Wake Forest c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tstyler98

Re: Wake Forest c/o 2016

Postby tstyler98 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:48 am

RAWR wrote:Does anyone know if we'll have the opportunity Friday (ASD) to meet one-on-one with anyone in admissions to ask specific questions / negotiate scholly?

I'm not sure if they have time specifically set aside in the schedule for it, but I would think you should be able to ask them to do so. You can either wait until you're here or call/email them and ask to meet while you're here.

aklam19

Postby aklam19 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:44 pm

Is anyone on TLS waiting for the wait list with me?

cookjs8

Postby cookjs8 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:52 pm

aklam19 wrote:Is anyone on TLS waiting for the wait list with me?

I am...

Hopefully Wake will start to roll out some (good) news from the WL soon.

ramsdancer1

Postby ramsdancer1 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:07 pm

RAWR wrote:Does anyone know if we'll have the opportunity Friday (ASD) to meet one-on-one with anyone in admissions to ask specific questions / negotiate scholly?

When I went to ASD in Feb they had people from admissions and financial aid there so if people had questions they could ask. In the morning they gave us time to walk around and talk individually to student organizations and people from pretty much every area of the school. I'm sure you could ask them then. However, I tried asking for an increased scholarship prior to ASD and they said they rarely did that and they would want offers from peer schools that would make your costs less to consider it.

aklam19

Postby aklam19 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:25 pm

cookjs8 wrote:

I am...

Hopefully Wake will start to roll out some (good) news from the WL soon.

I wish we knew how many people have accepted

fourtyacslaw

Postby fourtyacslaw » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:48 pm

I'm a prospective student and if anyone else attended the ASD today and is staying in Winston-Salem tonight wants to meet up for a drink or to experience the town, feel free to pm me. Also, if any current students see this and would be willing to meet sometime tonight to talk about the school, that'd be great as well.

tony2167

Postby tony2167 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:38 am

Went to the ASD yesterday. Really wanted to like Wake Forest but it's just not for me. Will be withdrawing soon, hope it goes to one of you guys who wants it.

deaconjohn

Postby deaconjohn » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:20 pm

tony2167 wrote:Went to the ASD yesterday. Really wanted to like Wake Forest but it's just not for me. Will be withdrawing soon, hope it goes to one of you guys who wants it.

Could you share what you didn't like for those people who are still considering Wake Forest?

gatorfan163287

Postby gatorfan163287 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 3:45 pm

I know the deposit deadline was Monday, but I did not submit my deposit and will officially withdraw either today or tomorrow via e-mail I think.

To answer the above, I will list what I did not like and what I liked about Wake when I visited (not on an ASD).

I liked the smaller class sizes for 1L's comparative to other schools I am considering. I liked how everyone seemed pretty laid back and chill when it came to competitiveness and it seemed like a very collegiate atmosphere. Nearby apartments are also very affordable for a very nice place and Winston-Salem is a pretty nice town and not a bad place to spend 3 years. I also like the price for me at least as they awarded me the highest scholly of all the schools I have applied to.

I did not like the building. It is shared with the business school currently divided half and half. This will be changed next year in fall 2013 when the business school moves into their new building (which is amazing), but I am not sure if the law school will take over the whole building or if another school graduate program will move into the space currently occupied by the business school. The classrooms were mediocre (but thats mostly everywhere) as was the library. What I found most disconcerting about the school however was the quality of the teaching and the level of discussion in the classrooms. I attended 2 classes with a buddy (1L) while I was there and let's just say the level of discussion in the classroom was nowhere near the academic level as when I attended the very same classes (con-law and property) at other schools including Fordham, WUSTL, and BU. This may not matter to most but I found this to be my biggest problem with the school simply because I felt like I was in a dumbed down class on the topic matter. I even learned the same material (NEXUS test and 13-14th amendment) at another school and the level of discussion was not even comparable in terms of how much I learned and the quality of the teaching (yes it could've just been the teacher(s)). Lastly you are competing with many schools in the area for jobs which accounts for the mediocre employment numbers. The numbers are not horrible, but they are not great and it scares me competing with so many schools for Charlotte, DC, ATL, ect.

That's my 2 cents. And as it seems at every law school, most of the single girls in the 1L class, of which there are only a limited number, were not the most attractive :wink:

bowie.alan

Postby bowie.alan » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:10 pm

What I found most disconcerting about the school however was the quality of the teaching and the level of discussion in the classrooms.

I don't mean this with any level of disrespect but do you realize you're someone with very limited legal experience and even more limited legal knowledge evaluating the quality of teaching?

tony2167

Postby tony2167 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:27 pm

deaconjohn wrote:
tony2167 wrote:Went to the ASD yesterday. Really wanted to like Wake Forest but it's just not for me. Will be withdrawing soon, hope it goes to one of you guys who wants it.

Could you share what you didn't like for those people who are still considering Wake Forest?

Not going to air it out in here but if anyone else is interested feel free to PM me.

slawww

Postby slawww » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:52 pm

bowie.alan wrote:
What I found most disconcerting about the school however was the quality of the teaching and the level of discussion in the classrooms.

I don't mean this with any level of disrespect but do you realize you're someone with very limited legal experience and even more limited legal knowledge evaluating the quality of teaching?

Seriously, and this is from someone who decided Wake was not for them either.

gatorfan163287 wrote: I even learned the same material (NEXUS test and 13-14th amendment) at another school and the level of discussion was not even comparable in terms of how much I learned and the quality of the teaching (yes it could've just been the teacher(s)).

You're kidding, right? You're talking about what you learned while sitting in a class as an 0L?

gatorfan163287

Postby gatorfan163287 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:16 am

Obviously take what I said with a grain of salt as I am a 0L. However I simply was explaining what did it for me. And while yes I was just sitting in on classes with no knowledge beforehand I just gauged it on how much I had learned leaving the class. And while I may not be an expert on legal teaching it wasn't hard to tell a difference between schools when one felt like cliff notes and not like a real book. Could just be my limited sample but that was just my opinion it isn't going to be the same for everyone.

pifhib2

Postby pifhib2 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:03 am

gatorfan163287 wrote:Obviously take what I said with a grain of salt as I am a 0L. However I simply was explaining what did it for me. And while yes I was just sitting in on classes with no knowledge beforehand I just gauged it on how much I had learned leaving the class. And while I may not be an expert on legal teaching it wasn't hard to tell a difference between schools when one felt like cliff notes and not like a real book. Could just be my limited sample but that was just my opinion it isn't going to be the same for everyone.

I think your issue was a limited sample size. There are BLL classes that are taught by professors that don't seem to enjoy the material. Same as every law school in the nation. There are also classes taught by incredible professors that love the material, stimulate great discussions, and are absolutely phenomenal at what they do. I assume that is the same as every law school in the nation as well.

Do you mind letting us know what classes you are talking about? I've had some classes that haven't been worth attending. Anything you learned during the hour lecture could be learned in 10 minutes with a supplement, and you didn't have to leave bed to do it. I've had other classes that I couldn't imagine missing. The information provided by the prof and the discussion from my peers couldn't be learned from someone else's outline or a commercial supplement.

Also, you're a 0L man, cmon.

Poo-T

Postby Poo-T » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:36 am

Sup ya'll.

I've been searching for apartments, and I was wondering if anyone has had any FIRST HAND experience with Ashton Oaks. Could you tell me if you liked it or not?

Thanks

RAWR

Postby RAWR » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:13 pm

Went apartment hunting this weekend! Looks like it's a much better deal if you go into it with roommates. I can't find the 2016 group on Facebook, which I assume has other people searching for roommates. Any tips on where I can find it? Or any other avenue through which I can start searching for roommates?

Thanks!

shaynislegend

Postby shaynislegend » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:01 pm

RAWR wrote:Went apartment hunting this weekend! Looks like it's a much better deal if you go into it with roommates. I can't find the 2016 group on Facebook, which I assume has other people searching for roommates. Any tips on where I can find it? Or any other avenue through which I can start searching for roommates?

Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/289649014498145/

RAWR

Postby RAWR » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:53 pm

shaynislegend wrote:
RAWR wrote:Went apartment hunting this weekend! Looks like it's a much better deal if you go into it with roommates. I can't find the 2016 group on Facebook, which I assume has other people searching for roommates. Any tips on where I can find it? Or any other avenue through which I can start searching for roommates?

Thanks!

Thank you! Anyone else looking for roommates?

valrath

Postby valrath » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:15 pm

RAWR wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:

Thanks!

Thank you! Anyone else looking for roommates?

I may, potentially. I'm liking Wake but haven't fully decided on it yet.

lp120

Postby lp120 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:53 am

Withdrew last week with 20k, wake forest just wasn't for me. Good luck to everyone!

smashndash

Postby smashndash » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:41 am

I am, I'm in at others, but really like wake and would visit right away if admitted.

aklam19

Postby aklam19 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:10 pm

lp120 wrote:Withdrew last week with 20k, wake forest just wasn't for me. Good luck to everyone!

good luck to you too! hope i get your spot :P

aklam19

Postby aklam19 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:10 pm

smashndash wrote:

I am, I'm in at others, but really like wake and would visit right away if admitted.

where else are you in? i'm going to wake if they call me. holding out hope..

smashndash

Postby smashndash » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:21 pm

aklam19 wrote:
smashndash wrote:

where else are you in? i'm going to wake if they call me. holding out hope..

Tulane

shaynislegend

Postby shaynislegend » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:58 pm

lp120 wrote:Withdrew last week with 20k, wake forest just wasn't for me. Good luck to everyone!

Make sure you send it over here. :lol:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”