University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
splitter165
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:13 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby splitter165 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:28 pm

crossingfingers wrote:My heart broke a little bit when I received the mail today. I received the "making an impact" mailer today but still no scholarship information. I'm holding out hope that it's just taking a really long time getting to Ca. from Georgia or that they're sending in waves. In-state and even a small amount of money would make such a massive difference. Has anyone out here on the west coast heard yet?


I'm in SF and the letter reached me on Friday. Not to say that they aren't doing them in waves though. Best of luck

User avatar
butyourhonor
Posts: 39
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:21 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby butyourhonor » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:01 pm

Admitted via status checker today. I'm in Southern CA; haven't received any mailings yet.

User avatar
LittleBlueBird
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby LittleBlueBird » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:11 pm

Still haven't heard anything on $. In FL. When they pulled me off the waitlist last year, I made it clear that I was only declining because they were offering me no money. They admitted me in the first round this year, so I've been hopeful. I'll be pretty miffed if I get shafted again. If I just get a residential equalizer, I'll be happy. Otherwise, I don't know if it's worth missing work for me to attend the ASD. I already booked the hotel room and everything. Blah.

User avatar
BlueJeanBaby
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:43 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:Still haven't heard anything on $. In FL. When they pulled me off the waitlist last year, I made it clear that I was only declining because they were offering me no money. They admitted me in the first round this year, so I've been hopeful. I'll be pretty miffed if I get shafted again. If I just get a residential equalizer, I'll be happy. Otherwise, I don't know if it's worth missing work for me to attend the ASD. I already booked the hotel room and everything. Blah.


Maybe give it a few more days then start the negotiations? I glanced at your profile and saw you are in at Emory. That makes a good bargaining chip. I also don't think it would be rude to call and see if you got offered something and for some reason it hasn't hit your mailbox. You did get a letter saying that scholarship decisions would be made first two weeks of Feb, right? Politely asking if you should be expecting anything doesn't seem absurd to me. If for some reason you didn't get anything you can say "Oh, okay, thank you for that information. To whom should I send a letter/email in regards to being further considered for scholarship aid.." (you get the idea). Fingers crossed for you!

User avatar
LittleBlueBird
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:52 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby LittleBlueBird » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:07 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
LittleBlueBird wrote:Still haven't heard anything on $. In FL. When they pulled me off the waitlist last year, I made it clear that I was only declining because they were offering me no money. They admitted me in the first round this year, so I've been hopeful. I'll be pretty miffed if I get shafted again. If I just get a residential equalizer, I'll be happy. Otherwise, I don't know if it's worth missing work for me to attend the ASD. I already booked the hotel room and everything. Blah.


Maybe give it a few more days then start the negotiations? I glanced at your profile and saw you are in at Emory. That makes a good bargaining chip. I also don't think it would be rude to call and see if you got offered something and for some reason it hasn't hit your mailbox. You did get a letter saying that scholarship decisions would be made first two weeks of Feb, right? Politely asking if you should be expecting anything doesn't seem absurd to me. If for some reason you didn't get anything you can say "Oh, okay, thank you for that information. To whom should I send a letter/email in regards to being further considered for scholarship aid.." (you get the idea). Fingers crossed for you!


That is definitely a good idea. I will probably do that this week. I have a decent excuse, as I don't reside at the residence where I recieve my mail and only pick it up perioidcally. I'll let you know if I hear anything. Thanks for the encouragement!

bigmo123
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:49 am

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby bigmo123 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:51 pm

My application has been in review since 02/08/13. I'm in UGA undergrad - honors with a 3.5 and 162 LSAT. How much longer should I expect to wait?

TEXAS91
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:37 am

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby TEXAS91 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:57 pm

Does anyone know if there will be another wave of scholarships or if they really only do one round? I thought there was a chance I would at least get something but nothing ever came. Thanks!

User avatar
gatorlaw55
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:14 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby gatorlaw55 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:09 pm

I called their office earlier today since I also haven't heard on scholarship $. They told me that they're still reviewing files and it definitely didn't mean i had missed the scholarship boat.. said it could be anywhere between now and early summer :/

on a side note for anyone attending the conference this weekend, is there a specific dress code for it?

TEXAS91
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:37 am

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby TEXAS91 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:12 pm

Thanks for sharing!

JCGibson10
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:44 am

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby JCGibson10 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:05 am

bigmo123 wrote:My application has been in review since 02/08/13. I'm in UGA undergrad - honors with a 3.5 and 162 LSAT. How much longer should I expect to wait?


For what it's worth, I am a 3.5/163 and was under review for about a month before getting accepted.

User avatar
RemyMarathe
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby RemyMarathe » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:57 pm

What's the typical timeline on scholarships post acceptance?

Boston4
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:07 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby Boston4 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:12 pm

Been in review for months. Below median scores (152, 3.16). Did not research enough before deciding not to retake LSAT (definitely going to in June).

Should they not have rejected me by now? I was Wait listed out of state.

User avatar
BlueJeanBaby
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:27 pm

Boston4 wrote:Been in review for months. Below median scores (152, 3.16). Did not research enough before deciding not to retake LSAT (definitely going to in June).

Should they not have rejected me by now? I was Wait listed out of state.


URM?

Boston4
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:07 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby Boston4 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:50 pm

Yes. UGA undergrad and urm.

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
Boston4 wrote:Been in review for months. Below median scores (152, 3.16). Did not research enough before deciding not to retake LSAT (definitely going to in June).

Should they not have rejected me by now? I was Wait listed out of state.


URM?

User avatar
BlueJeanBaby
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:53 pm

Boston4 wrote:Yes. UGA undergrad and urm.

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
Boston4 wrote:Been in review for months. Below median scores (152, 3.16). Did not research enough before deciding not to retake LSAT (definitely going to in June).

Should they not have rejected me by now? I was Wait listed out of state.


URM?


Judging by the sea of red surrounding your numbers, you would have been rejected if you were not a URM. Fortunately, you are :) I have zero experience with URM cycles so I'm hoping someone here can chime in and help you out! Good luck.

Also, how are you out of state if you are a UGA undergraduate?

Boston4
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:07 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby Boston4 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:56 pm

Figured That's what's keeping me under review. Have they waitlisted yet?

Not out of state for UGA. I meant, I was waitlisted at a school out of state. Sorry!

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
Boston4 wrote:Yes. UGA undergrad and urm.

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
Boston4 wrote:Been in review for months. Below median scores (152, 3.16). Did not research enough before deciding not to retake LSAT (definitely going to in June).

Should they not have rejected me by now? I was Wait listed out of state.


URM?


Judging by the sea of red surrounding your numbers, you would have been rejected if you were not a URM. Fortunately, you are :) I have zero experience with URM cycles so I'm hoping someone here can chime in and help you out! Good luck.

Also, how are you out of state if you are a UGA undergraduate?

User avatar
BlueJeanBaby
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:20 pm

Boston4 wrote:Figured That's what's keeping me under review. Have they waitlisted yet?

Not out of state for UGA. I meant, I was waitlisted at a school out of state. Sorry!


It doesn't seem that they have. You can keep tabs here: http://georgia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

erin0715@me.com
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:25 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby erin0715@me.com » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:45 pm

I wonder when they will start releasing more decisions. It seems to have been pretty slow since they released scholarship notifications a few weeks ago.
I heard that they accepted people around my stats in late February and March last year, so my fingers are still crossed.

User avatar
RemyMarathe
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:08 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby RemyMarathe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:40 pm

$30K scholly letter today!

There's a 2.7 stip. So excited. Most likely attending.

WaltWhite
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:17 am

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby WaltWhite » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:27 pm

Boston4 wrote:Been in review for months. Below median scores (152, 3.16). Did not research enough before deciding not to retake LSAT (definitely going to in June).

Should they not have rejected me by now? I was Wait listed out of state.



They only had my application for about 1.5 months before they rejected me. I was non-URM, out of state, 158, 3.68. Non-UGA undergrad of course.

User avatar
bandenjamin
Posts: 172
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:25 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby bandenjamin » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:12 pm

bigmo123 wrote:My application has been in review since 02/08/13. I'm in UGA undergrad - honors with a 3.5 and 162 LSAT. How much longer should I expect to wait?


Mine has been in review since November, 3.59 & 162.

jstacks
Posts: 33
Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby jstacks » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:53 pm

I called Admissions last week to ask about scholarships, and I was told I wasn't receiving any. :( I sent an email to the associate dean later to tell him how much I wanted to attend Georgia, informed him about my W&M scholarship, etc. Today, I got a letter for 3k a year! 2.7 stip. So happy! Athens bound for the fall :D

User avatar
BlueJeanBaby
Posts: 630
Joined: Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:46 pm

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:03 pm

jstacks wrote:I called Admissions last week to ask about scholarships, and I was told I wasn't receiving any. :( I sent an email to the associate dean later to tell him how much I wanted to attend Georgia, informed him about my W&M scholarship, etc. Today, I got a letter for 3k a year! 2.7 stip. So happy! Athens bound for the fall :D


Welcome to the class of 2016! That's awesome that your negotiation worked. Congrats.

Tommycopeland
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:01 am

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby Tommycopeland » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:50 pm

I'm totally bummed! Looking over this forum last night, it seemed like everyone was accepted...I was denied admission to UGA today. I've applied to four other schools, UGA being the one sort of "in the middle" in terms of competitiveness.

For the sake of reference, I've got a 2.8 and 153, but a TON of soft creds. Non-URM but former entrepreneur (sold my company), currently working in a law firm as a legal intern, sitting on a city board. How important are stats at this school?? What happened to the "holistic" approach??

Congrats to all who were accepted, all the best in fall!!
-T

patricksouthern
Posts: 141
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:12 am

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Postby patricksouthern » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:01 pm

Tommycopeland wrote:I'm totally bummed! Looking over this forum last night, it seemed like everyone was accepted...I was denied admission to UGA today. I've applied to four other schools, UGA being the one sort of "in the middle" in terms of competitiveness.

For the sake of reference, I've got a 2.8 and 153, but a TON of soft creds. Non-URM but former entrepreneur (sold my company), currently working in a law firm as a legal intern, sitting on a city board. How important are stats at this school?? What happened to the "holistic" approach??

Congrats to all who were accepted, all the best in fall!!
-T


You probably won't want to hear this, but as a fellow 2.8 GPA-holder, I'm begging you to retake and try again next cycle. If you spend the next three months devoted to studying for June and get something in the mid-to-high 160s (I wound up with a 168) you can get money to plenty of quality schools. UGA gave me a strong scholarship offer. Other T1 schools have given me 75%+ of a full ride. Your soft factors are fantastic and will serve you well, but stats do matter everywhere. Your GPA is already a red flag (trust me, I know) and at that point, adcomms basically only need one other reason to ding you. A lower LSAT is definitely reason enough.

Regardless, I wish you luck.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”