Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Aristophanes
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:27 am

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Aristophanes » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:01 am

Pleasye, were you in Prof. Rothman's Torts class on Thursday? I sat in that afternoon and thought she was amazing--sharp, well-organized, warm, funny, engaging etc. Really enjoyed those 1 1/2 hours.

whsy
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby whsy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:09 pm

Decision rendered 2/22... I didn't get the chat thing or the big envelope about the alumni... and my numbers are way below the median., so nervous

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby CO2016YEAH » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:14 pm

astrodoggy wrote:decision made 2/20, letter in the mail. rejected from the first two schools I heard back from, so I really want some good news.


Good luck! (assuming you haven't heard already) My first two decisions were denies also, then LLS came through. :) It looks like you have "yes" numbers...so I'm optimistic. :)

User avatar
Dmini7
Posts: 725
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:18 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
astrodoggy wrote:decision made 2/20, letter in the mail. rejected from the first two schools I heard back from, so I really want some good news.


Good luck! (assuming you haven't heard already) My first two decisions were denies also, then LLS came through. :) It looks like you have "yes" numbers...so I'm optimistic. :)

Astrology you will be in with money. Congrats :)! Wshy i don't know your numbers so I can't predict :/ are you a URM? Assuming your decision was the same day as Astros I would take comfort in numbers :), but I can't say for sure with LLS.

MASSattack1
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby MASSattack1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Another week still sitting at Complete... :(

whsy
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby whsy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:40 pm

Dmini, actually I'm right at their median for the LSAT and under 3.0 and not a URM.. I'm crossing my fingers and good luck astrodoggy!

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby CO2016YEAH » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:04 pm

whsy wrote:Dmini, actually I'm right at their median for the LSAT and under 3.0 and not a URM.. I'm crossing my fingers and good luck astrodoggy!


Good luck, whsy! I hope it turns out well for you!

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7960
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Pleasye » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:23 pm

Aristophanes wrote:Pleasye, were you in Prof. Rothman's Torts class on Thursday? I sat in that afternoon and thought she was amazing--sharp, well-organized, warm, funny, engaging etc. Really enjoyed those 1 1/2 hours.

Yep! I love her. She's hilarious.

Aristophanes
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:27 am

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Aristophanes » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:06 am

Pleasye wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:Pleasye, were you in Prof. Rothman's Torts class on Thursday? I sat in that afternoon and thought she was amazing--sharp, well-organized, warm, funny, engaging etc. Really enjoyed those 1 1/2 hours.

Yep! I love her. She's hilarious.


Everyone I spoke with raved about the quality of teaching at Loyola. If Prof. Rothman is representative of the teaching, I can see why everyone was raving!

User avatar
radar714
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:35 am

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby radar714 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:53 pm

Aristophanes wrote:Pleasye, were you in Prof. Rothman's Torts class on Thursday? I sat in that afternoon and thought she was amazing--sharp, well-organized, warm, funny, engaging etc. Really enjoyed those 1 1/2 hours.


I was there as well

Aristophanes
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:27 am

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Aristophanes » Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:51 pm

radar714 wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:Pleasye, were you in Prof. Rothman's Torts class on Thursday? I sat in that afternoon and thought she was amazing--sharp, well-organized, warm, funny, engaging etc. Really enjoyed those 1 1/2 hours.


I was there as well


radar714, based on Thursday's visit, what did you think of Loyola overall?

You mentioned earlier that you wanted to ask them about the possibilities for a full-ride scholarship. Did you get to talk to anyone in Admissions/Financial Aid about that?

User avatar
martymoose
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:25 pm

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby martymoose » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Allie wrote:This sounds like my situation. If I live at home I'll be going from Camarillo, but I can go on the metrolink from there. Although, if classes start early (8-9am) it'll suck to have to commute so far. But, also, Loyola is closer to DT and the firms/places to get internships are more accessible that from Pepp, especially if you're reliant on public transportation.
Nice to know I'm not the only one. I'm planning an making a few test runs on the train to see how it goes.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dproduct » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:02 am

martymoose wrote:
Allie wrote:This sounds like my situation. If I live at home I'll be going from Camarillo, but I can go on the metrolink from there. Although, if classes start early (8-9am) it'll suck to have to commute so far. But, also, Loyola is closer to DT and the firms/places to get internships are more accessible that from Pepp, especially if you're reliant on public transportation.
Nice to know I'm not the only one. I'm planning an making a few test runs on the train to see how it goes.


Honestly, if I attend LS in LA - I may live at home to keep costs low too. It's not ideal... but avoiding approx. 15k in loans my first year is really tough to pass up.

User avatar
Pleasye
Posts: 7960
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Pleasye » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:11 am

dproduct wrote:Honestly, if I attend LS in LA - I may live at home to keep costs low too. It's not ideal... but avoiding approx. 15k in loans my first year is really tough to pass up.

Where's home for you?

I commute from home (venice) and feel that I made a great decision. It saves me a ton of money and I actually love my commute because it gives me 45 minutes every day where I just drive and blast music and don't have to think about school. However, I did get lucky with a section that has mostly afternoon classes - we start at 1 most days and my earliest class is at 10. So I do think I might feel differently if I had to be at school at 8am and deal with rush hour traffic every morning.

User avatar
dproduct
Posts: 4087
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dproduct » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:22 am

Pleasye wrote:
dproduct wrote:Honestly, if I attend LS in LA - I may live at home to keep costs low too. It's not ideal... but avoiding approx. 15k in loans my first year is really tough to pass up.

Where's home for you?

I commute from home (venice) and feel that I made a great decision. It saves me a ton of money and I actually love my commute because it gives me 45 minutes every day where I just drive and blast music and don't have to think about school. However, I did get lucky with a section that has mostly afternoon classes - we start at 1 most days and my earliest class is at 10. So I do think I might feel differently if I had to be at school at 8am and deal with rush hour traffic every morning.


Buena Park, (essentially Norwalk) so it's just up the 5 north... If I could avoid major traffic times it wouldn't be that horrible.

User avatar
radar714
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:35 am

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby radar714 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:37 am

Aristophanes wrote:
radar714 wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:Pleasye, were you in Prof. Rothman's Torts class on Thursday? I sat in that afternoon and thought she was amazing--sharp, well-organized, warm, funny, engaging etc. Really enjoyed those 1 1/2 hours.


I was there as well


radar714, based on Thursday's visit, what did you think of Loyola overall?

You mentioned earlier that you wanted to ask them about the possibilities for a full-ride scholarship. Did you get to talk to anyone in Admissions/Financial Aid about that?


I haven't gotten any updates since sending up a follow up email last week but I spoke with a friend that got a full-ride last year and is a current 1L at Loyola now and she said she heard about it in mid march (after negotiating up from a 90k).

I liked the school a lot and if I don't get into SC I think I'll likely end up going. The one thing that gives me pause is their employment placement numbers (or lack thereof). I felt like they were doing a lot to sell us on "you can network your way into a job because our teachers are awesome" rather than "our CSO/OCI places well." of course that's like 80% of law schools nowadays

whsy
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby whsy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Any word for anyone else? I'm still agonizingly waiting for my decision letter, decision rendered 02/22. I live in Orange County, so it should be any day now... so very nervous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lampshade0520
Posts: 78
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:57 pm

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby lampshade0520 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:34 pm

whsy wrote:Any word for anyone else? I'm still agonizingly waiting for my decision letter, decision rendered 02/22. I live in Orange County, so it should be any day now... so very nervous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


in with dean's scholarship!

whsy
Posts: 141
Joined: Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby whsy » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:58 pm

Now I'm really nervous, I see previously in the thread that you got a big white envelope about alumni and an email about some chat, I didn't get either.... dreading today's mail..

MASSattack1
Posts: 89
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:25 am

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby MASSattack1 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:11 pm

With every day that goes by remaining Complete, I lose a little bit of hope :(

Aristophanes
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:27 am

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Aristophanes » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:52 pm

I haven't gotten any updates since sending up a follow up email last week but I spoke with a friend that got a full-ride last year and is a current 1L at Loyola now and she said she heard about it in mid march (after negotiating up from a 90k).

I liked the school a lot and if I don't get into SC I think I'll likely end up going. The one thing that gives me pause is their employment placement numbers (or lack thereof). I felt like they were doing a lot to sell us on "you can network your way into a job because our teachers are awesome" rather than "our CSO/OCI places well." of course that's like 80% of law schools nowadays[/quote]

Agree with you on the employment aspect of it all. If you find yourself with the SC option, that would be difficult to pass up.

Although I feel lucky to have received the 90k offer (thought I wouldn't get much at all), I might inquire too about negotiating. I guess it wouldn't hurt.

Aristophanes
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:27 am

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby Aristophanes » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:53 pm

MASSattack1 wrote:With every day that goes by remaining Complete, I lose a little bit of hope :(


MASSattack1, hang in there. I have my fingers crossed for you and everyone else still waiting.

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby CO2016YEAH » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:07 pm

I have a question for any current students:

Does LLS have a standard budget that they adhere to for financial aid distribution? More specifically, do they offer a standard monthly allowance for rent, food, books, etc.?

Obviously, rent can fluctuate within the area and especially within the city. If someone is renting an apartment above the standard budget does LLS allow for an increased cost of attendance to be borrowed, and does this require submission of a lease (this is how my UG does it)?

Also, has anyone heard about additional COL considerations for students with dependents?

Thanks for your help!

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby CO2016YEAH » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:22 pm

lampshade0520 wrote:
whsy wrote:Any word for anyone else? I'm still agonizingly waiting for my decision letter, decision rendered 02/22. I live in Orange County, so it should be any day now... so very nervous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


in with dean's scholarship!


Congratulations! That is awesome! Are you leaning towards Loyola at this juncture, or are you still waiting to see?

The Dean's scholly has a good academic standing stip, correct?

User avatar
CO2016YEAH
Posts: 578
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:42 am

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby CO2016YEAH » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:24 pm

I apologize for the multiple posts and I also apologize if this question is redundant.

Has anyone that has been offered the $90k as of yet been successful in soliciting an increase? Feel free to PM me.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”