Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CO2016YEAH

Silver

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by CO2016YEAH » Fri May 17, 2013 1:52 pm

onionskin wrote:I'm out. Good luck to those still waiting.
Where are you going?

onionskin

Bronze

Post by onionskin » Sat May 18, 2013 6:26 am

Not sure yet. Do you have any suggestions?

ETA: I see you've already made some.

WHAT.happens.LARRY

New

Post by WHAT.happens.LARRY » Sun May 19, 2013 1:45 am

onionskin wrote:Not sure yet. Do you have any suggestions?

ETA: I see you've already made some.

Well that's just like, your opinion man.

onionskin

Bronze

Post by onionskin » Sun May 19, 2013 2:24 am

Wat?

well.let's.see

New

Post by well.let's.see » Thu May 23, 2013 9:00 pm

Can someone please address the 42.6% under/unemployed statistic before we put down second deposits... Otherwise, retaking.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu May 23, 2013 9:46 pm

well.let's.see wrote:Can someone please address the 42.6% under/unemployed statistic before we put down second deposits... Otherwise, retaking.
If you have even one retake left, you should be retaking (unless you have a 180 or close to it). This is the most important exam in your career.

The statistic refers to the percentage of that specific class that is unemployed (no job) or underemployed (part time legal jobs, short term full/part time legal jobs, non JD needed jobs such as Starbucks).

Edit: These are your stats, no?:
3.8/162 (taken once)

Dear god, please retake. 3.8? Five, six more multiple choice questions correct on your exam = $$ at the lower T14s.

Scootz

New

Post by Scootz » Wed May 29, 2013 2:30 pm

Hey Ladies and Gents,

We have to send an additional copy of transcripts to Loyola, the ones we previously sent to LSAC do not count.

My question is: Does anyone know for certain if we send transcripts to Loyola Marymount University or to the law school itself?

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Wed May 29, 2013 3:41 pm

I`m really torn between 2nd deposit, deferring, or retaking.

- I`m paralegaling at a firm that I'd love to work at after law school. It's niche, biglaw (in that its worldwide and has a ton of attorneys, the office I work for is small), and short hours/big pay. It's pretty solid. I was hired about 10 months ago and didn't tell them I was applying for law school. So leaving now could burn some bridges versus waiting another year and not burning them.

-3.2, 167. So even if I retake and get a 170- what is that giving me? Probably still not acceptance to USC/UCLA. AI have 54k to LLS now, would 170 give me more $?

-Deferring at Loyola is binding. Also, scholly is not deferred.

There will be some sleepless nights for me in the next few days.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Wed May 29, 2013 10:52 pm

Scootz wrote:Hey Ladies and Gents,

We have to send an additional copy of transcripts to Loyola, the ones we previously sent to LSAC do not count.

My question is: Does anyone know for certain if we send transcripts to Loyola Marymount University or to the law school itself?
99.9999% sure they should go to the admissions office at the law school at 919 Albany St. You can call to be sure, but everything else is to be sent there and the Enrollment Confirmation for that reminds you to have your transcripts sent is to be sent to 919 Albany.

Hope this helps!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Wed May 29, 2013 11:03 pm

unclepete wrote:I`m really torn between 2nd deposit, deferring, or retaking.

- I`m paralegaling at a firm that I'd love to work at after law school. It's niche, biglaw (in that its worldwide and has a ton of attorneys, the office I work for is small), and short hours/big pay. It's pretty solid. I was hired about 10 months ago and didn't tell them I was applying for law school. So leaving now could burn some bridges versus waiting another year and not burning them.

-3.2, 167. So even if I retake and get a 170- what is that giving me? Probably still not acceptance to USC/UCLA. AI have 54k to LLS now, would 170 give me more $?

PMd you. I say either go now or retake hoping for more money or a better offer elsewhere. I doubt deferring really stands to improve your position of lessen a potential alienation from your employer.

Let us know what you decide!

I'm a little on the fence about this deposit as well. The employment prospects render this a scary proposition. The prospect of waiting a year leaves a lot of "what ifs." Could be better; could be the same. (Could also be worse...)

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed May 29, 2013 11:27 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:

PMd you. I say either go now or retake hoping for more money or a better offer elsewhere. I doubt deferring really stands to improve your position of lessen a potential alienation from your employer.

I'm a little on the fence about this deposit as well. The employment prospects render this a scary proposition. The prospect of waiting a year leaves a lot of "what ifs." Could be better; could be the same. (Could also be worse...)
The three of us are all in the same effing boat. If my June retake sucks ass, I don't know what to do. I'm pretty confident so far, but I won't know for sure until I get that score in July. The fact that I have to commit so soon is stressing me out a bit. The second deposit means we have to withdraw all our other offers or else LLS will rescind our offers.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Wed May 29, 2013 11:33 pm

Honestly, I don't know why they won't give you more money with a 167. That's 5 points higher than my LSAT. That's the 90 something percentile. My GPA isn't that much higher. Exactly a 3.60 and I got 96k.

bluegreen

Bronze

Post by bluegreen » Thu May 30, 2013 1:29 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:

The three of us are all in the same effing boat. If my June retake sucks ass, I don't know what to do. I'm pretty confident so far, but I won't know for sure until I get that score in July. The fact that I have to commit so soon is stressing me out a bit. The second deposit means we have to withdraw all our other offers or else LLS will rescind our offers.

Wait, submitting the second deposit means we have to withdraw all other offers?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu May 30, 2013 1:30 am

bluegreen wrote: Wait, submitting the second deposit means we have to withdraw all other offers?
Dear ManoftheHour:

This email is a reminder that the deadline to confirm your place at Loyola Law School in the incoming class is approaching. Please remember to complete the Enrollment Confirmation Form and submit it with your $500 second seat deposit by Monday, June 3 at 5:00 pm. Please note that this is the date by which the form and seat deposit must be received not postmarked. Online and over the phone payments are not available.
A special note about multiple deposits
We understand that selecting a law school is a difficult process and one of the most important decisions you will make. We hope you have visited campus, met our law faculty and become familiar with our clinics and programs. By submitting a second deposit, you commit to attend Loyola. Please do not submit second deposits to multiple schools. We reserve the right to immediately cancel your scholarship, financial aid and space in the entering class if you appear on LSAC’s (Law School Admission Council) multiple depositors list. (Unfortunately, we have had to this in the past.) If you need additional assistance with your enrollment decision, feel free to contact Ms. Jannell Lundy Roberts, Assistant Dean of Admissions at jannell.roberts@lls.edu or Dean for Enrollment Management, Mr. John Hoyt at john.hoyt@lls.edu.

It doesn't say we have to withdraw from any waitlists but they're clearly discouraging us from putting down multiple 2nd deposits.

bluegreen

Bronze

Post by bluegreen » Thu May 30, 2013 1:35 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
bluegreen wrote: Wait, submitting the second deposit means we have to withdraw all other offers?
Dear ManoftheHour:

This email is a reminder that the deadline to confirm your place at Loyola Law School in the incoming class is approaching. Please remember to complete the Enrollment Confirmation Form and submit it with your $500 second seat deposit by Monday, June 3 at 5:00 pm. Please note that this is the date by which the form and seat deposit must be received not postmarked. Online and over the phone payments are not available.
We understand that selecting a law school is a difficult process and one of the most important decisions you will make. We hope you have visited campus, met our law faculty and become familiar with our clinics and programs. By submitting a second deposit, you commit to attend Loyola. Please do not submit second deposits to multiple schools. We reserve the right to immediately cancel your scholarship, financial aid and space in the entering class if you appear on LSAC’s (Law School Admission Council) multiple depositors list. (Unfortunately, we have had to this in the past.) If you need additional assistance with your enrollment decision, feel free to contact Ms. Jannell Lundy Roberts, Assistant Dean of Admissions at jannell.roberts@lls.edu or Dean for Enrollment Management, Mr. John Hoyt at john.hoyt@lls.edu.

It doesn't say we have to withdraw from any waitlists but they're clearly discouraging us from putting down multiple 2nd deposits.

ugh, i hadnt opened that email til now, they didnt write that in the paper copy we receive at home. is this the case at ALL law schools? I know all schools can see where you've deposited but do all schools threaten to rescind your offer?

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu May 30, 2013 1:47 am

bluegreen wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
Dear ManoftheHour:

ugh, i hadnt opened that email til now, they didnt write that in the paper copy we receive at home. is this the case at ALL law schools? I know all schools can see where you've deposited but do all schools threaten to rescind your offer?
No. Some schools do this and some don't. Believe me, I looked into this. In their defense, it is almost June. A good amount of 0Ls are looking for housing at this point.

bluegreen

Bronze

Post by bluegreen » Thu May 30, 2013 1:59 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
bluegreen wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:
Dear ManoftheHour:

No. Some schools do this and some don't. Believe me, I looked into this. In their defense, it is almost June. A good amount of 0Ls are looking for housing at this point.

If schools you're waitlisted at can wait til right before class day to tell you, students should have the same right. There are so many factors...as long as we are putting the money down why the F do they care? End of rant. Good luck with your decision - I'm sure it's tough

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Thu May 30, 2013 11:42 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
Dear ManoftheHour:

Omg. I have not received this email. Whaaaaaaaat.

redmessengerbag

New

Post by redmessengerbag » Fri May 31, 2013 12:40 pm

Come in my boat, switch over to evening! Best of both worlds you can always switch back to day program later.

Wishfulthinker

New

Post by Wishfulthinker » Fri May 31, 2013 1:49 pm

edit
Last edited by Wishfulthinker on Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fab

New

Post by fab » Fri May 31, 2013 3:46 pm

Withdrawing out of LLS (more money at Pepperdine).

-Sidenote... I didn't appreciate that antagonistic email regarding multiple deposits. One of my reasons for withdrawing.

Good luck to WL.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bluegreen

Bronze

Post by bluegreen » Fri May 31, 2013 4:15 pm

fab wrote:Withdrawing out of LLS (more money at Pepperdine).

-Sidenote... I didn't appreciate that antagonistic email regarding multiple deposits. One of my reasons for withdrawing.

Good luck to WL.
A friend of mine called them about it and was told that "most law schools do this" and "most law schools aren't okay with multiple second deposits"
:shock:

fab

New

Post by fab » Fri May 31, 2013 4:52 pm

bluegreen wrote:

Good luck to WL.
A friend of mine called them about it and was told that "most law schools do this" and "most law schools aren't okay with multiple second deposits"
That's comical. And borderline abrasive. Either way it's a weak excuse for a prospective student.

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Fri May 31, 2013 6:47 pm

fab wrote:
bluegreen wrote:

Good luck to WL.
That's comical. And borderline abrasive. Either way it's a weak excuse for a prospective student.
Yeah, I've found Loyola to be sort of abrasive and unforgiving all-around. I do understand the multiple second deposits thing, but I prefer not to be lectured at.

whsy

Bronze

Post by whsy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:02 pm

Sent my 2nd deposit priority mail. Apparently they still haven't received my deposit.. anyone else having this problem?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”