Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RetakeFrenzy

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Postby RetakeFrenzy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:Fuck it, I guess I read the "some folks on the wait list may receive emails worded slightly differently" part to mean that there was only one with differently worded versions.

God, this seriously doesn't have to be so damn complicated!

I did the same :(

RR051989

Postby RR051989 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:11 pm

The operative words of his posting are "Thus, this year, we have invited small groups of waitlist applicants to various events so that we can examine whether we should host a more formal event in the future. However, attending these events is by no means a pre-requisite to admission. I understand that conflicting schedules and travel costs can preclude some students, and attendance has absolutely no bearing on your chances of admission."

I read this and think that if you're invited to visit, you do not have a better chance of getting off the waitlist. They said that the visit doesn't have any bearing on your chances of admission, and the FAQs on their website say that the list isn't ranked. Although maybe I'm just being overly optimistic. However it does beg the question - what influenced their choices in who they chose, within the waitlist, to invite for a visit.

I'm on the "traditional/non-priority" waitlist (to the extent it even exists). My email looks identical to CBarlow

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:15 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Samizdizzle

Postby Samizdizzle » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:00 pm

However, attending these events is by no means a pre-requisite to admission.

This only says that if you're invited, attending or not doesn't affect anything. It says nothing about who is invited.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:37 am

This thread is crazy hahaha. My $0.02- There is absolutely a priority waitlist. Look at the language of those emails! I read those to have basically meant you are in, but they are waiting for $$ people to withdraw so they can redistribute the funds and give these candidates the offer they deserve. As for the rest of the waitlisters- there is no difference. Some people got a differently worried email around midnight at Thursday because the systems were down.

CMJdoeslawschool

Postby CMJdoeslawschool » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:54 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:I don't think there are three lists. There were probably just people who got waitlisted while he was in the office and another email that went to those waitlisted when he had to shoot them off from his personal email address.

This exactly, Ethan stopped by this forum on Friday (or Thurs?) to mention that he'd be emailing from his personal account because there was an issue with his work email. It's possible the difference in wording is because that system was down & he had to write out a new draft.
I don't think there are 3 lists.

keegz

Postby keegz » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:11 am

BlueJeanBaby wrote:This thread is crazy hahaha. My $0.02- There is absolutely a priority waitlist. Look at the language of those emails! I read those to have basically meant you are in, but they are waiting for $$ people to withdraw so they can redistribute the funds and give these candidates the offer they deserve. As for the rest of the waitlisters- there is no difference. Some people got a differently worried email around midnight at Thursday because the systems were down.

^this. also... I understand everyone is anxious about being on the WL (I am too) but worrying about how many waitlists there are seems a little futile. Regardless of how many waitlists there are, being on a waitlist means that you do not necessarily have a spot at Emory. make your arrangements at another school, write a LOCI/visit Emory/do your waitlisted thang, and then see if you are offered a spot later. if you are WL at Emory, I'm sure you have many other wonderful offers that you can find happiness with, and if you get offered a spot at Emory - GREAT, but realize that if not then that is okay too. actual law school is going to be stressful enough, picking apart the words of a dean's email and working yourself into a frenzy now is not worth the stress in my opinion. :)

Samizdizzle

Postby Samizdizzle » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:17 am

I'm loving this thread. Something to keep me occupied while I wait. :lol:

For the record, I think there are probably only two lists. But the Dean's language does not preclude the existence of more.

And I'm also curious, did anyone who did not have the priority language receive an invite to admitted students' functions?

JXander

Postby JXander » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:57 am

cusenation wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:on another note, does anyone know how taking the June LSAT affects waitlists? should i email the schools (including Emory) that i'm waitlisted at to let them know i'm taking it, or will they automatically find out?

They'll find out automatically but i'd tell them beforehand so they know to look for it. and I imagine that it helps your chances if you improve your score

I was told that informing them of your retaking the LSAT may not be the best idea. What if they want to pull you off the WL early, but they know that you are planning on retaking the test? They would just make you wait longer until that score is released. When the score is released, all of the schools to which you have applied should receive the update automatically.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:58 am

JXander wrote:
cusenation wrote:
cbarlow1016 wrote:on another note, does anyone know how taking the June LSAT affects waitlists? should i email the schools (including Emory) that i'm waitlisted at to let them know i'm taking it, or will they automatically find out?

They'll find out automatically but i'd tell them beforehand so they know to look for it. and I imagine that it helps your chances if you improve your score

I was told that informing them of your retaking the LSAT may not be the best idea. What if they want to pull you off the WL early, but they know that you are planning on retaking the test? They would just make you wait longer until that score is released. When the score is released, all of the schools to which you have applied should receive the update automatically.

+1

This is 100% true if you had the numbers to get in off the waitlist anyway...If that's the case then i wouldn't mention it to them beforehand. But if you're numbers are on the lower end...it might help for the same reason. They would hold off on reviewing your app until your new (and presumably better) score comes out

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:45 am

JXander wrote:
cusenation wrote:

And also, what if you happen to score lower?? I mean, presumably, you do better, but what if that is not the case?? Does that screw you over?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:46 am

cbarlow1016 wrote:
JXander wrote:
cusenation wrote:

And also, what if you happen to score lower?? I mean, presumably, you do better, but what if that is not the case?? Does that screw you over?

Eh no i don't think so. Schools take the highest score, so from their perspective it'll just be like you never took it.

JXander

Postby JXander » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:57 am

cusenation wrote:Schools take the highest score, so from their perspective it'll just be like you never took it.

Ya. There are few schools that care about this, and I think those are within the T10.

squonk

Postby squonk » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:02 am

From the waitlist site FAQ:

We will begin contacting waitlist members in April if space becomes available in the class. We may extend additional acceptances to the entering class throughout the summer as well. If we have any unexpected openings at orientation in August, we may contact waitlist candidates through Friday, Aug. 16. We will continue email communication with all applicants who remain on the waitlist.

If anyone's willing to hang onto the hope that an incoming student will suddenly leave during orientation, here's some good news for you. How likely is this to happen, exactly?

apreel

Postby apreel » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:11 am

hey all, long-time lurker here. I got the same waitlist letter as CBarlow.

does anyone know if the Admissions Office will reply to you when you send in your LOCI to confirm they got it? just wondering.

shaynislegend

Postby shaynislegend » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:51 am

Does anyone know if schools in general take the June LSAT into consideration if you are already admitted? ex. If I have already been admitted with scholarship could I use a higher June LSAT score to get more money? At least theoretically?

gatorlaw55

Postby gatorlaw55 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:58 am

shaynislegend wrote:Does anyone know if schools in general take the June LSAT into consideration if you are already admitted? ex. If I have already been admitted with scholarship could I use a higher June LSAT score to get more money? At least theoretically?

I think it varies per school. When I asked the admissions office at Emory about this they told me that it is unlikely they would re-evaluate their scholarship offer, even with a higher LSAT. However, other schools I am considering seem more open about this idea.

JXander

Postby JXander » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:03 pm

shaynislegend wrote:Does anyone know if schools in general take the June LSAT into consideration if you are already admitted? ex. If I have already been admitted with scholarship could I use a higher June LSAT score to get more money? At least theoretically?

Yes to your first question in terms of admission.

In terms of money, probably only if the school does negotiate scholarships (Emory does not) and if you still have other offers on the table.

MrLawManRyan

Postby MrLawManRyan » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:41 pm

apreel wrote:hey all, long-time lurker here. I got the same waitlist letter as CBarlow.

does anyone know if the Admissions Office will reply to you when you send in your LOCI to confirm they got it? just wondering.

I haven't received a confirmation for my LOCI, and I sent mine the day after the wait list massacre.

ookoshi

Postby ookoshi » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:33 pm

MrLawManRyan wrote:I haven't received a confirmation for my LOCI, and I sent mine the day after the wait list massacre.

+1

nationalphenom

Postby nationalphenom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:12 am

for those who are staying on the waitlist, how are you responding to the email? would a simple one line response work or are you writing something more elaborate?

TheMostDangerousLG

Postby TheMostDangerousLG » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:09 am

nationalphenom wrote:for those who are staying on the waitlist, how are you responding to the email? would a simple one line response work or are you writing something more elaborate?

I wrote a very short, to-the-point response.

rachelzane

Postby rachelzane » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:51 am

Just withdrew! Good luck everyone!

nationalphenom

Postby nationalphenom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:33 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:
nationalphenom wrote:for those who are staying on the waitlist, how are you responding to the email? would a simple one line response work or are you writing something more elaborate?

gotcha. thanks!

Ned Racine

Postby Ned Racine » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:04 pm

TheMostDangerousLG wrote:

Why are folks replying to the email? Did it request a reply? I just submitted the online form...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”