Wake Forest c/o 2016

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zackw618

Re: Wake Forest c/o 2016

Postby zackw618 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:06 pm

slawww wrote:
Ghost Bear wrote:
slawww wrote: I'm gonna go by myself since its more professional, I suppose.

Wait!?! What is this crap about being professional? Its not interview time again, is it? =P

Hahaha, I don't know, man!

zackw618 wrote:
A pretty significant amount of the students at ASD brought parents yesterday. I don't think there was any judging. I will say it seemed like those with parents there socialized less, but those of us alone felt awkward, so it evens out.

What do you consider a significant amount?

I'd guess about 40%?

Ghost Bear

Postby Ghost Bear » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:11 pm

2012Lsatscore wrote:
Ghost Bear wrote:
slawww wrote: I'm gonna go by myself since its more professional, I suppose.

Wait!?! What is this crap about being professional? Its not interview time again, is it? =P

2012Lsatscore wrote:
Shoot! On my budget, Papa John's is splurging. :) Usually, Fox Deluxe and Red Barron are more my speed. I will say though, the five dollar pizzas at Little Caesar's are cheap enough for once a week.

I'll do you one better. My old roomate works for Chipotle, and now I have all the recipes. Crock pot and my rice cooker. You bring the dead animal, I'll make Chiptole. 1Ls only lol

I think you are my favorite.

Wait till you meet me. :mrgreen: I'll change that feeling real quick lol. To say that I am blunt and abraisive would be putting it midly.

Poo-T

Postby Poo-T » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:25 pm

I'm gonna bring my mommy and daddy when I go :3

tony2167

Postby tony2167 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:12 pm

I'll be bringing my parents. They're financing whatever portion of my tuition isn't covered by scholarship, so I'd say they have every right to come.

Also, why would anyone consider it unprofessional to bring your parents to an ASD? It's not like you're gonna be meeting potential employers, unless you're gunning for one of those coveted school-funded jobs.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:27 pm

tony2167 wrote:I'll be bringing my parents. They're financing whatever portion of my tuition isn't covered by scholarship, so I'd say they have every right to come.

Also, why would anyone consider it unprofessional to bring your parents to an ASD? It's not like you're gonna be meeting potential employers, unless you're gunning for one of those coveted school-funded jobs.

The halo effect. You could be risking your entire life by bringing your parents to ASD.

tony2167

Postby tony2167 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:41 pm

You're probably right. Best to show up by myself. And drunk.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:44 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:
tony2167 wrote:I'll be bringing my parents. They're financing whatever portion of my tuition isn't covered by scholarship, so I'd say they have every right to come.

The halo effect. You could be risking your entire life by bringing your parents to ASD.

Lol. That was the best. No one will ever respect you if they see you with your parents.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:48 pm

cbarlow1016 wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:

Lol. That was the best. No one will ever respect you if they see you with your parents.

Am I gonna have to sit here and teach you kids sociology? Hide yo' mom. Hide yo' dad (but bring your wife).

WakeLawAdmDean

Postby WakeLawAdmDean » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:16 am

slawww wrote:
wannabelawstudent wrote:
slawww wrote:
smitza1 wrote:ASD was pretty sweet today. The coolest part about the day was going to the class. As stressful as law school sounds, I was very surprised to find a very relaxed atmosphere where it seemed like everyone supported one another. Seemed like a pretty chill environment (as far as law schools go). Def. made me more excited to attend Wake Law!

-Also, the food was dank. Probably going to go to the other acceptance days just for the cheesecake.

Hey! I'm attending the ASD on March 1st and I was wondering if anyone brought their parents with them? Thanks!

Edit: I don't think my parents are coming with me, but I'm curious either way.

The general advice is don't bring them, but there's no harm if you do(although some say its a career damaging move if you do). Some schools will have quite a few parents at it and some will only have a couple for whatever reason.

My advice is dont bring them, and Don't ask this question in the WUSTL thread.

Hahaha, true. I thought it'd be cool to bring my parents along since they never went to college, but I'm gonna go by myself since its more professional, I suppose.

I personally think you should being your parents. You'll need support and encouragement while you go through law school. Also I am guessing it will mean a great deal to them. Nobody and I mean nobody is going to judge you for bringing them to ASD. Now if they show up on campus after classes start other than parents weekend or graduation...

All kidding aside Wake offers a very open community and being a part of the Wake Law family means we want to know your parents and siblings. Of course, there are limits but it is not uncommon for families to bond with our community in all sorts of ways. Obviously you guys are adults, but I'd question any school that wants to exclude your parents from being a part of your discernment process.

Warm regards,
Jay Shively
Wake Law
Last edited by WakeLawAdmDean on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

mosquito

Postby mosquito » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:58 am

Dean Shively, I totally agree with you! Although I cannot attend the ASD due to the lack of Visa, I definitely will take my parents to visit the school before classes start. I will study in the US , very far from my country, for three years by myself, and my parents really concern about my safety. So letting them see how beautiful the campus is, how great the school is and how friendly my professors and classmates are will enable them to be assured. :)

Ghost Bear

Postby Ghost Bear » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:32 pm

tony2167 wrote:You're probably right. Best to show up by myself. And drunk.

+1

PM me and I'll explain why we must become friends. As long as you don't take yourself any more seriously than this comment implies.

slawww

Postby slawww » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:06 pm

WakeLawAdmDean wrote:
I personally think you should being your parents. You'll need support and encouragement while you go through law school. Also I am guessing it will mean a great deal to them. Nobody and I mean nobody is going to judge you for bringing them to ASD. Now if they show up on campus after classes start other than parents weekend or graduation...

All kidding aside Wake offers a very open community and being a part of the Wake Law family means we want to know your parents and siblings. Of course, there are limits but it is not uncommon for families to bond with our community in all sorts of ways. Obviously you guys are adults, but I'd question any school that wants to exclude your parents from being a part of your discernment process.

Warm regards,
Jay Shively
Wake Law

Thanks for the post, Dean Shively. It's pretty awesome that you answer questions on here.

ramsdancer1

Postby ramsdancer1 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:33 pm

ASD was great! I went down a day before and ended up going to the bar review which was fun. Winston Salem seems like a great place to live and go to school for a couple years. I met a few law students at the bar review and it was great to get an inside opinion. The students pretty much said the same the law school told us that professors are always available to help, it is not a cut throat environment, etc. I am pretty certain I will be attending Wake Forest in August.

DeltPreLaw

Postby DeltPreLaw » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:53 pm

Do decisions just come out every friday now?

WakeLawAdmDean

Postby WakeLawAdmDean » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:27 am

DeltPreLaw wrote:Do decisions just come out every friday now?

I don't expect to release decisions this week. The next set of decisions should be released sometime late next week.

If you have questions or concerns about your application, feel free to contact me.

Warm regards,
Jay Shively
Wake Law
(336) 758-5705
shivelrj@wfu.edu
law.wfu.edu

OzyM

Postby OzyM » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:06 am

Anyone else yet to receive an acceptance package or should I start getting suspicious of my mailman?

itachiuchiha

Postby itachiuchiha » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:36 am

Who cares if you bring your parents or not. Be glad you have them and stop worrying about how people will think of you for bringing your parents to asd. You have bigger things to worry about, like staying above the 50 or getting a job after school.

bamdog

Postby bamdog » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:59 am

itachiuchiha wrote:Who cares if you bring your parents or not. Be glad you have them and stop worrying about how people will think of you for bringing your parents to asd. You have bigger things to worry about, like staying above the 50 or getting a job after school.

exactly.

simplycatalina

Postby simplycatalina » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:01 am

OzyM wrote:Anyone else yet to receive an acceptance package or should I start getting suspicious of my mailman?

Still waiting on mine. I assume it was sent on Friday and I'm in CA so I'm not too worried.

slawww

Postby slawww » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Anyone else get that scholarship application invitation?

erin0715@me.com

Postby erin0715@me.com » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:50 pm

slawww wrote:Anyone else get that scholarship application invitation?

Yes. I received two different ones within 10 minutes.

slawww

Postby slawww » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:56 pm

erin0715@me.com wrote:

Same. I wonder it those get sent to all accepted students or a select group. If I got one of those in addition to my current scholly offer I would for sure be in Winston-Salem in August.

chem!

Postby chem! » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:51 am

slawww wrote:
erin0715@me.com wrote:

Same. I wonder it those get sent to all accepted students or a select group. If I got one of those in addition to my current scholly offer I would for sure be in Winston-Salem in August.

I got them both, FWIW.

Dmini7

Postby Dmini7 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:08 pm

Just withdrew my application. You all seem like a great bunch of people and I did not want to hold on to a spot at a school my heart wasn't in. I hope this helps someone get in off the waitlist! It also opened up 105k for those of you seeking scholarship negotiations. Best of luck to the remaining waiters.

zackw618

Postby zackw618 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:00 pm

slawww wrote:
erin0715@me.com wrote:

I agree! I'm having a tough time deciding between schools, but that would land me at Wake instantly.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”