Lewis and Clark 2012-2013 applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
doppelganger

Re: Lewis and Clark 2012-2013 applicants

Postby doppelganger » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:55 pm

My date changed and it hasn't moved since Oct. How long now :shock:

bobbypin

Postby bobbypin » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:44 pm

Updated for me too! Yeah!

honolulu_hopeful

Postby honolulu_hopeful » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:14 pm

bobbypin wrote:Updated for me too! Yeah!

+1

patienunderstanding

Postby patienunderstanding » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:04 pm

honolulu_hopeful wrote:
bobbypin wrote:Updated for me too! Yeah!

+1

+1

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:06 am

I just thought I would contribute--Accepted on 12/24 with a $28,000/yr scholarship. Does anyone have any insight regarding the job placement rate of Lewis and Clark, beyond the broad statistics?

CaliAliLouise

Postby CaliAliLouise » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:17 am

Just got my acceptance letter. Took a week from Portland to LA. Received 17,000 a year with 2.6 stipulation. Also got the 400 dollar stipend to visit! So I will be there in March :D

fragrock

Postby fragrock » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:30 pm

Rory19 wrote:I just thought I would contribute--Accepted on 12/24 with a $28,000/yr scholarship. Does anyone have any insight regarding the job placement rate of Lewis and Clark, beyond the broad statistics?

Congratulations! Awesome offer. Unfortunately I don't have any huge insight into employment except to say from what I've seen working at a large firm in Portland and knowing a few local judges, L&C grads have a large presence in the local market. As for recent placement, I don't have much knowledge.

On a separate note, You are having a killer cycle! Congratulations on Harvard! Out of curiosity, with Harvard as an option, how do schools like L&C come into play with your decision?

sancho

Postby sancho » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Rory19 wrote:I just thought I would contribute--Accepted on 12/24 with a $28,000/yr scholarship. Does anyone have any insight regarding the job placement rate of Lewis and Clark, beyond the broad statistics?

A very big congrats to you as well! I think yours now may be the largest yet!

blugirl400

Postby blugirl400 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:48 pm

I just thought I would contribute--Accepted on 12/24 with a $28,000/yr scholarship. Does anyone have any insight regarding the job placement rate of Lewis and Clark, beyond the broad statistics?

Accepted at Harvard with a 166, wow what did you do? Save a small village?

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:15 pm

Thank you-Actually Harvard was a misclick, I meant to select "rejected"! Must have been a glimmer of remaining wishful thinking.... Hopefully I proofread my remaining applications better than my TLS profile.

To address the question though at a less prestigious level I truly am agonizing over my Georgetown acceptance vs L&C because I have this gut reaction that staying in Oregon will limit my options regionally in the long term but I cringe at the idea of graduating with all the debt that GULC would leave me with...

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi all, I made this spreadsheet last year some time. I used all the firms listed in NALP, which of course is not exhaustive, but it's a rough representation of "young" associates in the larger firms in Portland. I collected the data by hand from firm websites.
Grad year I also had to guess sometimes--either by how young an associate looked in their firm photo, by the year they passed the bar, etc.

Takeaways:
1. Lewis and Clark accounts for a little over 25% of the firm hires in recent years.
2. The three Oregon schools account for about half, all together.
3. A lot of the other half are from UW or T14 (just a guess, but I would bet most had local ties).
4. The Portland legal market is SMALL.

Cautions:
1. Plenty of these people were hired before the economy collapsed. The proportions by school may still be the same in this economy, but the overall hiring numbers are way down.
2. The link is gone now (or I can't find it), but the last two years, the Oregon State Bar published the list of law students hired as summer associates by Oregon (mostly Portland with 1 or 2 Salem) firms. There were 35, give or take. THIRTY-FIVE. If I remember correctly, L&C accounted for roughly 12 of them. That's a great percentage, but make sure you think about what 12 SAs means for everyone else in the class and weigh that in making your decision.

Here is a story on the OSB site about hiring trends in Oregon that sounds cautiously optimistic in some ways, and still pretty bad in others.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rory19

Postby Rory19 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:36 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Hi all, I made this spreadsheet last year some time. I used all the firms listed in NALP, which of course is not exhaustive, but it's a rough representation of "young" associates in the larger firms in Portland. I collected the data by hand from firm websites.
Grad year I also had to guess sometimes--either by how young an associate looked in their firm photo, by the year they passed the bar, etc.

Takeaways:
1. Lewis and Clark accounts for a little over 25% of the firm hires in recent years.
3. A lot of the other half are from UW or T14 (just a guess, but I would bet most had local ties).

Cautions:
1. Plenty of these people were hired before the economy collapsed. The proportions by school may still be the same in this economy, but the overall hiring numbers are way down.
2. The link is gone now (or I can't find it), but the last two years, the Oregon State Bar published the list of law students hired as summer associates by Oregon (mostly Portland with 1 or 2 Salem) firms. There were 35, give or take. THIRTY-FIVE. If I remember correctly, L&C accounted for roughly 12 of them. That's a great percentage, but make sure you think about what 12 SAs means for everyone else in the class and weigh that in making your decision.

Thank you! Wow, I had heard anecdotes speaking to this dynamic but had no idea the number was so small. 35!
I think another consideration for me comes into play when evaluating if private practice is still a potential career path for me or if I am truly committed to public interest work because L&C is ranked highly for PI job placement.

fragrock

Postby fragrock » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:43 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:

Takeaways:

Cautions:

Here is a story on the OSB site about hiring trends in Oregon that sounds cautiously optimistic in some ways, and still pretty bad in others.

This is amazing, thank you so much for doing this work! The year I worked as an intern at a large Portland Law firm was right before the collapse, and they had 12 or 13 summer associates, just for the one firm! I knew numbers were down, but that is pretty frightening. Wow.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:47 pm

fragrock wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Takeaways:

Cautions:

This is amazing, thank you so much for doing this work! The year I worked as an intern at a large Portland Law firm was right before the collapse, and they had 12 or 13 summer associates, just for the one firm! I knew numbers were down, but that is pretty frightening. Wow.

I believe the largest firm class of SAs last year was 3 or 4. Maaaaaybe 5. But definitely no more than that. No firms have 12 or 13 anymore.

Pip42

Postby Pip42 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:50 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
fragrock wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Takeaways:

Cautions:

I believe the largest firm class of SAs last year was 3 or 4. Maaaaaybe 5. But definitely no more than that. No firms have 12 or 13 anymore.

+1 Absolutly amazing info.

Annnnnnd now Portland terrifies me. I'm still going to visit but, man!

fragrock

Postby fragrock » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:28 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:I believe the largest firm class of SAs last year was 3 or 4. Maaaaaybe 5. But definitely no more than that. No firms have 12 or 13 anymore.

Just out of curiosity, I looked into your situation a little (sorry for creeping). Do you have any plans to come back to the PNW after attending NU? I'm from the Portland area originally, was in Evanston for undergrad, and NUSL is my uber-reach dream school. Based on the statistics you posted, you probably will be better off staying in Chicago, right?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:32 pm

fragrock wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:I believe the largest firm class of SAs last year was 3 or 4. Maaaaaybe 5. But definitely no more than that. No firms have 12 or 13 anymore.

Just out of curiosity, I looked into your situation a little (sorry for creeping). Do you have any plans to come back to the PNW after attending NU? I'm from the Portland area originally, was in Evanston for undergrad, and NUSL is my uber-reach dream school. Based on the statistics you posted, you probably will be better off staying in Chicago, right?

I definitely would prefer to come home. I care less about what kind of legal work I end up doing than where I end up doing it. Chicago is my backup if I can't get Portland or any of the equally challenging markets of Seattle, Denver and San Francisco. (Somewhat larger small markets but hard to break into. I have some small personal ties to each.)

sancho

Postby sancho » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:58 pm

I remember reading on another thread (can't find it now) that one large Portland firm pays its first years $5k-$10k more than any other large Portland firm. Does anyone happen to know which it is?

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:36 pm

sancho wrote:I remember reading on another thread (can't find it now) that one large Portland firm pays its first years $5k-$10k more than any other large Portland firm. Does anyone happen to know which it is?

A NALP search gives me two outliers at the high end:
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe - $145k (only 7 lawyers in Portland office)
Marten Law - $127.5k (Enviro/Energy boutique)

The rest of Portland "biglaw":
Perkins Coie - $115k
Stoel Rives - $115k
Davis Wright Tremaine - $110k
Lane Powell - $110k
Klarquist Sparkman - $105k
Miller Nash - $105k
Tonkon Torp - $105k

sancho

Postby sancho » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:19 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
sancho wrote:I remember reading on another thread (can't find it now) that one large Portland firm pays its first years $5k-$10k more than any other large Portland firm. Does anyone happen to know which it is?

A NALP search gives me two outliers at the high end:
Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe - $145k (only 7 lawyers in Portland office)
Marten Law - $127.5k (Enviro/Energy boutique)

The rest of Portland "biglaw":
Perkins Coie - $115k
Stoel Rives - $115k
Davis Wright Tremaine - $110k
Lane Powell - $110k
Klarquist Sparkman - $105k
Miller Nash - $105k
Tonkon Torp - $105k

Thanks for that. Is this the website you used? It seems rather unwieldy.

http://www.nalpdirectory.com/

And where is Holland & Knight?

sancho

Postby sancho » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:47 pm

sancho wrote: And where is Holland & Knight?

And does anyone know the 1L salary for K&L Gates? It's coming up blank.

Holland's Portland office is not even showing up in the search results...

ME->GA08

Postby ME->GA08 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:25 pm

Quick question, 'cause this is all new to me:
I got an acceptance E-mail from L&C, but I'm still waiting for the letter. Do they typically divulge $$$ info in the e-mail?
I'm on the border of getting money, I think (161/3.25), but it's going to play a huge decision in where I go, obviously. Thanks!

johnsbren

Postby johnsbren » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:33 pm

ME->GA08 wrote:Quick question, 'cause this is all new to me:
I got an acceptance E-mail from L&C, but I'm still waiting for the letter. Do they typically divulge $$$ info in the e-mail?
I'm on the border of getting money, I think (161/3.25), but it's going to play a huge decision in where I go, obviously. Thanks!

you'll find out in the packet, very few schools say it in the email. as for scholarships, it comes to more than just scores, although it seems like a huge part of it. you have a pretty good shot at something if you have decent softs as well.

atti88

Postby atti88 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:22 pm

for those who got accepted when did you apply to Lewis and Clark?

patienunderstanding

Postby patienunderstanding » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:28 pm

atti88 wrote:for those who got accepted when did you apply to Lewis and Clark?

This and also did you notice your status checker update a few days before decision? If so, do you recall how many days before?
Thanks a lot :D

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”