Wake Forest c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aklam19

Re: Wake Forest c/o 2016

Postby aklam19 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:04 pm

just sent in my LOCI. hope that something good comes out of it. best of luck to everyone accepted!

whitese51

Postby whitese51 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:13 pm

harrjl9 wrote:
Technically no. But the graduate school tickets do not have names on them. So the "best" thing to do is make friends with a 1L that hates sports and ask to use their ID to pick up tickets and get into games. You could also use their ID to buy "Screamin Demon" passes but you will need to use that same ID every game. The only game last season that they even check the ID's was Notre Dame football. They RARELY even look at the pictures (I used to use men's pictures to get in women and vice versa).

I think I've been ID'd once for a football game, and every single time I've gone to a bball game with a [graduate] student ticket.

Also, I'll be at ASD from 9-10 on April 5. PM me if you have questions about Wake from a 2L TLSer and I'll let you know when it gets closer how to find me.

chem!

Postby chem! » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:10 pm

Just withdrew my application. I hope one of you on the WL gets a call soon!

2012Lsatscore

Postby 2012Lsatscore » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Last edited by 2012Lsatscore on Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tony2167

Postby tony2167 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:14 pm

New LST report for Wake is pretty impressive: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=wake

shaynislegend

Postby shaynislegend » Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:17 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:Seat deposit hitting the mail tomorrow.

Glad to hear you are giving Emory the stiff arm.

rheannabanana

Postby rheannabanana » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:40 am

sent my seat deposit in this weekend. Wake Forest is a top contender for me but I've never even been to NC so I am trying my hardest to visit. I'd love more info on the campus and the surrounding area from anyone who's been there or who currently goes to Wake. If I'm going to live on ramen thousands of miles away from everyone I know, I want to make sure I'm making the right decision :)

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:44 am

rheannabanana wrote:sent my seat deposit in this weekend. Wake Forest is a top contender for me but I've never even been to NC so I am trying my hardest to visit. I'd love more info on the campus and the surrounding area from anyone who's been there or who currently goes to Wake. If I'm going to live on ramen thousands of miles away from everyone I know, I want to make sure I'm making the right decision :)

Campus

The law school is sort of set off from the undergrad part of campus. It only takes less than 10 minutes to walk to the main part of campus, but we're not directly on it. We're actually closer to some of the athletic stuff, including the gym. The campus is quite pretty. And it's funny to see the main campus TPd when Wake wins a game (the students do it themselves, which is weird). There are places to eat on campus, ranging from Subway/Moe's/Chic-fil-a to an all you can eat dining hall. Law students can use these and just pay with cash or credit. There are various events on campus. Sometimes they email the whole university about these events and sometimes you have to look on your own.

Off Campus

Less than two miles from campus is the football stadium and basketball arena. You can park for free at Senior Services (a block behind the basketball arena) if you have a Wake ID. Tickets for the games are free. Football tickets are passed out a few days before the game on a first-come, first-served basis, but I've never seen them run out. Basketball tickets are distributed by lottery that you sign up for online.

The area surrounding the campus is mostly residential. There are houses that people own and live in and houses that people rent out to students. Near the western gate of campus is a placed called Reynolda Village, which has several restaurants and shops. North of that on Reynolda are some restaurants, grocery stores, fast food, etc. Less than a mile north of the main entrance to campus on University is another grocery store, post office, fast food, etc. You can walk to all of these places, but driving is easier.

There is a Walmart and Target both several miles north of campus and several miles south of campus. Downtown and the mall is also several miles south of campus. You can find almost anything you're looking for down near the mall.

deaconjohn

Postby deaconjohn » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:55 pm

I graduated from Wake Forest's undergraduate school in 2007. I'm returning to attend law school in the fall. I wanted to weigh in on the campus and the town.

The campus is very nice. In fact, it won an award for being the most beautiful campus in the nation about the time I graduated. It is known for its brick buildings and two large quads. The school is very small (roughly 4,000 undergraduates) and gated. They call it the Wake Forest bubble because so much student life is contained within the gates. The campus is so small that you can get from the law school to any other spot on campus with a 15 minute walk.

The city of Winston-Salem is not as attractive as the Wake Forest campus. It is an old industrial town that hasn't morphed into a modern city despite its best efforts. Every time it seems Winston-Salem has a great new employer (Wachovia Bank, Krispy Kreme, Dell) it falls through and plans are scrapped. Still, Winston-Salem has something for everyone. It has bars, restaurants, performing arts, concerts, college sports, wineries, and outdoor adventures. That said, it doesn't have a lot of any of those things. If your favorite American cities are LA, New York, and Miami this might not be the city for you. If you want a quiet place to study law and enjoy some simple pleasures this might be just the place.

rheannabanana

Postby rheannabanana » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:02 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
Campus

The law school is sort of set off from the undergrad part of campus. It only takes less than 10 minutes to walk to the main part of campus, but we're not directly on it. We're actually closer to some of the athletic stuff, including the gym. The campus is quite pretty. And it's funny to see the main campus TPd when Wake wins a game (the students do it themselves, which is weird). There are places to eat on campus, ranging from Subway/Moe's/Chic-fil-a to an all you can eat dining hall. Law students can use these and just pay with cash or credit. There are various events on campus. Sometimes they email the whole university about these events and sometimes you have to look on your own.

Off Campus

Less than two miles from campus is the football stadium and basketball arena. You can park for free at Senior Services (a block behind the basketball arena) if you have a Wake ID. Tickets for the games are free. Football tickets are passed out a few days before the game on a first-come, first-served basis, but I've never seen them run out. Basketball tickets are distributed by lottery that you sign up for online.

The area surrounding the campus is mostly residential. There are houses that people own and live in and houses that people rent out to students. Near the western gate of campus is a placed called Reynolda Village, which has several restaurants and shops. North of that on Reynolda are some restaurants, grocery stores, fast food, etc. Less than a mile north of the main entrance to campus on University is another grocery store, post office, fast food, etc. You can walk to all of these places, but driving is easier.

There is a Walmart and Target both several miles north of campus and several miles south of campus. Downtown and the mall is also several miles south of campus. You can find almost anything you're looking for down near the mall.

Thank you, thank you!

You mentioned the law school's proximity to the gym, and I believe I read somewhere that law students can use the UG gym, is that correct? I am not looking for anything fancy just an option where I might avoid astronomical gym prices :)

It sounds like most things I'd need on a day-to-day basis are very nearby, and I will be bringing a car for bigger shopping trips. Looking online, it seemed like the mall area was fairly close by, but it was hard to tell if it is built up decently or is a ghost town. I've lived places where I've had to drive an hour each way for decent shopping and that was a pain...

Do you have any knowledge of outdoor activities in the area at all? It sounds like I'd be giving up snowboarding and the beach for three years, but how about hiking? Are there any rivers or lakes nearby that people go to? What do people do outdoors around there, assuming the weather is tolerable?

rheannabanana

Postby rheannabanana » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:08 pm

deaconjohn wrote:I graduated from Wake Forest's undergraduate school in 2007. I'm returning to attend law school in the fall. I wanted to weigh in on the campus and the town.

The campus is very nice. In fact, it won an award for being the most beautiful campus in the nation about the time I graduated. It is known for its brick buildings and two large quads. The school is very small (roughly 4,000 undergraduates) and gated. They call it the Wake Forest bubble because so much student life is contained within the gates. The campus is so small that you can get from the law school to any other spot on campus with a 15 minute walk.

The city of Winston-Salem is not as attractive as the Wake Forest campus. It is an old industrial town that hasn't morphed into a modern city despite its best efforts. Every time it seems Winston-Salem has a great new employer (Wachovia Bank, Krispy Kreme, Dell) it falls through and plans are scrapped. Still, Winston-Salem has something for everyone. It has bars, restaurants, performing arts, concerts, college sports, wineries, and outdoor adventures. That said, it doesn't have a lot of any of those things. If your favorite American cities are LA, New York, and Miami this might not be the city for you. If you want a quiet place to study law and enjoy some simple pleasures this might be just the place.

Thank you for weighing in! I don't remember hearing that the school was gated before, that's news to me. I have been to a few other campuses that are as well, however, and it seemed alright.

Question about Winston-Salem in general: I gather it's not exactly *booming,* but is it deserted and run-down? Or just quiet? Would you say that it is fairly safe or definitely don't go out alone at night status? I've lived everywhere from tiny mountain towns (if you could call them that), to major cities (Portland, LA area), so I can handle either...just trying to get a feel for the area.

I'm glad to read your comment about outdoor activities because I couldn't find much online about what's available and I feel I'll need to get away from the books and get some fresh air sometimes. I also have a dog I would be bringing with me and would like to take him out to explore.

It sounds like a pretty neat place, overall. I tend to like quieter places and am much more at home in a small cafe or a local dive bar than I am in a big-city club. I'm a NT student and while not totally boring yet, I have mellowed out a bit with age. :D

slawww

Postby slawww » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:24 pm

I'd definitely recommend visiting Winston-Salem if you're considering Wake and have never been there before. As an out-of-stater coming from a big city, W-S is just not for me. The campus is definitely beautiful, but again, I'd definitely recommend visiting before deciding to spend the next 3 years there!

rheannabanana

Postby rheannabanana » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:41 pm

slawww wrote:I'd definitely recommend visiting Winston-Salem if you're considering Wake and have never been there before. As an out-of-stater coming from a big city, W-S is just not for me. The campus is definitely beautiful, but again, I'd definitely recommend visiting before deciding to spend the next 3 years there!

I definitely plan on visiting, thanks! I was trying to get over there for ASD, but I may have to just go on my own later. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can now so I have some background knowledge when I get there.

Can I ask if there was anything specific that turned you off of the area? Or just general smaller town drawbacks?

slawww

Postby slawww » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:52 pm

rheannabanana wrote:
slawww wrote:I'd definitely recommend visiting Winston-Salem if you're considering Wake and have never been there before. As an out-of-stater coming from a big city, W-S is just not for me. The campus is definitely beautiful, but again, I'd definitely recommend visiting before deciding to spend the next 3 years there!

I definitely plan on visiting, thanks! I was trying to get over there for ASD, but I may have to just go on my own later. I'm just trying to get as much info as I can now so I have some background knowledge when I get there.

Can I ask if there was anything specific that turned you off of the area? Or just general smaller town drawbacks?

I wouldn't say anything necessarily turned me off, but W-S is just a much, much smaller city than I'm used to; it just wasn't for me. My main reason for not attending, though, is because i want to work in my home state, FL, so I'll be going to school there. If I wanted to work in NC, I'd go to Wake in a heartbeat.

gitguy

Postby gitguy » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:08 pm

Withdrew today. Tough decision in light of a nice offer from Wake. $$ back in the pot.

nutininut

Postby nutininut » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:51 am

deaconjohn wrote:I graduated from Wake Forest's undergraduate school in 2007. I'm returning to attend law school in the fall. I wanted to weigh in on the campus and the town.

Errr, Wachovia and Krispy Kreme both started in Winston. As did RJR, Hanes, and several other large corporations. While the medical school is now the city's largest employer, I wouldn't call it a worn down by any stretch of the imagination. There's all sorts of charm here. But you're absolutely right, this is not a big city.

ramsdancer1

Postby ramsdancer1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:26 am

rheannabanana wrote:Thank you for weighing in! I don't remember hearing that the school was gated before, that's news to me. I have been to a few other campuses that are as well, however, and it seemed alright.

Question about Winston-Salem in general: I gather it's not exactly *booming,* but is it deserted and run-down? Or just quiet? Would you say that it is fairly safe or definitely don't go out alone at night status? I've lived everywhere from tiny mountain towns (if you could call them that), to major cities (Portland, LA area), so I can handle either...just trying to get a feel for the area.

I visited the campus in Feb and I would say that Winston Salem isn't run down just a little quiet. I've lived in a small town in SC and went to college in Columbia, SC (which while it is a city it isn't that big) and to me Wake seems like a cross between them...it's like a large small town with plenty of options in dining and entertianment close by. I didn't feel unsafe in the area. I walked downtown by myself at night and I felt safe... which is something I wouldn't do everywhere being a female. People told me that a police station moved downtown so it tends to be safer. There were some homeless people but really not that many from what I saw. I thought it would be a great place to go to school because there is stuff to do but it is not in your face all the time so you would actually be able to study. Hope that helps some! I think if you go visit that you will really like the campus-its beautiful!

shaynislegend

Postby shaynislegend » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:38 am

I went to visit Wake a few weeks ago. The campus is awesome, and the down town isn't bad either especially if you are fine with the small town feel. I am in Atlanta now so W-S seems like the polar opposite, which for me is a good thing. The undergraduate campus is extremely nice and everything is really close by.

Also, I have already received a scholarship at Wake and have sent in my deposit but does anyone know how the admissions office would look at a June LSAT? I am considering taking the LSAT again in June to see if I can use a higher score to pull more money. Anyone know if this is possible, and if so would they even see my new score?

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:08 pm

rheannabanana wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:
Campus

Off Campus

Thank you, thank you!

You mentioned the law school's proximity to the gym, and I believe I read somewhere that law students can use the UG gym, is that correct? I am not looking for anything fancy just an option where I might avoid astronomical gym prices :)

It sounds like most things I'd need on a day-to-day basis are very nearby, and I will be bringing a car for bigger shopping trips. Looking online, it seemed like the mall area was fairly close by, but it was hard to tell if it is built up decently or is a ghost town. I've lived places where I've had to drive an hour each way for decent shopping and that was a pain...

Do you have any knowledge of outdoor activities in the area at all? It sounds like I'd be giving up snowboarding and the beach for three years, but how about hiking? Are there any rivers or lakes nearby that people go to? What do people do outdoors around there, assuming the weather is tolerable?

The gym is free for all students. It's pretty decent with treadmills, ellipticals, row machines, weight machines, free weights, etc. There are classes (I think there might be an additional charge for those, but I'm not sure). Depending on when you go, it can be crowded. I sometimes have to wait 5-10 minutes to get a treadmill, even when none are out of commission (they usually fix them quickly).

The mall is about a 15 minute drive from campus, so not too far but not extremely close. There are a ton of stores in the mall and nearby.

People will go hiking for the day. There are two mountains within about an hour drive. One is Pilot Mountain and the other is Hanging Rock. My fiancee and I camped at Hanging Rock for a weekend after our 1L year and it was a lot of fun. I'm not sure about rivers or lakes. There are several parks in Winston-Salem and people go there to walk through some woodsy areas. There are running races quite often nearby (including Warrior Dash and Tough Mudder). There's golf if you're into that.

tstyler98

Postby tstyler98 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:14 pm

rheannabanana wrote:

Thank you for weighing in! I don't remember hearing that the school was gated before, that's news to me. I have been to a few other campuses that are as well, however, and it seemed alright.

I'm glad to read your comment about outdoor activities because I couldn't find much online about what's available and I feel I'll need to get away from the books and get some fresh air sometimes. I also have a dog I would be bringing with me and would like to take him out to explore.

It sounds like a pretty neat place, overall. I tend to like quieter places and am much more at home in a small cafe or a local dive bar than I am in a big-city club. I'm a NT student and while not totally boring yet, I have mellowed out a bit with age. :D

The campus is gated in the sense that there are gates at each vehicle entrance, but it's not fenced off the whole way or anything. The gates are open during the day and closed at night with guards (you need to have a Wake ID to get in). One of the entrances (the one on Polo) closes at 10:30 pm each night, so you can't get in or out after that until the next morning (like 7:00 I think). If you're walking, you can get in anywhere.

It's not deserted and run-down, but it's not a big city either. Downtown is trying to revive and has restaurants and bars that are frequently visited by students (especially on the weekends). There are certain areas where I wouldn't want to walk by myself at night, but I generally feel safe (I'm a girl so I try to err on the safe side). I've lived in small towns and big cities as well, and I found Winston to be a good in between. It has lots of stuff but isn't bustling like a big city.

ramsdancer1

Postby ramsdancer1 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:11 pm

shaynislegend wrote: Also, I have already received a scholarship at Wake and have sent in my deposit but does anyone know how the admissions office would look at a June LSAT? I am considering taking the LSAT again in June to see if I can use a higher score to pull more money. Anyone know if this is possible, and if so would they even see my new score?

I'm pretty sure they would see your new score I think they get it automatically but the question is whether or not they would have money to give at that point. It might be worth asking Wake about. I am staying on the Emory waitlist just to see if by some miracle they admit me with more money that Wake so I can get more money as well but I'm skeptical that by that time money would be left (maybe if someone with a big scholarship drops out before/after the second seat deposit but the odds are probably not that good).

deaconjohn

Postby deaconjohn » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:15 pm

nutininut wrote:

Errr, Wachovia and Krispy Kreme both started in Winston. As did RJR, Hanes, and several other large corporations. While the medical school is now the city's largest employer, I wouldn't call it a worn down by any stretch of the imagination. There's all sorts of charm here. But you're absolutely right, this is not a big city.

Err, I didn't say anything about where Wachovia and Krispy Kreme started. What I was saying is that they were viewed, at slightly different times, as representative of a new post-tobacco Winston-Salem. You obviously live in Winston-Salem, so you should know better than anyone how hard the area has tried to reinvent itself over the past two decades.

deaconjohn

Postby deaconjohn » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:15 pm

rheannabanana wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:
Campus

Off Campus

Thank you, thank you!

The Reynolds Home, Reynolda House, is linked to campus by a pedestrian bridge. There is a pond and walking trails around the home where many people walk their dogs and run. Outside of Winston-Salem you can find a number of places for outdoors activities. Two that come to mind are Pilot Mountain to the north and Tanglewood to the west.

RAWR

Postby RAWR » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:07 pm

Does anyone know if we'll have the opportunity Friday (ASD) to meet one-on-one with anyone in admissions to ask specific questions / negotiate scholly?

rheannabanana

Postby rheannabanana » Thu Apr 04, 2013 2:51 am

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone that responded to my questions about the Wake Forest campus and Winston-Salem in general. I appreciate all the input!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”