University of Maryland c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bam849

Re: University of Maryland c/o 2016

Postby bam849 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:39 pm

anjulidhiman wrote:Me too :) just received the email.

bam849 wrote:I just heard that someone got in off of the PT waitlist.

IT BEGINS.

Congrats! Still waiting on mine...hopefully the full-time waitlist gets some movement soon.

anjulidhiman

Postby anjulidhiman » Wed May 01, 2013 10:28 am

Thanks, and good luck to you!

bam849 wrote:
anjulidhiman wrote:Me too :) just received the email.

bam849 wrote:I just heard that someone got in off of the PT waitlist.

IT BEGINS.

Congrats! Still waiting on mine...hopefully the full-time waitlist gets some movement soon.

phimu03

Postby phimu03 » Mon May 06, 2013 8:39 am

Does anyone know if any full time waitlist movement has begun or will begin soon...

perfectlylegal1

Postby perfectlylegal1 » Tue May 07, 2013 8:42 am

I have already put my deposit down for umd but am having serious second thoughts after learning more about job prospects. Has anyone else heard anything about the employment situation?

40andlegal

Postby 40andlegal » Tue May 07, 2013 11:09 am

perfectlylegal1 wrote:I have already put my deposit down for umd but am having serious second thoughts after learning more about job prospects. Has anyone else heard anything about the employment situation?

Do you want to work in Maryland?

perfectlylegal1

Postby perfectlylegal1 » Tue May 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Preferably in the DC market

40andlegal

Postby 40andlegal » Tue May 07, 2013 3:34 pm

perfectlylegal1 wrote:Preferably in the DC market

I am a MD resident and have worked in law (paralegal & contract management) for over 8 years. I also spent 3 years working in DC doing policy stuff and I can, with confidence, tell you that if DC is your goal, you will have an uphill battle coming out of MD. It is a great regional school and I will be applying there next cycle. I am rooted in MD so I am OK if I don't get a second look from DC firms. I will be trying my luck though. A girl can dream. However, most UMD graduates end up working in MD. Those who graduate top (very top) of their class have a decent shot at DC but with the overall legal and non-legal employment market being in the toilet right now, you will not be cream of crop to employers when you are competing with GULC, GW, American and even CUA grads. Let's not forget UVA, W&L, and GMU right down the road from DC and of course Howard. And, of course, there will be the HYS folks who have always dreamed of professional life inside the beltway who will also throw their hats into the employment ring.

It is not impossible to end up in DC from UMD. It is just a very difficult journey.

UMD does place quite well in Baltimore and there are a few big firms downtown. And despite what you may hear, those B'More firms do recruit from UMD. T1/T14 grads generally don't want to slum it in Charm City unless they have to. And many of the partners in the B'More firms are UMD alums or have ties to the UMD System. There are also a few large financial firms that have some UMD law grads in their ranks (T. Rowe Price, Brown Advisory come to mind). They also place extremely well in MD government if that interests you.

If Biglaw is your end all be all, UMD is not your golden ticket. If you are just looking to work in the DC legal market, you might be fine if you keep a stellar GPA, journal maybe moot court. Just explore your professional options now. And research ALL firms in the DC area not just the Vault 100. And know you will have to network and put some work into finding employment you enjoy. There are a shit ton of law firms in the DMV. It is pretty ridiculous how many law firms there are here.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Fri May 10, 2013 2:52 pm

Can we talk about how early this deposit deadline is?

ultrasajid

Postby ultrasajid » Mon May 13, 2013 10:10 am

espressocream wrote:Can we talk about how early this deposit deadline is?

Ask for an extension.

perfectlylegal1

Postby perfectlylegal1 » Mon May 13, 2013 10:11 am

Thank you for being so candid. after hearing about your experiences and other practicing attoneys' experiences I am thinking of deferring for a year to build additional contacts at the big 4 accounting firm I work for.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Mon May 13, 2013 11:47 am

ultrasajid wrote:
espressocream wrote:Can we talk about how early this deposit deadline is?

Ask for an extension.

In the process of doing so. I've emailed and called. No response since last week. :?

ultrasajid

Postby ultrasajid » Mon May 13, 2013 12:19 pm

Check your Spam. Mine went there.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Mon May 13, 2013 1:35 pm

ultrasajid wrote:Check your Spam. Mine went there.

Checked and nothing, I called again...we'll see what happens.

ultrasajid

Postby ultrasajid » Thu May 16, 2013 4:49 pm

I was informed today that I'm in this weird middle ground. My original scholarship was for $6k/year, but they bumped it up to $8k/year a few weeks ago. That's just merit based from the Dean's Enrichment Fund. But I guess before that upgrade was processed, they also decided that I was eligible for a $4k need-based university grant. The catch is that if I get more than $6k of merit aid, I am no longer eligible for need-based grants. So basically, they've given me the choice between $8k merit aid or $6k merit aid + $4k need-based grants. The merit aid is based on good standing, but the university grant depends on your FAFSA eligibility filings every year. I'll certainly still be eligible for the university grant every year of school since I probably won't get a job that pays me much more than I make working full-time now, so I'll likely choose the $10k total option.

My advisor said that they have maybe four or five people a year in this situation. Weirdness.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Fri May 17, 2013 1:42 pm

ultrasajid wrote:I was informed today that I'm in this weird middle ground. My original scholarship was for $6k/year, but they bumped it up to $8k/year a few weeks ago. That's just merit based from the Dean's Enrichment Fund. But I guess before that upgrade was processed, they also decided that I was eligible for a $4k need-based university grant. The catch is that if I get more than $6k of merit aid, I am no longer eligible for need-based grants. So basically, they've given me the choice between $8k merit aid or $6k merit aid + $4k need-based grants. The merit aid is based on good standing, but the university grant depends on your FAFSA eligibility filings every year. I'll certainly still be eligible for the university grant every year of school since I probably won't get a job that pays me much more than I make working full-time now, so I'll likely choose the $10k total option.

My advisor said that they have maybe four or five people a year in this situation. Weirdness.

Do you have other offers that you could use as leverage to up the $8k if you chose the merit aid? I know it's risky, but it could be worth it.

crossingfingers

Postby crossingfingers » Sat May 25, 2013 3:52 pm

I received a call yesterday to let me know that they were evaluating waitlist candidates and wanted to gauge my interest. They also asked flat out if I would attend if admitted. I didn't want to lie, so I said that frankly I was fortunate enough to have strong options at this point but that I would strongly consider UMD with the right financial aid options. I was a bit scattered (I was at work and hadn't been ready for the "will you come if we offer" question, so I was a bit bumbly and felt like I blew it after I hung up. They emailed a few minutes later with my acceptance.

That's basically a long winded suggestion for those still waiting that you should be ready to articulate your interest if you get a call from the office. Best of luck!

taxnstuff

Postby taxnstuff » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Im a 3L that also went to undergrad in Baltimore (Loyola), if anyone has any questions about the school or the area I'll probably be lurking due to the boring nature of my current job.

nedzilla

Postby nedzilla » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:48 am

ultrasajid wrote:According to LSN, that's true, although a few folks also get a paid faculty research position worth $4000 a year for 2L & 3L.

Does anyone here have more info/experience about this program?

samex96

Postby samex96 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:27 am

crossingfingers wrote:I received a call yesterday to let me know that they were evaluating waitlist candidates and wanted to gauge my interest. They also asked flat out if I would attend if admitted. I didn't want to lie, so I said that frankly I was fortunate enough to have strong options at this point but that I would strongly consider UMD with the right financial aid options. I was a bit scattered (I was at work and hadn't been ready for the "will you come if we offer" question, so I was a bit bumbly and felt like I blew it after I hung up. They emailed a few minutes later with my acceptance.

That's basically a long winded suggestion for those still waiting that you should be ready to articulate your interest if you get a call from the office. Best of luck!

I, too, had the chance to vocalize my desire to attend UMD. I took your advice and it worked out. I was accepted earlier today off the waitlist. Needless to say, I will attend UMD this fall. Thanks for posting your experience!

phimu03

Postby phimu03 » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:19 am

I got an email yesterday (Friday) by the Director of Admissions stating that she would like to discuss my application with me. I'm guessing that's the same email everyone has been getting if you are on the wait list? I see that there has been phone calls, emails, so I'm not sure what to think of it.

phimu03

Postby phimu03 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:09 am

phimu03 wrote:I got an email yesterday (Friday) by the Director of Admissions stating that she would like to discuss my application with me. I'm guessing that's the same email everyone has been getting if you are on the wait list? I see that there has been phone calls, emails, so I'm not sure what to think of it.

Apparently in the conversation I was told I was a prime candidate, but they are waiting to see if more spaces open up. Not what I wanted to hear, so please out of the kindness of your heart if you were accepted and do not wish to attend please withdraw so those wishful dreamers like myself can have a chance to attend :D It would be greatly appreciated!

heartofonyx

Postby heartofonyx » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:02 am

Hey guys. I'm planning on withdrawing my seat this week. I'm headed off to med school next year instead.

Good luck to all of you.

Gobruwins

Postby Gobruwins » Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:38 pm

Re: Housing

Any suggestions as to which neighborhoods to look in? I'm coming from out of state (west coast) so any advice would be appreciated!

heartofonyx

Postby heartofonyx » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:45 am

You want to look at areas such as Charles Village, Madison avenue (excellent street to be on), the area near the church by Lexington St. is great too.

Downtown Baltimore overall is really bad area to be in. You want to stick with the decent neighborhoods. There is a lot of shooting that happened in recent years. You may also want to check out the crime report: http://www.baltimorepolice.org/your-community/crime-map

heartofonyx

Postby heartofonyx » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:44 pm

Officially withdrew today. 8k back into the pot!

Good Luck guys.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”