Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Scootz

New

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by Scootz » Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:10 pm

so pepperdine just upped my scholarship again and I have yet to ever send them a single deposit... I wonder if they really messed up on their admissions cycle to be upping scholarship amounts so late in the cycle...

Pepperdine is now offering me slightly more money than Loyola, however I am still leaning towards Loyola....

well.let's.see

New

Post by well.let's.see » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:31 pm

Scootz wrote:so pepperdine just upped my scholarship again and I have yet to ever send them a single deposit... I wonder if they really messed up on their admissions cycle to be upping scholarship amounts so late in the cycle...

Pepperdine is now offering me slightly more money than Loyola, however I am still leaning towards Loyola....
They did the same for me. Though I'd rather live in Malibu, I'd rather got to school downtown.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:33 pm

Scootz wrote:so pepperdine just upped my scholarship again and I have yet to ever send them a single deposit... I wonder if they really messed up on their admissions cycle to be upping scholarship amounts so late in the cycle...

Same here. It's tempting, but my connections are in LA.

shawn1234

New

Post by shawn1234 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:12 pm

bluegreen wrote:
fab wrote:Withdrawing out of LLS (more money at Pepperdine).

-Sidenote... I didn't appreciate that antagonistic email regarding multiple deposits. One of my reasons for withdrawing.

Good luck to WL.
A friend of mine called them about it and was told that "most law schools do this" and "most law schools aren't okay with multiple second deposits"
:shock:
i know for a fact that last cycle, LLS did not require withdrawing a seat due to multiple deposits, although they did send an email if you had multiple deposits essentially saying "make up your mind by (date)" or your seat would likely be forfeited. i agree, the email was antagonistic coming from #68, with 77% UNemployed at graduation, 53% UNemployed 9 mo's after grad, and really stingy with scholly's... I'm out, hope it frees up some scholly $ for y'all and good luck.

bluegreen

Bronze

Post by bluegreen » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:22 am

shawn1234 wrote:
bluegreen wrote:
fab wrote:Withdrawing out of LLS (more money at Pepperdine).

-Sidenote... I didn't appreciate that antagonistic email regarding multiple deposits. One of my reasons for withdrawing.

Good luck to WL.
A friend of mine called them about it and was told that "most law schools do this" and "most law schools aren't okay with multiple second deposits"
:shock:
i know for a fact that last cycle, LLS did not require withdrawing a seat due to multiple deposits, although they did send an email if you had multiple deposits essentially saying "make up your mind by (date)" or your seat would likely be forfeited. i agree, the email was antagonistic coming from #68, with 77% UNemployed at graduation, 53% UNemployed 9 mo's after grad, and really stingy with scholly's... I'm out, hope it frees up some scholly $ for y'all and good luck.
I'm out too for a variety of reasons, one of them being their attitude about seat deposits (wtf considering those stats). Hope someone else gets my seat and 90K.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

well.let's.see

New

Post by well.let's.see » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:40 pm

Why is everyone so upset that LLS doesn't fancy multiple deposits? Am I missing something? I mean, it seems reasonable that they'd be against such things, no?

bluegreen

Bronze

Post by bluegreen » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:12 pm

well.let's.see wrote:Why is everyone so upset that LLS doesn't fancy multiple deposits? Am I missing something? I mean, it seems reasonable that they'd be against such things, no?
Theyre the only school that I received an email from that stated this:

A special note about multiple deposits
We understand that selecting a law school is a difficult process and one of the most important decisions you will make. We hope you have visited campus, met our law faculty and become familiar with our clinics and programs. By submitting a second deposit, you commit to attend Loyola. Please do not submit second deposits to multiple schools. We reserve the right to immediately cancel your scholarship, financial aid and space in the entering class if you appear on LSAC’s (Law School Admission Council) multiple depositors list (Unfortunately, we have had to this in the past.)

They bolded that last part, not me.

Epyon!

New

Post by Epyon! » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:55 pm

bluegreen wrote:
well.let's.see wrote:Why is everyone so upset that LLS doesn't fancy multiple deposits? Am I missing something? I mean, it seems reasonable that they'd be against such things, no?
Theyre the only school that I received an email from that stated this:

A special note about multiple deposits
We understand that selecting a law school is a difficult process and one of the most important decisions you will make. We hope you have visited campus, met our law faculty and become familiar with our clinics and programs. By submitting a second deposit, you commit to attend Loyola. Please do not submit second deposits to multiple schools. We reserve the right to immediately cancel your scholarship, financial aid and space in the entering class if you appear on LSAC’s (Law School Admission Council) multiple depositors list (Unfortunately, we have had to this in the past.)

They bolded that last part, not me.
Reflects the circumstances/condition of the current admission cycle more than anything else.

Wishfulthinker

New

Post by Wishfulthinker » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:24 pm

Any WL activity yet? :?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nikkit91

New

Post by nikkit91 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:48 pm

Wishfulthinker wrote:Any WL activity yet? :?
did you also get the waitlist reconfirmation letter on the 14th?

Wishfulthinker

New

Post by Wishfulthinker » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:08 pm

I did. I'm wondering when there will be some movement. It's been so quiet in here. Unless people are just not posting about it...

Scootz

New

Post by Scootz » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:33 pm

Has anyone heard anything from the school lately?

Im assuming were just waiting for financial aid information and the August 12th orientation, correct?

Btw, hi all, its been awhile :)

whsy

Bronze

Post by whsy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:50 pm

I got a sad little lunch bag to help me out with saving.... that was about it... and did I read somewhere that orientation is 5 days? And anyone know when classes start? I read on the fb page that fin aid info will be available early july

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Wishfulthinker

New

Post by Wishfulthinker » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:06 pm

Classes begin on August 19th

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:03 am

Hey guys.

Don't forget about this thread. http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=204236

Shema

New

Post by Shema » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:06 am

Just heard from my friend who finished her 1L year at Loyola this past Spring (a rising 2L) and rankings just came out. She is in the top 10% worked really hard and even is working this summer at a firm. She took a lot of advice from TLS and I was also happy to give her any insights I had. Moral of the story is that TLS is a healthy part of a successful 1L's diet (lol). Although she is putting in apps for transfer I thought her story might be inspiration for those of you gunning (or just have the goal) for earning good grades. Around this same time next year you will be finding out your class ranking and the preparation really starts now.

radar714

Bronze

Post by radar714 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:36 am

withdrew today, 150k back in the pot for y'all. Good luck to those waiting and to those accepted, try to negotiate and snag some of that money!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Wishfulthinker

New

Post by Wishfulthinker » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:42 pm

Shema wrote:Just heard from my friend who finished her 1L year at Loyola this past Spring (a rising 2L) and rankings just came out. She is in the top 10% worked really hard and even is working this summer at a firm. She took a lot of advice from TLS and I was also happy to give her any insights I had. Moral of the story is that TLS is a healthy part of a successful 1L's diet (lol). Although she is putting in apps for transfer I thought her story might be inspiration for those of you gunning (or just have the goal) for earning good grades. Around this same time next year you will be finding out your class ranking and the preparation really starts now.

Thanks for sharing this. Feeling inspired. :)

Shema

New

Post by Shema » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:34 pm

I probably should have mentioned this earlier (a lot earlier), however, the Loyola 1L tutor I worked with prepares full-time Loyola 0L's for their courses completely free during the summer as part of his non-profit program. He started doing it last semester during the summer before fall. The friend I mentioned earlier who is in the class of 2015 and ranked in the top 10% actually took advantage of the summer program and says that they covered most courses black letter law up to about mid-semester and that the biggest benefit was the help developing exam skills without the pressure of day to day law school demands (reading, leactures, legal research and writing deadlines and etc.) I think the big benefit is that after the free sessions you will know much more than your peers about the areas of law in your classes which means you can spend your time completing your outline early and getting a head start on exam prep while your competition is struggling to figure things out. Since 0L's on TLS are pretty serious and may be interested I thought you should know. Programs like Law Preview are expensive and LEEWS get mixed reviews but this guy actually has specific experience with Loyola professors, courses and exams. The benefit is that it would give you a head start on courses, outlining and building exam taking skills. The draw back is that you would have to start over the summer and before the semester begins. Why does he do it free? Well, for selfish reasons it is probably for marketing some of the private tutoring he does during the Fall and Spring semester but I think also he gets some grant money so he has a duty to see that the money is used to satisfy the non-profits mission statement. Let me know if you would like his info.

Shema

New

Post by Shema » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:36 pm

radar714 wrote:withdrew today, 150k back in the pot for y'all. Good luck to those waiting and to those accepted, try to negotiate and snag some of that money!
Don't keep me in suspense. To what greener pastures are you headed and if it isn't too forward of me to ask who much are they paying you to attend ($150k is a lot of cash to turn away from).

shawn1234

New

Post by shawn1234 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:38 pm

anyone attending without scholarship assistance? Am I crazy to think paying anything close to sticker for LLS is crazy (actually ANY school not in T20)??? I just had a long debate with someone about this...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

radar714

Bronze

Post by radar714 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:57 pm

Shema wrote:
radar714 wrote:withdrew today, 150k back in the pot for y'all. Good luck to those waiting and to those accepted, try to negotiate and snag some of that money!
Don't keep me in suspense. To what greener pastures are you headed and if it isn't too forward of me to ask who much are they paying you to attend ($150k is a lot of cash to turn away from).
Got into USC off WL with 60k. It was very tough to turn down but ultimately this is why I chose USC:

- I'm from LA and will have no CoL (living at home), and I'm lucky that my family has offered to cover my tuition costs
- Loyola scholly wasn't guaranteed, even the full ride came with the standard 3.2 stipulation (I tried getting it waived to no avail). I believe in myself and I don't think I would've lost it, but USC's is completely guaranteed so long as I don't fail out. I have a lot of friends that are currently at Loyola (from USC and childhood friends from LA) and a couple of them have lost their schollys so the possibility just seemed a little too real for me.
- USC's employment stats are pretty good, and I also went to USC for UG and bleed cardinal and gold.

All in all it was a tough choice especially since I know like 50 people at loyola and they all love it, but I think I made the right choice. Hope this helps and GL to all still waiting!

Shema

New

Post by Shema » Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:15 pm

shawn1234 wrote:anyone attending without scholarship assistance? Am I crazy to think paying anything close to sticker for LLS is crazy (actually ANY school not in T20)??? I just had a long debate with someone about this...
The answer to this all depends on what your goals are at Loyola. Do you have connections for employment? Do you have a particular niche that sets you apart from other students. Some students speak a foreign language that adds value to what they can bring an employer or they have a background in the sciences or in finance that an employer can benefit from. I came into loyola with a goal of transferring so I did everything I could to set that ball in motion from day one of being admitted. A little more insight into what you are after and the resources you currently have at your disposal would help to really answer your question.

bne

New

Post by bne » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:45 pm

Has anyone received their official award letter yet?

Scootz

New

Post by Scootz » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:46 pm

Quick questions for anyone who knows:

-Do many students use laptops to take notes in class? What about voice recorders to record lectures?

-Do you type or hand write answers to essay questions?

If someone could answer these questions for me I would greatly appreciate it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”