Villanova 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Mhens
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby Mhens » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:33 pm

bdans89 wrote:I emailed financial aid to ask about need-based grants and scholarships. They said they don't begin reviewing for these until about June. Anyone submit both the FAFSA and Need Access application and get anything besides merit-based scholarships or loans?


I'm in the same boat. I filled out both the FAFSA and Need Access and haven't heard anything back regarding need based scholarships or grants. I reviewed a merit based scholarship with my acceptance and was eligible for goverment loans for the rest.

June seems really late to begin reviewing for that. Maybe they are waiting until the second seat deposit to get a better picture of the entering class before they begin giving out more money?

bdans89
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby bdans89 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:42 pm

Mhens wrote:
bdans89 wrote:I emailed financial aid to ask about need-based grants and scholarships. They said they don't begin reviewing for these until about June. Anyone submit both the FAFSA and Need Access application and get anything besides merit-based scholarships or loans?


I'm in the same boat. I filled out both the FAFSA and Need Access and haven't heard anything back regarding need based scholarships or grants. I reviewed a merit based scholarship with my acceptance and was eligible for goverment loans for the rest.

June seems really late to begin reviewing for that. Maybe they are waiting until the second seat deposit to get a better picture of the entering class before they begin giving out more money?


Right. It's weird because nearly every other school I applied to that gives out need-based grants/scholarships offered it in my financial aid package before my deposit deadline. It seems like something you might want to know before committing. I got a merit scholarship too, but I'd like to know how generous they are with need-based money because usually filling out the Need Access means they give grants and they do list A LOT of need-based scholarships on their website. It also says some were already awarded which confused me. Maybe to continuing students?

Mhens
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby Mhens » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:49 pm

bdans89 wrote:
Mhens wrote:
bdans89 wrote:I emailed financial aid to ask about need-based grants and scholarships. They said they don't begin reviewing for these until about June. Anyone submit both the FAFSA and Need Access application and get anything besides merit-based scholarships or loans?


I'm in the same boat. I filled out both the FAFSA and Need Access and haven't heard anything back regarding need based scholarships or grants. I reviewed a merit based scholarship with my acceptance and was eligible for goverment loans for the rest.

June seems really late to begin reviewing for that. Maybe they are waiting until the second seat deposit to get a better picture of the entering class before they begin giving out more money?


Right. It's weird because nearly every other school I applied to that gives out need-based grants/scholarships offered it in my financial aid package before my deposit deadline. It seems like something you might want to know before committing. I got a merit scholarship too, but I'd like to know how generous they are with need-based money because usually filling out the Need Access means they give grants and they do list A LOT of need-based scholarships on their website. It also says some were already awarded which confused me. Maybe to continuing students?


Yeah I'm attending villanova regardless because even with the merit scholarship it comes in a lot cheaper than other schools I'm considering. I'm a reverse splitter and also wait listed at 5 schools and if I'd rode out the wait list at any of the other schools I most likely wouldn't be offered any money. Financially even without need based aid Villanova makes the most sense for me.

I also think you are right about the some of those need based scholarships being awarded to returning students. I think it is nice that that dont require any additional essays or forms besides FAFSA and Need Access. Hopefully we will hear some good news in June!

bdans89
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby bdans89 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:58 am

Is anyone going on the roommate list? Do you just email admissions to be added to it?

iggles20
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:49 am

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby iggles20 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:59 am

Hey everyone. Congrats on acceptance. I am a 3L wrapping up and my landlord asked me to find some interest in a 2 bedroom apartment available early august. He's dealt with law students for two years now and he likes renting to our lot so I figured this would be the best way to reach you. It's a two bedroom in Ardmore, walking distance to the R5, brownies, other bars, suburban square shops etc. $1,400+utilities. The good thing about it is you'll have your own space - the unit is two floors - bathroom, kitchen, common room and bedroom on first floor, study room and 2nd bedroom on the second floor.

I am working in center city next year, living on the first floor unit of this property. So I can help ya out if you want as well.

Anyway, drop me a line if any of you are interested. Good luck.

cnk
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:44 pm

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby cnk » Thu May 16, 2013 2:40 pm

has anyone on the waitlist heard back?

snakebones
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:20 am

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby snakebones » Fri May 17, 2013 6:29 am

cnk wrote:has anyone on the waitlist heard back?


Nothing, no clue what they're doing...

nick417
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby nick417 » Fri May 17, 2013 9:50 am

snakebones wrote:
cnk wrote:has anyone on the waitlist heard back?


Nothing, no clue what they're doing...


I talked to an Admissions counselor last week. Villanova is accepting students off of their wait list (which is more information than I got from another Philly law school). Essentially, they are going through every application again (who is still on the Waitlist) in order of when you applied. They are reviewing the Application and making another decision on what to do with the applicant. I was not provided a time table on when this will occur BUT I was told that they are still waiting on students to put down their first deposits.

cnk
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:44 pm

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby cnk » Fri May 17, 2013 10:29 am

nick417 wrote:
snakebones wrote:
cnk wrote:has anyone on the waitlist heard back?


Nothing, no clue what they're doing...


I talked to an Admissions counselor last week. Villanova is accepting students off of their wait list (which is more information than I got from another Philly law school). Essentially, they are going through every application again (who is still on the Waitlist) in order of when you applied. They are reviewing the Application and making another decision on what to do with the applicant. I was not provided a time table on when this will occur BUT I was told that they are still waiting on students to put down their first deposits.


oh interesting, thanks for the info! How are they still waiting on people to make first deposits? I thought those were due in April...

nick417
Posts: 168
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:09 am

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby nick417 » Fri May 17, 2013 12:47 pm

cnk wrote:
nick417 wrote:
snakebones wrote:
cnk wrote:has anyone on the waitlist heard back?


Nothing, no clue what they're doing...


I talked to an Admissions counselor last week. Villanova is accepting students off of their wait list (which is more information than I got from another Philly law school). Essentially, they are going through every application again (who is still on the Waitlist) in order of when you applied. They are reviewing the Application and making another decision on what to do with the applicant. I was not provided a time table on when this will occur BUT I was told that they are still waiting on students to put down their first deposits.


oh interesting, thanks for the info! How are they still waiting on people to make first deposits? I thought those were due in April...


The deadline to apply was April 1st (I believe). I was told that some applicant's therefore were accepted late in the cycle and were given extra time to make an admissions decision.

My Opinion: I think Villanova waitlisted a lot of students on purpose because of the reporting scandal and being on probation. I don't think they know and/or knew how the scandal would hurt their incoming class. Personally, my stats (LSAT/GPA) are above Villanova's reported medians and I was accepted at better law schools (with scholarships) than Villanova. SO I get the feeling that the waitlist is quite large.

cnk
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:44 pm

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby cnk » Sat May 25, 2013 4:47 pm

anyone else receive the may waitlist update email this past week?

snakebones
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:20 am

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby snakebones » Sat May 25, 2013 8:10 pm

yup, i got it.

cnk
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:44 pm

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby cnk » Sat May 25, 2013 8:18 pm

not to be totally pushy but if anyone is on the WL or has been accepted and knows they aren't going to attend/have committed elsewhere, please withdraw! it's a courtesy that will open up spots for other people :)

snakebones
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:20 am

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby snakebones » Sat May 25, 2013 8:57 pm

cnk wrote:not to be totally pushy but if anyone is on the WL or has been accepted and knows they aren't going to attend/have committed elsewhere, please withdraw! it's a courtesy that will open up spots for other people :)


^^^ I second that!!!

bdaddy345
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:05 pm

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby bdaddy345 » Sun May 26, 2013 9:56 am

The amount of people getting called off the waitlist will be a smaller amount than in the past. Two professors confirmed that they're shrinking the class size from 220 down to 175 for next year. They're also trying to get professors to retire. They're really trying to address the employment statistics and preserve whatever reputation is left.

snakebones
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:20 am

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby snakebones » Sun May 26, 2013 10:38 am

bdaddy345 wrote:The amount of people getting called off the waitlist will be a smaller amount than in the past. Two professors confirmed that they're shrinking the class size from 220 down to 175 for next year. They're also trying to get professors to retire. They're really trying to address the employment statistics and preserve whatever reputation is left.


That sucks...I still have hope though!

cnk
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:44 pm

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby cnk » Sun May 26, 2013 3:15 pm

wow that is a huge shrink, most incoming classes are somewhere in the 200s...

bdans89
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby bdans89 » Sun May 26, 2013 3:51 pm

Has anyone had luck negotiating their scholarship after the deposit deadline? I technically have other offers I could use, but since the seat deposit at these places have now passed, I don't know if they're useful. I've tried to gauge financial aid since they told me they'll make need-based decisions in June probably, but no luck so far...

User avatar
banana$$stand
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby banana$$stand » Sun May 26, 2013 5:03 pm

bdans89 wrote:Has anyone had luck negotiating their scholarship after the deposit deadline? I technically have other offers I could use, but since the seat deposit at these places have now passed, I don't know if they're useful. I've tried to gauge financial aid since they told me they'll make need-based decisions in June probably, but no luck so far...



I negotiated successfully right before the first deposit. I would like to negotiate once more before the second deposit (yes, I've double deposited). Have you contacted financial aid yet?

bdans89
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:16 pm

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby bdans89 » Tue May 28, 2013 12:22 pm

banana$$stand wrote:
bdans89 wrote:Has anyone had luck negotiating their scholarship after the deposit deadline? I technically have other offers I could use, but since the seat deposit at these places have now passed, I don't know if they're useful. I've tried to gauge financial aid since they told me they'll make need-based decisions in June probably, but no luck so far...



I negotiated successfully right before the first deposit. I would like to negotiate once more before the second deposit (yes, I've double deposited). Have you contacted financial aid yet?



I contacted financial aid a while ago and was told that they are not making need-based scholarship decisions until later, and probably not until June. If I was interested in merit-based scholarships to contact Admissions. Then I got a scholarship from Admissions. I contacted Financial Aid again last week asking for more information about need-based aid and haven't heard back yet. I am thinking of contacting Admissions now to try to negotiate my merit scholarship? I don't know if it'll be successful but I guess there's not harm in trying?

snakebones
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:20 am

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby snakebones » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:16 pm

Any WL movement/updates?

cnk
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:44 pm

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby cnk » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:44 pm

snakebones wrote:Any WL movement/updates?


None since last month

snakebones
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:20 am

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby snakebones » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Hopefully something will happen next week. Admissions told me the 2nd seat deposit is the 14th.

snakebones
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:20 am

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby snakebones » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:03 pm

I guess not.

cnk
Posts: 238
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:44 pm

Re: Villanova 2016

Postby cnk » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:50 pm

haven't heard anything either...




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AZnative, brinicolec, carlos_danger and 21 guests