Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
unclepete

Bronze

Re: Loyola (Los Angeles) c/o 2016 Applicants (2012-2013)

Post by unclepete » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:08 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:
unclepete wrote:If anybody hears back about negotiating aid, please post ASAP
You got a 167. Why are you here?! Abnormally low GPA?
167 here. 3.2 though. So, yeah.

well.let's.see

New

Post by well.let's.see » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:15 pm

Planning on attending the ASD this Friday. Unfortunately, cannot attend the Dodger Stadium reception on Thursday night, I have previous commitments.

I guess it is all speculation, but what will I be missing on Thursday that I can't/won't get on Friday?

Should I try and move things around to attend Thursday night?

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:26 pm

Filling out the Scholarship Response Form right now

If we are in the process of negotiating scholarship (meaning have not heard back yet) should we mark "Yes, I accept the scholarship offer to Loyola Law School" or "I am still considering my offer and would like to be contacted by the following people: XXX" ?

Is "accepting" the scholarship offer mean you're locking in the current number? Any input here?

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:06 pm

unclepete wrote:Filling out the Scholarship Response Form right now

If we are in the process of negotiating scholarship (meaning have not heard back yet) should we mark "Yes, I accept the scholarship offer to Loyola Law School" or "I am still considering my offer and would like to be contacted by the following people: XXX" ?

Is "accepting" the scholarship offer mean you're locking in the current number? Any input here?
I believe they retain the capability to increase the offer to whatever they want at any time. However, I also believe it is difficult to negotiate a higher offer if you have already indicated that you accept the current offer. Imagine trying to negotiate a lower price on a car after telling the salesperson that you are already going to buy the car without a better deal than was already on the table.

To be completely honest, I submitted the form accepting the offer and then thought that it wouldn't hurt to ask. I was denied outright, with the explanation that they base these on a metric. I believe I would have been unsuccessful even if I had requested to be contacted and indicated the offer was still under my consideration, as I was surprised to receive an offer as high as I did in the first place given my numbers. I think the above advice still holds, though. If you are hoping to negotiate, say you are considering the offer; if you accept the offer absent an increase, respond accordingly.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:10 pm

I thought you indicated a few days ago you were withdrawing, though. Or was this in another thread? Or am I thinking of something completely different altogether? Maybe it was the Hastings thread?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:12 pm

CO2016YEAH wrote:

I thought you indicated a few days ago you were withdrawing, though. Or was this in another thread? Or am I thinking of something completely different altogether? Maybe it was the Hastings thread?
Thank you for the input! Sorry to hear about the failed attempt, but 90k is awesome!

Only school I've withdrawn is USD- maybe you saw it there? Pretty much deciding between LLS and Hastings right now, w/ Davis and ASU as slight possibilities.

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:36 pm

unclepete wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:

Thank you for the input! Sorry to hear about the failed attempt, but 90k is awesome!

Only school I've withdrawn is USD- maybe you saw it there? Pretty much deciding between LLS and Hastings right now, w/ Davis and ASU as slight possibilities.
Ah yes. It was definitely USD. I sent them an email yesterday withdrawing, along with Pepperdine, SMU, and UNLV. Right now I'm also sort of on the fence with Hastings, waiting on Davis and ASU, and considering UF. I've also got a waitlist at UGA and UNC, and I'm waiting on USC.

Ultimately, I think I'm pretty much narrowed down to Loyola, though. Hastings doesn't kick up enough cash and SF if way expensive. UF and Florida are great, but I love Ca. UNC might be wise if I get in, but I lived there once and don't have an aching to go back. USC would be hard to turn down for me if it comes through even at sticker (which it probably won't). So I think my decision is pretty much made.

Aristophanes

New

Post by Aristophanes » Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:07 am

unclepete wrote:To those withdrawing, where are you going?
unclepete, I'll be attending UCI this fall.

onionskin

Bronze

Post by onionskin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:12 am

What made you all choose LLS over USD, considering they are now identically ranked?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:59 am

onionskin wrote:What made you all choose LLS over USD, considering they are now identically ranked?
Loyola gave me a better offer. That, and I really love L.A. Ranking was not really a factor. I did consider that the L.A. market is larger with a larger alumni network and that more students place in larger firms, though. I kinda went with my gut on this. I visited USD and I loved the campus and SD as a whole. L.A. is home, though, and closer to my family etc.

chinchillin

New

Post by chinchillin » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:31 am

Did anyone get a read receipt after submitting their scholarship response form?

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:35 am

chinchillin wrote:Did anyone get a read receipt after submitting their scholarship response form?
Ha. No. I got emails reminding me to submit it. I confirmed with the office afterwards that they received it, though.

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:18 am

onionskin wrote:What made you all choose LLS over USD, considering they are now identically ranked?
I went to UG in San Diego, and want to switch it up. Also, my SO has a great paying job in LA, so COL would be essentially a non issue, which of course is really tough to turn down.

Just need them to up my scholly

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

whsy

Bronze

Post by whsy » Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:45 pm

Really hoping to hear back abt scholarship negotiations soon!

redmessengerbag

New

Post by redmessengerbag » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:24 pm

unclepete wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:

Did you fill it out? I was deciding whether to fill that out...same position, trying to negotiate.

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:43 pm

redmessengerbag wrote:
unclepete wrote:
CO2016YEAH wrote:

Did you fill it out? I was deciding whether to fill that out...same position, trying to negotiate.
Yeah- I used the second option and asked for a financial aid officer to contact me. When they do, I`ll explain that I`m waiting to hear back.

fragrock

Bronze

Post by fragrock » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:33 am

Finally got my acceptance in the mail from Loyola yesterday. I applied early January; I'm a little turned off by how long it took, especially since the ASD is this weekend... doesn't leave a lot of time for planning if I wanted to go. Got the 96K scholarship, which makes it an attractive option - just wish I had heard a month ago so I could have more time to consider.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:59 am

fragrock wrote:Finally got my acceptance in the mail from Loyola yesterday. I applied early January; I'm a little turned off by how long it took, especially since the ASD is this weekend... doesn't leave a lot of time for planning if I wanted to go. Got the 96K scholarship, which makes it an attractive option - just wish I had heard a month ago so I could have more time to consider.
Congrats! I wouldn't sweat the delay too much. They were one of the first schools to roll out a lot of admits early on, so they probably had to wait for scholly acceptance deadline to see where they were at. I applied wither the last week of Sept or first week of Oct (dont remember, but I know it was one of these) and didn't hear till mid Jan.

You did good to get the 96k. Unfortunately I'm out of state at the moment, so I am missing all of the Finn stuff the next couple weeks. Of well. Lots of fun to come :)

onionskin

Bronze

Post by onionskin » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:31 am

I'm still waiting. How long do you get to accept offer?

CO2016YEAH

Silver

Post by CO2016YEAH » Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:21 am

onionskin wrote:I'm still waiting. How long do you get to accept offer?
Original deadline is April 30, but I'm sure they'll give you at least a couple weeks from when they admit you.

whsy

Bronze

Post by whsy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:24 pm

Anyone attending preview day?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

unclepete

Bronze

Post by unclepete » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:17 pm

whsy wrote:Anyone attending preview day?
I think I`ll be there after work, so like 5-5:30ish

redmessengerbag

New

Post by redmessengerbag » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:24 pm

anyone going to scholly reception tonight?

I can't make it to preview day tomorrow.

owlie

New

Post by owlie » Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:47 pm

I am! Not sure what to expect but, worst case scenario I sat in traffic from the west side for no reason. Which probably isn't so different from any other Thursday.

akasabian

Bronze

Post by akasabian » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:46 pm

FINALLY heard from them. 90k vs 138k from Pepperdine with the same stips though...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”