University of Maryland c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WisemanAEKDB

Re: University of Maryland c/o 2016

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:23 pm

Greyhound42 wrote:
slawww wrote:How much $$$ have people gotten? UMD seems like they're being pretty stingy with schollys.

I was hoping for a little more, I'd love to go to Maryland but obviously it'd have to be the right price. I told them two other scholarships I'd received from higher ranking (20-30) schools and they offered a little less than half of that, $10,000. Is that similar to others' experiences?

Yes.

slawww

Postby slawww » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:30 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:
Greyhound42 wrote:
slawww wrote:How much $$$ have people gotten? UMD seems like they're being pretty stingy with schollys.

I was hoping for a little more, I'd love to go to Maryland but obviously it'd have to be the right price. I told them two other scholarships I'd received from higher ranking (20-30) schools and they offered a little less than half of that, $10,000. Is that similar to others' experiences?

Yes.

Wow, that's pretty weak. Are you guys in-state, though? 10k at in-state tuition isn't too bad.

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:31 pm

slawww wrote:
WisemanAEKDB wrote:
Greyhound42 wrote:

Yes.

Wow, that's pretty weak. Are you guys in-state, though? 10k at in-state tuition isn't too bad.

No.

slawww

Postby slawww » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:33 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:
No.

Damn, well yeah, that's weak.

Greyhound42

Postby Greyhound42 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:11 am

WisemanAEKDB wrote:
slawww wrote:

No.

Same, not in-state either. It's one of my most expensive options, actually.

jmorrisumn

Postby jmorrisumn » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:54 pm

in via email today.

CAteacherguy

Postby CAteacherguy » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:13 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:
Greyhound42 wrote:

Yes.

I had my scholarship interview several weeks ago and haven't been given a definitive number yet (though I did get an e-mail about a week ago telling me that the scholarship committee is still meeting and that my file is still open with them). I did wonder -- based on how weird and awkward they were when I told them that I had received a full ride from a more competitive school -- whether they would offer me anything at all. Only time will tell, I suppose, but they would be correct in assuming that without a full ride (or really close to it), it's off the table for me...with a full ride, however, it would re-enter my short list.

-CAtg

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:50 pm

For those already with a decision, how long did it take you guys to receive a response once your file went in review? Waiting is definitely the worst part.

bam849

Postby bam849 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:47 pm

So for anyone who is on the waitlist, what are you doing to aid your application? I don't have any additional LORs I can send, but I've submitted a LCI as well as a letter talking about an event I attended and really enjoyed. I've also scheduled a day to tour the school. Is there anything else I can do? I don't want to do too much it case I annoy the admissions officers, but I really want to make my application as good as I can.

nedzilla

Postby nedzilla » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:42 pm

I recently sent in a late application to UMD (3/08) and have received confirmation emails from LSAC that everything has been sent. I have yet to receive any notice from UMD about receiving or processing my application however. On my LSAC account, everything seems to be complete and they have requested and received my CAS files. Should I email them to inquire about it? Or just wait it out.

Snowboarder1588

Postby Snowboarder1588 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:49 pm

nedzilla wrote:I recently sent in a late application to UMD (3/08) and have received confirmation emails from LSAC that everything has been sent. I have yet to receive any notice from UMD about receiving or processing my application however. On my LSAC account, everything seems to be complete and they have requested and received my CAS files. Should I email them to inquire about it? Or just wait it out.

Check your spam box in your email. My app status checker info was in there. Also, it took about 2 weeks for my file to go in review, so I would say wait out a couple more days before doing anything.

slawww

Postby slawww » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:53 pm

bam849 wrote:So for anyone who is on the waitlist, what are you doing to aid your application? I don't have any additional LORs I can send, but I've submitted a LCI as well as a letter talking about an event I attended and really enjoyed. I've also scheduled a day to tour the school. Is there anything else I can do? I don't want to do too much it case I annoy the admissions officers, but I really want to make my application as good as I can.

I'm going to be withdrawing very soon. Hope this gives you some hope.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:54 pm

CAteacherguy wrote:
I had my scholarship interview several weeks ago and haven't been given a definitive number yet (though I did get an e-mail about a week ago telling me that the scholarship committee is still meeting and that my file is still open with them). I did wonder -- based on how weird and awkward they were when I told them that I had received a full ride from a more competitive school -- whether they would offer me anything at all. Only time will tell, I suppose, but they would be correct in assuming that without a full ride (or really close to it), it's off the table for me...with a full ride, however, it would re-enter my short list.

-CAtg

My numbers aren't as great as yours, but I'm definitely concerned about this as well. Especially when Miami keep throwing more money at me, I'd take lower-ranked + free over UMD.

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:57 pm

Finally, Katrin and I were able to speak on the phone regarding scholarship. 4K grant, 6K scholarship, 2.0 stip, paid faculty research position for 2L & 3L with the potential to earn 4K/yr. Not bad, but it took 6 weeks after my interview to hear back, and Maryland is looking less and less likely with the other offers I've received.

slawww

Postby slawww » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:10 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:Finally, Katrin and I were able to speak on the phone regarding scholarship. 4K grant, 6K scholarship, 2.0 stip, paid faculty research position for 2L & 3L with the potential to earn 4K/yr. Not bad, but it took 6 weeks after my interview to hear back, and Maryland is looking less and less likely with the other offers I've received.

'Grats on finally getting a response, but with your #'s, that is a really weak scholly. Especially when you factor in how expensive rent is in downtown Baltimore.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:19 pm

slawww wrote:
WisemanAEKDB wrote:Finally, Katrin and I were able to speak on the phone regarding scholarship. 4K grant, 6K scholarship, 2.0 stip, paid faculty research position for 2L & 3L with the potential to earn 4K/yr. Not bad, but it took 6 weeks after my interview to hear back, and Maryland is looking less and less likely with the other offers I've received.

'Grats on finally getting a response, but with your #'s, that is a really weak scholly. Especially when you factor in how expensive rent is in downtown Baltimore.

Congrats as well.

Not to mention how expensive even student housing is. Sigh.

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:02 pm

That's about what I'm expecting. I was told they don't get any funding from the state, so they're strapped.

slawww

Postby slawww » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:33 pm

Withdrew today. Hope a TLSer gets my spot!

icecreamdance

Postby icecreamdance » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:43 am

Has anyone interviewed for a scholarship? Any idea how I should prepare?

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:05 pm

icecreamdance wrote:Has anyone interviewed for a scholarship? Any idea how I should prepare?

I was interviewed a few weeks back. From my experience, you should have a solid grasp of why you want to attend Maryland. You should also be familiar with at least one of their concentrations, e.g. environmental or health law, and perhaps some of the recent accomplishments of students/faculty in those concentrations. Also, be ready to expand on some of the items you touched on in your PS, as they will most certainly go back to that.

Good luck!

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Heard back on a scholarship offer today following my interview three weeks ago. Offered $12K/yr. with a good standing stip. Also offered a faculty research position for 2L and 3L valued at $4K/yr. Quite a bit more than I expected.

icecreamdance

Postby icecreamdance » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:50 pm

gitguy wrote:Heard back on a scholarship offer today following my interview three weeks ago. Offered $12K/yr. with a good standing stip. Also offered a faculty research position for 2L and 3L valued at $4K/yr. Quite a bit more than I expected.

That's awesome congrats! What kind of faculty research position?

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:28 pm

icecreamdance wrote:
gitguy wrote:Heard back on a scholarship offer today following my interview three weeks ago. Offered $12K/yr. with a good standing stip. Also offered a faculty research position for 2L and 3L valued at $4K/yr. Quite a bit more than I expected.

That's awesome congrats! What kind of faculty research position?

Thanks, it was a good offer compared to many I've seen. I have to say that my interview went very well. It didn't specify the type of research position, I think it depends on your interests and who you get paired up with. But definitely an exciting prospect.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Congrats!

deuceindc

Postby deuceindc » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:05 pm

Heard back today also, 10k Leaders Scholarship + research. Too late for me to attend ASD tomorrow but I think it's a fair offer.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”