Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dproduct

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Postby dproduct » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:33 pm

MASSattack1 wrote:Thinking of sending a letter of continued interest due to the fact that my application has had no movement in quite some time. Genuinely, Loyola is my #1 at this point and if it were fiscally realistic, I would be willing to commit. If i were to send them a letter, should I explicitly say that? Also, is it annoying/overzealous to send a letter at this point?

Unless you've been WL/reserved/held... you better have a good reason to send the LOCI like a promotion, new grades, awards, new job etc. Unless you've been UR since September with no movement, it may come off as a little annoying. How long have you been waiting?

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Would anyone who has toured LMU and LLS be so kind as to PM me any thoughts about the school/area in general? Is it as "hood" as USC? I'm kind of a noob with Loyola, as it was a last second decision to apply. Scholly money is making me consider it though.

Thanks in advance! :D

bluegreen

Postby bluegreen » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:12 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:Would anyone who has toured LMU and LLS be so kind as to PM me any thoughts about the school/area in general? Is it as "hood" as USC? I'm kind of a noob with Loyola, as it was a last second decision to apply. Scholly money is making me consider it though.

+1 please :)

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:22 pm

bluegreen wrote:
same. am i the only crazy one that may commute from the west side every day if I choose to attend ;\?

I have not yet decided where I will be living, in the (likely) event that I attend LLS. The westside is a good option, but more expensive than I'd like. I've considered Glendale or Pasadena, as well as North Hollywood or Longbeach, in which case I'd take the metro and get some study time in. I'm relatively sure I will not be living downtown; anywhere suitable for my situation would simply be too expensive.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:29 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:Would anyone who has toured LMU and LLS be so kind as to PM me any thoughts about the school/area in general? Is it as "hood" as USC? I'm kind of a noob with Loyola, as it was a last second decision to apply. Scholly money is making me consider it though.

Please see below. :)

CO2016YEAH wrote:
bluegreen wrote:Has anyone visited the school or can anyone speak to the location of it/campus quality? Is there a thread on this anywhere? I am familiar with LA but used to live in a bubble on the West side..

There is some discussion on this a couple pages back. The area is a little dicey, but the more I go over there the more it grows on me. It is just on the other side of the 110 from LA Live. The area is a little worn and there are lots of apartment buildings in the neighborhood side streets that seem a little worn. There are probably some reasonable rental deals around. It's not a glitsy part of DT really by any stretch, but is near some of the attractions, like Staples.

The campus itself is very nice and seems quite secure. The buildings are all relatively modern. The classrooms, library, computer lab, and office areas are all very nice. The entire campus is enclosed by a perimeter fence and security apparently does a good job of keeping out any local riff raff. :)

You should arrange a tour. I had been by the campus during winter and have driven around the neighborhood on the weekends, but going during the week when the place was in full swing gave me a different feel for it.

Edit: There is more info here ---> viewtopic.php?f=7&t=197767&start=200

Not trying to be a smart ass, just pointing you to the discussion and various points of view that have already been layed out. While I'm not a complete expert, I'd be happy to answer specifics by PM as best as I can, with the info that I have gathered on my various trips to the area.

Oh, and I've not been to the USC campus, but I understand the USC area is substantially worse on the whole.

lt_universe

Postby lt_universe » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:40 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
lt_universe wrote:Anyone going to the Student Host Day on March 22?

Unlikely. I've taken a guided tour to scope the place out, so it seems a bit unnecessary (but interesting). Ultimately, I have a final that morning and don't really see it working out.

You?

Yeah. I'll be there. I've lived in the LA area my whole life and never been.

martymoose

Postby martymoose » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:54 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
bluegreen wrote:
same. am i the only crazy one that may commute from the west side every day if I choose to attend ;\?

I have not yet decided where I will be living, in the (likely) event that I attend LLS. The westside is a good option, but more expensive than I'd like. I've considered Glendale or Pasadena, as well as North Hollywood or Longbeach, in which case I'd take the metro and get some study time in. I'm relatively sure I will not be living downtown; anywhere suitable for my situation would simply be too expensive.

"Crazy" is my commute. I live in Newbury Park, which isn't even in the same county. I used to live in Santa Monica, but I moved out here a couple years ago (long story).

My tentative plan is to drive about 20 minutes to Moorpark and ride the train to Union Station. From there, it should be 5 or 10 minutes by Red Line to 7th and Figueroa where I will pick up the shuttle to school. My hope is that I can use this time on the train to get some work done. My day will have about 3 hours or more of commute in it, but the actual amount of attention required from me should be much less than if I still lived on the westside and had to drive down the 10 everyday.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:07 pm

martymoose wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:
bluegreen wrote:

"Crazy" is my commute. I live in Newbury Park, which isn't even in the same county. I used to live in Santa Monica, but I moved out here a couple years ago (long story).

My tentative plan is to drive about 20 minutes to Moorpark and ride the train to Union Station. From there, it should be 5 or 10 minutes by Red Line to 7th and Figueroa where I will pick up the shuttle to school. My hope is that I can use this time on the train to get some work done. My day will have about 3 hours or more of commute in it, but the actual amount of attention required from me should be much less than if I still lived on the westside and had to drive down the 10 everyday.

That's a heck of a commute, but sound reasoning. Don't you think you'll get sick of that pretty quickly, though?

martymoose

Postby martymoose » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:57 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:
martymoose wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:
bluegreen wrote:

That's a heck of a commute, but sound reasoning. Don't you think you'll get sick of that pretty quickly, though?

The alternative is Pepperdine, which is a good half an hour from everywhere, so really it's about the same in terms of driving. I can read or type on a laptop on the train as easily as I can in the library or at home. I'm going to test it a few times before I make up my mind.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:47 am

martymoose wrote:The alternative is Pepperdine, which is a good half an hour from everywhere, so really it's about the same in terms of driving. I can read or type on a laptop on the train as easily as I can in the library or at home. I'm going to test it a few times before I make up my mind.

Sounds like a good plan. I haven't been admitted to Pepperdine yet, but one issue I've envisioned is having a hard time finding somewhere affordable to live. I was venturing through the Canyons on the weekend, though, and it seems like there might be some availabity out your way (or Calabasas, Thousand Oaks, etc.). But you're right; all of that is kind of out in the sticks a bit.

EMlawgurl

Postby EMlawgurl » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:05 am

I'll be at the Student Host day this Thursday.

As far as where to live, I was thinking about Culver City/Santa Monica area. Not sure if that is going to be too far of a commute for me everyday.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:07 am

EMlawgurl wrote:I'll be at the Student Host day this Thursday.

As far as where to live, I was thinking about Culver City/Santa Monica area. Not sure if that is going to be too far of a commute for me everyday.

SM could be pushing it depending how willing you are to go early/leave late etc.

Sevenkingdoms

Postby Sevenkingdoms » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:37 am

In at LMU. Stats: 3.93/174.

Complete 2/8; in 2/15.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:39 am

Both are about 13 miles, so not really that far. The 10 during any time close to peak periods is a pain in the a$$, though. However, all freeways out of downtown, I believe, are a pain in the a$$ around peak times (I'm not saying "rush hour," as this is really too limiting of a term to describe L.A. traffic).

I think it is close to about as good as you can get, unless you want to pay the extra and/or put up with a crappy area to be in the core and near campus.

I'd hate to advocate something that could get someone killed, but I'm convinced that a motorcycle is the best way to deal with getting around L.A. :)

Edit: 15 miles from Santa Monica and 9.5 from Culver City. I guess if you average the two I was more or less correct. :)
Last edited by CO2016YEAH on Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:48 am

Sevenkingdoms wrote:In at LMU. Stats: 3.93/174.

Complete 2/8; in 2/15.

Congrats! Where are you planning on attending?

martymoose

Postby martymoose » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:34 am

CO2016YEAH wrote:

Both are about 13 miles, so not really that far. The 10 during any time close to peak periods is a pain in the a$$, though. However, all freeways out of downtown, I believe, are a pain in the a$$ around peak times (I'm not saying "rush hour," as this is really too limiting of a term to describe L.A. traffic).

I think it is close to about as good as you can get, unless you want to pay the extra and/or put up with a crappy area to be in the core and near campus.

I'd hate to advocate something that could get someone killed, but I'm convinced that a motorcycle is the best way to deal with getting around L.A. :)

Edit: 15 miles from Santa Monica and 9.5 from Culver City. I guess if you average the two I was more or less correct. :)

I lived about half my long life in Santa Monica. It's obviously much nicer than downtown, but traffic on the westside has become pretty insane. Driving in the morning from my old house (about 15 miles from Loyola) would probably take a good 45 minutes. Heck it used to take me a good 10 or 15 minutes just to get to the freeway. CC would be closer and cheaper, with slightly higher crime, but still better than downtown.

I've thought about riding a motorcycle just to defeat traffic and I still may go that route. The downsides for that would still be that it's time driving instead of studying, and it also can be fatiguing having to weave through traffic. The upside is the freedom to come and go as I like.
Last edited by martymoose on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

dproduct

Postby dproduct » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:36 am

martymoose wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:

I lived about half my long life in Santa Monica. It's obviously much nicer than downtown, but traffic on the westside has become pretty insane. Driving in the morning from my old house (about 15 miles from Loyola) would probably take a good 45 minutes. Heck it used to take me a good 10 or 15 minutes just to get to the freeway. CC would be closer and cheaper, with slightly higher crime, but still better than downtown.

I've thought about riding a motorcycle just to defeat traffic and I still may go that route. The downsides for that would still be that it's time driving instead of studying, and it also can be fatiguing having to weave through traffic.

Even the drive from SM to CC can be lulzy at certain times of day. Cannot tell you how many evenings/mornings I had mental breakdowns going down Westwood -> Overland. Sheesh.

totalgleek

Postby totalgleek » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:52 am

im guessing they dont offer travel stipends for 'host days'
but they did give me money, anyone know?
Last edited by totalgleek on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

martymoose

Postby martymoose » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:03 pm

I'm no real estate agent, but I see a number of people talking about living in Santa Monica or Culver City. However, if I were new to the area, I think I might might consider something in the Los Feliz area. It's going to be a lot cheaper than the westside and a little closer to school. It's no slum, though. There are some decent neighborhoods with lovely views. No place is perfect, but if living downtown freaks you out, it might be a good option.

CO2016YEAH

Postby CO2016YEAH » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:51 pm

martymoose wrote:I'm no real estate agent, but I see a number of people talking about living in Santa Monica or Culver City. However, if I were new to the area, I think I might might consider something in the Los Feliz area. It's going to be a lot cheaper than the westside and a little closer to school. It's no slum, though. There are some decent neighborhoods with lovely views. No place is perfect, but if living downtown freaks you out, it might be a good option.

Thanks for the tip. It's also a little closer than Glendale.

leximex21

Postby leximex21 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:02 pm

decision rendered 2/18. let the stalking of the mail man's every move commence. :shock:

shawn1234

Postby shawn1234 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:20 pm

leximex21 wrote:decision rendered 2/18. let the stalking of the mail man's every move commence. :shock:

fingers crossed for you

whsy

Postby whsy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:23 pm

so jealous, i have been complete since 1/4, submitted 12/7... I'm starting to think the long wait means bad news...

leximex21

Postby leximex21 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:36 pm

shawn1234 wrote:
leximex21 wrote:decision rendered 2/18. let the stalking of the mail man's every move commence. :shock:

fingers crossed for you

Thank youuu! I really want this

MASSattack1

Postby MASSattack1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:23 pm

whsy wrote:so jealous, i have been complete since 1/4, submitted 12/7... I'm starting to think the long wait means bad news...

Exactly my thoughts...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”