Wake Forest c/o 2016 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mosquito

Bronze

Re: Wake Forest c/o 2016

Post by mosquito » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:00 pm

pifhib2 wrote:
mosquito wrote:I emailed Wake two times. But they never replied me....What does this mean?...
Probably nothing. What were the emails about?
In my first email, I asked some questions about the interview.
In second email, I asked whether they have received my interview because my status checker still shows "interview request via email" after I actually finished the interview.

ramsdancer1

Bronze

Post by ramsdancer1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:44 pm

I have been researching salaries and graduation statistics for Wake but I have found some a huge variation in this information from different sites. I have read that the average salary is $80,000 from newsweek and $115,000 from tls and$100,000 from other places. Of course the years are different tls is from 2007 and newsweek is probably like 2010 or something. I just couldn't imagine that great of a difference in a few years. I looked on Wakes website but couldn't find salary info. Does anyone know where to get the most recent/ most reliable info?
Last edited by ramsdancer1 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:24 pm

ramsdancer1 wrote:I have been researching salaries and graduation statistics for Wake but I have found some a hudge variation in this information from different sites. I have read that the average salary is $80,000 from newsweek and $115,000 from tls and$100,000 from other places. Of course the years are different tls is from 2007 and newsweek is probably like 2010 or something. I just couldn't imagine that great of a difference in a few years. I looked on Wakes website but couldn't find salary info. Does anyone know where to get the most recent/ most reliable info?
I don't think that salary is a good indicator of success. For instance, cost of living in NYC is twice what CoL in WS is. Graduate salary reports don't consider this sort of disparity. However, if you really want some numbers, you could try talking to someone that works for the law school. More numbers are reported to law schools than are published online.

Rather than really focusing on graduate salaries, I would consider the sort of statistics found here.
It's not a good sign if you see a bunch of recent graduates going solo or working in non-JD positions. It's also not a good sign if a large percentage of students are reported as 'unknown.' If you see a bunch of graduates in JD required positions, mid/large firms, and the like, you know that prospects are decent.

chem!

Platinum

Post by chem! » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:50 pm

mosquito wrote:
pifhib2 wrote:
mosquito wrote:I emailed Wake two times. But they never replied me....What does this mean?...
Probably nothing. What were the emails about?
In my first email, I asked some questions about the interview.
In second email, I asked whether they have received my interview because my status checker still shows "interview request via email" after I actually finished the interview.
My status shows the same thing. I completed the video interview on 1/28. Since the video site shows it as submitted, I'm going to assume that my status simply hasn't been updated yet.

ramsdancer1

Bronze

Post by ramsdancer1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:41 pm

pifhib2 wrote: I don't think that salary is a good indicator of success. For instance, cost of living in NYC is twice what CoL in WS is. Graduate salary reports don't consider this sort of disparity. However, if you really want some numbers, you could try talking to someone that works for the law school. More numbers are reported to law schools than are published online.

Rather than really focusing on graduate salaries, I would consider the sort of statistics found here.
It's not a good sign if you see a bunch of recent graduates going solo or working in non-JD positions. It's also not a good sign if a large percentage of students are reported as 'unknown.' If you see a bunch of graduates in JD required positions, mid/large firms, and the like, you know that prospects are decent.
Thanks! I agree that graduation statistics about the type of job are important too. I have looked at thoes for Wake. My biggest reason for wanting to know the salary stats is because another school I was accepted to has similar employment stats but it would be almost free for me to attend there. Therefore, if the placement is the same, to justify taking out an ungodly amount of money for wake I need to make sure the financial return from Wake is worth it. I have asked Wake so hopefully they will tell me. Thanks for your input!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:11 pm

ramsdancer1 wrote: Thanks! I agree that graduation statistics about the type of job are important too. I have looked at thoes for Wake. My biggest reason for wanting to know the salary stats is because another school I was accepted to has similar employment stats but it would be almost free for me to attend there. Therefore, if the placement is the same, to justify taking out an ungodly amount of money for wake I need to make sure the financial return from Wake is worth it. I have asked Wake so hopefully they will tell me. Thanks for your input!
If they are similarly ranked, consider trying to leverage your offer from school x to see if WFU will increase its offer.

ramsdancer1

Bronze

Post by ramsdancer1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:21 pm

pifhib2 wrote:
ramsdancer1 wrote: Thanks! I agree that graduation statistics about the type of job are important too. I have looked at thoes for Wake. My biggest reason for wanting to know the salary stats is because another school I was accepted to has similar employment stats but it would be almost free for me to attend there. Therefore, if the placement is the same, to justify taking out an ungodly amount of money for wake I need to make sure the financial return from Wake is worth it. I have asked Wake so hopefully they will tell me. Thanks for your input!
If they are similarly ranked, consider trying to leverage your offer from school x to see if WFU will increase its offer.
Yeah I will try that. I talked to Wake and they say they rarely do that. The other school, utk, will mainly be so cheap bc im an instate student. Thanks for your help!

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:27 pm

I stopped by admissions a bit ago and mentioned that ya'll are having issues with your interviews/status checkers. They're aware, hopefully they'll have it fixed soon.

And UTK and WFU are probably too far apart for you to leverage into money, unfortunately.

fragrock

Bronze

Post by fragrock » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:30 pm

Based on the previous statements by the Dean, there should be a good bit of movement tomorrow to beat that January 31 deadline. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chem!

Platinum

Post by chem! » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:26 pm

pifhib2 wrote:I stopped by admissions a bit ago and mentioned that ya'll are having issues with your interviews/status checkers. They're aware, hopefully they'll have it fixed soon.

And UTK and WFU are probably too far apart for you to leverage into money, unfortunately.
Thanks for doing that. :)

ramsdancer1

Bronze

Post by ramsdancer1 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:18 pm

pifhib2 wrote:I stopped by admissions a bit ago and mentioned that ya'll are having issues with your interviews/status checkers. They're aware, hopefully they'll have it fixed soon.

Well that was really nice of you! But, yeah I know I doubt I will get to leverage any money from Wake but if I decide to go to UTK, which I seriously doubt, I could leverage money from them. I'm hoping to hear back from emory with a scholarship because then I could probably get some more scholarship money. Thanks for your help! I'll message you when student day gets closer to see if you still want to meet up.

For everyone else, I talked to Wake and they said the median salary after graduation is $85,000.

pifhib2

New

Post by pifhib2 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:45 pm

ramsdancer1 wrote:
For everyone else, I talked to Wake and they said the median salary after graduation is $85,000.
I like Wake, I really do. But I don't trust that number and I wouldn't trust the numbers published by ANY other school. Here are the numbers reported by LST for 2010. 84k median, of the 54 (32.3% of the class) private sector students that reported salaries. For reference, the same year 45/30.8% of UTK's 2010 class reported: $60,000 median.

I guess these numbers could be somewhat useful to compare schools, but I don't think that you should focus on numbers reported by less than a third of students. ~30% just seems like far too small of a set to draw from. The sample is self-selected too, which just makes it worse. It's not a problem with WFU, or UTK; it's a problem with the whole law school system.

Ghost Bear

New

Post by Ghost Bear » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:03 pm

Who else here didn't have to do one of the video interviews?

I had originally considered Wake, but left it at the bottom of my list. Then after an abysmal performance on the test of infinite funness, compared to my practice tests, I started to worry about getting into any of the schools I wanted. I was lucky enough to meet Dean Shively at a lsac forum and have semi-kept in touch with him over the application process. I ended up having about an hour long chat on the phone with him a couple of days ago, thus solidifying Wake as a top choice. The money is a decent factor, do not get me wrong, but it is the attention of a person so high up to someone who is only a prospective student that sold me. I just barely made their deadlines and true to their word they notified me on time. For those of you who haven't heard yet, but made the deadlines, I wish you luck and hope the best.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:17 pm

Ghost Bear wrote:Who else here didn't have to do one of the video interviews?

I had originally considered Wake, but left it at the bottom of my list. Then after an abysmal performance on the test of infinite funness, compared to my practice tests, I started to worry about getting into any of the schools I wanted. I was lucky enough to meet Dean Shively at a lsac forum and have semi-kept in touch with him over the application process. I ended up having about an hour long chat on the phone with him a couple of days ago, thus solidifying Wake as a top choice. The money is a decent factor, do not get me wrong, but it is the attention of a person so high up to someone who is only a prospective student that sold me. I just barely made their deadlines and true to their word they notified me on time. For those of you who haven't heard yet, but made the deadlines, I wish you luck and hope the best.
#'s and scholarship amount? Just curious. Also, do you think your personal contact with the Dean helped with getting more money?

Ghost Bear

New

Post by Ghost Bear » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:45 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
Ghost Bear wrote:Who else here didn't have to do one of the video interviews?

#'s and scholarship amount? Just curious. Also, do you think your personal contact with the Dean helped with getting more money?

No, I didn't feel like the Dean treated me any different than he would any other person. He is genuinely a decent human being and took an interest in every person that I saw him interacting with at the forum.
My numbers are on par with Wake Forest's range, but given the turmoil in the application pool this year, who knows. It might be that my darling 164/3.75lsac gpa was strengthened because I am 30, had a couple businesses that included a bar with a couple friends and my own book store. Then again it could have been that I was on the cover of Men in Kilts 2013 Calendar :oops: . LOL, yes its real. Yes, I do recommend you look and laugh. It was for charity.

Dmini7

Silver

Post by Dmini7 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:51 pm

[img]greatness[/img]

please tell me that is you.

On a serious note, your numbers suggest you were well deserving of whatever scholarship they offered you. Congratulations on your hard work and I am glad Wake Forest has become a top choice for you.
Last edited by Dmini7 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost Bear

New

Post by Ghost Bear » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:59 pm

Dmini7 wrote:
please tell me that is you.

On a serious note, your numbers suggest you were well deserving of whatever scholarship they offered you. Congratulations on your hard work and I am glad Wake Forest has become a top choice for you.
:mrgreen: I knew someone would do that. I think I am embarrassed...wait. Nope.

lol thanks for that.

As far as the numbers, they are all over the place. For anyone really worried, I'll leave you with this. A friend of mine was accepted by U of Minn with lots of money, with two 155 lsats and a 3.82 gpa. He is an amazing person and wrote an exceptional personal statement. His extracurriculars were modest in amount, but were strong nonetheless. Goes to show, just reach.

(Sarcasm) Take that picture down

Put it back up lol

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Silver

Post by 2013 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:35 am

Last edited by 2013 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

ramsdancer1

Bronze

Post by ramsdancer1 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:24 am

pifhib2 wrote:
ramsdancer1 wrote:
I like Wake, I really do. But I don't trust that number and I wouldn't trust the numbers published by ANY other school. Here are the numbers reported by LST for 2010. 84k median, of the 54 (32.3% of the class) private sector students that reported salaries. For reference, the same year 45/30.8% of UTK's 2010 class reported: $60,000 median.

I guess these numbers could be somewhat useful to compare schools, but I don't think that you should focus on numbers reported by less than a third of students. ~30% just seems like far too small of a set to draw from. The sample is self-selected too, which just makes it worse. It's not a problem with WFU, or UTK; it's a problem with the whole law school system.
Yeah that is true. There is a problem with the whole system. The numbers do have to be taken with a grain of salt. I was just providing Wake's median becuase it was hard to find and others in my same situation may want to know. Thanks for your help...I didn't realize it only included 30% of students thats crazy.

mosquito

Bronze

Post by mosquito » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:31 am

For applications before 4 Jan, decisions will be released today?

wannabelawstudent

Gold

Post by wannabelawstudent » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:53 am

Got my reinterview request approved. Hope to record it over the weekend.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mosquito

Bronze

Post by mosquito » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:25 pm

Is there any decision released today?

mittz

New

Post by mittz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:10 pm

Waitlist. meh.

mosquito

Bronze

Post by mosquito » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:11 pm

mittz wrote:Waitlist. meh.
How did you know the decision? email or status checker?

mittz

New

Post by mittz » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:14 pm

mosquito wrote:
mittz wrote:Waitlist. meh.
How did you know the decision? email or status checker?

Sent it by email a little bit ago

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”