University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle) Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GATA1989

New

Re: University of Georgia c/o 2016 applicants (2012-13 cycle)

Post by GATA1989 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:39 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
lookingin wrote:
seancris wrote:Got my packet today. One piece of paper telling me congrats, plus a bumper sticker. No scholly info.
Man! I didn't get a bumper sticker... haha

And I agree about someone calling to ask about scholarships. I'm interested in that info as well.
whoa, man, they shorted you your bumper sticker? blasphemy!
I was shorted a bumper sticker as well, and my letter urged me to pick UGA even though I applied ED haha

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:02 pm

GATA1989 wrote:
I was shorted a bumper sticker as well, and my letter urged me to pick UGA even though I applied ED haha
I got my bumper sticker! And my letter was very "You are ED, send your money ASAP... and congrats!!" haha.

gregfootball2001

Silver

Post by gregfootball2001 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:12 pm

Hey guys,

Congrats on all those accepted, and best of luck those who are waiting. I'm a 1L at UGA, so feel free to ask anything. I promise no answers, but you can certainly ask.

KingsCup

Bronze

Post by KingsCup » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:07 pm

gregfootball2001 wrote:Hey guys,

Congrats on all those accepted, and best of luck those who are waiting. I'm a 1L at UGA, so feel free to ask anything. I promise no answers, but you can certainly ask.
What's your favorite part?

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:11 pm

What is the consensus on vespas?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:11 pm

I'm a 3L and more than happy to answer some questions as well once I'm done with exams on Wednesday or Thursday.

jym_dawg

Bronze

Post by jym_dawg » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:31 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:

What is the consensus on vespas?
Don't bother unless you really want one. There's plenty of convenient car parking on campus - the North Campus deck is basically across the street from the Law School.

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:48 pm

Hopefully some good news this week. :|

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:09 pm

What are a few good communities for law students to live in? So far I have been recommended the Lofts on 945 and the Cotton Exchange. I was also told to get the best housing I need to start looking seriously in JANUARY. Is that true? If wishing to not derail admissions talk, any kind souls willing to answer my questions could PM me :) :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

princessofpower

New

Post by princessofpower » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:09 am

BlueJeanBaby wrote:What are a few good communities for law students to live in? So far I have been recommended the Lofts on 945 and the Cotton Exchange. I was also told to get the best housing I need to start looking seriously in JANUARY. Is that true? If wishing to not derail admissions talk, any kind souls willing to answer my questions could PM me :) :)
Wow, January?!? I would be interested to know if this is true as well. Haven't committed to UGA yet, waiting on scholarship info and decisions from other schools, but it's my #1 choice.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:27 am

BlueJeanBaby wrote:What are a few good communities for law students to live in? So far I have been recommended the Lofts on 945 and the Cotton Exchange. I was also told to get the best housing I need to start looking seriously in JANUARY. Is that true? If wishing to not derail admissions talk, any kind souls willing to answer my questions could PM me :) :)
You need to lock something up by January if you want a *house* downtown or in another prime location. For apartments, you have until a lot later. Also, for people who don't make a decision until March or so DO NOT WORRY. You have plenty of time, and the school will put together a list of people looking for roommates/with rooms for rent for you to look at.

General advice: I cannot emphasize enough to live downtown 1L year. Look at:
909 Broad--Kind of expensive. Puts law students generally in the same area of the building to insulate you from noise. Lots of pregaming/partying here if that is your thing. HUGE closets, girls. Property management (at least when I lived there) knew everyone's name/face who lived there. Super safe.
755 broad--Expensive. Good location, less of a hill to walk up than 909. Also super safe.
The Georgian--AWESOME location. Expensive, and kind of shitty for what you get. Also loud.
University Tower--Really good deal, also awesome location. you could walk to class in like three minutes. Some are nicer than others.
Gameday--Seems to be overpriced, but good location. Again, some nicer than others.
Steeplechase--Super cheap (like $250 a month for 4BR/2BA). Really not that bad, but I would not recommend to girls because the not as nice parts about it are mainly things that would bother girls. Kind of loud. Good location, though, and i mean seriously...$250.
Stadium Village--If you want to live downtownish by yourself, this is going to be the best deal hands down. You could walk to school from there, but I don't think it's something you'd necessarily want to do. You definitely would not have to take a cab back home from downtown, though.
Flats at Carr Hill (will be brand new)--Right next to stadium village. I don't know anything about it because it is still being built.

I'm sure there are some other places I'm forgetting. Also try Fred's Historic Properties. Keep in mind that places above bars/restaurants downtown are going to be LOUD and will probable also have bugs. If that is going to bother you, do not do it.

A lot of people move to the Barnett Shoals Rd area for 2L/3L (the Summit, the Woodlands, Aspen Heights, etc.). I think being really close to school for 1L though is clutch when things start to get really crazy. Also good for bonding/going out to bars and game days.

The Five Points neighborhood is generally nice, and you can ride your bike to school from there. Lots of nice little houses there.

Stay away from the westside of town. It's really hard to get cabs to go there, and there is a lot of property crime. Just don't unless you're trying to live in Oconee County because you have kids (apparently better schools). You'll get a good deal, but it is really prohibitive in ways you might not expect.

Last pro tip, especially if you are going to get a house is to check the police blotter for criminal activity in the area. If you go to --LinkRemoved-- you can see a crime map toward the bottom of the page, which should give you some idea. Get renter's insurance, and keep your cars locked.

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:02 pm

<3 <3 <3 Eandy <3 <3 <3

patricksouthern

Bronze

Post by patricksouthern » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:31 pm

Got my admit letter in the mail today -- and they didn't forget my bumper sticker. Eager to hear about scholarships, but among schools I've been accepted to thus far, UGA is my No. 1 choice.

For the current students who are reading the thread/answering questions, what residential neighborhoods are relatively close to the school? I'd probably be looking to buy a house instead of renting -- I'm 26 years old and married and I don't think the wife would want to live in college apartments again.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LittleBlueBird

Bronze

Post by LittleBlueBird » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:54 pm

eandy wrote: Stay away from the westside of town.
Can you be more specific as to where that is?

I was checking into the Legacy Mill complex last year and they seemed to work for me. I know it is pretty far, but I'm a little older, I DO NOT like to party, I own a car, don't mind the commute and I love the quiet. Is it in an area that is considered good, bad or middle of the road?

Here is the address:
125 Jennings Mill Parkway, Athens, GA 30606

Thanks for our help!

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:06 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:08 pm

LittleBlueBird wrote:
eandy wrote: Stay away from the westside of town.
Can you be more specific as to where that is?

I was checking into the Legacy Mill complex last year and they seemed to work for me. I know it is pretty far, but I'm a little older, I DO NOT like to party, I own a car, don't mind the commute and I love the quiet. Is it in an area that is considered good, bad or middle of the road?

Here is the address:
125 Jennings Mill Parkway, Athens, GA 30606

Thanks for our help!
I know someone who lived there 1L. they had to leave because it was loud. I think it was just their particular neighbor, though.

bgood2texas

New

Post by bgood2texas » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:09 pm

Has anyone gotten scholarship info yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

seancris

Silver

Post by seancris » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:20 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:No snail mail packet. It should be here by now. I live in AL. How long until I should inform them that I never got it? Is there anything important in it?
UGA's packet included the least amount of useful info. One sheet of paper with tuition rates and deposit due date. That's about it. Plus bumper sticker. You can have mine if you don't get one, lol.

jym_dawg

Bronze

Post by jym_dawg » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:21 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:No snail mail packet. It should be here by now. I live in AL. How long until I should inform them that I never got it? Is there anything important in it?
The "packet" is one page (Congrats on your acceptance.. come to UGA Law! Here's how much it costs and here's when you need to pay us.) and the bumper sticker. Not very important unless you're one of those people who feels the need to coat their car from top to bottom in stickers.

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:35 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:06 pm

Patrick and Bluebird,

I'm a little older as well and married (although I am not bringing my husband with me) and I spoke with someone at rentathens.com and they are SO helpful. The girl seemed to really understand what I wanted. She even told me that the only apartment she would recommend in University Towers for a quiet grad student like myself would be the top floor. I went to their website and found a list of condos, apts, and houses that are in my price range and look appealing to me and she is sifting through them to find me a good fit. Just an idea! I'm interested in any house, apartment, or condo that is pet friendly and quiet.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

princessofpower

New

Post by princessofpower » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:25 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:Patrick and Bluebird,

I'm a little older as well and married (although I am not bringing my husband with me) and I spoke with someone at rentathens.com and they are SO helpful. The girl seemed to really understand what I wanted. She even told me that the only apartment she would recommend in University Towers for a quiet grad student like myself would be the top floor. I went to their website and found a list of condos, apts, and houses that are in my price range and look appealing to me and she is sifting through them to find me a good fit. Just an idea! I'm interested in any house, apartment, or condo that is pet friendly and quiet.
I'm in a similar position. Not married, but older (28) and not really into partying anymore. I also will be bringing my 40 lb dog with me ... did she give you a good indication of housing that was pet friendly?

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:26 pm

Assuming no notifications today?

LittleBlueBird

Bronze

Post by LittleBlueBird » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:20 pm

princessofpower wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:Patrick and Bluebird,

I'm in a similar position. Not married, but older (28) and not really into partying anymore. I also will be bringing my 40 lb dog with me ... did she give you a good indication of housing that was pet friendly?
I believe they are very pet friendly, part of the reason I looked at them. My dog is 35 lbs, so I'm in the same boat.

2012Lsatscore

Silver

Post by 2012Lsatscore » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:45 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”