Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dougfunny

New

Re: Emory class of 2016 (2012-2013 cycle)

Post by dougfunny » Thu May 02, 2013 1:26 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:everyone get the invitation to visit just now?
Yup. Still cannot take off work to go though. Hopefully they don't hold it against me.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Thu May 02, 2013 1:26 pm

I received one as an admitted student

ramsdancer1

Bronze

Post by ramsdancer1 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:48 pm

Did anyone else get a Waitlist Update e-mail today?

gatorgirl2012

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl2012 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:49 pm

Yeah, awkward moment when at first, you think it's an acceptance :oops:

CMJdoeslawschool

New

Post by CMJdoeslawschool » Thu May 02, 2013 3:05 pm

ramsdancer1 wrote:Did anyone else get a Waitlist Update e-mail today?

Yeah, I was wondering why I didn't get an invitation to visit in my email as some people were talking about above and then I remembered that they probably know I already have. Still just waiting....

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ramsdancer1

Bronze

Post by ramsdancer1 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:43 pm

CMJdoeslawschool wrote:
ramsdancer1 wrote:Did anyone else get a Waitlist Update e-mail today?

Yeah, I was wondering why I didn't get an invitation to visit in my email as some people were talking about above and then I remembered that they probably know I already have. Still just waiting....
I did not visit yet and an invitation to visit was not included in my e-mail. I think it was just a generic update to remind us they are working hard to get decisions out. Does anyone know if they decide they do not want to accept you if they will inform you of that decision?

apreel

New

Post by apreel » Fri May 03, 2013 5:09 pm

I received the waitlist update, though I didn't get an invitation to visit...getting pretty discouraged about my chances of being offered admission :(

LizardRock

New

Post by LizardRock » Sun May 05, 2013 1:19 pm

Received the phone call on Friday afternoon....Atlanta is my destination :D

lawschoolwoohoo

Bronze

Post by lawschoolwoohoo » Sun May 05, 2013 1:52 pm

LizardRock wrote:Received the phone call on Friday afternoon....Atlanta is my destination :D
Congrats! I'm going next year too. So excited!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LittleBlueBird

Bronze

Post by LittleBlueBird » Mon May 06, 2013 2:58 am

lawschoolwoohoo wrote:
LizardRock wrote:Received the phone call on Friday afternoon....Atlanta is my destination :D
Congrats! I'm going next year too. So excited!
Congrats to you both! I lovd WL success stories :)

antmcb91

New

Post by antmcb91 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:17 pm

apreel wrote:I received the waitlist update, though I didn't get an invitation to visit...getting pretty discouraged about my chances of being offered admission :(
Also got that e-mail and I feel where you're coming from. Wish we could have some idea as to what the chances of a phone call are down to

Minnywild7

New

Post by Minnywild7 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:55 pm

So if we got a waitlist update instead of an invitation to visit Emory it means that we are definetly not getting in? I thought that the waitlist was not ranked? Does that mean some people are preferred more than others? This waitlist situation is so confusing!

TheMostDangerousLG

Gold

Post by TheMostDangerousLG » Mon May 06, 2013 2:13 pm

I don't know why I still haven't heard anything from Emory. Is their meaningless yield rate really that worth alienating waitlist candidates? Don't send me five emails saying how you'll "be in touch soon!" and inviting me to visit your campus if you don't plan on ever actually contacting me.

I should probably just withdraw, but I was holding out hope they respected me enough as a candidate to offer me a competitive scholarship. Apparently they don't even plan on offering me a seat. =\

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ookoshi

Bronze

Post by ookoshi » Mon May 06, 2013 2:26 pm

Minnywild7 wrote:So if we got a waitlist update instead of an invitation to visit Emory it means that we are definetly not getting in? I thought that the waitlist was not ranked? Does that mean some people are preferred more than others? This waitlist situation is so confusing!
While I'm sure it's true that there is not be a specific number assigned as an official "rank", I have to believe that they have a few applications they consider to be "on deck" for acceptance. It doesn't make sense to reconvene the admissions committee every time a single student withdraws and review 400+ waitlist applications over and over again, especially when they already know some of the applicants are clearly weaker than others when they went through it the first time.

I'll put it this way, we all know that law schools, while they want to look at the strength of the overall application as much as possible, will sometimes also get to the point where they accept people on LSAT or GPA alone in order to maintain medians. So ask yourself this, if you were in charge of maintaining a waitlist of, let's say, 400-500 people, how would you do it to achieve that goal efficiently? If I were expecting to accept another 5-10 people off the wait list, I'd take the strongest 5-10 overall applications, as well as a few applications with the highest LSAT or GPA scores, in case I need to accept someone with an otherwise mediocre application to maintain my LSAT or GPA median. So, there would be no official "rank", because who I accept will be totally dependent on the type of student that withdrew. If a high LSAT splitter withdrew and I have to accept a high LSAT score, I've got one ready to go. Same with GPA. If someone close to median withdrew and I can accept anyone without negatively impacting medians, I'd accept the best overall application without regard to 1 specific score.

The law school application and law school ranking processes are sufficiently transparent that you can make an educated guess as to how things work. When the admissions process boils down to "evaluate applicants, make decision", there are only so many permutations of how to do it efficiently.

ramsdancer1

Bronze

Post by ramsdancer1 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:08 am

has anyone on the waitlist gotten a call recently? I'm still waiting. Also, do you think if they review your application and decide they won't take you off the waitlist that they will let you know?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Fri May 10, 2013 10:16 am

ramsdancer1 wrote:has anyone on the waitlist gotten a call recently? I'm still waiting. Also, do you think if they review your application and decide they won't take you off the waitlist that they will let you know?
One of my roommates got called a few days ago and I think they offered him money on the spot.

I don't think school's actively remove kids from the waitlist, they tend to just sit on them through the summer. I guess you could ask them what your chances are but they'd probably just give you a vague response saying that they're continuously evaluating their needs etc..

ramsdancer1

Bronze

Post by ramsdancer1 » Fri May 10, 2013 10:26 am

cusenation wrote:
ramsdancer1 wrote:has anyone on the waitlist gotten a call recently? I'm still waiting. Also, do you think if they review your application and decide they won't take you off the waitlist that they will let you know?
One of my roommates got called a few days ago and I think they offered him money on the spot.

I don't think school's actively remove kids from the waitlist, they tend to just sit on them through the summer. I guess you could ask them what your chances are but they'd probably just give you a vague response saying that they're continuously evaluating their needs etc..
Thanks! I didn't really think they would remove people off the waitlist...but I was kind of hoping they did. I just want to know one way or the other soon so I can know for certian what law school I will be attending.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MEAhrnsbrak

Bronze

Post by MEAhrnsbrak » Sat May 11, 2013 8:01 am

I have a longwinded question. When I was initially put on the waitlist I wrote a LOCI and sent it within the week. Then last weekend I was in Atlanta for a training conference and decided even though it was the weekend I would take my husband over to the Emory campus and show him around. Long story short, we ended up in the law school building talking to a judge for the local area who is also an adjunct professor at the law school. Let's just say after my conversation with him if I had any uncertainty before that point, it is completely evident to me Emory Law School is where I want to attend law school. My question is even though I have already sent one LOCI, is it appropriate for me to send a second letter now that my interest has grown exponentially and essentially I've ruled out every other law school as a candidate for me?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sat May 11, 2013 9:46 am

MEAhrnsbrak wrote:I have a longwinded question. When I was initially put on the waitlist I wrote a LOCI and sent it within the week. Then last weekend I was in Atlanta for a training conference and decided even though it was the weekend I would take my husband over to the Emory campus and show him around. Long story short, we ended up in the law school building talking to a judge for the local area who is also an adjunct professor at the law school. Let's just say after my conversation with him if I had any uncertainty before that point, it is completely evident to me Emory Law School is where I want to attend law school. My question is even though I have already sent one LOCI, is it appropriate for me to send a second letter now that my interest has grown exponentially and essentially I've ruled out every other law school as a candidate for me?
I would go ahead and send another one talking abt your visit and stuff. At this point you have nothing to lose, don't worry abt coming off as "clingy" or something. Good luck!

djf

New

Post by djf » Sun May 12, 2013 4:25 pm

How is everyone justifying COA? I don't know if I can justify taking so much out in loans. Advice. . Opinions?

DoveBodyWash

Gold

Post by DoveBodyWash » Sun May 12, 2013 6:13 pm

djf wrote:How is everyone justifying COA? I don't know if I can justify taking so much out in loans. Advice. . Opinions?
Eh..i mean this is harder to answer without knowing your numbers and your expected COA..but most people are gonna end up incurring SOME debt for a J.D. Only a very fortunate few graduate truly debt-free. But other than the kids who get full-rides + stipend or have family members who are willing to cover the bill, everyone else incurs some debt.

It's just a matter of figuring out how much debt you're comfortable incurring in light of your career goals.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

thecollege

New

Post by thecollege » Sun May 12, 2013 6:45 pm

So I sent Emory a LOCI last week in response to the WL update email and haven't heard anything back...no confirmation of receiving letter or anything. Should I call them or email to make sure they got it?

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Sun May 12, 2013 8:47 pm

thecollege wrote:So I sent Emory a LOCI last week in response to the WL update email and haven't heard anything back...no confirmation of receiving letter or anything. Should I call them or email to make sure they got it?
Do what you gotta do to get noticed breh, good luck

apreel

New

Post by apreel » Mon May 13, 2013 1:11 am

thecollege wrote:So I sent Emory a LOCI last week in response to the WL update email and haven't heard anything back...no confirmation of receiving letter or anything. Should I call them or email to make sure they got it?
I don't think anyone has gotten a confirmation from Emory about receiving his/her LOCI. Has anyone else gotten in off the waitlist? The waiting is really starting to get to me...

ramsdancer1

Bronze

Post by ramsdancer1 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:36 am

apreel wrote:
I don't think anyone has gotten a confirmation from Emory about receiving his/her LOCI. Has anyone else gotten in off the waitlist? The waiting is really starting to get to me...
I'm still waiting too. I also send an LOCI and have not gotten confirmation. If anyone does call and ask if their LOCI was received, let us know what they say. I'm going to give it another week or so and if I do not hear anything I will call then.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”