psychological factor that schools like Emory and ASU are ignoring. I've heard from a few of my schools over 2 months ago. Since then I've searched for apartments in those areas, watched sporting events solely because those teams are playing, traded e-mails and phone calls with students and admissions staff. While all this may seem minor, I have become quite comfortable with the concept of me being a Gator, Hurricane, etc.
Secondly, other schools offered me acceptance shortly after applying. Since then, they have bombarded me with e-mails and letters. Now, I'm not going to make a decision because a school makes me feel "special", but there is something to be said for a good school that shows class and humility during this process.
Without a doubt an acceptance from Emory would shake up my current rankings, but I've gotten used to the idea of Emory not being an option, if the scholarship money isn't ample, I could very easily flip right back to that distinction after acceptance.
Just my two cents.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:48 am

Aroldis105 wrote:
AMilfordMan wrote:I really think the system works. Yes, I may have pushed Emory to the back of my mind in November and December. But now, it's one of the decisions I'm most excited to hear about after having already heard from so many schools.

I agree to an extent, but I think there's a psychological factor that schools like Emory and ASU are ignoring. I've heard from a few of my schools over 2 months ago. Since then I've searched for apartments in those areas, watched sporting events solely because those teams are playing, traded e-mails and phone calls with students and admissions staff. While all this may seem minor, I have become quite comfortable with the concept of me being a Gator, Hurricane, etc.
Secondly, other schools offered me acceptance shortly after applying. Since then, they have bombarded me with e-mails and letters. Now, I'm not going to make a decision because a school makes me feel "special", but there is something to be said for a good school that shows class and humility during this process.
Without a doubt an acceptance from Emory would shake up my current rankings, but I've gotten used to the idea of Emory not being an option, if the scholarship money isn't ample, I could very easily flip right back to that distinction after acceptance.
Just my two cents.

+1

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:12 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:I agree to an extent, but I think there's a psychological factor that schools like Emory and ASU are ignoring. I've heard from a few of my schools over 2 months ago. Since then I've searched for apartments in those areas, watched sporting events solely because those teams are playing, traded e-mails and phone calls with students and admissions staff. While all this may seem minor, I have become quite comfortable with the concept of me being a Gator, Hurricane, etc.
Just my two cents.

Agreed. Alabama, for instance, wasn't really on my radar except that they gave me a fee waiver. But they got back to me quickly, kept in constant contact, offered a scholarship via phone call/snail mail, and this afternoon they're flying me out to attend the open house. In my mind I'm now deciding between Alabama for the money and 2-3 other schools that were top choices when I started the application process, and it will likely come down to whether I get scholarships/how much my scholarships to those 2-3 schools are. Had Alabama gone the Emory route and not gotten back to me till March, they'd likely be as much of an afterthought in matriculation as they were in application, and it's unlikely I would be taking the time to visit the campus or seriously considering attending the school unless they were the only ones to offer a scholarship. At this point for me to go to Emory would take serious money, because my planning and evaluation stage is already in progress. This whole "we're special and you'll just have to wait until you've already heard back from every other school" move that Emory's doing is hurting them IMO.

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:02 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:09 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:
nickb285 wrote:
Aroldis105 wrote:I agree to an extent, but I think there's a psychological factor that schools like Emory and ASU are ignoring. I've heard from a few of my schools over 2 months ago. Since then I've searched for apartments in those areas, watched sporting events solely because those teams are playing, traded e-mails and phone calls with students and admissions staff. While all this may seem minor, I have become quite comfortable with the concept of me being a Gator, Hurricane, etc.
Just my two cents.

Agreed. Alabama, for instance, wasn't really on my radar except that they gave me a fee waiver. But they got back to me quickly, kept in constant contact, offered a scholarship via phone call/snail mail, and this afternoon they're flying me out to attend the open house. In my mind I'm now deciding between Alabama for the money and 2-3 other schools that were top choices when I started the application process, and it will likely come down to whether I get scholarships/how much my scholarships to those 2-3 schools are. Had Alabama gone the Emory route and not gotten back to me till March, they'd likely be as much of an afterthought in matriculation as they were in application, and it's unlikely I would be taking the time to visit the campus or seriously considering attending the school unless they were the only ones to offer a scholarship. At this point for me to go to Emory would take serious money, because my planning and evaluation stage is already in progress. This whole "we're special and you'll just have to wait until you've already heard back from every other school" move that Emory's doing is hurting them IMO.

You should tell them this. They work so hard to do just this.

You need to visit Atlanta AND Birmingham/Tuscaloosa and make sure that the later is somewhere you would feel comfortable living.
When you are talking about top-end regional schools, your decision should come down to where you want to work. Alabama, though excellent at recruiting, only places within the state, but it basically has the state to its own with little competition. Emory, on the other hand, has been known to be somewhat portable and places in a much bigger city. This is why Bama rolls out the red carpet.

That's a fair point but Emory's placement deserves more context: it does place well in Atl, but only if you're top 10-15 percent. Even then, you're competing with the southern T14s, Vandy, and UGA and GA State to get an offer. Everything I've read on this forum indicates that if you're outside the top 10ish percent, then good luck with Atl BigLaw. And good luck getting other cities from Emory. At least Bama dominates its state.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:24 pm

jym_dawg wrote:That's a fair point but Emory's placement deserves more context: it does place well in Atl, but only if you're top 10-15 percent. Even then, you're competing with the southern T14s, Vandy, and UGA and GA State to get an offer. Everything I've read on this forum indicates that if you're outside the top 10ish percent, then good luck with Atl BigLaw. And good luck getting other cities from Emory. At least Bama dominates its state.

+10

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”