Wake Forest c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ramsdancer1

Re: Wake Forest c/o 2016

Postby ramsdancer1 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:14 am

PirateCap'n wrote:Just an FYI to you all, Wake usually doesn't send out the scholarship rejections until the people they plan to give them to have officially accepted them. If they're sending out dings, that means they've already picked the recipients, and those people have accepted. That's how it's worked the past couple of years, and I doubt it's any different this year. For those of you who don't get them, I would still strongly encourage you to consider Wake.

They said this time they were narrowing it down to 4 or 5 finalists and then the donor would decide.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:28 am

ramsdancer1 wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:Just an FYI to you all, Wake usually doesn't send out the scholarship rejections until the people they plan to give them to have officially accepted them. If they're sending out dings, that means they've already picked the recipients, and those people have accepted. That's how it's worked the past couple of years, and I doubt it's any different this year. For those of you who don't get them, I would still strongly encourage you to consider Wake.

They said this time they were narrowing it down to 4 or 5 finalists and then the donor would decide.

My inclination would be that they would've still picked the finalists and received a reaffirmation of interest from them before rejecting people (just as they would if they were just selecting people directly). I could certainly be wrong though. My main point is that those of you who haven't received rejections yet shouldn't take that as a sign that you're likely to be a finalist since those people are almost always notified beforehand. I doubt that bit changed this year. Of course , if they told you something that conflicts with that, definitely go with what they told you.

WaltWhite

Postby WaltWhite » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:25 pm

slawww wrote:
ramsdancer1 wrote:
slawww wrote:Also dinged from both :(

Probably won't be attending, either. Was really banking on on of those schollys.

I'm sorry to hear that. I still haven't gotten that email...if you don't mind me asking how long ago did you get that email? I'm trying not to get excited because they all might not be sent out yet.

I got the Rose at 9:43, the Hearn e-mail at 10:16. Good luck!

I got the Hearn at 11:16, so don't narrow the rejections down to a single hour.

WaltWhite

Postby WaltWhite » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:43 pm

Also, not sure of the continued validity of this statement, but it is worth considering:
I read on last year's thread that the Hearn and Rose Scholarships would replace, not enhance your existing scholarship offers.

Hoping this isn't true...

rwilson37643

Postby rwilson37643 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:06 pm

no news yet, more happy thoughts :lol:

WakeLawAdmDean

Postby WakeLawAdmDean » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:40 pm

TLSers~

If you weren't selected as a finalist for the Rose and Hearn you should have received an email today. There are six finalists for each award that have been sent along to the donor for consideration. He can choose to award the money in any way he chooses.

Any award for this scholarship will be in addition to any award you've already received. Awards haven't been made to anyone yet and thus haven't already been accepted.

Once the donor selects who will receive an award from the Rose and Hearn scholarships we'll inform all of the finalists.

Let me know of any questions.

Warm regards,
Jay Shively
Wake Law

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:13 pm

Status checker update: 3/22 "Letter from Dean Gibbs"

Any ideas what this letter pertains too? Anyone receive one recently?

slawww

Postby slawww » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:40 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:Status checker update: 3/22 "Letter from Dean Gibbs"

I got one like a week or two ago. It was basically just a letter praising Wake, no money or anything, unfortunately.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:47 pm

slawww wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:Status checker update: 3/22 "Letter from Dean Gibbs"

I got one like a week or two ago. It was basically just a letter praising Wake, no money or anything, unfortunately.

Thought so, unfortunately wake goes back into the dugout.

slawww

Postby slawww » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:43 am

dirtrida2 wrote:

Yeah, same here. I have a half scholly, but it's just not enough for me to attend.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:50 am

slawww wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:

Yeah, same here. I have a half scholly, but it's just not enough for me to attend.

Same - mind PM'ing me your numbers and what schools you think you might attend?

I really wish it had worked out, I would have loved to end up at Wake.

slawww

Postby slawww » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:02 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:

PMed.

danceislovex37

Postby danceislovex37 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:57 pm

has anyone still not been accepted?

arodasi

Postby arodasi » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:00 pm

Just accepted! Email sent at 1:47pm.

EmilyMennel

Postby EmilyMennel » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:00 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:
slawww wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:

That's what I've been offered as well. Mind PM-ing / posting where you plan on attending instead? Just out of curiosity. The more information we all have, the better decision we can make!
Last edited by EmilyMennel on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ramsdancer1

Postby ramsdancer1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:01 pm

arodasi wrote:Just accepted! Email sent at 1:47pm.

Congrats! Do you think you are going to attend Wake?

shaynislegend

Postby shaynislegend » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:43 pm

I had a tour on Friday, talk about an awesome campus.

arodasi

Postby arodasi » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:47 pm

ramsdancer1 wrote:

Not sure. Still waiting to hear from more schools. And plan to attend ASD. You?

ramsdancer1

Postby ramsdancer1 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:13 pm

arodasi wrote:
ramsdancer1 wrote:

Still waiting to hear from one more school but I'm pretty sure. Unless something crazy happens I will be attending Wake this fall. And I attended ASD in Feb. If you go to ASD, you should go to bar review. I went and it was a great way to meet law students and get a feel for Winston Salem.

Oh and if any accepted students hasn't joined the FB group...you prob should. There is way more people on the FB group than on here now.
Last edited by ramsdancer1 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arodasi

Postby arodasi » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:15 pm

ramsdancer1 wrote:
arodasi wrote:
ramsdancer1 wrote:

Still waiting to hear from one more school but I'm pretty sure. Unless something crazy happens I will be attending Wake this fall. And I attended ASD in Feb. If you go to ASD, you should go to bar review. I went and it was a great way to meet law students and get a feel for Winston Salem.

Will do. Thanks!

shaynislegend

Postby shaynislegend » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:35 pm

Does anyone know how ticket allotment goes for basketball and football games?

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:46 pm

shaynislegend wrote:Does anyone know how ticket allotment goes for basketball and football games?

I'm like 95% sure grad students get first dibs, that's the way most schools are.

harrjl9

Postby harrjl9 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:58 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
shaynislegend wrote:Does anyone know how ticket allotment goes for basketball and football games?

I'm like 95% sure grad students get first dibs, that's the way most schools are.

I go to a grad program Wake. Each graduate program is allotted a certain number of tickets. They are distributed differently for different sports. For football it is a first come basis. For basketball there is a lottery system, where you have to submit a form to the ticket holder. What they don't tell you, is that you can buy a "Screamin Demon" pass through the undergrad program (on the same campus as the Law school, only a 10 minute walk). This $25 ticket gives you guaranteed admission to every sporting event and gives you a closer spot to the action than the grad tickets. You also get a T-shirt for football and one for basketball.

shaynislegend

Postby shaynislegend » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:40 pm

harrjl9 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:

I go to a grad program Wake. Each graduate program is allotted a certain number of tickets. They are distributed differently for different sports. For football it is a first come basis. For basketball there is a lottery system, where you have to submit a form to the ticket holder. What they don't tell you, is that you can buy a "Screamin Demon" pass through the undergrad program (on the same campus as the Law school, only a 10 minute walk). This $25 ticket gives you guaranteed admission to every sporting event and gives you a closer spot to the action than the grad tickets. You also get a T-shirt for football and one for basketball.

I like that. Any idea if you can include a spouse in any of these deals?

*Edit: Spouse is not a student.

harrjl9

Postby harrjl9 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:33 pm

shaynislegend wrote:
harrjl9 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:

I like that. Any idea if you can include a spouse in any of these deals?

*Edit: Spouse is not a student.

Technically no. But the graduate school tickets do not have names on them. So the "best" thing to do is make friends with a 1L that hates sports and ask to use their ID to pick up tickets and get into games. You could also use their ID to buy "Screamin Demon" passes but you will need to use that same ID every game. The only game last season that they even check the ID's was Notre Dame football. They RARELY even look at the pictures (I used to use men's pictures to get in women and vice versa).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”