Lewis and Clark 2012-2013 applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Bronze

Re: Lewis and Clark 2012-2013 applicants

Post by 1693 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:38 am

Awesome this is great advice to have for later on. Thank you! If I have any questions I will definitely ask you. Much appreciated.

owlie

New

Post by owlie » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:02 pm

Got my admissions packet today. 13k/yr, 2.6 stip.

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:30 pm

Got the packet as well, $17k, same stip. Not as high as I was hoping given the job numbers coming out and my other offers, but we'll see.

nolabreeze

New

Post by nolabreeze » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:56 pm

got an acceptance email 12/24. awesome christmas present! i'm on vacay now and i assume my packet will be in the mail waiting for me...i have to wait til wed to get it. anxious to see what the scholly info is.

mip1011

New

Post by mip1011 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:06 am

Packet came today. 17k 2.6 stip. Sadly not enough to be competitive with some other schools. Anyone know if they give more as the application cycle goes?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

steepair

New

Post by steepair » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:11 pm

mip1011 wrote:Packet came today. 17k 2.6 stip. Sadly not enough to be competitive with some other schools. Anyone know if they give more as the application cycle goes?
not until the after the deadline for submitting your deposit has passed. after that, they re-distribute the aid left over from those who chose not to attend. as a 1L who went through the same thing last year, my advice is that if yr serious about going and want more money, wait until you have some numbers in from other schools and then write L&C a letter asking for more money. they'll respond with a letter saying that they won't give out more money until after the deadline has passed, but yr almost certain to get more money from them. especially if yr numbers are competitive. i was able to get $5K more/year from them.

BlazersTime

Bronze

Post by BlazersTime » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:31 pm

steepair wrote:
mip1011 wrote:Packet came today. 17k 2.6 stip. Sadly not enough to be competitive with some other schools. Anyone know if they give more as the application cycle goes?
not until the after the deadline for submitting your deposit has passed. after that, they re-distribute the aid left over from those who chose not to attend. as a 1L who went through the same thing last year, my advice is that if yr serious about going and want more money, wait until you have some numbers in from other schools and then write L&C a letter asking for more money. they'll respond with a letter saying that they won't give out more money until after the deadline has passed, but yr almost certain to get more money from them. especially if yr numbers are competitive. i was able to get $5K more/year from them.

Thank for the advice! I would love to attend Lewis and Clark. I don't want to be too greedy but I'd love a little more money from them.

bandenjamin

Bronze

Post by bandenjamin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:00 pm

well, in case you didn't already know, portland is divided up by quadrants, NW, SW, NE, SE. any time someone refers to "east", it's the east side of the willamette river. the school is located in literally southern-most part of SW. there are TONS of options for areas to live in. there are very little to no options within walking distance to campus, unless you are able to afford/want to rent an entire house. if you drive, expect at least a 15-20min drive to campus, no matter where you live (longer if yr in NE, usually).

obviously, due to it's proximity, SW is the best to live in if you want to be close to campus. multnomah village is a great little neighborhood to live in, but really, there are TONS of apartment options anywhere in SW. SW is also where the closest "burbs" are. beaverton and tigard seem to be the most popular and it is pretty easy (except for the traffic) to get to downtown portland. i technically live in one (beaverton), but i am literally one stoplight from portland proper and it takes me no more than 15-20mins to get to school. the "nightlife" extremely limited, but i don't mind because it makes studying easier. i love where i live.

NW is where downtown is located and there are some, albeit, more expensive options there. there are shops and restaurants, but again, they are probably more expensive than other areas of the city. it's also great cos the school runs a shuttle to and from downtown daily, and it runs multiple times a day.

NE is kind of a mixed bag. it is the area furthest from campus (i.e., substantially longer commute) and there are some sketchy areas, but rents tend to be cheaper there (most of the time) and there are some pockets of pretty cool areas. alberta street has a hipster vibe and has some pretty cool shops and restaurants.

SE, aside from where i live, is my favorite part of the city. my two favorite places over there are sellwood and the division street areas. both have super cool shops and great restaurants. if i could live in any other part of the city, i would live there. the only downer about that area is you'll probably get stuck coming and going to school over the sellwood bridge, which is the most dilapidated bridge ever and there tends to be a fair amount of traffic in the mornings and in the evenings due to the fact that it is only two lanes.

bottom line, if i had to give you advice, i would say, figure out how far you mind living from campus and try to pick some place based on that, especially for yr first year.
Not going to L&C myself cause my wife wants to move out of the area, but as someone who has lived in Portland my whole life (35) I'll say this is a pretty good description of the area. One thing you really want to consider though is your transportation situation. If you're going to try to go this route without a car you'll want to limit your living space a little and it will remove some of the cheaper options that are still pretty nice but not a horrible drive (Milwaukie, Oak Grove, Tigard). Public transportation here is not great (it's getting better) and is a bit on the expensive side.

It's also helpful if you're comfortable with grey, as in weather. All the pictures in those flyers are absolutely correct at how beautiful the area is, but one thing they tend to leave out is you'll get a ton of grey days. Everyone jokes about the rain, but it's not really so much that it rains a lot but that it is almost always threatening to rain. You'll have fantastic weather from about July 1st till around October 15th but the rest of the year it will stay between 40 - 60 degrees and be either raining or threatening to do so.

The culture is super liberal, so if you're really close minded you should probably practice being very quiet. If you're respectful though, most people will listen and in many cases even be open to trying to understand your point of view. It's pretty easy to sit down in a bar and strike up a conversation with anybody, no one will freak out on you.

Learn to love beer. We have some of the best beer in the world. People here can be very passionate about it and you might be surprised by some of the people who are. The night life is pretty tame compared to other cities but there are a few clubs downtown that will water down your drinks for you and charge guys $10 to get in. Pick up a copy of the barfly and read the reviews. They will tell you which bars are stripbars (lots), GLBT clubs (lots), sports bars (not many), etc. Pretty much every tavern outside of Portland does a live band on the weekend and frankly most of them are about what you would expect.

Feel free to hit me up if you have any specific questions about areas that are better/worse (there are like 4 blocks in the city you absolutely don't want to live, otherwise it's a matter of trade-offs). I know the city, but would be useless for the law school part :-) Good luck to all who got in!

sancho

New

Post by sancho » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:42 am

GPA stipulations are down to 2.60 from 2.95? That is pretty significant.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

fragrock

Bronze

Post by fragrock » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:54 pm

Got the "Final decision has been made" update on the status checker today. Anyone else? Based on the thread, sounds like I can expect a response maybe by the end of the week. I was just back home in Portland for the holidays and I was reminded how much I love it there!

eryj

New

Post by eryj » Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:58 pm

fragrock wrote:Got the "Final decision has been made" update on the status checker today. Anyone else? . . .
Same here. I'm anxious to see what they say, even though I've been accepted to a few schools higher up on my list.

CaliAliLouise

New

Post by CaliAliLouise » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:31 pm

fragrock wrote:Got the "Final decision has been made" update on the status checker today. Anyone else? Based on the thread, sounds like I can expect a response maybe by the end of the week. I was just back home in Portland for the holidays and I was reminded how much I love it there!
Got the same update. Definitely a little nervous. I would love to end up in Portland. I looked through the thread to try to figure out when I would get my decision. Is general consensus end of the week?
:shock:

fragrock

Bronze

Post by fragrock » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:34 pm

CaliAliLouise wrote: Got the same update. Definitely a little nervous. I would love to end up in Portland. I looked through the thread to try to figure out when I would get my decision. Is general consensus end of the week?
:shock:
The previous round appeared to get the status update in the evening on a Thursday and an email the next Tuesday. That could imply we may be waiting through the weekend. Hope not though!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bronze

Post by 1693 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:44 pm

fragrock wrote:Got the "Final decision has been made" update on the status checker today. Anyone else? Based on the thread, sounds like I can expect a response maybe by the end of the week. I was just back home in Portland for the holidays and I was reminded how much I love it there!
Try logging into the admitted students website tonight or tomorrow.

Pip42

Bronze

Post by Pip42 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:48 pm

1693 wrote:
Try logging into the admitted students website tonight or tomorrow.

Yeah. I heard about the trick too. Ha!

honolulu_hopeful

New

Post by honolulu_hopeful » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:43 am

Got the "We will start reviewing soon" packet today. A.K.A heart attack packet

CaliAliLouise

New

Post by CaliAliLouise » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Just received the "Congratulations you have been admitted email"!!! :D

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fragrock

Bronze

Post by fragrock » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:17 pm

Got the admit email as well! Excited to get the admissions packet, hoping to see some $$. :)

Pip42

Bronze

Post by Pip42 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:36 pm

In via email!

patienunderstanding

Bronze

Post by patienunderstanding » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:44 pm

Congrats to those admitted! When did you go complete?

nickb285

Silver

Post by nickb285 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:46 pm

Congrats everyone!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

blugirl400

New

Post by blugirl400 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:51 pm

I have a 158 and gap 3.7. I really want to go here. Do I have a shot? Have not yet applied, trying to decide if risk of taking February LSAT would be worth it. I'm thinking no...

Pip42

Bronze

Post by Pip42 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:00 pm

blugirl400 wrote:I have a 158 and gap 3.7. I really want to go here. Do I have a shot? Have not yet applied, trying to decide if risk of taking February LSAT would be worth it. I'm thinking no...
Law school predictor says you have a 50% shot. Personally I would retake. Even a 162 would get you some pretty good money at some schools with a 3.7. Obviously I don't know your situation but (and I really hate that I have to do this) retake is the best option.

blugirl400

New

Post by blugirl400 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:06 pm

I really just want to go to L&C. I just wonder how my app coming in so late will factor against me...

honolulu_hopeful

New

Post by honolulu_hopeful » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:17 pm

Pip42 wrote:
blugirl400 wrote:I have a 158 and gap 3.7. I really want to go here. Do I have a shot? Have not yet applied, trying to decide if risk of taking February LSAT would be worth it. I'm thinking no...
Law school predictor says you have a 50% shot. Personally I would retake. Even a 162 would get you some pretty good money at some schools with a 3.7. Obviously I don't know your situation but (and I really hate that I have to do this) retake is the best option.

I would disagree that your chances are as low as 50% because of your scores. What will hurt you is that You are applying in January. But You are above their 25th for LSAT and above their 75th for GPA. With a strong PS and maybe good softs you will have a respectable chance

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”