University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
BlueJeanBaby
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:40 pm

If you are trying to go to ASD, book your rooms NOW. They are pretty much completely filled up (my little two star hotel I stay in there only has 1 smoking room left and its over $110/night!) There is a HUGE Jehovah's witness convention going on. The guy at my hotel told me to "not come that weekend" since it was going to be impossible to get around. GREAT! The law school recommended looking in neighboring towns around 20-30 minutes away. FYI!

splitter165
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby splitter165 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:54 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:If you are trying to go to ASD, book your rooms NOW. They are pretty much completely filled up (my little two star hotel I stay in there only has 1 smoking room left and its over $110/night!) There is a HUGE Jehovah's witness convention going on. The guy at my hotel told me to "not come that weekend" since it was going to be impossible to get around. GREAT! The law school recommended looking in neighboring towns around 20-30 minutes away. FYI!


It's also the weekend of the Masters so for me, flights were at least $200 more than any other weekend so I couldn't make it work. I'm coming in the next weekend instead and had trouble finding a room due to a concert at the stadium. Try airbnb.com. There's a nice 1 bdrm close to campus that I'm renting for $50/ night.

User avatar
BlueJeanBaby
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:07 pm

splitter165 wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:If you are trying to go to ASD, book your rooms NOW. They are pretty much completely filled up (my little two star hotel I stay in there only has 1 smoking room left and its over $110/night!) There is a HUGE Jehovah's witness convention going on. The guy at my hotel told me to "not come that weekend" since it was going to be impossible to get around. GREAT! The law school recommended looking in neighboring towns around 20-30 minutes away. FYI!


It's also the weekend of the Masters so for me, flights were at least $200 more than any other weekend so I couldn't make it work. I'm coming in the next weekend instead and had trouble finding a room due to a concert at the stadium. Try airbnb.com. There's a nice 1 bdrm close to campus that I'm renting for $50/ night.


YOU are fantastic. I just tried to book the same type of place but it says it takes 24 hours for the request to process. No bueno!

splitter165
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby splitter165 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:25 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
splitter165 wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:If you are trying to go to ASD, book your rooms NOW. They are pretty much completely filled up (my little two star hotel I stay in there only has 1 smoking room left and its over $110/night!) There is a HUGE Jehovah's witness convention going on. The guy at my hotel told me to "not come that weekend" since it was going to be impossible to get around. GREAT! The law school recommended looking in neighboring towns around 20-30 minutes away. FYI!


It's also the weekend of the Masters so for me, flights were at least $200 more than any other weekend so I couldn't make it work. I'm coming in the next weekend instead and had trouble finding a room due to a concert at the stadium. Try airbnb.com. There's a nice 1 bdrm close to campus that I'm renting for $50/ night.


YOU are fantastic. I just tried to book the same type of place but it says it takes 24 hours for the request to process. No bueno!



Airbnb is fantastic. It has saved me on sooo many trips. :) If you did the one that's hosted by Robin, she'll get back to you before 24 hrs. Keep an eye on your inbox!

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby eandy » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:40 pm

If ASD hotel situation gets really crazy, someone may be able to stay with us as a last resort. Can only stay Friday because Saturday is law prom. We can't be good hosts Friday night because of the MPRE exam and we have cats. If all that is OK and your situation is truly desperate, PM me and we can see if we can work something out.

User avatar
2012Lsatscore
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:57 pm

.
Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
fragrock
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:37 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby fragrock » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:18 pm

I can tell you the traffic is extremely light on Saturdays based on my experience driving to and from Atlanta for the Public Interest Conference this past weekend. I plan to drive up the day of, and if you're within a 2-4 hour drive and don't care about staying the night I can vouch for the all-in-one-day option.

User avatar
BlueJeanBaby
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:36 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:Has everyone RSVPed? I thought they were going to mail us an invitation.

If the hotel situation is truly that bad, I might just get a room down the interstate. Is Friday night and Saturday night bad? I'm only a couple of hours away, but I just don't want to have to do the whole thing in one day.


Maybe I haven't RSVPed.. lol. I just clicked "Done" on the prospective students page and ignorantly assumed that did the trick. How do we RSVP?

User avatar
2012Lsatscore
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:58 pm

.
Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BlueJeanBaby
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:06 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:
2012Lsatscore wrote:Has everyone RSVPed? I thought they were going to mail us an invitation.

If the hotel situation is truly that bad, I might just get a room down the interstate. Is Friday night and Saturday night bad? I'm only a couple of hours away, but I just don't want to have to do the whole thing in one day.


Maybe I haven't RSVPed.. lol. I just clicked "Done" on the prospective students page and ignorantly assumed that did the trick. How do we RSVP?


"A formal invitation will be mailed to admitted students in early March."

I guess I just assumed that, along with the RSVP, they would either recommend accommodations or even provide it at a discounted rate. I guess we'll see. I think I'm going to sit tight until the invitations go out.


I called about recommended hotels, etc. and told them about the over-booking in the area and they said they did not make any accommodations for us :\. I'm starting to think this trip might not be worth it and go a different weekend instead.

User avatar
2012Lsatscore
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:19 pm

.
Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

classiccitygirl
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:47 am

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby classiccitygirl » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Hey y'all, some friends and I are looking to live in an apartment complex in athens called the u- its a 4 bed 2 bath apartment- but we need one more person. The apartment will be coed- so far we have 1 guy and 2 girls. The rent is $405 a month and it includes all utilities including HBO. Either a guy or girl roommate would be great! There is transportation to campus daily so no need to buy a parking pass and its really close to campus and grocery stores so you can save gas money! PM me if you are looking for a place to live!

User avatar
GATA1989
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby GATA1989 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:08 pm

ASD is the same day as the G Day game (spring football game) so that may help explain the lack of hotel rooms too.

jym_dawg
Posts: 294
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:09 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby jym_dawg » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:25 pm

Yup, and if y'all are planning to drive Saturday morning from Atl to Athens (usually about an hour and a half) beware of extra traffic on 316 headed to the game. I think it's a 1pm kickoff so some people will probably be on the road in the morning.

User avatar
BlueJeanBaby
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:37 pm

1Ls who went to ASD last year-- would attending ASD be much better than visiting a different weekend and taking a private tour? I would love to meet my future classmates (since I am attending UGA for sure) but the April 6th weekend seems to be more of a hassle than it is worth since, like I said, it won't be swaying my decision to attend.

User avatar
2012Lsatscore
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:43 pm

.
Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BlueJeanBaby
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:42 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:RSVPed today. There is a link on the event webpage and a link in the e-mail they just sent out.


Let me know how it goes! I decided to go a different weekend so I don't feel overwhelmed by crowds everywhere, can save money, and can tour the school on my own (I'm lying. I really just want to make sure there isn't a line at Momma's Boy for breakfast). I'd love to hear details, though :).

User avatar
2012Lsatscore
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:46 pm

.
Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

jstacks
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby jstacks » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:11 pm

RSVP'd to ASD! See you all there!

User avatar
2012Lsatscore
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:36 pm

.
Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
BlueJeanBaby
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:39 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:I just booked my hotel: Hampton Inn Athens

I just plugged my route into MapQuest and browsed through the options in Athens (Comfort Inn, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, etc.)From what I saw, there are plenty of accommodations in Athens. I guess, if you are looking for something below $90 it might be different, but I found a lot of good options $90-$115. My main reason for picking Hampton was because it had all the bells and whistles. I wanted my experience to equal the experience provided by my other top school. I don't want a flea bag hotel experience to color my opinion...but that's just me...


The place we stay isn't a Hilton by any means but it isn't bad (always very clean, fantastic staff). We usually spend $39/night. I'm really, REALLY cheap though (I'm literally pinching every penny I can to put towards tuition). The place I usually stay for that price is going for over $100/night in Athens the weekend of the 6th :(. Glad you found a place you'll be comfortable in, though!

And your other top school is paying for your hotel? Jealousssss!

User avatar
2012Lsatscore
Posts: 611
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:54 pm

.
Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kjb
Posts: 37
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:09 am

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby kjb » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:44 pm

Under review since 2/6

still waiting

User avatar
RemyMarathe
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby RemyMarathe » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:57 pm

RSVP'd to the ASW. See everyone there!

User avatar
meowllory
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby meowllory » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:06 pm

kjb wrote:Under review since 2/6

still waiting


Under review since 12/13... Even waiting for the wait list is painful




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga and 16 guests