Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
maxiguess

Bronze

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by maxiguess » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:18 pm

40%?? Christ.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:44 pm

mip1011 wrote: As for the location of the campus, I really liked it. It seemed like a vibrant and family oriented neighborhood, but many of the prospective students seemed worried about it. I'm not from (and don't know much about) LA, so maybe I just didn't know what I was looking for, but I've seen schools in MUCH worse places, where students are delighted to attend and live.
Haha well I wouldn't say it's the nicest neighborhood but its not terrible. We're right by koreatown and down the street from LA Live. I've never felt unsafe (we have security on campus) and we do stuff like walk to LA Live all the time. As long as you don't walk in the wrong areas alone at night it's not a scary place to be at all.

martymoose

New

Post by martymoose » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:11 pm

I don't want to depress or dissuade anyone, but it is a high crime area. I don't mean to beat up on this particular neighborhood, though. Anywhere around downtown, south down the Harbor Fwy or down the 405 from that area sees a lot of crime. It's densely populated and tough to police. I recommend the buddy system if you're going to go walking around the neighborhood. The campus, though, seems nicely self contained with good security.

Maybe if you wear a t-shirt that says "Future Defense Attorney" the criminals will leave you alone?

teiswei

Silver

Post by teiswei » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:17 pm

martymoose wrote:I don't want to depress or dissuade anyone, but it is a high crime area. I don't mean to beat up on this particular neighborhood, though. Anywhere around downtown, south down the Harbor Fwy or down the 405 from that area sees a lot of crime. It's densely populated and tough to police. I recommend the buddy system if you're going to go walking around the neighborhood. The campus, though, seems nicely self contained with good security.

Maybe if you wear a t-shirt that says "Future Defense Attorney" the criminals will leave you alone?
This can also be said about USC. I agree, it's something you should be aware of though.

nba101790

Bronze

Post by nba101790 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:18 pm

martymoose wrote:I don't want to depress or dissuade anyone, but it is a high crime area. I don't mean to beat up on this particular neighborhood, though. Anywhere around downtown, south down the Harbor Fwy or down the 405 from that area sees a lot of crime. It's densely populated and tough to police. I recommend the buddy system if you're going to go walking around the neighborhood. The campus, though, seems nicely self contained with good security.

I'd agree with this. Even walking over to LA Live is a bit dicey as you have to cross the 405 (not literally).

Correlative question: How's the parking situation on campus?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Scootz

New

Post by Scootz » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:31 pm

in at loyola with scholarship money

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:47 pm

nba101790 wrote:

I'd agree with this. Even walking over to LA Live is a bit dicey as you have to cross the 405 (not literally).

Correlative question: How's the parking situation on campus?
I mean, you cross the street where there's an exit to the 405. That happens all over LA though...

If you pay for parking (about 600 per year) then you get to park in the parking garage. If there are no more spaces they valet your car for you. So you are always guaranteed parking. Everyone who drives to school pays for parking, I've never heard of anyone parking on the street. That seems like a hassle/dangerous/and inconvenient because most of us keep our books in our cars and go to them in between classes.

cheymao

New

Post by cheymao » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:09 pm

In today via snail mail!!

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:24 pm

maxiguess wrote:40%?? Christ.
Seriously.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bluegreen

Bronze

Post by bluegreen » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:33 pm

cheymao wrote:In today via snail mail!!
when was your "decision rendered"?

cheymao

New

Post by cheymao » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:14 pm

bluegreen wrote:
cheymao wrote:In today via snail mail!!
when was your "decision rendered"?
1/22

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:07 am

What is this talk of the 405??? I can see the 405 from my bedroom window at about the closest point that it is to LLS, and we are still a solid 10 (or more) miles West.

I will also say that while I am not yet a student of LLS I am an L.A. resident and I have been in the area a number of times. From my experience and having checked out the area immediately around campus upon being admitted, "family oriented" is not how I would describe the area. While the campus is nice, it is enclosed by a 12' or higher perimeter fence with controlled access.

There are apartment complexes (some upscale, many not so much) in the immediate area. I would estimate that the nicer ("luxury" end) places will be at least $2k. Sure, there are plenty of apartments that are more affordable in the nearby vicinity and neighboring Korea Town. While some parts of the downtown core and nearby areas are better then others, make no mistake that this is still downtown L.A. USC's neighborhood has been mentioned in comparison, but take note that USC is located in what was formerly known as "South Central;" this should mean something to anyone that came up in the 80s and 90s.

In all honesty, I will likely be attending LLS and my current neighborhood (West L.A./Culver City/Santa Monica) also has its fair share of crime. I just don't want anyone under any delusions that LLS is in a family oriented suburban area. It is located in the heart of a major urban center, and one of the more tarnished parts of it.

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:10 am

Oops yeah not the 405 :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:22 am

Pleasye wrote:Oops yeah not the 405 :lol:
Maybe you mean to 110? The L.A. live is on the other side of that from LLS.

Anyhow. I'd walk around the area alone, maybe even at night. But I also used to live in the part of a city where people were regularly seen smoking crack in alleys an around corners at daylight. The trick to walking around at night was to pretend I was literally crazier than anyone I would encounter. But I wouldn't want to raise my kid there, and I don't particularly intend on moving my family to the immediate area around Loyola either. :)

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:31 am

CO2016YEAH wrote:

Anyhow. I'd walk around the area alone, maybe even at night. But I also used to live in the part of a city where people were regularly seen smoking crack in alleys an around corners at daylight. The trick to walking around at night was to pretend I was literally crazier than anyone I would encounter. But I wouldn't want to raise my kid there, and I don't particularly intend on moving my family to the immediate area around Loyola either. :)
This is solid advice for surviving LA. Whether, Santa Monica, Weho, Silverlake, Echo Park, DT or Crenshaw. Just act fucking insane and people will not wanna deal with your ass. I often look like the unabomber while shopping at Trader Joe's and people stay away.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:39 am

dproduct wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:

This is solid advice for surviving LA. Whether, Santa Monica, Weho, Silverlake, Echo Park, DT or Crenshaw. Just act fucking insane and people will not wanna deal with your ass. I often look like the unabomber while shopping at Trader Joe's and people stay away.

Lol! Sad that this is the way it has to be, but true. Don't get me wrong, people can be nice, too. But when you see that weird/dangerous looking dude coming close at 2am a tweeker-shake and talking to yourself will go a long ways. :)

Pleasye

Platinum

Post by Pleasye » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:56 am

CO2016YEAH wrote:

It is the 110 but I was just repeating what someone else said. Point was that it is just a normal crosswalk that happens to be a freeway exit.

I grew up in LA so maybe that is why I am also not particularly sketched out by LLS' surrounding area. I definitely wouldn't describe it as a vibrant family oriented neighborhood but we are across the street from some type of school? Lol. I'm female so I wouldn't walk around really any areas at night but as long as I have a buddy I'm cool.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:13 am

So anyone else with the 90k just waiting to see if LMU forks over more before deciding? I wonder how many full-rides they issue... I'll sell a family member for one.

Psib337

Bronze

Post by Psib337 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:15 am

OK question, are Loyola and USC (waiting to hear back from both) the kind of bad neighborhoods where as long as you're not doing something completely stupid you'll be fine? By that I mean as long as you aren't walking around alone in the middle of the night with your iPhone in your hand, headphones in so you can't hear what's going on around you, talking about how much money you have etc. If anyone's been to Penn/Drexel or Temple is it similar to those areas? They're not great areas (even though the schools are moving out into the neighborhood more and more) but generally as long as you're street smart you'll be fine. I can't tell if I wind up going to Loyola or USC if I should invest in a bullet proof vest or if it's just an urban neighborhood where you should be aware of your surroundings (which personally I think you should do in any city whether you're in a nice neighborhood or a not so nice neighborhood).

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:19 am

dproduct wrote:So anyone else with the 90k just waiting to see if LMU forks over more before deciding? I wonder how many full-rides they issue... I'll sell a family member for one.
Well, I'm not sending in my seat deposit just yet. I'm not necessarily holding out for more, though. In all honesty, I'm kind of at the bottom at the range for scholarship money, I think. So I'm pretty grateful to have gotten the 90k.

I'm not really expecting that this offer is entirely flexible, at least not for me. I'm still waiting to weigh other offers, though. I got the ding at UCLA the other day, though. So LLS is becoming more and more the L.A. option, and there are compelling and preferential reasons for me to stay in L.A.

dproduct

Gold

Post by dproduct » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:20 am

Psib337 wrote:OK question, are Loyola and USC (waiting to hear back from both) the kind of bad neighborhoods where as long as you're not doing something completely stupid you'll be fine? By that I mean as long as you aren't walking around alone in the middle of the night with your iPhone in your hand, headphones in so you can't hear what's going on around you, talking about how much money you have etc. If anyone's been to Penn/Drexel or Temple is it similar to those areas? They're not great areas (even though the schools are moving out into the neighborhood more and more) but generally as long as you're street smart you'll be fine. I can't tell if I wind up going to Loyola or USC if I should invest in a bullet proof vest or if it's just an urban neighborhood where you should be aware of your surroundings (which personally I think you should do in any city whether you're in a nice neighborhood or a not so nice neighborhood).
So it's not as bad as Temple area... but not as nice as Penn area. No need for a bullet-proof vest. IMO, the area near USC is far worse than LMU. Wrong turn outside of USC and you are in some really gnarly shit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JSizzle89

New

Post by JSizzle89 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:30 am

In with 90k!

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:25 am

dproduct wrote:
Psib337 wrote:OK question, are Loyola and USC (waiting to hear back from both) the kind of bad neighborhoods where as long as you're not doing something completely stupid you'll be fine? By that I mean as long as you aren't walking around alone in the middle of the night with your iPhone in your hand, headphones in so you can't hear what's going on around you, talking about how much money you have etc. If anyone's been to Penn/Drexel or Temple is it similar to those areas? They're not great areas (even though the schools are moving out into the neighborhood more and more) but generally as long as you're street smart you'll be fine. I can't tell if I wind up going to Loyola or USC if I should invest in a bullet proof vest or if it's just an urban neighborhood where you should be aware of your surroundings (which personally I think you should do in any city whether you're in a nice neighborhood or a not so nice neighborhood).
So it's not as bad as Temple area... but not as nice as Penn area. No need for a bullet-proof vest. IMO, the area near USC is far worse than LMU. Wrong turn outside of USC and you are in some really gnarly shit.
not totally true either, neither is in anywhere near as bad of an area as people give it credit for. you don't even need to be that aware to be honest as a UG at USC, they are so highly invested in security that its kinda ridiculous, at no point do i feel unsafe, even looking back at stumbling drunk home from our one bar. loyola is downtown, which is, comparatively, a better area, so there is no reason to be all that worried

lt_universe

New

Post by lt_universe » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:06 pm

dproduct wrote:So anyone else with the 90k just waiting to see if LMU forks over more before deciding? I wonder how many full-rides they issue... I'll sell a family member for one.
I'm doing the same. Waiting to hear back from Hastings though, which may change some things if I get in

martymoose

New

Post by martymoose » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:14 pm

I've lived and worked in LA all my life and I went to SC as an undergrad. I wouldn't go for a stroll by myself in either neighborhood (and I am not be messed with! :wink:) . The schools themselves have great security. It's just when you get away from them that problems happen.

The LA Times does a lot of charting of demographics and crime statistics in LA. Of the 272 neighborhoods they cover, the neighborhoods around USC and LLS are within the top (or bottom if you like) 50 for crime, which is not great.

Violent Crime

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”