Wake Forest c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wannabelawstudent

Gold

Re: Wake Forest c/o 2016

Post by wannabelawstudent » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:08 pm

got the interview invite too! woo hoo!

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:43 pm

slawww wrote:Got an invite to interview. I'm curious: what questions do they ask & has anyone who interviewed received $$? Thanks!
Dean Shively posted this earlier in this thread:

Yes, it is me. I am the Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid at Wake Forest University School of Law. I traditionally participate to some degree in TLS discussions primarily to make the admission process as transparent as possible. Feel free to pose questions and I'll respond as time allows. Also feel free to message me here or directly at the contact information I've provided below.

First, regarding our timetable for releasing decisions we will probably begin admitting people before the holidays. Initially our thought had been to wait until January 31 to release all decisions but we want to alleviate as much anxiety around the process as possible. Our goal is still to provide a decision to anyone who applies by January 4 on or before January 31. Of course, it doesn't mean we'll be able to tell everyone Admit or Deny by that date. Some folks will be waitlisted and potentially even placed on hold, but everyone should have a clear sense of where they stand with Wake. If you get a decision that confuses you in any way, please contact me.

Secondly, we have implemented an online interview function. We are excited to have more information about you. We want to see your face and hear you share ideas and thoughts about yourself that let us make a better decision about whether we're a good fit for you. Unfortunately we don't have the manpower to offer even half of our applicant pool a face to face interview. We see the interview option as a benefit to students.

Applicants selected to participate in the interview have been identified by the committee as we go through the initial review process. Some folks will be borderline candidates who we need to get to know better. Others may be obvious admits we are considering for scholarships. Regardless it is not meant to cause you undue anxiety. Some may just be applicants we love on paper and want to get to know more about. The opportunity we're providing is in response to requests from applicants through the years to have a chance to show "who they are" to the committee in a manageable and timely format. Using this technology we can see and hear you talk on relevant matters right when we're looking at your application. I promise this is a good thing.

Each interview should take less than 5 minutes. There will be two questions that start the interview common to all interviewees. Basically we start by asking "Why law school?" and then as one might expect, "Why Wake Law?". Then the last three questions are pulled from a pool of questions we've created to help us get to know you better. There's no right or wrong answers here. This exercise is about seeing how well you've thought about the questions we expect you'll have given serious thought to AND how well you can respond on the spot to general questions of interest about you. I hope you'll view this as an opportunity to provide the committee information we've been unable to process and provide before at exactly the time they need it to impact your file review. Of course, I am happy to meet with any of you who have the opportunity to visit campus or want to call and talk about Wake Law or the admissions process generally.

These seem to be the most pressing questions you guys have raised up until now. If I am missing something, message me. I'll check in a gain on here in the next couple of weeks and periodically throughout the process. I look forward to reading your applications and hope you'll come to visit us on campus.

Warmest regards,
Jay Shively
Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid
Wake Forest University | School of Law
(336) 758-5705 direct
shivelrj@wfu.edu
http://www.law.wfu.edu

ariadne328

Bronze

Post by ariadne328 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:25 pm

Out of curiosity, how many people who met the January 4 deadline have yet to hear anything? Do we think there will be one day with most of the remaining decisions, or a different days for each type?

I'm starting to get anxious now that it is the final week and there hasn't been a lot of movement recently.

joshuajsmith

New

Post by joshuajsmith » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:45 pm

ariadne328 wrote:Out of curiosity, how many people who met the January 4 deadline have yet to hear anything? Do we think there will be one day with most of the remaining decisions, or a different days for each type?

I'm starting to get anxious now that it is the final week and there hasn't been a lot of movement recently.
I've been complete since November. Haven't heard anything. Not optimistic since I'm below both medians.

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:46 pm

Pretty sure those who were asked to do interviews before 1/4 have yet to hear anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bandenjamin

Bronze

Post by bandenjamin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:07 pm

jrstephens1991 wrote:Pretty sure those who were asked to do interviews before 1/4 have yet to hear anything.
Did my interview in December and was accepted in January

Kaytei

New

Post by Kaytei » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:12 pm

I did my interview in December and was accepted with money a few weeks ago. I actually really liked the interview. It gave me a chance to say things about myself that were difficult put in the application.

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:16 pm

Copy pasting this from the lounge, but some general advice for the interview in case you are worried about using the cam

"Print out a picture of a friend's face and cut out a little hole between their eyes to fit over the webcam on your computer, so you can look your buddy in the face while you speak."

Circlewave

Bronze

Post by Circlewave » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:54 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Copy pasting this from the lounge, but some general advice for the interview in case you are worried about using the cam

"Print out a picture of a friend's face and cut out a little hole between their eyes to fit over the webcam on your computer, so you can look your buddy in the face while you speak."
that seems even weirder than just talking to a camera.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jrstephens1991

Bronze

Post by jrstephens1991 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:22 pm

bandenjamin wrote:
jrstephens1991 wrote:Pretty sure those who were asked to do interviews before 1/4 have yet to hear anything.
Did my interview in December and was accepted in January
Well scratch that.

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:27 pm

Kaytei wrote:I did my interview in December and was accepted with money a few weeks ago. I actually really liked the interview. It gave me a chance to say things about myself that were difficult put in the application.
Did you get any $$?

bandenjamin

Bronze

Post by bandenjamin » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:30 pm

slawww wrote:
Kaytei wrote:I did my interview in December and was accepted with money a few weeks ago. I actually really liked the interview. It gave me a chance to say things about myself that were difficult put in the application.
Did you get any $$?
Yes, the scholarship (decent compared to tuition) was in the acceptance email along with stipulations (Good standing).

sdmelzer

New

Post by sdmelzer » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:31 pm

ramsdancer1 wrote:
Congrats on your acceptance. Yeah, that would be cool. I'm glad someone is going. No one else has really said they were attending admitted student day. I am coming down the day before since I don't live in NC. So if you want to meet up on campus the day before or the morning of just let me know.

I'm not sure what my timetable will be like yet (I live in Raleigh). It would probably be easier to meet up the morning of. I'll let you know when I have firmer plans. And congrats on your acceptance as well :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ash0117

Bronze

Post by ash0117 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:37 pm

Those of you coming to admitted students day, PM me if you want any advice, info, or you want to meet up. Hopefully some of you will
Get to sit in on my class :)

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:41 pm

Am I suppose to wear a suit for the interview? (never done a webcam interview before).

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:31 pm

ash0117 wrote:Those of you coming to admitted students day, PM me if you want any advice, info, or you want to meet up. Hopefully some of you will
Get to sit in on my class :)
2L here that would also be willing to meet up with any TLSers that want to grab dinner or drinks.

chem!

Platinum

Post by chem! » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Just completed the video interview. It went pretty well except for one section where I finished a few seconds early. I'm glad it's over and out of my hands.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

slawww

Silver

Post by slawww » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:55 pm

chemteacher wrote:Just completed the video interview. It went pretty well except for one section where I finished a few seconds early. I'm glad it's over and out of my hands.

Aside from the standard questions, what did they ask, if you don't mind?

chem!

Platinum

Post by chem! » Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:07 pm

I just watched my video, and I am really happy with it. I hope they don't mind my mint green fingernails. :lol:

gettinthatjd

New

Post by gettinthatjd » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:09 pm

Hey everyone,

I was also asked to submit a video interview by Jan 25th (if I wanted a decision made by Jan. 31st). Anxiety caused me to wait til the last minute--I hope that doesn't adversely affect me. I'm not thrilled with how it went--at all. I usually rock at interviews, but this just felt awkward.

Anyway, just wanted to throw that out there... Does anyone know if Wake only notifies on Fridays? Cause this is gonna kill me all week. Wake is definitely my top-choice. Also... has anyone who submitted a video interview not been accepted?

Thanks yall! And good luck to everyone =)

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:24 pm

Just did the video interview but it had an error submitting and I had to request a redo....fml. I hope this doesn't hurt mu application.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chem!

Platinum

Post by chem! » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:28 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:Just did the video interview but it had an error submitting and I had to request a redo....fml. I hope this doesn't hurt mu application.
If the error wasn't of your doing, I can't think they would judge you harshly for it.

I submitted mine yesterday, but my status checker hasn't changed to indicate it yet. *chews nails*

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:33 pm

I don't think it was an error. After the interview I left the page open for like 10 minutes before it prompted me if I wanted to leave the page. I checked the submission and it said error.....just sucks cause I submitted the resubmission request and I know I just have to wait a bit longer now :(

mosquito

Bronze

Post by mosquito » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:48 pm

I emailed Wake two times. But they never replied me....What does this mean?...

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:49 pm

mosquito wrote:I emailed Wake two times. But they never replied me....What does this mean?...
Probably nothing. What were the emails about?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”